Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I have... I checked in with EI, was told my flight would be leaving from T1, so walked out and across to T1 and went trough security there. Admittedly I didn't know at the time I could still clear security in T2..........
    The 300 gates are not properly "T1" as those gates are shared between both terminals. Calling them "T1" when giving instructions to a passenger is bad terminology on behalf of the airport staff.
    While still incorrect, referring to them as "Pier B" might be better, (to those of us who remember the old airport layout)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Locker10a wrote: »
    But you wouldn't check in and drop off your bags in one Terminal and then exit and walk around to another to take your flights.

I have... I checked in with EI, was told my flight would be leaving from T1, so walked out and across to T1 and went trough security there. Admittedly I didn't know at the time I could still clear security in T2.

I'm sure there are many people who are not aware of that, so I reckon there are several cases per day of someone dropping bags in T2 and heading to T1 in such a manner.

Oh dear, suppose the staff shouldn't really say anything then and just allow people to follow the signage to their gate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Oh dear, suppose the staff shouldn't really say anything then and just allow people to follow the signage to their gate

If it makes a difference, this would have been when T2 first opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,720 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Precisely what they should be doing - tell them the gate area.

The walk from T2 check in to the 3XX gates is well signposted airside and is no more than 10 minutes maximum.

They certainly should not be telling them to go to T1.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,720 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

If it makes a difference, this would have been when T1 first opened.
    T1 opened in June 1972!
    That's a long time ago! ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

lxflyer wrote: »
    T1 opened in June 1972!
    That's a long time ago! ;-)

haha, fixed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

We passed through security in T2 last October going to Munich (don't recall the gate but it was probably 3--) and you just follow the signs. The walk takes past the rear of security in T1 before you find your gate. (Because of that we now know that you can walk from the shopping area in T2 to the shopping area inT1, if say you wanting something in Boots)

Didn't mind on the outward journey but it was a pain on the return journey. Walking for ages through deserted corridors (well lit and signposted) before arriving back in T2 is not exactly what you expect. That I recall security in T1 was closed for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Hi guys, just a short question. I've heard there is now a 2nd cabin bag allowed with Ryanair as standard but has much smaller specified dimensions allowed? Might need to carry one or two small things in possibly a cloth/plastic bag (very classy ;)) as they won't fit in the main cabin bag with everything else, and could sit in front of me or under the seat easily. Would you reckon this'll be okay or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

This is the sort of thing you are looking for.
    https://cabinmax.com/stowaway/171-arezzo-stowaway-0616316229044.html

you'll find cheap(er) similar bags on ebay too.

I bought a second bag of that size to maximise the amount of stuff I can carry without having to pay more in fees.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

737max wrote:
    I bought a second bag of that size to maximise the amount of stuff I can carry without having to pay more in fees.

Great tip, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

entropi wrote: »
    Hi guys, just a short question. I've heard there is now a 2nd cabin bag allowed with Ryanair as standard but has much smaller specified dimensions allowed? Might need to carry one or two small things in possibly a cloth/plastic bag (very classy ;)) as they won't fit in the main cabin bag with everything else, and could sit in front of me or under the seat easily. Would you reckon this'll be okay or not?

As long as it will fit under the seat in front it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

737max wrote: »
    This is the sort of thing you are looking for.
    https://cabinmax.com/stowaway/171-arezzo-stowaway-0616316229044.html

you'll find cheap(er) similar bags on ebay too.

VG31 wrote: »
    As long as it will fit under the seat in front it should be fine.
    Thank you both, much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

I haven't had either of my carry on bags weighed or sized in the last 8 or 9 flights with Ryanair and the size of carry on I've seen others with has been getting ridiculous. Enjoy it while it lasts!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Hi guys.
    A couple of friends are heading out of Heathrow on Friday morning at 10.25 headed to Kuala Lumpur.
    They are wondering what type of aircraft they will be on.
    If anyone knows they would appreciate it

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

That looks like flight MH3, by Malaysian Airlines (I only know by the time because I'm flying this route in a few months:D).

The aircraft is an Airbus A380. Assuming your friends are travelling in economy, I can tell them it is a great economy class from past experience. See a seat map of the aircraft here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Thanks. They were hoping it would be an A380.

Edit: should have said they are flying with Malaysian

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Eire girl

If you book your bags through the app do you then have to follow through & check in through the app or can you still check in/print boarding passes on a computer? Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

What time does Ryanair check in open in DUB. Relative is flying to Carcasonne at 7.20am in a few weeks time and the website says check in/ bag drop closes 2 hours before hand.....so 5.20am....in that case they would need to be there at 4.30am?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

knockon wrote: »
    What time does Ryanair check in open in DUB. Relative is flying to Carcasonne at 7.20am in a few weeks time and the website says check in/ bag drop closes 2 hours before hand.....so 5.20am....in that case they would need to be there at 4.30am?

Bag drop closes 2 hours before hand? You sure it doesn't open 2 hours beforehand?

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Flying to Las Vegas in January with AA through Philadelphia. The plane type at the moment is showing as an A330-200 but I've been reading up and it said sometimes in low season it switches to a 757. Please tell me this won't be the case? I don't think I could stand 7 hours on the plane with no personal IFE!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Prospectors

Booked a return flight with aer lingus as part of a Falcon package holiday. When I tried to check in online for the outbound flight, I found that Falcon don't allow online check in for aer lingus flights. Was told over the phone that I would need to check in at airport. No big deal I thought.

Arrived at airport 2 hours before takeoff and found that there was no queue and we were allowed check in immediately. Brilliant, I thought to myself. However, check in staff told me that we were the last to check in and our family would have to sit in three separate seats for the 2.5 hour flight (2 adults, 5yr old and 1 yr old). It turned out that most people had checked in online.

Tried contacting aer lingus on twitter to see if this could be avoided for our return flight but to no avail yet. Would anyone have any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

You should have a reference code, 6 characters beginning with 2 that should work fine for check in regardless of how the ticket was sold

Problem is the 1 year old could trigger a problem, there are specific seating rules, can't occupy exit rows, or the rows either side of exit rows.

Note for flights leaving before 8am, Aer Lingus offers check in at Dublin Airport the evening before

You should have a reference code, 6 characters beginning with 2 that should work fine for check in regardless of how the ticket was sold

Problem is the 1 year old could trigger a problem, there are specific seating rules, can't occupy exit rows, or the rows either side of exit rows.

Note for flights leaving before 8am, Aer Lingus offers check in at Dublin Airport the evening before
    I was issued a 7 digit reference code from Falcon. When that didn't work for online check-in, I rang Falcon help desk and the woman told me that aer lingus doesn't provide online check-in for flights booked through Falcon.
    Baby ended up sitting with mother on an aisle seat which was not an exit row but I take your point - it could easily work out that way if they don't spot that 4 people with the same surname and booked through the same operator may need to be seated close together.

Falcon will have the 6 character PNR code but they choose not to give it to clients.

There are few agents that do this primarily so they can charge the client for additional services or amendments. If you had the code you could make changes yourself for free or cheaper than what the agent would charge.

Queried this with them and they told me that the code will not be generated until they issue the manifest to aer lingus 48 hours before flight. If I request the code then they will give it to me and I can try deal directly with aer lingus at that stage ( by which time a substantial remainder of the passengers will probably have checked in online).

So my advice to anyone travelling through Falcon Holidays - beware if you want to ensure ye are sitting near/next to each other as a group!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Free AL check in is only 30 hours before a flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ccassidy92

Hi just looking some advice on checking car seats with aer lingus.

We are flying DUB - JFK with 3 year old and 1 year old, we have the bulkhead seats already on the plane, and I'm not looking to bring the car seats on board. But I was wondering if you can gate check 2 car seats or do you have to check them at the check in desk? And what would be the best way to transport the car seats to reduce risk of damage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

why would you lug 2 car seats with you round an airport? That makes no sense.
    You just check them in at checkin , probably needing to drop them at bulky luggage, which then means they dont go on the normal baggage system and are loaded separately from bags.
    As for risk of "damage" if you want to protect them from dirt just put a sturdy bin bag round each of them and tape it up. If you want to protect from breakages then you really are being paranoid as it really would take something drastic to break a car seat if its anything like any of the 6 maxi cosis we have had. And at the end of it if it breaks then you can just claim from the airline for damaged luggage.

Advertisement