Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

joeysoap wrote: »
    Locker10a wrote: »
    If I was you I'd still check in the 30hrs before and select the free seat. Turn up to the airport, Mobile boarding pass ready to go, approach security and ask a member of staff if it's ok to use (don't mention what the EI website says) just play dumb!
    Worst case scanario you're turned away and have to go to the desk! But the benefit of this is at the desk they will only be "reprinting" your boarding passes, and thus you will still have the seats you selected.
    If the EI mobile app simply doesn't allow you check in for FAO at all, then proceed on their main website checkin, select seat, and just print from the desk, again requesting a "reprint"  from airport staff.
    I've done this many times with no issues and take about 30 seconds at the desk

Just for information, Al do not have mobile boarding at Faro, you either buy a seat in advance, find an Internet cafe with a printer or just plain queue up and get allocated a seat. I did the latter and got 4D (another bug bear of mine, when you check in on line you are charged for the front 6? Rows, turn up at the airport and they are the ones nearly always allocated.) Turned out there was passengers in 4 E and F but nobody in 4A, B or C so I just indicated to the CC that I was going to 4C and she replied that was grand.

I think you just missed my point, If like suspected mobile boarding pass wasn't allowed my advice was to check in online on the desktop site, but just don't print the boarding pass(unless you have access to a printer), this way you still have to que but get to select your seats(as the check in agent will just reprint the seats you've chosen online), it works well if you're fussy about having a window/aisle seat etc or want to ensure your group are together. 
    Airlines always keep a certain number of seats for airport check in so to sort out any seat reassignment issue that may occur with PRMs, separated families, aircraft changes etc. and you're correct that the "choice" seats if not sold are often available at check in on full or busy flights.
    You may also notice with EI the never allow you to select row 10 and 24 when choosing seats as these are the Exit rows for the A321, so if the aircraft gets upgraded closer to the flight the exit row(extra legroom) passengers can be accommodated in these rows and also this prevents families with children etc. having to be moved .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Thanks Locker 10a, I got your point alright, I was solo and just decided that as the flight was going to be nowhere near full, and as I had to join the queue anyway why even bother checking in, got to airport around 4.30 and AL had 3 check in desks open, no passengers at any them, two ladies chatting away to each other and the guy called me to his desk (with gold circle or something like that on the overhead display) and he issued the ticket in 1 min flat, didn't have to show booking, just passport. Aircraft was DER showing bit of wear, nothing serious, overhead light not working and tray in front wouldn't sit down properly. Lovely flight though, departed only a few mins late and arrived 30 mins early. I take your points about keeping a few seats , but both AL AND RY discourage anyone who actually books a seat from booking the 'choice' seats by making them overly expensive, and then in case of AL they give them away free at the airport to the very passengers they should be encouraging to check in online and in the case of RY it's well documented the later you checkin online the better chance you have of getting one of their 'choice' seats. In a busier period I would definitely do it your way though. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Many used to but couldn't maintain profitability flights against giants Ryanair and Aer Lingus who offer low fare competition

I'm hardly surprised when you could get a return flight with FR/EI to Poland for €100 odd, with LOT it was nearly 4 times the price

billie1b wrote: »
    Many used to but couldn't maintain profitability flights against giants Ryanair and Aer Lingus who offer low fare competition

I'm hardly surprised when you could get a return flight with FR/EI to Poland for €100 odd, with LOT it was nearly 4 times the price
    There are many legacy airlines serving dublin, who offer all the frills, however LOT could sustain Dublin flights as its mainly a point to point market and at that one with very low yields, Lufthansa, Swiss etc offer flights that can firstly connect to their huge long haul markets, and secondly serve markets that attract a lot of business passengers withe corporate expenses etc and thus theres a higher yield

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭NORWOOD1

Hi all

I am flying Air France premium economy from CDG to SIN in April. Just wondering if anyone has flown with Air France and what the seats are like for sleeping on the 12 hour flight?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

There are many legacy airlines serving dublin, who offer all the frills, however LOT could sustain Dublin flights as its mainly a point to point market and at that one with very low yields, Lufthansa, Swiss etc offer flights that can firstly connect to their huge long haul markets, and secondly serve markets that attract a lot of business passengers withe corporate expenses etc and thus theres a higher yield

I can see why the likes of LOT, Brussels Airlines and TAP Portugal don't fly here but I think Austrian Airlines could do well here. Only Aer Lingus fly to Vienna and Austrian have lots of long-haul connections as well.

VG31 wrote: »
    I can see why the likes of LOT, Brussels Airlines and TAP Portugal don't fly here but I think Austrian Airlines could do well here. Only Aer Lingus fly to Vienna and Austrian have lots of long-haul connections as well.

Ramp rumour has it Brussels Airlines to fly here during the summer, nothing has developed since I heard about it a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,324 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

VG31 wrote: »

So too does Austrian's parent, Lufthansa. I doubt the decision would be made on a standalone basis. Perhaps their view is that the additional connecting traffic can be dealt with already.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,324 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

6-7 inches more legroom and a fixed shell seat so that the seat in front slides rather than reclines into you. Fixed armrests too, I believe. More space, fewer seats etc but sleep will be as noise dependent as any cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Ramp rumour has it Brussels Airlines to fly here during the summer, nothing has developed since I heard about it a month ago.

Their Belfast attempt didn't exactly work out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I actually got to try out their Premium Economy yesterday, unfortunately it was just a short hop from London to Paris on their 787 Dreamliner but it gave me a good idea of what to expect on a longer flight.

The seat itself feels very 'premium' being in its own shell with additional stowage, power outlets, USB charging, noise cancelling headphones and a very large personal screen. The seat itself doesn't recline in the traditional way, it slides forwards and down into its own shell which I don't find particularly comfortable but it does mean the seat in front of you never reclines into your personal space. I'm guessing your flight will be operated by a 777-300ER so the configuration will be a 2-4-2 layout, pick a window or aisle seat and the feeling of additional space will be increased. 

I travelled in World Traveller Plus with British Airways to New York last year, the Air France seat has them beat in almost every category, the only thing better with British Airways was the fact it was one of their 747s with old style cushioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Then you have Brussels Airlines, Aer Lingus AND Ryanair all on the same route, and I reckon you'd be hard pushed to find enough demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Hey guys, I'm planning on flying Singapore to Dublin economy over the summer and just checking prices at the moment, I usually fly with Etihad but with Qatar starting up over the summer I'd be interested in giving them a try. Prices are broadly similar so just wondering if anyone has tried both and which they prefer? Also what's Doha airport like compared to Abu Dhabi?

As far as I can tell, Qatar will be a 3-3-3 layout in both flights which is leaning me towards them as I'm not a fan of the 3-4-3 on the Dublin flight with Etihad.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

SN at least have some interesting connection options (Africa); but I wouldn't think there's huge demand for them.

L1011 wrote: »
    SN at least have some interesting connection options (Africa); but I wouldn't think there's huge demand for them.

The logical solution would be a codeshare with EI if they wanted to offer Ireland-Africa connections

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

I actually got to try out their Premium Economy yesterday, unfortunately it was just a short hop from London to Paris on their 787 Dreamliner but it gave me a good idea of what to expect on a longer flight.

They have Dreamliners flying from Paris to London?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Shannon757 wrote: »
    They have Dreamliners flying from Paris to London?

Probably just introducing it on short routes so cabin crew get used to it before it's put on the longer sectors...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Just a quick one. Are you still allowed to take shaving kit in hand luggage these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

P_1 wrote: »
    Just a quick one. Are you still allowed to take shaving kit in hand luggage these days?

As long as you've no liquids above 100ml you're fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

P_1 wrote: »

Yes, you can bring a standard style razor (Gillette, Wilkinson Sword etc) in your carry on bag or checked in luggage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Qatar will be a 3-3-3 layout in both flights which is leaning me towards them as I'm not a fan of the 3-4-3 on the Dublin flight with Etihad.

By the time the summer comes around, EY should be back to double daily on the A332 to DUB so you will have 2-4-2 seating to contend with. EY are top notch and id recommend them to anyone for a long haul trip, I've never flown QR but I have heard they are also very good and new airport in Doha is excellent.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. I've always been happy with Etihad though Abu Dhabi airport can be awful when it's busy. Better than Dubai at least but Doha from what I've just been reading is a brand new airport so should be nicer.

I might give it another month and just go with the cheapest option then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Not sure I'm posting in the right area. Mods please move if needs be.

My folks were delayed more than 3 hours on a Ryanair flight from Nice to Dublin on 3rd February, due to leave at 2100 left after 0000. They were told locally it was a technical issue and that someone was being flown from Stansted to fix the issue.
    However, lo and behold, when they made their claim to Ryanair it turns out to have been an electrical storm that caused the delay so no compensation payable.
    Can anyone confirm if electrical storms on that date caused delays to other aircraft? Doesn't seem to have effected the flight from Stansted to Nice with the engineer on board. Anyone able to direct me somewhere where i'd find this information?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

There was however a fairly large thunderstorm just off shore around that time..

11jmzif.png

Is that midnight in the map? Flight time was supposed to be 2100 local time. Would flight take off towards sea or stay above land? If as Fred says other flights were arriving and departing without issue surely that should help the claim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Supposedly the inbound flight was struck by lightening on approach, had to await engineer to sign it off for its return.

billie1b wrote: »
    Supposedly the inbound flight was struck by lightening on approach, had to await engineer to sign it off for its return.

But is that not Ryanair's fault for not having a more locally based engineer? I know the whole system would probably fall apart if that was required but it was actually the location of the Engineer that caused the delay (Stansted) rather than the lightning itself?

I know I'm clutching at straws here.......

• Advertisement

But is that not Ryanair's fault for not having a more locally based engineer? I know the whole system would probably fall apart if that was required but it was actually the location of the Engineer that caused the delay (Stansted) rather than the lightning itself?

I know I'm clutching at straws here.......

Well you could also look at it the way the airlines would and say that it's not their fault that mother nature struck the aircraft with lightening, they all have so many different ways and loop holes out of things.
    My flight with a different airline a couple of weeks ago was canx altogether with short notice and we're supposedly not entitled to any compensation for it. The best thing to do is contact the companies who handle delayed/cancelled flights compensation and they'll look into it for you, they'd know better

Advertisement