Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TPMP

shar01 wrote: »
    Is the window for booking seats open?

I have no idea actually, I just assumed that once your flight was booked you could buy your seat, especially because the travel agent originally offered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

TPMP wrote: »
    I have no idea actually, I just assumed that once your flight was booked you could buy your seat, especially because the travel agent originally offered it.

It's been a while since I booked long haul with BA but I was surprised at the short window for booking seats.

Your travel agent will advise - that's what you pay them for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

TPMP wrote: »
    I already received the booking reference and logged on to the BA website

Odd that you cant book seats once in the booking on the BA website... Maybe once its paid it'll open up for you, although the seats likely are fully paid already(by the agent).

Maybe contact them to find out more. I'll clarify I done it with AA and not BA, but I wouldn't imagine there being much difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

Has anyone been through Edinburgh Airport recently? I have a tight time frame for a connecting flight and have read they now channel all incoming passengers through Duty Free on the way out. Would it take more than half an hour from landing to get to the bag drop? Also, is it true that baggage reclaim is in the arrivals hall and open to the public?!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It can be for domestic flights in the UK - it certainly was in the past at certain airports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

You would guess so, but I read a couple of reviews, not sure if it was on TripAdvisor or their own Facebook page, that said the baggage reclaim was not in a secure area, there was only a sign into the area saying 'passengers only'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

I know in the states its very common to have bag claim open to the public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

PDX in the US, which is pretty large, does it for domestic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Same with MCI Kansas City, but it's an airport from another era anyway.

MCO is still open to the public for domestic and precleared flights. I have it in my head that when you clear customs in MCO, you put your bag back on a belt and then pick it up downstairs by the car hire. Although I could well have imagined that as I haven't cleared there in a good few years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Wasn't that shooting a while ago in a baggage reclaim area? In the US?

pilly wrote: »
    Wasn't that shooting a while ago in a baggage reclaim area? In the US?

Yep in FLL

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Working from memory, I think baggage reclaim for EI flights into SFO is publicly accessible.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Yup. Domestic baggage claim is open to the public in the US.
    Precleared flights usually use domestic baggage belts hence the memory of EI flights in SFO and MCO being open to the public.
    (Havent flown Delta, AA or United since full CBP was in Dublin so not sure what they do, must chat to my frequent traveller mate about that)

International baggage claim is not. It prevents mixing of travelling and non-travelling people in a customs area.
    Also, tranferring passengers must physically carry their bags over the customs checkpoint before placing it back onto the baggage belt/check-in desk to be sent to their next flight (if transferring)

Question for anyone who has experience transiting via LHR. I'm looking at flights to MIA with VS and have the option of EI or BA on the DUB-LHR leg.

Its been over 10 years since I connected in LHR and I don't know which option is best in relation to the ease of connection. I'll have 2 1/2 hours with BA or 1 1/2 with EI.

As far as I'm aware I'll have to pass security again anyway wont I?

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

Question for anyone who has experience transiting via LHR. I'm looking at flights to MIA with VS and have the option of EI or BA on the DUB-LHR leg.

Its been over 10 years since I connected in LHR and I don't know which option is best in relation to the ease of connection. I'll have 2 1/2 hours with BA or 1 1/2 with EI.

For LHR always allow minimum 2 hours transit time if travelling in from Dublin. Sometimes you get lucky and have to kill an hour in the terminal but more likely to no time to waste. Remember you are also changing terminals, BA/EI now use T5, VS uses T3.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

mikewest wrote: »

For LHR always allow minimum 2 hours transit time if travelling in from Dublin. Sometimes you get lucky and have to kill an hour in the terminal but more likely to no time to waste. Remember you are also changing terminals, BA/EI now use T5, VS uses T3.

Aer Lingus use T2 so the transit time between T2 and T3 is much faster than getting over from T5, I would say either option are viable, of course the longer connection gives more peace of mind but then the connection itself will take a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

My bad, I have stopped using BA long haul and the last time I had an EI connection it went through T5 A gates.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I suppose with the longer connection, and T5 being the only terminal I haven't used yet in LHR, BA and VS it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,469 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Can anyone reassure me about checked bag sizes for Aer Lingus/Stobart Airflight to UK .

I have a 15k checked bag booked (they describe it as a 'small bag') but I cannot see that there is any size restrictions other than weight. For various reasons I want to bring a large bag weighing under 15k, is there likely to be any fuss about the actual bag size?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

looksee wrote: »
    Can anyone reassure me about checked bag sizes for Aer Lingus/Stobart Airflight to UK .

I have a 15k checked bag booked (they describe it as a 'small bag') but I cannot see that there is any size restrictions other than weight. For various reasons I want to bring a large bag weighing under 15k, is there likely to be any fuss about the actual bag size?

No issue, any suit case is fine. Remember a lot of stobart passengers are transferring to and from Aer Lingus transatlantic flights in Dublin so they'd often handle a lot of luggage. A business class transatlantic passenger can check in three 23kg bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 swansea

I was on a Ryanair flight during the week and noticed one of the pilots leaving the cockpit but no other crew member stepping in. Am I wrong in thinking that there is a rule requiring two crew members to be in the cockpit at all times?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

swansea wrote: »
    I was on a Ryanair flight during the week and noticed one of the pilots leaving the cockpit but no other crew member stepping in. Am I wrong in thinking that there is a rule requiring two crew members to be in the cockpit at all times?

Maybe there was 3 pilots on duty that day

• Registered Users Posts: 37 swansea

Maybe so but I was sure I only heard the co-pilot introduced.

• Advertisement

Advertisement