Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Folks, travelling with Ryanair - can two people have their boarding passes on one mobile device?

(ie; two of us heading off together, not sitting together on plane, one of us has both passes on a single phone). For some reason i can see problems appearing with this?

As long as you're together at security and boarding there won't be a problem. I

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

After an hour the captain said that we had lost our slot . Then 3 hours later he told us that we would have to leave the plane. We eventually left Dublin at 10pm, flight was originally due to leave at 3.15pm. It was a Thomson flight and the only one that did not leave T1. I asked the rep this evening if she knew the reason for the delay and she said she had no info. I am just curious as to why there was such a delay.
    Yeah sounds like a pretty extreme delays for a slot. Unless Heraklion airport was shut or something. But the rep would have known that

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Half Man Half Biscuit

The airport wasn't shut down. I'll take it up with them when I get home. Thanks for your comment

JCX BXC wrote: »
    As long as you're together at security and boarding there won't be a problem. I

You were dead right. Thanking you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Anyone flown aa dublin to philidelphia economy. What's the in flight service like. Meals etc is alcohol complimentary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

We are in Madrid for a few days and are due to fly home tomorrow morning with Ryanair. They texted us this evening saying the flight is canceled due to the air traffic control strike in France tomorrow. Ryanair via web chat are not much help and are very vague. What should I do. Flights direct to Dublin are gonna cost €530 each. Will Ryanair refund this? Or should I go via another airport in Europe for much less and claim that back? What is reasonable to pay and get refunded? Any advice would be much appreciated as Ryanair aren’t much help at all.

You'll only be refunded what you paid for the flights. Ask Ryanair to redirect you (for free), they have an obligation to do so.

Meanwhile, keep a receipt of everything you eat and the cost of hotels if needed from when you were due to fly to when you actually fly, they're obligated to refund you this provided you take their redirection. (Providing those costs are reasonable, don't go all out on 5 course meals with fillet steaks and 5 star hotels.)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

medoc wrote: »
    We are in Madrid for a few days and are due to fly home tomorrow morning with Ryanair. They texted us this evening saying the flight is canceled due to the air traffic control strike in France tomorrow. Ryanair via web chat are not much help and are very vague. What should I do. Flights direct to Dublin are gonna cost €530 each. Will Ryanair refund this? Or should I go via another airport in Europe for much less and claim that back? What is reasonable to pay and get refunded? Any advice would be much appreciated as Ryanair aren’t much help at all.

This happened to us last year on the way home from Malaga. Flight cancelled due to ATC strike, but we were in the airport when it happened.

We were directed to the Ryanair desk in Malaga airport. They sorted us out with a nice hotel in the city, transport to and from hotel and back to the airport for the return, and re routed us a couple of days later. We could have claimed for meals, but didn't bother as it is so cheap to eat out in Spain anyway. But we could have...

There is no compensation given when flights are cancelled due to strikes, just to mention, but they should sort you out otherwise.

I would suggest that you go to the airport anyway and go to the Ryanair desk. They should sort you out. Well that was my experience anyway. There is a metro to the airport in Madrid, as you probably know by now! Best of luck.

Thanks guys. Gonna chance turning up at the airport tomorrow morning and see what our options are. I don’t want to pay over a grand and risk not getting refunded. My insurance won’t cover strikes!! Will see what Ryanair say in Madrid airport tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

I'm due to fly AMS-TLV on El Al next week, i've heard the stories about El Al security but they can be mixed. Anyone have experience on this route? I'll probably just have a carry on case with me, are their restrictions on liquids etc. the same as everywhere else? I have a vape pen, will this cause any issues? Anything else to look out for so as not to cause any hassle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

medoc wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Gonna chance turning up at the airport tomorrow morning and see what our options are. I don’t want to pay over a grand and risk not getting refunded. My insurance won’t cover strikes!! Will see what Ryanair say in Madrid airport tomorrow.

Hope it all turns out ok.

If you get the chance, you might update us on how you got on. Might help others in the same boat sometime. Thanks.

If you get the chance, you might update us on how you got on. Might help others in the same boat sometime. Thanks.

Yea will do of course. Hopefully it’ll be ok but it’s uncharted territory for me. Thanks again for the input.

Made it home to Dublin. We were going to book our own flights and claim back but they were well over €500 each in the end. We instead went to Madrid Airport to the Ryanair desk. They could only offer us a flight next Saturday but that would have been awkward and very problematic for my work. I asked if we could fly home via anywhere else. They put us on the last two seats to Stansted, which itself was an hour delayed due to the air traffic strike. We had a 9.5 hour stay over in Stanstead but did get home to Dublin at 11.30 last night (12 hours later than we were supposed to). We weren’t out of pocket for flights with the exception of €4 to sit together on the Stansted Dublin flight. And food. I’m going to try and claim from them for the food we bought and maybe the €4 seat fee. Also the extra day parking at quick park and see what response I get. In fairness to the Ryanair agent in Madrid, she was very friendly and helpful and there were lots of people in our position. Most seemed to be redirected on other flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭boccy23

Travelling on Monday morning with Lufthansa on the 5:15AM flight, am I better off with Fast Track?
    Is it worth it as it is one of the first flights out of the airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

boccy23 wrote: »
    Travelling on Monday morning with Lufthansa on the 5:15AM flight, am I better off with Fast Track?

Asked a similar question during the summer for a 5:45am flight. In the end we took the chance not to get Fast Track and were glad we hadn't - there were no queues of note and were through in a couple of minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

was told on my way through security in liverpool last sunday morning(a wee bit hungover) that my clear ziplock bag ,with only 4 items in it, was too big. i have been using the same type of ziplock bag the last few times i have travelled and it has never been an issue. can anyone shed some light on this for me?
    I honestly thought the lady was messing with me and i started laughing at her. didn't go down well. told me that i had to back out to buy a new bag and rejoin the 25min cue again. saw a smaller torn bag on the floor beside me and the zip lock thingy was broken. put my things into this and said in a fairly pissed off voice
    "will that do" she just said go on.

fearruanua wrote: »
    was told on my way through security in liverpool last sunday morning(a wee bit hungover) that my clear ziplock bag ,with only 4 items in it, was too big. i have been using the same type of ziplock bag the last few times i have travelled and it has never been an issue. can anyone shed some light on this for me?
    I honestly thought the lady was messing with me and i started laughing at her. didn't go down well. told me that i had to back out to buy a new bag and rejoin the 25min cue again. saw a smaller torn bag on the floor beside me and the zip lock thingy was broken. put my things into this and said in a fairly pissed off voice
    "will that do" she just said go on.

Yeah there is a regulation type and size bag. A home freeze food bag is not one! Most airports provide them for free. And some airports are stricter than others on turning a blind eye to non regulation ones

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

boccy23 wrote: »

I wouldn't bother. That will almost certainly be the first flight of the day. I took the same flight before at 5:55 and it wasn't that busy. Since you're even earlier you shouldn't have any trouble.

Locker10a wrote: »
    Yeah there is a regulation type and size bag. A home freeze food bag is not one! Most airports provide them for free. And some airports are stricter than others on turning a blind eye to non regulation ones

Never happened me in an Irish airport, happens most of the time in a UK airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Never happened me in an Irish airport, happens most of the time in a UK airport.

Happened to me once in Dublin Airport, of course it was the one time I was running a bit late (do they have a sixth sense for this?) and it was before they had the bags for free so you had to get the little capsule from a machine with 2 bags in it (but you're only allowed use one :confused:), and I didn't have a euro coin so someone else in the queue kindly donated one to the cause and they all let me skip the queue to go through again - nearly had a heart attack that day, but thankfully it's never happened again since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I was stopped once in Faro for not having those little tubs of sardine pate in a clear bag. Had to go back and buy one as well. They come in packs of four and before that I used to lift them out and put them in the tray. Maybe 4 packs of four. Nobody batted an eyelid.

Since that time I just leave them in the carry on and nobody has ever said anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

joeysoap wrote:
    I was stopped once in Faro for not having those little tubs of sardine pate in a clear bag. Had to go back and buy one as well. They come in packs of four and before that I used to lift them out and put them in the tray. Maybe 4 packs of four. Nobody batted an eyelid.

You should have been ejected from the airport for bringing sardines on a flight!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

same as that

joeysoap wrote: »

Since that time I just leave them in the carry on and nobody has ever said anything.

You eat sardine paste on a flight ???

:):):):)

http://portuguesefood.co.uk/pate/sardine-pate-manna-4-x-22g

Or

http://portuguesefood.co.uk/pate/sardine-pate-fides-4-x-22g

Not for eating eating on the aircraft

You guys never been on holidays in Portugal?

joeysoap wrote: »
    :):):):)

http://portuguesefood.co.uk/pate/sardine-pate-manna-4-x-22g

Or

http://portuguesefood.co.uk/pate/sardine-pate-fides-4-x-22g

Not for eating eating on the aircraft

You guys never been on holidays in Portugal?

As long as you don't open that near me on a flight you can do what ever you like

Locker10a wrote: »
    As long as you don't open that near me on a flight you can do what ever you like

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

hi, anyone any ideas about what might be happening with flights scheduled to land in Dublin on Monday and Tuesday? Could there be diversions because of the extreme weather forecasted?

hi, anyone any ideas about what might be happening with flights scheduled to land in Dublin on Monday and Tuesday? Could there be diversions because of the extreme weather forecasted?

Possibly, but it may not turn out so bad, usually when predicted, events like this are nothing in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Advertisement