Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Locker10a wrote: »
    Annoying alright, could be as simple EI sell their European flights on A320 capacity, after a certain amount of seats are sold This triggers the booking system to sell to A321 capacity and thus the availability of more seats lowers the price slightly and temporarily untill those seats are sold, just a theory

Thanks Locker,
    3 flights that day, including an A330 300, an A320 at midday and an A321 in the evening. It well might have been an A320 previously. This is the one I was aiming at as the timing suited me.

Fwiw RY also have 3 flights that day but they were consistently more expensive than AL when I was checking.

That's an awful lot of bums on seats on a Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

joeysoap wrote: »
    Thanks Locker,
    3 flights that day, including an A330 300, an A320 at midday and an A321 in the evening. It well might have been an A320 previously. This is the one I was aiming at as the timing suited me.

Fwiw RY also have 3 flights that day but they were consistently more expensive than AL when I was checking.

That's an awful lot of bums on seats on a Wednesday.
    the A330 goes to Faro now ?
    Since when? I though it was only Malaga.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,720 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Every summer for the last several years (not every day mind, but on certain days).

Monday, Wednesday and Friday from late may. As far as I can make out it's a 200 on Mon and Fri and 300 on Wednesday.

seat alerts is supposed to let you see what seats are available but it's not much use. Does show an A330 300 to Faro on Wednesday 5th though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Bookings must be incredibly strong across the holiday routes this summer. Weekend flights early July generally 400-600 per head.

I might have to opt for last week in august or keep an eye out for late discounting.

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Bookings must be incredibly strong across the holiday routes this summer. Weekend flights early July generally 400-600 per head.

I might have to opt for last week in august or keep an eye out for late discounting.

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/cheap-flights

https://discovery.aerlingus.com/html/discovery/discovery.html#/?origin=DUB&maxDuration=86400000&maxPrice=1000&nonStop=1&type=ROUND&departureDateFrom=2017-06-01&departureDateTo=2017-06-30&arrivalDateFrom=2017-07-01&arrivalDateTo=2017-07-31

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

another factor for "holiday" resort destinations is that apartment rental is often from Saturday to Saturday which only skews the price of flights at the weekend in one direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

another factor for "holiday" resort destinations is that apartment rental is often from Saturday to Saturday which only skews the price of flights at the weekend in one direction.

I've never heard this before, could you explain further?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

JCX BXC wrote: »

I've never heard this before, could you explain further?

I'm guessing he means most villa rentals are say Saturday to Saturday, so people are restricted to flying on a Saturday, this means these flights fill up and this demands drives up the price. People who book a weeks leave generally have to take Monday-Friday off so have to travel on weekends. If you had total flexibility and could travel out on a Monday night and back on a Tuesday morning you'd probably get a great deal, this is not possible for most people unless retired or work to a airline style roster

• Advertisement

Those two links I posted above are pretty good at seeing the whole month prices at a glance, just pick your resort and change it to whatever month you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Hey guys, I'm planning on flying BKK-DUB next week and looking at flights, I usually fly Etihad but Finnair are considerably cheaper this time so considering giving them a try.

Anyone here have experience of their long haul service? I presume it's a step below the Middle Eastern carriers? Flight is on an A350 which I've yet to fly on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Hey guys, I'm planning on flying BKK-DUB next week and looking at flights, I usually fly Etihad but Finnair are considerably cheaper this time so considering giving them a try.

Anyone here have experience of their long haul service? I presume it's a step below the Middle Eastern carriers? Flight is on an A350 which I've yet to fly on

I've only flown business class with Finnair on that route but the A350 is a nice plane and Helsinki is a breeze to transit through. The choice of entertainment is nowhere near as good as Emirates.

Its an overnight flight so not too bothered about the IFE, more so seat comfort, leg room, food etc.

I see they have a premium economy section for not too much extra so think I'll go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Hi,
    A bit of an unusual historical question here, the 1st time I flew it was in May 1984 Dublin to Menorca
    My grandad at the time told me it was a BAC1-11 (Aer Lingus)

But my brother rememebers it a little differently, he thinks it was a 737-200.
    Anyway, the plane was definetely Aer Lingus, I was just wondering did anyone know if the BAC1-11 flew that route
    back then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Hi,
    A bit of an unusual historical question here, the 1st time I flew it was in May 1984 Dublin to Menorca

Anyway, the plane was definetely Aer Lingus, I was just wondering did anyone know if the BAC1-11 flew that route
    back then ?

Back then it wouldn't have been a scheduled route as all the bucket and spade routes would have been charters so it could have been either.

Hi,

back then ?

I may be wrong here but I'm sure the BAC111 had certain payload restrictions and didn't have great range, this might mean it wouldn't have been capable of efficienctly operating a flight between Dublin and Menorca, fully booked and with each passenger having hold luggage. But again I'm not sure on this, the folks on the Aer Lingus fleet discussion thread may know better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

Anyone flown to US with Norwegian, to Providence specifically? is 8 hours without in flight entertainment or hot food tolerable? stumbled upon some decent prices in August and am half tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,720 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Anyone flown to US with Norwegian, to Providence specifically? is 8 hours without in flight entertainment or hot food tolerable? stumbled upon some decent prices in August and am half tempted.

They haven't started the flights yet.
    They only start in July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

Ah right, thought they'd started already. Presume it would be similar to transatlantic Wowair. Will think it over anyway sure.

Its an overnight flight so not too bothered about the IFE, more so seat comfort, leg room, food etc.

I see they have a premium economy section for not too much extra so think I'll go for it

Just to follow up for anyone who cares, I thought it was a really good flight. Premium economy had loads of leg room and nice wide seats. IFE was lacking in selection but the screen was really responsive and easy to use, far better than the awkward laggy screens Etihad have. Food was good, on par with any other flight I've had, complementary alcohol with first meal but had to pay after that. Got given good quality noise cancelling headphones and had three seats and three pillows to myself so a really comfortable flight.

Definitely a more budget feel overall but at €200 cheaper I'll definitely fly again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Not a whole lot different to a 757 IMO, same leg room 31", similer food, maybe a toilet less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

The answer may be obvious but i'm confused...

Booked my ticket with British Airways from Dublin to Heathrow and then onto Japan. Flight to Heathrow is operated by Aerlingus.

Where do i drop my bags? Terminal 1 (BA) or Terminal 2 (aerlingus)?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭orionm_73

T2 Aer Lingus as they are operating the flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

galah wrote: »
    The answer may be obvious but i'm confused...

Booked my ticket with British Airways from Dublin to Heathrow and then onto Japan. Flight to Heathrow is operated by Aerlingus.

Where do i drop my bags? Terminal 1 (BA) or Terminal 2 (aerlingus)?

Cheers!

You're flying with Aer Lingus, so you give your bags to Aer Lingus. T2

Also, there wouldn't be much point in dropping your bags in one terminal and flying from another!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Also, there wouldn't be much point in dropping your bags in one terminal and flying from another!

That's what i though but then i got muddled...:p cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Thousands of Aer Lingus passengers have to do this every day, don't they? :)

Mebuntu wrote: »

Thousands of Aer Lingus passengers have to do this every day, don't they? :)

But you wouldn't check in and drop off your bags in one Terminal and then exit and walk around to another to take your flights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Locker10a wrote: »
    But you wouldn't check in and drop off your bags in one Terminal and then exit and walk around to another to take your flights.

I have... I checked in with EI, was told my flight would be leaving from T1, so walked out and across to T1 and went trough security there. Admittedly I didn't know at the time I could still clear security in T2.

I'm sure there are many people who are not aware of that, so I reckon there are several cases per day of someone dropping bags in T2 and heading to T1 in such a manner.

Advertisement