Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Equium

Does anyone have recent experience of flying with Aeroflot? I came across and subsequently booked an amazing deal for Paris CDG-Moscow SVO-Tokyo NRT-Moscow SVO-London LHR in July. Whilst I have heard that they have improved considerably in recent years, my enduring image of them is an airline with a less-than-decent safety record. Are they comparable nowadays to the likes of Air France, BA or KLM, etc.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Equium

Thanks. Their fleet does seem quite modern but I've had a hard time convincing my travel companion that they have improved in recent years.

For that month, going via Moscow is between 50 and 60% cheaper than the next cheapest alternative of Turkish Airlines via Istanbul. I paid less than €300 in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

there you go - you give the devil a finger and it will take the entire hand, MOL not happy about passengers abusing the 2 bag allowance, we just cant have nice things in today's society..

http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/ryanair-threatens-to-ban-second-free-bag-35396156.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The New Cuddly image is falling apart - the cut in free online checkin time window was a particularly major one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

martinsvi wrote: »
    there you go - you give the devil a finger and it will take the entire hand, MOL not happy about passengers abusing the 2 bag allowance, we just cant have nice things in today's society..

http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/ryanair-threatens-to-ban-second-free-bag-35396156.html

I kind of understand where he's coming from though. I've seen people with a carry on bag and an absolutely gigantic handbag, it is too much to be trying to get away with. People do need to realise you can't go away for a week comfortably with a carry on bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

pilly wrote: »
    I kind of understand where he's coming from though. I've seen people with a carry on bag and an absolutely gigantic handbag, it is too much to be trying to get away with. People do need to realise you can't go away for a week comfortably with a carry on bag.

Any bloke can, pack enough for one week in a carry on bag. I've been doing it for years and I'll be doing it in 12 days time again :)

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Any bloke can, pack enough for one week in a carry on bag. I been doing it for years and I'll be doing it in 12 days time again :)

Okay maybe I should have said women! :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Pat Dunne wrote: »

Any bloke can, pack enough for one week in a carry on bag. I been doing it for years and I'll be doing it in 12 days time again :)

While I'm sure Michael Oleary is not wrong about people taking the piss with the 2nd bag restricting it to ONE piece only still won't solve the problem of bags being gate checked into the hold. 
    For example I use Easyjet a lot, they strictly allow ONE piece of hand luggage per passenger ONLY. On full flights they still end up putting 50% of the trolly cases into the hold. 
    Yes a bloke can pack a weeks worth of clothes into a standard regulation size carry on case, trouble is if 180 blokes, who all had the same idea show up at the gate, all of their bags simply won't fit.
    This problem has got progressively worse over the years and for 2 main reasons, firstly travellers have become more savvy, 5/10 years ago people who only traveled once or twice a year would have almost automatically put a case in the hold, particularly if going on a holidays! Now people have stopped doing that altogether unless absolutely necessary, now everyone has the same idea, and that idea is "hand luggage only". Ive experienced working as cabin crew for a number of years, when i first started, boarding a Malaga flight(sun/holiday destination) was no trouble at all, this demographic of passengers alway seemed to have hold luggage, now its a very very different experience and these fights have major hand luggage issues. 
    Secondly, load factors are constantly on the rise, more passengers on the aircraft  means more bags, in the past boarding a 70% full flight, you might have managed ok with hand luggage, now airlines are packing out flights, they are mostly 90-100% full and this coupled with more people bringing hand luggage only has created this nightmare for passengers and airlines. 
    The way forward i see this going is a la American Airlines and United Airlines- basic economy tickets where hand luggage larger than laptop bag will be charged for.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Not just women abusing the 2 bag rule yano....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Okay maybe I should have said women! :P

Now you're giving MOL ideas wait hold the presses, I can just see it now "MOL Restricts Wimin to One Piece of Cabin Baggage"!

Locker10a wrote: »
    While I'm sure Michael Oleary is not wrong about people taking the piss with the 2nd bag restricting it to ONE piece only still won't solve the problem of bags being gate checked into the hold.
    For example I use Easyjet a lot, they strictly allow ONE piece of hand luggage per passenger ONLY. On full flights they still end up putting 50% of the trolly cases into the hold.
    Yes a bloke can pack a weeks worth of clothes into a standard regulation size carry on case, trouble is if 180 blokes, who all had the same idea show up at the gate, all of their bags simply won't fit.
    This problem has got progressively worse over the years and for 2 main reasons, firstly travellers have become more savvy, 5/10 years ago people who only traveled once or twice a year would have almost automatically put a case in the hold, particularly if going on a holidays! Now people have stopped doing that altogether unless absolutely necessary, now everyone has the same idea, and that idea is "hand luggage only". Ive experienced working as cabin crew for a number of years, when i first started, boarding a Malaga flight(sun/holiday destination) was no trouble at all, this demographic of passengers alway seemed to have hold luggage, now its a very very different experience and these fights have major hand luggage issues.
    Secondly, load factors are constantly on the rise, more passengers on the aircraft means more bags, in the past boarding a 70% full flight, you might have managed ok with hand luggage, now airlines are packing out flights, they are mostly 90-100% full and this coupled with more people bringing hand luggage only has created this nightmare for passengers and airlines.
    The way forward i see this going is a la American Airlines and United Airlines- basic economy tickets where hand luggage larger than laptop bag will be charged for.

I honestly don't see how that would help. People need clothes on holidays. If there's a charge for hand luggage then they will check in a bag. Ryanair doesn't want check in bags as it slows the process.

Secondly, load factors are constantly on the rise, more passengers on the aircraft  means more bags, in the past boarding a 70% full flight, you might have managed ok with hand luggage, now airlines are packing out flights, they are mostly 90-100% full and this coupled with more people bringing hand luggage only has created this nightmare for passengers and airlines.

I honestly don't see how that would help. People need clothes on holidays. If there's a charge for hand luggage then they will check in a bag. Ryanair doesn't want check in bags as it slows the process.
    There is no solution to Michaels problem, as you say people need clothes, but the current situation is really slowing down boarding and subsequently the quick turnaround, in fact at some airports ryanair have abandoned their quick turn and scheduled 40 mins. A charge for hand luggage would deter people from brining so much into the cabin,im sure there are people who bring unnecessary hand luggage just because they can, this would speed up boarding and turnaround. Yes it may mean more bags in the hold, but bags are loaded into the aircraft at twice maybe 3 times the speed of passengers.

There is no solution to Michaels problem, as you say people need clothes, but the current situation is really slowing down boarding and subsequently the quick turnaround, in fact at some airports ryanair have abandoned their quick turn and scheduled 40 mins. A charge for hand luggage would deter people from brining so much into the cabin,im sure there are people who bring unnecessary hand luggage just because they can, this would speed up boarding and turnaround. Yes it may mean more bags in the hold, but bags are loaded into the aircraft at twice maybe 3 times the speed of passengers.

So why doesn't MOL want bags in the hold?

So why doesn't MOL want bags in the hold?
    I think he's referring to the placement of gate check bags into the hold, the excessive amount of hand luggage as meant most of it having to go into the hold, this is slowing things down a lot.

There must be fuel considerations too with all the baggage?
    Id almost put money on it that when fuel prises rise in the coming years airlines will start to charge for hand luggage!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I've posted before about taking liquids etc in cabin size bags and asking at the desk would they check in (free). Admittedly always AL, both at Dublin and Faro and Tenerife. Never been refused. Old Ts for around the pool, new Ts for walking around and dump them all before coming home, cheaper than buying a bag on board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭chinwag

Id almost put money on it that when fuel prises rise in the coming years airlines will start to charge for hand luggage!

And what about all the duty free booze taken on board?

chinwag wrote: »

And what about all the duty free booze taken on board?

Well if you look at the policy of Wow Air, Wizz air, America airlines(basic fare) and United airlines(basic economy) the rules are, a laptop size bag which can fit under the seat infront of you is free, trolly cases for the overhead locker are charged for. I think we will see this type of policy rolled out across the industry over the coming years.
    I can see Ryanair offering a new fare product, the cheapest seats will be sold as "under seat/personal item only" with more expensive fares including a standard carry on case, and then their other fare types offering even more frills. 3 boarding groups, firstly priority boarding, then passengers who have paid for trolly cases, then all remaining passengers who booked "personal item only" fares. 
    Ryanair must be watching WowAir and Wizz very closely, and the extra revenue they're making from baggage fees must be making O'learys mouth water.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭chinwag

Well if you look at the policy of Wow Air, Wizz air, America airlines(basic fare) and United airlines(basic economy) the rules are, a laptop size bag which can fit under the seat infront of you is free, trolly cases for the overhead locker are charged for. I think we will see this type of policy rolled out across the industry over the coming years.
    I can see Ryanair offering a new fare product, the cheapest seats will be sold as "under seat/personal item only" with more expensive fares including a standard carry on case, and then their other fare types offering even more frills. 3 boarding groups, firstly priority boarding, then passengers who have paid for trolly cases, then all remaining passengers who booked "personal item only" fares.
    Ryanair must be watching WowAir and Wizz very closely, and the extra revenue they're making from baggage fees must be making O'learys mouth water.

Interesting points there. It looks like it would make boarding more complicated.

I've often wondered why luggage, in general, gets so much attention regarding weight, etc. and then you walk into duty free shops and can buy bottles of booze that are heavy in weight and can be quite clumsy to store overhead. It seems to make a bit of a joke of the luggage restrictions. I imagine it must make life more difficult for cabin crew as well.

Wonder would airlines be reluctant to levy duty free items like booze?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

chinwag wrote: »
    Interesting points there. It looks like it would make boarding more complicated.

I've often wondered why luggage, in general, gets so much attention regarding weight, etc. and then you walk into duty free shops and can buy bottles of booze that are heavy in weight and can be quite clumsy to store overhead. It seems to make a bit of a joke of the luggage restrictions. I imagine it must make life more difficult for cabin crew as well.

Wonder would airlines be reluctant to levy duty free items like booze?

The weight used on the loadsheet for a pax on a Ryanair aircraft includes an allowance of 10kgs for cabin bags, regardless if you have one or not. Thats why its not really a problem with buying Duty Free and bringing it on board, its already accounted for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

The airports mightn't be so welcoming if they banned duty free. EJ are a good example ; strictly one bag and one duty free bag. We have often used used an old duty free bag to carry stuff that wouldn't fit in the case, but you have to buy something from duty free now and again as the airports keep changing the bags.

I could see them banning duty free bags from coming on board unless paid for. The airports will kick up a fuss for sure.
    Possibly, however I don't think that will happen, airlines are the actually the cause of duty free and other airport shops. Airlines want to pay the absolute LOWEST fees to airports as is possible, airport fees are just another cost to airlines.
    The likes of ryanair pay next to nothing in fees at many airports, this is a huge loss of income to the airport, who themselves are trying to make a profit. So they have resorted to renting out their premises to retail in order to create revenue. Thats now how airports make profit. So while heavy bottles of duty free may cost airlines more in fuel due to weight, the shops selling them are a source of income for the airport that that mean airlines have the lower fees they demanded

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If airports lose that revenue source they will massively whack up landing/passenger charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Wicklowleaid

Am wondering when Ryanair will allow booking of flights to the UK from Dublin for December if anyone every knew approximately?

• Advertisement

Am wondering when Ryanair will allow booking of flights to the UK from Dublin for December if anyone every knew approximately?

Should be available, most other routes are with other airlines etc, I say keep checking over the next fee days/weeks

Advertisement