Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

Last year I bid for an upgrade on my Aer Lingus flight to USA and ended up being successful and had a great (one way) trip over at the front.

I am planning another trip and looking at the chance of flying Business Class one way again. It's expensive but not out of this world.

I am wondering from more regular business class travellers which is the best business class service from Ireland between Ireland and America with Aer Lingus as a starting point. I know United, Delta and American all operate? The things that appeal to me most are the lounge, seats, food and drink, entertainment and overall service. Less important are wifi and points.

I also looked at British Airways connecting at Heathrow. I thought they would be much more expensive. On my sample dates (12-19 September) one way business class to New York was €943 compared to €918 for Aer Lingus so i would definitely consider that if people thought it was better even with the extra flight.

Out of curiosity I priced the same BA flight just from London. It was £1517 (€1700) so almost twice the price that it is on sale for in Ireland and that doesn't even cover the extra flight from Dublin - London. Similar situation for Las Vegas. This seems to be a case where we get a better deal in Ireland than elsewhere.

I ma really just looking for opinions on what people think is the best service from Ireland. Also I will probably only be able to afford Business one way and flew it outbound last time. Any preference whether the experience is better outbound than inbound?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Inbound are usually night flights from the US with the exception of the bigger routes (JFK, BOS etc) so outbound you will receive better experience. I'd fly BA business class. How much is Virgin Upper class in comparison? (AFAIR, Virgin only do economy, prem economy and Upper class?)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Conor84 wrote: »
    Last year I bid for an upgrade on my Aer Lingus flight to USA and ended up being successful and had a great (one way) trip over at the front.

I am planning another trip and looking at the chance of flying Business Class one way again. It's expensive but not out of this world.

I am wondering from more regular business class travellers which is the best business class service from Ireland between Ireland and America with Aer Lingus as a starting point. I know United, Delta and American all operate? The things that appeal to me most are the lounge, seats, food and drink, entertainment and overall service. Less important are wifi and points.

I also looked at British Airways connecting at Heathrow. I thought they would be much more expensive. On my sample dates (12-19 September) one way business class to New York was €943 compared to €918 for Aer Lingus so i would definitely consider that if people thought it was better even with the extra flight.

Out of curiosity I priced the same BA flight just from London. It was £1517 (€1700) so almost twice the price that it is on sale for in Ireland and that doesn't even cover the extra flight from Dublin - London. Similar situation for Las Vegas. This seems to be a case where we get a better deal in Ireland than elsewhere.

I ma really just looking for opinions on what people think is the best service from Ireland. Also I will probably only be able to afford Business one way and flew it outbound last time. Any preference whether the experience is better outbound than inbound?

There is significant price competition for Ireland-origin biz passengers to the US - Virgin and BA often charge less for an Ireland-LON-US r/t than the LON-US bit. Or MAN-US on Virgin.

I actually know of a group who flew to DUB from LGW to fly DUB-LGW-LAS on VS. Time wasn't an issue, they wanted the experience basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Conor84 wrote: »

As a previously very regular BA business class user (and now more occasional), I have found their service to be pretty good. It's not without its faults and I think in recent years they have made even business class a bit less classy - you don't get the luxury feel that you get with the Middle Eastern carriers or some of the Europeans, but it's a decent product. Don't forget that if you fly on a business ticket via LHR you will have the benefit of lounge, fast track and business class on the Dublin to London sector also (just make sure it's a BA operated flight not Aer Lingus). I have limited experience travelling west from Ireland but I reckon BA are certainly better than their American counterparts and based on lounges alone I think they are better than Aer Lingus also. The BA lounges in LHR, while really busy and worn have really good food and an excellent drinks selection ;) So if time is not an issue for you I'd be suggesting BA, but if you just want to get there and back in comfort, Aer Lingus.

Edit: oh and depending on how much of a geek you are - BA still operate the 747 on the JFK route. The upstairs of their 747's are business class only - it makes for a very spacious and comfortable journey. Feels like you're on a flight with only 20 other people!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

My wife flies Business to the states for her annual NYC trip, she books well in advance, SNN -JFK return with EI this year is €1700, not bad for the product, the space leg room is worth it for that alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 kevin711

Often some super deals in business to USA with BA, cheaper than starting in UK, and usually cheaper than EI. And you can mix it up, BA let you choose different class for outbound and return legs. There's even a collection of UK frequent fliers who regularly position to DUB to start 'tier point runs' to keep / attain status - extra flights within USA often cost very little extra. Earlier this year I flew DUB - LHR - JFK - LAX - LAS - JFK - LHR - DUB, with stopovers, lounges, all in business class for €1600 and got BA Silver!
    Depending on your route you'd be on 747, 777, 787, A380 etc.
    Only downsides are that the Club World product is looking dated at this stage; also if going to JFK, the USCBP in T7 is an absolute hellhole :(
    We don't know how lucky we are with DUB pre- clearance!
    You could also try AA to PHL and onwards.

Choice of 747, 777, 787 and A380 depending on your route.
    LiamaDelta wrote: »
    As a previously very regular BA business class user (and now more occasional), I have found their service to be pretty good. It's not without its faults and I think in recent years they have made even business class a bit less classy - you don't get the luxury feel that you get with the Middle Eastern carriers or some of the Europeans, but it's a decent product. Don't forget that if you fly on a business ticket via LHR you will have the benefit of lounge, fast track and business class on the Dublin to London sector also (just make sure it's a BA operated flight not Aer Lingus). I have limited experience travelling west from Ireland but I reckon BA are certainly better than their American counterparts and based on lounges alone I think they are better than Aer Lingus also. The BA lounges in LHR, while really busy and worn have really good food and an excellent drinks selection ;) So if time is not an issue for you I'd be suggesting BA, but if you just want to get there and back in comfort, Aer Lingus.

Edit: oh and depending on how much of a geek you are - BA still operate the 747 on the JFK route. The upstairs of their 747's are business class only - it makes for a very spacious and comfortable journey. Feels like you're on a flight with only 20 other people!

Agreed!
    Upper deck on a BA 747, facing rearwards, still a great experience.
    LiamaDelta wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

kevin711 wrote: »
    Earlier this year I flew DUB - LHR - JFK - LAX - LAS - JFK - LHR - DUB

Just out of interest what were the layovers times like with that route and were all stops necessary?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Flying economy with United in a few weeks to Newark, I see they have an economy plus available anyone recommend it or is it not worth the money for an extra few inches of foot space? Thanks in advance.

Spent a night in NYC and a night in LA, would've been exhausting otherwise. All the stops weren't necessary but the different sectors help to stack up the Avios and Tier points.. also that itinerary was best price and most efficient for me..
    OU812 wrote: »
    Just out of interest what were the layovers times like with that route and were all stops necessary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

is it me or is the cleanliness in Dublin Airport gone completely down hill? Sticky car park buses, toilets in a disgusting state, food areas littered - is that the new normal? I was honestly shocked using it two days this week, I've yet to see a dirtier airport!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

martinsvi wrote: »
    is it me or is the cleanliness in Dublin Airport gone completely down hill? Sticky car park buses, toilets in a disgusting state, food areas littered - is that the new normal? I was honestly shocked using it two days this week, I've yet to see a dirtier airport!

Summer. Airport is busier than ever and they don't seem either to bother, or to be able to get enough short term extra staff for some functions. There's a distinct lack of staff for lower paying jobs in Dublin now.

Food areas are looked after by the franchisers and the DAA will moan at them if you moan at the DAA - I got asked for my details so SSP could apologise to me for having filthy cutlery once for instance. They're quite good at responding to complaints in general actually (the DAA that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Gamebred wrote: »
    Flying economy with United in a few weeks to Newark, I see they have an economy plus available anyone recommend it or is it not worth the money for an extra few inches of foot space? Thanks in advance.

Those 5 extra inches make a difference! ;)

I flew with United SNN-EWR return in May with Economy Plus seats.
    I'm about 6'1" and I find it difficult to get comfortable on flights, especially red-eye flights, so any extra legroom is very welcome.

How much extra is Economy Plus? My flight was for work so I wasn't paying... but I would definitely consider paying that bit more for the extra legroom. Plus you're closer to the doors and you get food and drink quicker (than basic economy).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Probably been asked before but how many of Ryanairs fleet have the sky interior?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Gamebred wrote: »
    Probably been asked before but how many of Ryanairs fleet have the sky interior?

I had a quick look at airfleets.net and there have been 89 deliveries since the beginning of 2016. I don't know when the first "Sky" frame was delivered but I believe it was the beginning of 2016, so lets say about 80 of them have it, give or take. They are not refitting any old cabins and only new deliveries will see the interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I flew with Air France for the first time last week, transatlantic from MSP to CDG on an Airbus A340-300 in economy.

I was expecting a 'better' experience I have to say. The interior was very old. The TV screen was very small and square in shape and beyond useless. It was extremely hard to watch/read anything on it (maybe my screen was particularly bad). The window seat beside me was empty, but the armrest was very clunky and couldn't be pulled up to the vertical position so that was annoying.

I've flown with Delta and United recently on the DUB/SNN - MSP route and they were much better than Air France.

Is it just bad luck that they use an old A340-300 for that particular route, or would it be common enough for Air France when flying transatlantic?

423391.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I flew with Air France for the first time last week, transatlantic from MSP to CDG on an Airbus A340-300 in economy.

I was expecting a 'better' experience I have to say. The interior was very old. The TV screen was very small and square in shape and beyond useless. It was extremely hard to watch/read anything on it (maybe my screen was particularly bad). The window seat beside me was empty, but the armrest was very clunky and couldn't be pulled up to the vertical position so that was annoying.

I've flown with Delta and United recently on the DUB/SNN - MSP route and they were much better than Air France.

Is it just bad luck that they use an old A340-300 for that particular route, or would it be common enough for Air France when flying transatlantic?

423391.jpg

If you google an image of their A380 and 787 economy seats they are vastly different

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭Harika

Hi there,
    I am flying with Lufthansa from Dublin to Zürich to Vienna and had planned to buy a bottle of Whiskey at the duty free in Dublin. Now I read that in Zürich I would have to give the bottle away as it would not pass through the security at the gate in Zürich.
    Is that true, would I loose any duty free shopping I buy in Dublin in Zürich? I could buy a bottle in Zürich, just there are far less options available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Can't you buy in Zurich (after all they have a REAL Duty free there) as you are not in the EU

Otherwise get it in a sealed secure bag, this is routine procedure at Dublin

And you are flying Swiss not Lufthansa...

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭shamrockvilla

Can't you buy in Zurich (after all they have a REAL Duty free there) as you are not in the EU

Otherwise get it in a sealed secure bag, this is routine procedure at Dublin

And you are flying Swiss not

When did Austria leave the EU?

• Advertisement

Zurich is Switzerland...

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭shamrockvilla

Zurich is Switzerland...
    travelling through Vienna on the way back?
    why not buy it in Dublin and collect on the way back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

travelling through Vienna on the way back?
    why not buy it in Dublin and collect on the way back?

You can't to shop and collect for Duty free! Only if you are travelling in the EU aid shop and Collect available

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭Harika

To clarify, I want to bring the Whiskey to Austria not back to Ireland. I could buy it in Zürich, but they only have two or three brands of irish whiskey, I would prefer one from the Dublin airport as they have more choices and options that you wouldn't get in Austria. Like Jameson I can get in the supermarket in Austria.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

have them pack it in one of them sealed bags in Dublin and you should be fine. - https://www.zurich-airport.com/passengers-and-visitors/arrivals-and-departures/transfers

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

martinsvi wrote: »
    have them pack it in one of them sealed bags in Dublin and you should be fine. - https://www.zurich-airport.com/passengers-and-visitors/arrivals-and-departures/transfers

And when they ask where your final destination is say Zurich and only show them that boarding pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

Once the bottle is packed in a sealed security bag, there shouldn't be a problem in Zurich transferring to the Vienna flight. Brought a sealed bag through Heathrow security recently. They take it away to quickly inspect the bag then give it back to you if it hasn't been tampered with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Seems pretty straight forward to me.
    https://www.zurich-airport.com/passengers-and-visitors/arrivals-and-departures/transfers
    Tax and duty free liquids must be produced at the security checkpoint and will undergo an additional control. After clearance, they can be taken on board.
    To my mind that says, "buy whatever Whiskey you want in Dublin and enjoy it in Austria".
    Now I read that in Zürich I would have to give the bottle away as it would not pass through the security at the gate in Zürich.
    Would have you a link to this horse manure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Everyone has a free allowance, so a single bottle of Whisky is not going to be a problem

Advertisement