Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Riskymove wrote: »

we have relatives coming from Canada, and they are afraid of flying... in fact the last time they came they took a trans Atlantic cruise to avoid flying over.
    They picked a bad day to come over this time around!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

It's all gone very quiet on here? No further updates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

I’d imagine on current indications Cork and Shannon will have big problems Monday afternoon
    Dublin also a bit later probably
    I think it’s westerly winds that have the highest impact at DUB crosswind wise,others here will advise
    Monday will be south ,south west and I think SE at times
    Even at Dub a one in 20 years wind event is probable
    Because this low pressure being even 50 miles east or further west will have huge effects on how it’s felt in particular areas,then it will realistically be Sunday before a call is made, as more exacting specific calls cannot be made until it’s exact track is pinned down better

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Poker Face

What would the wind speed have to be to close Dublin Airport? Have a flight on Monday at 2pm

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Poker Face wrote: »
    What would the wind speed have to be to close Dublin Airport? Have a flight on Monday at 2pm

Depends entirely on direction.

Far too early to tell, I'd prepare for the worst just in case (cancellation and getting a flight a day or two later). Personally I think winds wont be hitting severe levels until after 2, but again far too early to tell.

Sunday evenings TAF's (Terminal Area Forecast) will give us much more information on what to expect in terms of wind and direction.

However, it's just not possible to know until the day itself. Winds sometimes don't arrive as forecast, or sometimes are much more than forecast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Missed my flight to Tenerife today for obvious reasons but I can't seem to find a flight for tomorrow or the day after that isn't sold out/ multi-stop. Wondering does anyone here have experience with this and have found any clever ways to get to their destination in this scenario still?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,720 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Missed my flight to Tenerife today for obvious reasons but I can't seem to find a flight for tomorrow or the day after that isn't sold out/ multi-stop. Wondering does anyone here have experience with this and have found any clever ways to get to their destination in this scenario still?

Can you not rebook with the airline considering the circumstances?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

LXFlyer wrote: »

Yeah, I tried ringing Are Lingus there but their phones weren't working. I'll try that again later on thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Yeah, I tried ringing Are Lingus there but their phones weren't working. I'll try that again later on thanks.

I'd say their phones lines are hopping!
    If you really need to get to your destination urgently then I'd go for the multi-stop option. They may have options with a connection via London or mardid tomorrow. Otherwise you'll just have to wait a few days as I'd say there's a fair backlog of passengers from cancellations and flights will be full up

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

That's a cool website

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Tenger wrote: »
    That's a cool website

Very much so, and over the last few days, their modelling of the winds and gusts was very good.

The nice thing about it is that there are so many options on the one site, with the critical things like wind, rain and temperature all being available, and with the rolling graphical presentation of current and future predictions, I can see it being a site that's used a lot, as long as the input they are using to drive it is valid, which is an unknown at the moment, I've asked the question over in the weather forum, but not had a comprehensive reply yet.

If's for sure a lot more user friendly than some of the traditional forecast sites, which is a huge plus.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

On an economy ticket can I get access to DUB Fast Track with a BA Executive Club Silver for me and a guest? The various sites BA/DAA/etc. seem very light on info.

Also I'm 100 Tier Points away from BA Executive Club Gold. I have until the 8 Dec 2017 to make 1,500 points. What's the best way of making this (as my work commitments don't see me using BA before then)?

I was thinking a DUB-LHR Economy return earning 20 points and a DUB-LHR Business return earning 80 but don't particularly want to stay in London on these runs twice.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

smurfjed wrote: »

Indeed. I've been a fan of null school for quite a while.

On an economy ticket can I get access to DUB Fast Track with a BA Executive Club Silver for me and a guest? The various sites BA/DAA/etc. seem very light on info.

Also I'm 100 Tier Points away from BA Executive Club Gold. I have until the 8 Dec 2017 to make 1,500 points. What's the best way of making this (as my work commitments don't see me using BA before then)?

I was thinking a DUB-LHR Economy return earning 20 points and a DUB-LHR Business return earning 80 but don't particularly want to stay in London on these runs twice.

The silver card will get fast track for just you

An Iberia and BA return to mad via London will get you 160 tp’s

Go to google flights ,select one world only and business class and Dub as your origin and see if you can get a cheap business class via London to ams,bru, cdg or Nce or others
    You’ll over shoot by 60 tp’s but will do it in one trip
    I see dub ams there via Lhr on BA metal for €429 18 to 20 nov
    Make a weekend out of it
    You’ll get a cabin and tier bonus avios aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

The silver card will get fast track for just you

An Iberia and BA return to mad via London will get you 160 tp’s

Go to google flights ,select one world only and business class and Dub as your origin and see if you can get a cheap business class via London to ams,bru, cdg or Nce or others
    You’ll over shoot by 60 tp’s but will do it in one trip
    I see dub ams there via Lhr on BA metal for €429 18 to 20 nov
    Make a weekend out of it
    You’ll get a cabin and tier bonus avios aswell

This is perfect, thank you.

Pity that the Silver card doesn't get fast track for you and a guest but for ~€5 it's worth it anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Checking flight times here, an EI flight leaving DUB for MIA on one day as per their website is scheduled to depart DUB at 1500 and arrive at 1915.

Two days later the same flight is scheduled to leave 15mins later at 1515 yet has a scheduled arrival time of 2030, a whole 75mins later.

Any reason/explanation for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

SRFC90 wrote: »
    Checking flight times here, an EI flight leaving DUB for MIA on one day as per their website is scheduled to depart DUB at 1500 and arrive at 1915.

Two days later the same flight is scheduled to leave 15mins later at 1515 yet has a scheduled arrival time of 2030, a whole 75mins later.

Any reason/explanation for this?

Sounds like it could be due to Daylight saving hours being different in the US vs Europe. Happens twice a year for a week where the times are out by an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Check if the dates coincide with the clocks changing. It appears that may be the case, as Ireland and USA change at different times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Check if the dates coincide with the clocks changing. It appears that may be the case, as Ireland and USA change at different times.

this happened to me last year

went to NYC and was 5 hours behind for a few days and then only 4 hours behind for rest of trip

America change clocks first weekend in November while we change last weekend in October

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

I have booked flights which require a transfer from Heathrow to Gatwick.

The flight to Heathow is from Miami and is scheduled to arrive in at 6.45am. My flight from Gatwick to Dublin is scheduled to leave at 10.55am on the same day.

I will have to collect my bag in Heathrow, transfer to Gatwick and check my bag back in there.

I've not done this transfer between airports before, so i have two queries.

1. Is the 4 hour window between flights enough to collect bags, transfer and check-in between the 2 airports?

2. If i am delayed getting to Heathrow and miss the subsequent flight from Gatwick, is that my fault? I am flying BA, from Lima to Miama, Miami to Heathrow and then from Gatwick to Dublin. Flights were booked through a 3rd party website.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

the quickest journey between both airports is around 1hour to 1 hour 15

If you are on time, get bags and into transfer within 60 mins of landing thats about 2 hours to 2 hours 30 getting to gatwick

Leaves you with 1.5 to 2 hours to flight to get through bag drop and security

it could be tight and any delay could make it tighter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

I know, I wasn't paying attention when i made the booking. The original booking was return flights to Lima and we were looking for a cross between value for money and as few stopovers as possible. I didn't notice the last hop was from different airports till well after the booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,720 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Why not get onto BA and see if you can change the last leg to a flight from Heathrow?

It would be madness trying to do that transfer.

It may cost something to change the leg, but the saving in piece of mind would be worthwhile.

Why not get onto BA and see if you can change the last leg to a flight from Heathrow?

It would be madness trying to do that transfer.

It may cost something to change the leg, but the saving in piece of mind would be worthwhile.

I purchased the tickets through e-travel.ie. when i contacted them, they said there would be a €250 charge to change the booking.
    I'll try contacting them directly to see if i can change it.

I have booked flights which require a transfer from Heathrow to Gatwick.

The flight to Heathow is from Miami and is scheduled to arrive in at 6.45am. My flight from Gatwick to Dublin is scheduled to leave at 10.55am on the same day.

I will have to collect my bag in Heathrow, transfer to Gatwick and check my bag back in there.

I've not done this transfer between airports before, so i have two queries.

1. Is the 4 hour window between flights enough to collect bags, transfer and check-in between the 2 airports?

2. If i am delayed getting to Heathrow and miss the subsequent flight from Gatwick, is that my fault? I am flying BA, from Lima to Miama, Miami to Heathrow and then from Gatwick to Dublin. Flights were booked through a 3rd party website.

TIA

Yes 4 hours is plenty time
    Just familiarise yourself with where to get the bus from Heathrow to Gatwick
    It's going to be an hour or so bus journey and they run very frequently

If you are thinking of not wanting the hassle of the Lhr to Lgw transfer(which will be fine anyway) then price up an aer lingus or BA one way flight home on that day from Heathrow itself,it may be way cheaper to just do that,than a €250 change fee per person

If your BA flight from Miami is delayed by more than two hours,you'd be better off in that circumstance going immediately to a Ba desk in Heathrow and asking to be moved to a Ba flight from Heathrow claiming you wouldn't have a hope of getting to Gatwick in time

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭tanka006

Hi Guys

Very quick question - I am traveling Donegal - Dublin - Prague all with Aer Lingus - into & out of terminal 2

I will only have hand luggage

Is there anyway i can get from the arrival gate to the departure gate without going out & then back through security?

Same question on return flight?

Many Thanks All
    Tanka

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Flyer talk have a good guide to moving between the airports.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1734568-heathrow-gatwick-transport-options-pictorial-guide.html

Book the bus online if it was me.

Advertisement