Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sally090

Cianmcliam wrote: »
    That's loads of time. Unless they have moved recently Ryanair are near the very back of the departures hall, turn right going in the main entrance. There's a whole row of bag drops and as far as I remember you can use any of them that are open.

Just down hang around Duty Free too long, you could be walking a couple of kilometers to get to the gate!

Sorry I've another question!... is arrivals on the ground floor of T1 & then you go up the escalator/lift for departures - is this also where bag tag and drop is? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

@Sally090

Ryanair have automated bag drop machines, you enter your booking reference, drop you bag on the scales, answer some questions about dangerous goods etc, print out your baggage tag, place it on your bag, get the receipt and off you go.

No human interaction at all.

The downside of this is that I don't know how much/little flexibility these machines have when it comes to overweight luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Could you weigh your bag, print out the label and pop a bit more into the bag ? Someone told me once that Ryanair staff are casual up to a KG over, but not necessarily their agents abroad. After weighing and labelling the bag do you have to bring it to a conveyer belt or is the weighing machine also a conveyor belt ? Seldom bring checked in bags and this is new to me, but useful to know.

The scales are built into the conveyer belt, so if you place it on @ 20kgs, then do it again at 23kgs, I doubt that the belt would move until you handed over your credit card.

• Advertisement

Dem labels can be awful heavy though. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Duff wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Looking at spending 2 weeks between L.A and San Diego (into and out of LAX) in September and the lowest return fare seems to be with Ethiopian Airways direct DUB > LAX, LAX > DUB. Has anyone flown this route or any other with Ethiopian? Just wondering what your experience was as I've never heard of them and wondering would I be better just paying extra for a different airline albeit with a layover in London.

Thanks.

They're fine. Reliable safe and pretty punctual in my experience. Service wouldn't amazing but if there's a big difference in the fares it's probably worth it. Also the direct flight is the real benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    They're fine. Reliable safe and pretty punctual in my experience. Service wouldn't amazing but if there's a big difference in the fares it's probably worth it. Also the direct flight is the real benefit.

Got return flights for circa €400 DUB>LAX! Nothing even came close! Thanks for the feedback. I can start getting excited now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Got return flights for circa €400 DUB>LAX! Nothing even came close! Thanks for the feedback. I can start getting excited now :pac:

yeah that's cheap. bring some food with you, it's pretty sh1t on board. Don't be afraid to ask for more wine, regularly :D

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    yeah that's cheap. bring some food with you, it's pretty sh1t on board. Don't be afraid to ask for more wine, regularly :D

Haha, if it's free I'll chance my arm any chance I get :P

• Advertisement

I clean forgot to check in today for an Aer Lingus flight tomorrow. When I did attempt to check in there's only a few free seats on board left. And they are all over the shop. Except for two exit seats with extra legroom , but if I choose these tonight they are €19.99 each. So if I just go to check in tomorrow and ignore those little machines and ask for two together - what are the chances of getting those two exit row seats? (Free)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

joeysoap wrote: »
    I clean forgot to check in today for an Aer Lingus flight tomorrow. When I did attempt to check in there's only a few free seats on board left. And they are all over the shop. Except for two exit seats with extra legroom , but if I choose these tonight they are €19.99 each. So if I just go to check in tomorrow and ignore those little machines and ask for two together - what are the chances of getting those two exit row seats? (Free)
    AFAIK I know the 19.99 is for 'pre-booking' the seat but on the day you can check-in (desk or kiosk) and select any seat that is free. Im not 100% on that, it may well have changed, I havent flown with EI since before Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

You won't be able to select exit seats at the self check in. If you have aer club status your chances are better at the desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,803 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    You won't be able to select exit seats at the self check in. If you have aer club status your chances are better at the desk.

Used to be able to. Trying to remember if any of the times I got asked to sit in them after boarding were kiosk check-ins but all that come to mind were desk or online. Always jump at the aisle exit seats if on the seat map

Being young enough and unfeasibly tall frequently gets me moved to exit rows when empty or bought online by old / infirm

Thanks for all replies, pretty obvious from looking at what's available that quite a few passengers have booked A/C and D/F leaving the centre seats vacant. If we don't manage to get those 2 together there's going to four 'disappointed' passengers.

I wonder if a flight was sold out, and you went to check in online, and all the free seats were allocated, and you didn't want to buy a seat, would the remaining 30 odd passsengers just have to queue up to check in? And then be allocated seats they couldn't access free online anyway?

So you're telling me if I don't check in online for my DUB>LAX flight and do it in the airport the day of my flight I could be upgraded to business class for free? :eek:

Yeah, figured as much. Was just wondering how it worked as I've seen people get upgraded to business from economy before.

@duff
    Or offloaded as the airline oversold the flight and you were last.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Yeah, figured as much. Was just wondering how it worked as I've seen people get upgraded to business from economy before.

It's a matter of luck really. My two kids were upgraded once but I think it was just because it was easier for the staff to keep an eye on them in business.

With Aer Lingus you can bid to be upgraded. I did it last time to Toronto and got it for €300, it was worth it I have to say, very comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

So you're telling me if I don't check in online for my DUB>LAX flight and do it in the airport the day of my flight I could be upgraded to business class for free? :eek:

They upgrade the aer club members first. Even then if you're in a lower tier of aer club your chances are greatly reduced

�� Don't think Fred is saying that Duff. But they do allocate unsold seats in the front 5 rows at the airport. In Faro the mobile check in doesn't work for AL (it does for EJ and RY) and if you queue up (instead of looking for an Internet cafe in your resort) you get allocated a seat, ask for the front and you you might get a 'premium' seat. Seats are all the same so I don't know when airlines started this craic.

Update: I decided to bite the bullet and just checked in online, accepting their seat allocation. 14d and 20e were my only two free 'choices', all the others were pay for seats. And somebody bought those 2 exit seats since last night ��.
    So somewhat surprised to be allocated 2 together, near the rear.

Added: at the airport now and my app is saying flight is sold out, so happy enough to get the boarding passes printed

Thanks for all the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 68,803 ✭✭✭✭L1011

With load factors on that route, not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭NORWOOD1

Hi guys,

I'm going to Singapore on Monday with Air France, going from Dublin with City Jet and transiting in CDG. I'm booked in premium economy and can see there are around 20 buisness class seats on the CDG - WSSS leg. I was wondering if City Jet can check if there are any cheap upgrades to buisness for sale or if I have to wait until I get to CDG?
    If I do have to wait till CDG does anyone know where I need to go to ask, as I'll be in the departure lounge and can't go to the check in desk.

Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

NORWOOD1 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm going to Singapore on Monday with Air France, going from Dublin with City Jet and transiting in CDG. I'm booked in premium economy and can see there are around 20 buisness class seats on the CDG - WSSS leg. I was wondering if City Jet can check if there are any cheap upgrades to buisness for sale or if I have to wait until I get to CDG?
    If I do have to wait till CDG does anyone know where I need to go to ask, as I'll be in the departure lounge and can't go to the check in desk.

Thanks

I'd ask when checking in at Dublin, if they can help then I'd ask in Paris, I'd say go to the Flight connections/transfer desk, they should be fully equipped there to see/upgrade availability of seats.

Locker10a wrote: »
    I'd ask when checking in at Dublin, if they can help then I'd ask in Paris, I'd say go to the Flight connections/transfer desk, they should be fully equipped there to see/upgrade availability of seats.

Thanks Locker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You can call cityjet and ask them now too, they'd be able to give you a price for upgrade.

January wrote: »
    You can call cityjet and ask them now too, they'd be able to give you a price for upgrade.

I honestly didn't think cityjey could do the upgrade to be honest, I thought they were only code sharing. Would I be better off ringing on Monday or ringing today? I'm worried I'll be quoted a few grand today but only a few hundred on the day of the flight. Thanks for the info January

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

If they have the codeshare they have the ability to do the upgrade also. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a few grand on the day of the flight either btw.

Advertisement