Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭NORWOOD1

January wrote: »
    If they have the codeshare they have the ability to do the upgrade also. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a few grand on the day of the flight either btw.

Well there goes that dream 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

if you dont ask you wont get !

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this in.

Me and my girlfriend want to bring my 8 year old nephew to Scotland fir the weekend to visit other family. Obviously we have his parents permission. Is there any issues with us taking him with us? His surname is different to mine so it would be obvious he's not my child. He has his own passport and has travelled lots of times with his parents.

Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

medoc wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this in.

Me and my girlfriend want to bring my 8 year old nephew to Scotland fir the weekend to visit other family. Obviously we have his parents permission. Is there any issues with us taking him with us? His surname is different to mine so it would be obvious he's not my child. He has his own passport and has travelled lots of times with his parents.

Thanks

As long as you're on the one itinerary it's no problem

Locker10a wrote: »

Yes we are all booked on the one Ryanair return flight itinerary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Not strictly true. I know several people who habe been questioned coming back through dublin with their own kids.

My advice is to get the parents to sign an affadavit saying they have agreed to you taking him on holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

January wrote: »
    Not strictly true. I know several people who habe been questioned coming back through dublin with their own kids.

My advice is to get the parents to sign an affadavit saying they have agreed to you taking him on holiday

From an airline point of view once all parties are on the same booking or are cross referenced to each booking it doesn't matter who is travelling, once the child/children under 16 are accompanied by an adult over 18. The best example is school groups travelling with 3 or 4 teachers who or not parents or legal guardians and they don't need notes or affidavits.
    As said already by the poster above, once all parties are on the same booking and ye all have in date passports then you're fine to travel with each other without affidavits etc. It's absolutely none of the airlines business why and who is travelling in your group and the only time is does become the airlines business is if the Gardaí or Child Services contact them with an issue and you need to stop them from boarding.
    I can guarantee you 100% that they'll be fine and have no hassle.

billie1b wrote: »
    From an airline point of view once all parties are on the same booking or are cross referenced to each booking it doesn't matter who is travelling, once the child/children under 16 are accompanied by an adult over 18. The best example is school groups travelling with 3 or 4 teachers who or not parents or legal guardians and they don't need notes or affidavits.
    As said already by the poster above, once all parties are on the same booking and ye all have in date passports then you're fine to travel with each other without affidavits etc. It's absolutely none of the airlines business why and who is travelling in your group and the only time is does become the airlines business is if the Gardaí or Child Services contact them with an issue and you need to stop them from boarding.

Thanks for the above advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

At Dublin airport on Tuesday there was about 30 young school age children with about 3 adults, the security guy steered them to to the left security checks and tried to keep them together and was guiding everybody else to the right. They were Uk kids so the authorities in Uk have no problem with it either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

You are required to have written permission from the child's parents, while not readily enforced it very well could be asked for. I know this from experience with my step daughter, the differing surname was noticed.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/travelling_abroad_with_children.html

See my above post, it was most certainly asked of me, at check in with Aer Lingus, in Dublin

Birmingham, this was back in ~08/09. Granted it hasn't been asked since, but we always make sure to have a written letter from her Dad, just in case. In fact on the same topic, TSA questioned her a couple of years ago in ORD, but the US is a whole different ball game I suppose.

You are required to have written permission from the child's parents, while not readily enforced it very well could be asked for. I know this from experience with my step daughter, the differing surname was noticed.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/travelling_abroad_with_children.html

As I child I flew many times with cousins and other family member who weren't my parents, never had any issues or questions asked. Airlines don't know or care who you are as long as a child accompanied on their ticket with an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Birmingham, this was back in ~08/09. Granted it hasn't been asked since, but we always make sure to have a written letter from her Dad, just in case. In fact on the same topic, TSA questioned her a couple of years ago in ORD, but the US is a whole different ball game I suppose.

It says it in the link you provided 'you may', it's not a legal requirement, it's none of the airlines business. It's also none of immigrations business as it's not a legal requirement. My daughter only travelled with her grandmother last year from Dublin to France, France to Germany and then Germany to Poland, all by air travel, different surnames and different state passports and not an eyelid was batted by the airlines or immigration.

It says it in the link you provided 'you may', it's not a legal requirement, it's none of the airlines business. It's also none of immigrations business as it's not a legal requirement. My daughter only travelled with her grandmother last year from Dublin to France, France to Germany and then Germany to Poland, all by air travel, different surnames and different state passports and not an eyelid was batted by the airlines or immigration.

I never said its a legal requirement, but like the link says, "you may be asked". As such, be sure to have something written to show you have permission to take the child abroad, because you "may be asked". Like I said, I've been asked, and had a letter and all was ok. And its very much immigration's business to make sure that children being brought into and out of the country are being done so legally. Also never underestimate what immigration know, they likely knew very well the person bringing your daughter away was her grandmother, regardless of the issuing state of each passport, its their job to know!

Anyway, this is going off topic to the original question, I think we can agree no problems should be expected, but it would be prudent to have a letter confirming permission from the child's parents.

I never said its a legal requirement, but like the link says, "you may be asked". As such, be sure to have something written to show you have permission to take the child abroad, because you "may be asked". Like I said, I've been asked, and had a letter and all was ok. And its very much immigration's business to make sure that children being brought into and out of the country are being done so legally. Also never underestimate what immigration know, they likely knew very well the person bringing your daughter away was her grandmother, regardless of the issuing state of each passport, its their job to know!

Anyway, this is going off topic to the original question, I think we can agree no problems should be expected, but it would be prudent to have a letter confirming permission from the child's parents.
    Just out of interest, how could immigration know the relationship between two random people ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

A friend was asked for proof that her children were hers and that the father knew they were travelling when she was coming back INTO Dublin. She had a different surname from the children. She had their birth certs so it wasn't a problem but I'd still carry something saying you have permission to take him out of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

For the peace of mind more than anything, it's worthwhile to have some form of document, and even sworn in front of a commissioner for oaths (which should be €10-20). The latter bit may not be that important, but is just an extra layer.

If you're not asked, great. If you are, you're automatically covered with it.

Just out of interest, how could immigration know the relationship between two random people ?

A basic example, my Mum is bringing my son and his sister away this summer. When she booked her flights the airline provided the necessary information to the authorities. The kids passport details were entered, along with hers. There are algorithms in place which use this information as follows: from my sons passport info, they know who his dad is... me, and in turn, they know who my mum is. Now although his sister is technically no relation to me or my mum, they will know that she shares the same mother as my son and as such it can be concluded that they are siblings and granny is taking them away, hence no flag is raised... it all comes back to the information on the passports, which for a first passport, a birth cert is needed, so once you have one... all that info is stored and used to this effect.

We used a very similar algorithm in my previous role as a fraud analyst, and it is mind boggling the sheer amount of information you can obtain from just a few tiny details. In this case, all that's needed to tie it together is names and a passport number.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

What an inappropriate post. You can NOT guarantee anyone 100% that they'll be fine and have no hassle.

My children have a different surname to me and I have been stopped on 2 previous occasions. It may not be the airlines business but it's definitely security's business for obvious reasons.

I agree with other posters, it's best to carry permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

Anyone know the current complimentary meal offerings on TA EI flights? Can't seem to see anything online.

Heading to Boston in under 2 weeks and wondering if it's worth getting the pre-paid meals in case I can't eat the free meal.

I should have specified Airport Police I suppose but they definitely have the power to demand to know everyone's identity and connection.

Anyone know the current complimentary meal offerings on TA EI flights? Can't seem to see anything online.

Heading to Boston in under 2 weeks and wondering if it's worth getting the pre-paid meals in case I can't eat the free meal.

It's a standard airline meal offered with complementary soft drinks. Last time we had the upgraded meal it was very nice and worth it in my opinion. But Boston is a short flight so it's up to you

Hey guys, just an update with my upgrade question. I asked in Dublin about upgrades on the Paris to Singapore leg and was quoted 1500 each, the guy at the counter told me to wait until I got to Paris and ask there, I asked in Paris and got the upgrade to buisness for 409 each.

NORWOOD1 wrote: »
    Hey guys, just an update with my upgrade question. I asked in Dublin about upgrades on the Paris to Singapore leg and was quoted 1500 each, the guy at the counter told me to wait until I got to Paris and ask there, I asked in Paris and got the upgrade to buisness for 409 each.

Not bad, was it worth it?

• Advertisement

Oh ya, slept for 7 hours very comfortable. Food was surprisingly poor, but beside that it was well worth the extra money

Advertisement