Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Contact SAS and Norwegian as these are about the only two airline to fly out of Stavanger via Oslo. Also consider KLM via Amsterdam.

Nada on both,well sas can fly the dog in the hold for 600euro iirc.You have to recollect the dog from the cargo terminal in oslo which makes everything difficult when you take into account flight connection times+getting to the terminal..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Rawr

BMI (Via Newcastle) and BA (via Heathrow) also fly to Stavanger.
    However I think both will insist on checking your pet into the hold.

On reading a little, it looks like the only exception for BA are OpenSkies flights to/from Paris or New York where a dog can stay in the cabin if they are less than 6kg. (Seems oddly specific that only those flights have this...)

As an alternative I might suggest is getting a direct flight to OSL, checking your pet into the hold for that flight (Alas I don't see a way around that), and then if you have time take an intercity train to Stavanger. (NSB allow pets on the train, they even advertise this as an advantage over the airlines :D) If you take an evening train you can even book a sleeping cabin which are pretty nice (best sleep I've ever had).

If you absolutely do not want your pet in the hold, your only other option is to travel to Stavanger over land. The most direct ferry is from Immingham in the Uk to Brevik in Norway. Run by DFDS it operates twice a week, but can be expensive. (You also need to connect to Stavanger from there, probably by bus).

If you can reach Denmark by land, the port of Hurtsals has a ferry direct to Stavanger.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Rawr wrote: »
    The most direct ferry is from Immingham in the Uk to Brevik in Norway. Run by DFDS it operates twice a week, but can be expensive.

DFDS have stopped taking passengers on this route, it's the long way round by car now. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

BMI (Via Newcastle) and BA (via Heathrow) also fly to Stavanger.
    However I think both will insist on checking your pet into the hold.

You need to get to NCL first, do EI or FR take pets?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Rawr

JCX BXC wrote: »
    You need to get to NCL first, do EI or FR take pets?

More than likely they don't. I thought I'd mention these just to open up the OP's options to Stavanger. Perhaps a Sail/Rail would've been an option to get to NCL, but either way BMI don't allow dogs in the cabin (apart from service dogs I guess).

I really think the only options here are to check the dog into the hold or go there over land.

• Advertisement

More than likely they don't. I thought I'd mention these just to open up the OP's options to Stavanger. Perhaps a Sail/Rail would've been an option to get to NCL, but either way BMI don't allow dogs in the cabin (apart from service dogs I guess).

I really think the only options here are to check the dog into the hold or go there over land.

Fair enough, and just as a general point of interest, a sail and rail to Newcastle isn't something I'd like to try! The timings are truly awful.

Would it be suitable for the OP to have the dog carried in the hold if that was the only option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Dunno if this is right place!

But what baggage can you bring on as hand luggage for a long distance flight??

Emirates is 90% lilely who ill be booking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Does anyone know what delays are generally like in Dublin for security early mornings at the moment? Flying with three kids so could do without long delays. Flying Tuesday at 5:45am so will be there very early (3:45/4). Imagining the queues shouldn't be too bad that early but wondering if I should be considering fast track.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

sillysocks wrote: »
    Does anyone know what delays are generally like in Dublin for security early mornings at the moment? Flying with three kids so could do without long delays. Flying Tuesday at 5:45am so will be there very early (3:45/4). Imagining the queues shouldn't be too bad that early but wondering if I should be considering fast track.

Summer months with lots of families and tourists means security does take longer. They also seem to have stepped up the random checks and bag swabs in the last few weeks and that can add a little time if you're picked out..

That said, if you're there at 4 doing a quick bag drop and heading straight for security you'll have plenty of time. Also possible, depending on who you fly with, to drop check in baggage the night before. Handy if you live or are staying nearby and will save you time and stress in the morning.

That said, It's an awful sinking feeling when your running a little late and see a massive queue for security.. Found myself trying to buy fasttrack while standing in that long queue once and thought never again..

So I always buy it now. Sometimes it pays off sometimes it doesn't but it's well worth it for the peace of mind and lack of stress..

Have a safe trip :-)

No can't drop bags the night before which would have been great.
    Hoping to arrive at the car park around 3:30 (parking short term) but will have to check in bags. Not sure if there'll be a bag drop but guessing not because it's charter.

Am imagining we'd still have enough time but it's more the annoyance of standing in a long queue with three tired kids rather than being afraid of missing the flight. Decisions decisions!

• Advertisement

sillysocks wrote: »
    Am imagining we'd still have enough time but it's more the annoyance of standing in a long queue with three tired kids rather than being afraid of missing the flight. Decisions decisions!

Fair enough, I know what you mean..

Is it T1 ?

It's a busy time for charters.. Impossible to know what the queue will be like till you get there so it's always a bit of a gamble.

Again, I'd buy it as the €25 would be worth the peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

What's this about a bag drop the night before?

On an early Aer lingus flight in a couple of weeks with the family & that would be REALLY handy.

OU812 wrote: »
    What's this about a bag drop the night before?

On an early Aer lingus flight in a couple of weeks with the family & that would be REALLY handy.

You can do it with Aer Lingus and yes it is incredibly handy for early flights..

Would advise you contact them directly though to be sure to be sure..

Swanner wrote: »
    Fair enough, I know what you mean..

Is it T1 ?

It's a busy time for charters.. Impossible to know what the queue will be like till you get there so it's always a bit of a gamble.

Again, I'd buy it as the €25 would be worth the peace of mind.

Yes T1. Think we might buy it.... although it's showing as 8 eur per person for that time so a bit more expensive. I did see from a quick google that a baby doesn't need a pass but can't see it for sure on the main website. Tried ringing and the airport customer service didn't seem to know either!
    Anyone any experience in that?

Dropping bags the night before would be brilliant, no such luck though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Dunno if this is right place!

But what baggage can you bring on as hand luggage for a long distance flight??

Emirates is 90% lilely who ill be booking

Emirates would allow a similar sized bag to what you could bring on Ryanair weighing not more than 7 kg.

i think they allow a very generous 30 kg in checked luggage but I haven't flown with them since last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

On Aer Lingus transatlantic flights when they say "Soft drinks are served with our compliments" does that mean I can ask for a can of coke (or two) even after my meal or is that seen as a nuisance? Is the drink ONLY free when its served at the dinner?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

On Aer Lingus transatlantic flights when they say "Soft drinks are served with our compliments" does that mean I can ask for a can of coke (or two) even after my meal or is that seen as a nuisance? Is the drink ONLY free when its served at the dinner?
    I've never know a polite request for an extra can to be denied, I'm sure you'd be welcome to pop to the galley in between services and ask for a drink. Passengers who constantly press the call bell for menial requests are a nuisance

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Hi,

Encountered an issue yesterday with Aer Lingus (not me, the mother-in-law). She was flying UK to Cork and arrived promptly for check in, there was no queue so on she went. She was advised "there are heavy delays today, across all flights, check in isn't opening for another few hours, please come back at 1pm".
    She hung around for a while and came back at 12:40 to join a queue (if there was one). When she got to check in this time another person (not the original) told her "oh this flight is closed, you've missed it". Takeoff was supposed to be 13:00.

Obviously she argued her case based on what she had been told, they never claimed liability but they did move her to a 15:00 flight to Dublin. Obviously this was a massive convenience as she had her car parked at Dublin. Her son had to leave work early and drive from Waterford to Dublin dropping off at Cork Airport.

I'm discussing how to report this to Aer Lingus (through their Twitter account on private mails).
    Would this fall under claims of compensation for delayed flights as per the EU Regulation? I've only claimed for it once and that was a technical issue on a Ryanair flight.

Thanks for any and all replies.

How long was the delay?

Really, that sounds like a very complex case and you will probably need to go to a firm of some sort to fight it. No harm in looking at some of the no claim no fee type setups..

• Advertisement

I'd try private message aer lingus and explain all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I thought regardless of how much delay there was check in operated the same i.e. 13:00 flight delayed to 17:00 (or whatever) you still had to check in before 12:20. I think that was an odd thing to be told by the handling agents.

joeysoap wrote: »
    I thought regardless of how much delay there was check in operated the same i.e. 13:00 flight delayed to 17:00 (or whatever) you still had to check in before 12:20. I think that was an odd thing to be told by the handling agents.
    Yeah you're right! And I've never heard of this, why wouldn't they just check you in anyway, if there's a delay so what, sit it out in a cafe or something once you're checked in all you have to do is monitor the screens for your go to gate signal.
    Very poor advice given by the ground staff, sounds like work experience student was left alone on their first day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Hi all, I was chatting to Aer Lingus on twitter and they've advised contacting Guest Relations via the website. I've heard nothing back since.

There was no actual delay in the sense the Cork flight took off on time, it seem the agent saw a passenger with a surname on the Dublin flight. This was what was explained to my MIL when they were sorting the new flight at 12:45.

The Dublin flight took off 2 hours after the scheduled Cork departure, but then you had the round trip to Dublin Airport via Cork Airport to pick up the car.

I think it might a case the passport wasn't scanned and when the surname was entered only the Dublin flight was looked at.
    Definitely looking like a ground agent issue.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Hi all, I was chatting to Aer Lingus on twitter and they've advised contacting Guest Relations via the website. I've heard nothing back since.

There was no actual delay in the sense the Cork flight took off on time, it seem the agent saw a passenger with a surname on the Dublin flight. This was what was explained to my MIL when they were sorting the new flight at 12:45.

The Dublin flight took off 2 hours after the scheduled Cork departure, but then you had the round trip to Dublin Airport via Cork Airport to pick up the car.

I think it might a case the passport wasn't scanned and when the surname was entered only the Dublin flight was looked at.
    Definitely looking like a ground agent issue.
    Passports aren't scanned at the check in desk.
    So the agent must have entered the surname and made the mistake with the two flights. So the responsibility is entirely the handling agents fault. I'd personally contact who ever the handelonh agent is in Manchester and complain aswell as following it up with EI

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Locker10a wrote: »
    So the agent must have entered the surname and made the mistake with the two flights. So the responsibility is entirely the handling agents fault. I'd personally contact who ever the handelonh agent is in Manchester and complain aswell as following it up with EI

The handling agent represents the airline so go directly to Aer Lingus as this is who you purchased the ticket from, it is their responsibility to go to the handling agent and find out what happened not yours.

Keep the pressure on them on Facebook/Twitter etc..

SNNUS wrote: »
    Locker10a wrote: »

The handling agent represents the airline so go directly to Aer Lingus as this is who you purchased the ticket from, it is their responsibility to go to the handling agent and find out what happened not yours.

Keep the pressure on them on Facebook/Twitter etc..
    Yeah but these investigations could take weeks, that's why I'd email and follow it up with both, complaining just to EI will mean they will have to go and explain the whole story again to the station manager in Manchester etc. if you keep after both of them you'll hopefully get somewhere faster

30 days for a reply, that's just a reply apparently, that's before they even go in for the whole investigation!

• Advertisement

Was entitled to a refund last November with EI, didn't receive it until April, after 7 emails.

Advertisement