Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

pilly wrote: »
    Only thing he'll get back is the airport tax. Not worth the hassle involved tbh.

Or change name on flight for €100

Or change dates €40/€50 depending on season.

Most times with cheap flights you just walk away, and that applies to all carriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

joeysoap wrote: »
    Or change dates €40/€50 depending on season.

Most times with cheap flights you just walk away, and that applies to all carriers.

Wasn't that cheap - €270 return afaik.

Cheers for the replies.

Duff wrote: »
    Wasn't that cheap - €270 return afaik.

Cheers for the replies.

Name change is €110 per person per leg so not much point.

Change flight is €30/€40 depending on low/high season. According to Ryanair FAQ He has until 4 hours before the flight to change the flight and he's not confined to Barcelona, he can change to another destination * and another date. Afaik the €7 is charged again as well.

* if the other flight is more expensive he will be charged the difference, if it's cheaper he loses the difference. In a lot cases it's cheaper to make a new booking. But if he found a destination at around €250 return it might be worth the €30/€40.

It's partly why I book my outward and return separately now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

Name change is €110 per person per leg so not much point.

Change flight is €30/€40 depending on low/high season. According to Ryanair FAQ He has until 4 hours before the flight to change the flight and he's not confined to Barcelona, he can change to another destination * and another date. Afaik the €7 is charged again as well.

* if the other flight is more expensive he will be charged the difference, if it's cheaper he loses the difference. In a lot cases it's cheaper to make a new booking. But if he found a destination at around €250 return it might be worth the €30/€40.

It's partly why I book my outward and return separately now.

Thanks for the info, I'll pass it on to him :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/aer-lingus-flight-bound-for-us-forced-to-do-uturn-after-medical-emergency-on-board-35666169.html

What happens passengers on this are they compensated over a medical emergency leaving them stranded for an extra day in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Gamebred wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/aer-lingus-flight-bound-for-us-forced-to-do-uturn-after-medical-emergency-on-board-35666169.html

What happens passengers on this are they compensated over a medical emergency leaving them stranded for an extra day in Dublin?

What a sad time we are living in, a flight diverts due to a passengers who must have desperately need medical care, and people concern is compensation. Hope the individual involved here is well and makes a speedy recovery.

Locker10a wrote: »
    What a sad time we are living in, a flight diverts due to a passengers who must have desperately need medical care, and people concern is compensation. Hope the individual involved here is well and makes a speedy recovery.

Get a grip of yourself I only asked the procedure, obviously you couldnt answer the question so posted some faux concerned comment :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭john boye

I would have said it's a sad time we're living in when a fairly routine return like this makes national news but heyho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Would that not come under special circumstances (whatever its called). Surely there is no way the airline could be responsible.

• Advertisement

But surely the wouldn't be expected to pay the massive delay compensation? As it's outside their control, all that would be expected would be reasonable expenses i.e. Overnight hotel, transfers, and meals. ?

And yes, the passenger comes first, lets hope he/she makes a full recovery.

Out of curiosity another hour and would they have diverted to Iceland? And also curiosity - why not Shannon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The airline will have hedged for such incidents. I doubt they get external insurance in these cases. Kind of analogous to what Dublin Bus do; they have no external insurance but run an internal system.

This site says airlines not responsible

https://www.claimair.com/blog/what-if-airlines-claim-extraordinary-circumstances/

When a passenger or crew member becomes seriously ill or dies on-board or during the flight, it constituted grounds for extraordinary circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

True, but "compensation" is a different thing, what value do you want to put on a life?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭orionm_73

Yes but that is not considered compensation which what was originally asked. Under EU261 passengers would be entitled to duty of care (hotel, food and phone call) but not due compensation for the delay to their arrival.

orionm_73 wrote: »
    Yes but that is not considered compensation which what was originally asked. Under EU261 passengers would be entitled to duty of care (hotel, food and phone call) but not due compensation for the delay to their arrival.

That's my reading of it too. I have absolutely no doubt that Al would look after affected passengers as best they could. Compensation is another matter.

Sorry by comp I meant hotels food ect wasnt expecting the airline to hand more dough over on top of that for the uncontrollable circumstances to a few hundred people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Hey guys, had a flight from Singapore to Jakarta the other day with checked bag. When I landed I noticed my bag was really wet, I thought it was strange so I opened it and had a quick look but everything seemed normal. I unpacked the bag this morning and noticed a debit card and some papers were missing. Luckily I kept anything of value in my carry on though it's still an inconvenience having to cancel my card.

Just wondering if I have any rights or if there's any procedure I should go through? I've sent a complaint to the airline though as nothing valuable was taken I'm not sure where I stand?

• Advertisement

Hey guys, had a flight from Singapore to Jakarta the other day with checked bag. When I landed I noticed my bag was really wet, I thought it was strange so I opened it and had a quick look but everything seemed normal. I unpacked the bag this morning and noticed a debit card and some papers were missing. Luckily I kept anything of value in my carry on though it's still an inconvenience having to cancel my card.

Just wondering if I have any rights or if there's any procedure I should go through? I've sent a complaint to the airline though as nothing valuable was taken I'm not sure where I stand?
    Sorry to hear this happened to you. Im not sure where you stand now to be honest, the airline may refute your claim as you didn't actually inform them until you got home. If you had noticed at the airport and informed staff straight away then you might have a claim to compensation for theft or damaged luggage. I guess the best you  can do is send a formal complaint and see what they say. If you have problems with luggage, the best thing is to notify airline representatives in the baggage hall so they are also witnesses to the damage etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,035 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

if this has been asked already, apologies and couldn't find anything on aer lingus website.

folks are flying to england tomorrow for a few days on aer lingus. they want to know if they can bring a phone charger with them?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

of course

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Yes, they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,035 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

thanks guys, thought as much but wanted to be sure

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Yes, but they won't be able to charge their phone on the plane if that's what the question is.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭cobham

Plenty of plugs about to use to charge up a phone in airports, on trains in UK. You dont neet to take out at security either tho you do need to put tablets/Laptops out but not mobiles.

I know that prices are dictated by bookings but sometimes it's a right pain in the whole when you see a price you would have taken IF it had been available when making your plans. I was looking at flights to Faro on 5th July, when I first looked at prices the most reasonable was €155 and then this price went up to €178. Two days ago this reduced to €147 and tonight it's €117, ( no I don't go looking - Trivago email me the prices daily and I didn't cancel alerts) . FWIW these are all Aer Lingus prices.

I would have taken the €117 a few weeks ago, but instead booked €15 flights to Leeds and £25 flights from there. Under €50 each. It's no big deal, an hour earlier to Leeds and arriving in Faro 2 hours later with approx 150 minute stopover in Leeds. €100 for two against €360 was too big to pass up but would have taken the €117 each for handiness :mad:

Back up to €178now. Such fluctuations .

I know that prices are dictated by bookings but sometimes it's a right pain in the whole when you see a price you would have taken IF it had been available when making your plans. I was looking at flights to Faro on 5th July, when I first looked at prices the most reasonable was €155 and then this price went up to €178. Two days ago this reduced to €147 and tonight it's €117, ( no I don't go looking - Trivago email me the prices daily and I didn't cancel alerts) . FWIW these are all Aer Lingus prices.

I would have taken the €117 a few weeks ago, but instead booked €15 flights to Leeds and £25 flights from there. Under €50 each. It's no big deal, an hour earlier to Leeds and arriving in Faro 2 hours later with approx 150 minute stopover in Leeds. €100 for two against €360 was too big to pass up but would have taken the €117 each for handiness :mad:

Back up to €178now. Such fluctuations .

Annoying alright, could be as simple EI sell their European flights on A320 capacity, after a certain amount of seats are sold This triggers the booking system to sell to A321 capacity and thus the availability of more seats lowers the price slightly and temporarily untill those seats are sold, just a theory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Annoying alright, could be as simple EI sell their European flights on A320 capacity, after a certain amount of seats are sold This triggers the booking system to sell to A321 capacity and thus the availability of more seats lowers the price slightly and temporarily untill those seats are sold, just a theory

I booked Miami return with EI for two at just over €800, now it's already up to €1200... it's amazing how quickly the price can change (I lucked out this time, but lost many others)

Advertisement