Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Hi there,

Hope I'm posting in the right spot - I'm flying into Madrid T1 to connect to my next flight in T4s with 2hr 35min between flights.

Would you say this is enough time to travel between terminals, keeping in mind that I'll have to grab my bags from the carousel from the first flight, go through passport control, then check-in again and go through security. (aggh!) The two flights are not linked and were purchased separately. The second flight is a long haul flight with Iberia and check-in closes one hour before departure.

Any help appreciated as I can still change the first flight to the night before if it seems like it is a little too tight on time!

Thanks all!

If the second flight is a long haul do you not have to be there 2 hours beforehand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Okay then if 1 hour is enough it's possible but will be tight. I went from 1 to the other to meet up with friends coming off a long haul. Took an hour from the time I landed to arrivals in T4. So any delays and you could be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 the_rourkster

Thanks for the responses. Pilly - did you go via the free shuttle bus from T1 to T4? We will be there around 10am-ish so not sure if that makes a difference to busyness!

Many thanks!

Thanks for the responses. Pilly - did you go via the free shuttle bus from T1 to T4? We will be there around 10am-ish so not sure if that makes a difference to busyness!

Yep took the bus. It's not really about busyness, it's the time taken to get off the plane, wait for your bag and then get the bus.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

pilly wrote: »

Yep took the bus. It's not really about busyness, it's the time taken to get off the plane, wait for your bag and then get the bus.

A connecting flight should mean bags are checked through

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

Locker10a wrote: »
    A connecting flight should mean bags are checked through

This sounds like a self-connect though.

VG31 wrote: »

It is self-connect, two different airlines booked separately.

VG31 wrote: »

It is self-connect, two different airlines booked separately.

Oh, ok in that case it will be tight, and unfortunatly if you're Dublin-Madrid flight is delayed you won't have a leg to stand on

Locker10a wrote: »
    Oh, ok in that case it will be tight, and unfortunatly if you're Dublin-Madrid flight is delayed you won't have a leg to stand on

I am going to have travel insurance with missed connection cover should the dub-mad flight be delayed, (it's an early morning Ryanair flight) I was just wanting to check that all going well with the first flight that 2hrs 35mins would be sufficient to collect bags, change terminal and check in.
    Appreciate all your comments!
    Thanks again.

• Advertisement

I am going to have travel insurance with missed connection cover should the dub-mad flight be delayed, (it's an early morning Ryanair flight) I was just wanting to check that all going well with the first flight that 2hrs 35mins would be sufficient to collect bags, change terminal and check in.
    Appreciate all your comments!
    Thanks again.

If it's Ryanair you can almost be guaranteed to land on time as they build in extra time to make sure they do.

If it's Ryanair you can almost be guaranteed to land on time as they build in extra time to make sure they do.

That's what I'm hoping! Thanks all for your responses. I'll let yiz know how I get on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

Yeah I had a very tight connection recently and was looking at the 60 day stats for the Ryanair flight on Flightradar, only one flight arrived late in the 60 days and one that took off nearly 40 minutes late was the latest arrival, just at the scheduled arrival time. Most landed 15-20 mins early.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Aer Lingus from Dublin have a longer block to block time on some of their Madrid flights, albeit only 5 minutes longer but Ryanair on all flights have 2h 40mins block, 15 minute taxi in Dublin, 2h 5min flight time, 20 minute taxi in Madrid. Ryanair just do it better....

billie1b wrote: »

Aer Lingus from Dublin have a longer block to block time on some of their Madrid flights, albeit only 5 minutes longer but Ryanair on all flights have 2h 40mins block, 15 minute taxi in Dublin, 2h 5min flight time, 20 minute taxi in Madrid. Ryanair just do it better....

Must be why they're Dublins no2 ontime airline

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

All airlines do it, but don't stop you letting this be another way to slate Ryanair!

JCX BXC wrote: »
    All airlines do it, but don't stop you letting this be another way to slate Ryanair!

Who is? I'm not. I'm actually praising them saying you're almost guaranteed to be on time. I've only ever once experienced a delay with Ryanair.

JCX BXC wrote: »

No one is slating anyone, it's true all airlines buffer block times, some do it more than others. Nobody's complaining about it, it's clever planning and vital to having an efficient schedule

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most only cover delays to public transport, using a definition that excludes flights despite them being public transport. Deep T&C digging needed before assuming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I flew both airlines last week. A/L departed Dublin about 5 mins late. RY departed Faro 30 mins late. But they still played 'that' "music" when we touched down at Dublin. Biggest delay we had in the past year by a county mile was 2 hours last August at Dublin. It was caused by a delay in the incoming flight. And it was Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭turbowolfed

Hi all,

I'm are flying long haul for the first time in June. (DUB - LHR - DOH - SGN)
    I have a few questions which I would be grateful if someone could answer.

1) I've booked the full journey through British Airways. I understand that this means that once I check my bags in Dublin I won't see them again until Vietnam. Is this correct?

2) Upon booking I noticed that the flights are codeshare flights. The DUB - LHR leg is with Air Lingus, and the LHR - DOH, and DOH - SGN are with Qatar Airlines. Does this impact the flight in any way? For instance, do I still check in with British Airways in Dublin?

3) I'm supposed to arrive at Doha airport at 00:45, and depart for SGN 02:15. Is 1hr30mins cutting it a bit too tight, or should i be okay getting through Doha Airport in time?

Thanks for your help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Hi all,

I'm are flying long haul for the first time in June. (DUB - LHR - DOH - SGN)
    I have a few questions which I would be grateful if someone could answer.

1) I've booked the full journey through British Airways. I understand that this means that once I check my bags in Dublin I won't see them again until Vietnam. Is this correct?

2) Upon booking I noticed that the flights are codeshare flights. The DUB - LHR leg is with Air Lingus, and the LHR - DOH, and DOH - SGN are with Qatar Airlines. Does this impact the flight in any way? For instance, do I still check in with British Airways in Dublin?

3) I'm supposed to arrive at Doha airport at 00:45, and depart for SGN 02:15. Is 1hr30mins cutting it a bit too tight, or should i be okay getting through Doha Airport in time?

Thanks for your help!

1) Yes

2) Check in with Aer Lingus

3) Should be plenty of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭turbowolfed

1) Yes

2) Check in with Aer Lingus

3) Should be plenty of time.

Thank you. That's good to hear!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Hi, Flying to NY for a few days then down to Orlando in October, just wondering what is the best airline for going?

Aer Lingus with A330 the most comfortable for IFE and Wifi ect? on the connecting leg from NY to MCO is JetBlue a decent airline to take or has anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Hi All,

Flying to BHX from Las Palmas and onto DUB

2 separate bookings so will need to grab bag and recheck it in.

Is 3hrs and 35 minutes sufficient time for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

Hey guys,

Long story short, my brother was supposed to be going to Barcelona in a few weeks, return flights booked with Ryanair. Circumstances have changed and he can no longer go. Is there anyway to cancel the flight and get a partial refund or anything or is it tough luck? Can't find a definitive answer on their website.

Cheers.

Duff wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Long story short, my brother was supposed to be going to Barcelona in a few weeks, return flights booked with Ryanair. Circumstances have changed and he can no longer go. Is there anyway to cancel the flight and get a partial refund or anything or is it tough luck? Can't find a definitive answer on their website.

Cheers.

Only thing he'll get back is the airport tax. Not worth the hassle involved tbh.

Or change name on flight for €100

• Advertisement

dzilla wrote: »
    Hi All,

Flying to BHX from Las Palmas and onto DUB

2 separate bookings so will need to grab bag and recheck it in.

Is 3hrs and 35 minutes sufficient time for this?

That's loads of time

Advertisement