Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

<SNIP>

Car seat thread merged with Travel queries thread.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

We got a very big and very sturdy Travel Bag where we put the Car Seats in, and then put it through as checked baggage for free. Usually we opened the zipper to show them ay Check in that there was only a Car Seat in it, but to be honest they never really cared and just put it through. Never had any damage to any of the seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Claiomh

Does anyone know why EI692 was cancelled this morning? I was due to travel on it, but the only excuse given was "operational reasons"

The whole situation seems to have been badly handled- it appears that they knew early on that it would be cancelled but held off making an announcement until well after 7am. There was also a long delay in organising rebookings or any information at all. All in all, badly handled by Aer Lingus.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Claiomh wrote: »
    Does anyone know why EI692 was cancelled this morning? I was due to travel on it, but the only excuse given was "operational reasons"............
    This is a blanket reason given out publically. Could mean the aircraft was broken, could mean another aircraft was broken and they took a long time to decide which flight to cancel in order to 'steal' its aircraft.
    I read on the EI fleet thread that they used a B757 on DUB-LGW today, so they could be having some issues with their A320 fleet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Claiomh wrote: »
    Does anyone know why EI692 was cancelled this morning? I was due to travel on it, but the only excuse given was "operational reasons"

That happened to me a few years ago. It took me a year, but I eventually got my EU261 compensation...

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Is "operational reasons" a get out of jail free card for the airlines to avoid paying EU261?
    Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Aer Lingus claimed as much.

I wrote to the regulator who disagreed. Aer Lingus subsequently sent me a cheque.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Noxegon wrote: »
    Is "operational reasons" a get out of jail free card for the airlines to avoid paying EU261?

Aer Lingus claimed as much.

I wrote to the regulator who disagreed. Aer Lingus subsequently sent me a cheque.

Reminds me of a story a good friend told me of when she started working in the Ryanair HQ, one of her first tasks in her new job was assisting a colleague in shredding the hundreds of compensations claims that had been sent in!!!! She said they got every Penny's worth out of the cost of that machine !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

If I had a genuine claim, I would have a go at it myself up to a refusal from the airline, then I would pay one of those ambulance chasers to persue to case.

Interesting one today where RY lost a court appeal over items stolen out of a cabin bag taken off a passenger and put in the hold. RY contended it wasn't checked baggage but the judge held that it was and awarded the claimant the €1400 max plus €400 costs.

• Advertisement

joeysoap wrote: »
    If I had a genuine claim, I would have a go at it myself up to a refusal from the airline, then I would pay one of those ambulance chasers to persue to case.

Interesting one today where RY lost a court appeal over items stolen out of a cabin bag taken off a passenger and put in the hold. RY contended it wasn't checked baggage but the judge held that it was and awarded the claimant the €1400 max plus €400 costs.

Yeah I read about that, interesting case, from a flight plan/manifest point of view are FR not counting gate bags as hold luggage? Or do they have a specific category, I wonder how this varies airline to airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Quick query. We are flying to Heathrow with BA from Dublin on July 1st. If the BA 16 day strike of mixed crews goes ahead is the Dublin Heathrow service likely to be affected? We need to get there on the Saturday. Thinking about booking some other service to any airport near London just incase.

Thanks in advance for any input.

medoc wrote: »
    Quick query. We are flying to Heathrow with BA from Dublin on July 1st. If the BA 16 day strike of mixed crews goes ahead is the Dublin Heathrow service likely to be affected? We need to get there on the Saturday. Thinking about booking some other service to any airport near London just incase.

Thanks in advance for any input.

The Dublin flights are crews by Eurozfleet crew, however that's not to say there'll be no disruption as they may just move crews around to cover priority routes etc so DUB may be affected

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Tenger wrote: »
    This is a blanket reason given out publically. Could mean the aircraft was broken, could mean another aircraft was broken and they took a long time to decide which flight to cancel in order to 'steal' its aircraft.
    I read on the EI fleet thread that they used a B757 on DUB-LGW today, so they could be having some issues with their A320 fleet?
    they did the same with the Cork-Munich flight a few months back which left the wife in the lurch and having to get me to ring the call centre at stupid o clock to talk to some aer lingus agent in the USA, and her to get a bus to Dublin in order to get back to Munich.

She never applied for compensation, but I must look into that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Can anyone tell me (before I attempt to ring and ask) if Ryanair allow you to sit in an exit row if you'll have an infant on your lap?
    Travelling to Palma with the missus and a 19 month old in September and I was hoping for an exit row for more room with the young lad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

jimbis wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me (before I attempt to ring and ask) if Ryanair allow you to sit in an exit row if you'll have an infant on your lap?
    Travelling to Palma with the missus and a 19 month old in September and I was hoping for an exit row for more room with the young lad.

No sorry, not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

It appears not.

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/Priority-boarding-allocated-seating/Which-seats-can-I-select

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

not sure why anyone would need more leg room with a child the size of a large ladies handbag. If you were to have travelled aer lingus you'd likely get a middle seat with a soft block, meaning free space (outside of take off and landing) until the very last seat on the plane is actually sold, but you're with Ryanair.....

With a child it would be utterly impractical anyhow to sit in an emergency row as you cannot keep the bag of supplies at your feet and it must be stowed above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

pilly wrote: »
    No sorry, not a hope.
    MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Thanks folks :)
    not sure why anyone would need more leg room with a child the size of a large ladies handbag. If you were to have travelled aer lingus you'd likely get a middle seat with a soft block, meaning free space (outside of take off and landing) until the very last seat on the plane is actually sold, but you're with Ryanair.....

With a child it would be utterly impractical anyhow to sit in an emergency row as you cannot keep the bag of supplies at your feet and it must be stowed above.
    Okay....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Is no need for a sarcastic answer. Exit rows give more than just extra legroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No airline in the world will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Not a hope, people who sit in exit rows are tasked with opening the emergency exits if there is an event of that nature. You wouldn't be able to do that with a child on your lap.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I think the first answer was good enough for the poster. Thanks of course to those who offered helpful answers after that point.
    However no need for sarkiness to a legitimate question in the questions thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just that.

I am travelling in the morning at short notice. I know there is an ATM that dispenses sterling just past security in T1, but am not sure of T2.

Googling hasn't really helped. A bit vague.

Does anyone with knowledge of T2 know? Many thanks. And if there is one where is it!

I know the exchange rate will be c rap, but needs must at short notice.

The destination airport in UK will have atms I know, but we need to get out of the airport fast, mission of mercy. It is Birmingham airport if anyone has info about location of ATMs in arrivals just in case. The place we are going to is in the sticks so I need cash. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,969 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Just that.

I am travelling in the morning at short notice. I know there is an ATM that dispenses sterling just past security in T1, but am not sure of T2.

Googling hasn't really helped. A bit vague.

Does anyone with knowledge of T2 know? Many thanks. And if there is one where is it!

I know the exchange rate will be c rap, but needs must at short notice.

The destination airport in UK will have atms I know, but we need to get out of the airport fast, mission of mercy. It is Birmingham airport if anyone has info about location of ATMs in arrivals just in case. The place we are going to is in the sticks so I need cash. Thanks.

There is one as you come in the main doors beside the lifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

Also, after security, in the shopping area, underneath the escalator that goes up to the food joints.

C635

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Thanks for the information. Very much appreciated. It's good to know where the sterling machines are in T2 Departures, saves a lot of time looking for them.

Whew.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭la ultima guagua

BTW.......Is it still possible to walk between T1 & T2 after security ?

Advertisement