Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

This post has been deleted.

Thanks Fred. I didn't realise that there could be different policies. I'll ask Emirates.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Have had it each way in the distant past, Cathay Pacific via SIN was an hour and option to stay onboard, BA via Hong Kong was get off for cleaning and fueling. (Might have mixed up the airports,but was definitely 2 different policies)

I havent flown EK in such a manner so unsure.

The lack of response to your query wasn’t lack of interest, it was lack of a clear and correct answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I've been on EK flights to SIN and SYD recently, both going on elsewhere and each time they made everyone going further get off and re-board (both on my outbound and return journeys).

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭iancm25

BigMoose wrote: »
    I've been on EK flights to SIN and SYD recently, both going on elsewhere and each time they made everyone going further get off and re-board (both on my outbound and return journeys).
    Ditto for me on EK flight to BNE (goes onward to AKL). Everyone off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Thanks everyone for the replies, much appreciated :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I have a Heathrow question. I stayed recently in an airport hotel just north of the airport on a preimeter road. The local bus was free, score :) It was really close, if you stood outside reception you could see and hear the planes taking off every minute or so. I knew Heathrow is super busy but I never realized it was that busy!

The next day I still see the takeoffs but they are using the runway further to the south.

Why change runways? Is it due to wind direction? Both days were pretty windy though I’ve never bothered to check direction. Is that it? Sorry for the noob question :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

mikemac2 wrote: »
    I have a Heathrow question. I stayed recently in an airport hotel just north of the airport on a preimeter road. The local bus was free, score :) It was really close, if you stood outside reception you could see and hear the planes taking off every minute or so. I knew Heathrow is super busy but I never realized it was that busy!

The next day I still see the takeoffs but they are using the runway further to the south.

Why change runways? Is it due to wind direction? Both days were pretty windy though I’ve never bothered to check direction. Is that it? Sorry for the noob question :o

They use one for take off and one for landing and swap over at 2pm, so if 27R (northern runway) is being used for landings in the morning, 27L will be the landing runway in the evening. Going the other direction, 9L isn’t used for takeoff so they don’t swap over the 9’s should they be in use although both are used for landing between 6am and 8am.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

The guys above have explained that they change runways during the day, the reason is to reduce the noise impact on various parts of the surrounding areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Guys before I start off with Ryanair I'd like to know my entitlements.

Sunday 10th December I got caught at Stansted as my flight to Dublin was cancelled due to snow. To me, that means no compensation but the airline must help you still. The problem was that the sheer number of flights cancelled that day meant none of that could really happen. The queue for rebooking flights I estimated at five hours long and went all the way from one end of the terminal to the other and back again. Ryanair were announcing that people should rebook via the website due to this queue. They held people airside and announced one flight cancelled every 30 minutes due to the sheer volume of people landside. It was pandemonium.

Problem: I couldn't rebook as the wi-fi and mobile services at Stansted collapsed due to everyone doing the same.

I got on the train back into London but no cancellation thing from Ryanair came through until very late that evening. In the meantime, I booked my own flight back to Dublin from Gatwick with Aer Lingus and booked my own accommodation at a Premier Inn in Croydon. I got home 24 hours late.

What am I entitled to here? I just want to check before I query. The Ryanair "rebook or refund" text came in but no mention of the phonecall I know I'm entitled to and no mention of food or subsistence vouchers which I think a weather related cancellation still entitles you to.

My understanding is that Ryanair will NOT pay for my self booked flights or accommodation or travel to the new airport, that must be through travel insurance. Am I right in this? Are people reasonably expected to wait in a five hour queue to rebook flights?

What should I claim from Ryanair and what should I claim from the travel insurance? I was out of pocket by about €150 in the end (not bad for a hotel/flight at short notice, I'm glad I know London well) so its not the end of the world but I'd like to know as I'll try to get back whatever I can. Thanks!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Don’t RY charge every passenger €2.50 EU 261 levy on every flight?

They are not responsible for the weather but if they charge the fee should they not be responsible for the claim ( or part of it)

According to this : snacks and drinks , 2 telephone calls (though they will want receipts)

https://www.flightright.com/your-rights/bad-weather

Maybe input flight number and see what comes up:

https://www.bottonline.co.uk/flight-delay-compensation/claim-guides/flight-compensation-bad-weather

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

Anyone ever used a website called OneTwoTrip.com to book flight?

Got an excellent price on Virgin Upper Class flights through them via Skyscanner. The flights on the airline's website cost more than twice the price and that's ex London instead of Ex Dublin. And the deal includes BA Business Class flights to Heathrow. Because of the price difference I am just a little bit nervous about making the booking. The flights are only available on this website and not on the likes of Expedia or E Bookers which I know of.

Has anybody booked with them or a similar company? Are there any downsides to booking this way instead of through the airline?

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Conor84 wrote: »
    Anyone ever used a website called OneTwoTrip.com to book flight?

Got an excellent price on Virgin Upper Class flights through them via Skyscanner. The flights on the airline's website cost more than twice the price and that's ex London instead of Ex Dublin. And the deal includes BA Business Class flights to Heathrow. Because of the price difference I am just a little bit nervous about making the booking. The flights are only available on this website and not on the likes of Expedia or E Bookers which I know of.

Has anybody booked with them or a similar company? Are there any downsides to booking this way instead of through the airline?

Thanks in advance.

Virgin Atlantic have an ex Dublin sale in Upper class at the moment so you may be ok
    Eg DUB LAX on several dates is only €1300 with the Dub Lhr sector booking into club Europe on BA
    It’s incredible value
    The virgin clubhouse in Heathrow and Lax ,fully flat bed seats and that quirky bar on the plane (business class pax only ;) )
    Check your dates on google flights with the setting on business class

The downside is the flights won't exist at that price. You can book and then get an email in a few hours saying the price has changed, please pony up the rest.

I would always check to see if Expedia is anywhere in the ball park before booking as it is likely to be a glitch.
    Oh it’s absolutely not a glitch
    It’s all over the flyer blogs at the moment
    The fare is bookable by calling virgin or on line with them which is what I’d suggest the Op does

https://www.headforpoints.com/2017/12/23/virgin-atlantic-drops-chauffeur-on-cheap-business-class-tickets/

I find that VA won't accept online bookings and force you to call them.

Ah ,I’ve only ever used ebookers for them
    Important point is it’s a valid fare and the OP can ring them instead of going with a lesser known site

Edited to add this fare would include galleries club access on the return Lhr Dub T5 leg :D

Oh it’s absolutely not a glitch
    It’s all over the flyer blogs at the moment
    The fare is bookable by calling virgin or on line with them which is what I’d suggest the Op does

https://www.headforpoints.com/2017/12/23/virgin-atlantic-drops-chauffeur-on-cheap-business-class-tickets/

Thanks for the link = put my mind at rest and have booked it.

Thought I was going to be disappointed. Had two sets of dates in mind and when I went to book the first the fare was gone but the second set were fine and I booked. Went on to the Virgin website, found my booking and was able to reserve seats - managed to get A seats which they say are the better ones.

It cost €1350 for BA Club Europe to Heathrow and Upper Class to San Francisco and back which is pretty awesome I think. Aer Lingus on the same days is €800 economy and €3500 Business Class. Virgin Upper Class seems pretty good and have got 4 hours in Heathrow to enjoy the Clubhouse. Sweet Deal.

Never thought I would be able to afford it but last time I was in USA did that auction upgrade on Aer Lingus and got it - one way only though. Feel lucky now to be able to do it return and on the Dreamliner!

Thanks for the link = put my mind at rest and have booked it.

Thought I was going to be disappointed. Had two sets of dates in mind and when I went to book the first the fare was gone but the second set were fine and I booked. Went on to the Virgin website, found my booking and was able to reserve seats - managed to get A seats which they say are the better ones.

It cost €1350 for BA Club Europe to Heathrow and Upper Class to San Francisco and back which is pretty awesome I think. Aer Lingus on the same days is €800 economy and €3500 Business Class. Virgin Upper Class seems pretty good and have got 4 hours in Heathrow to enjoy the Clubhouse. Sweet Deal.

Never thought I would be able to afford it but last time I was in USA did that auction upgrade on Aer Lingus and got it - one way only though. Feel lucky now to be able to do it return and on the Dreamliner!

Great stuff,Enjoy,it will be a class experience literally!
    Do get up ,as comfy as the flat seat is and have a few cocktails at the bar :D
    Get a free hair cut,free fine dining and all the booze you can sink in the virgin clubhouses pre flight

In Dublin you’ll have access to the DAA lounge in T1 ,rather underwhelming in comparison but it does have decent booze including Guinness on tap

• Advertisement

Once you can see the booking on the VA website you have nothing to worry about.

Think he booked it there on VS
    It’s a legit fare but much easier to manage online when booked on their own website
    (Its VS for short btw as VA is virgin Australia :D)

Great stuff,Enjoy,it will be a class experience literally!
    Do get up ,as comfy as the flat seat is and have a few cocktails at the bar :D
    Get a free hair cut,free fine dining and all the booze you can sink in the virgin clubhouses pre flight

In Dublin you’ll have access to the DAA lounge in T1 ,rather underwhelming in comparison but it does have decent booze including Guinness on tap

Plan to enjoy the Clubhouse for sure - sounds great. I have 4.5 hours at LHR so plenty of time to eat, drink and whatever else happens there. The flight to LHR is at 0845 so I might stay of the booze .... well until I get on that flight.:p Can't imagine there being a bar on a plane.

I did book through that original website in the end but like I said my booking was on the Virgin website straight away.

As you seem to know a good bit about this would you have any recommendations for the actual seat selection? There is lots of available seats. I have selected seats but can change them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Been at the ethihad bar before. It’s a little underwhelming as there’s no dedicated person to serve you and you’ve to flag an attendant whilst they’re rushing from galley to the business/first cabin. Might be different if there’s a dedicated bar person.

Still being able to sit at a bar at 40,000ft whilst sending selfies to the family is a pretty great experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

I’ve spent time at the bar on the Emirates A380...it’s great craic

As you seem to know a good bit about this would you have any recommendations for the actual seat selection? There is lots of available seats. I have selected seats but can change them.

Are you on your own or with someone else?
    Go for Row A preferably 1A but maybe back to 4 A as the middle front might have a baby
    Furthest from the bar
    Near the galley but private

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Guys before I start off with Ryanair I'd like to know my entitlements.

Sunday 10th December I got caught at Stansted as my flight to Dublin was cancelled due to snow. To me, that means no compensation but the airline must help you still. The problem was that the sheer number of flights cancelled that day meant none of that could really happen. The queue for rebooking flights I estimated at five hours long and went all the way from one end of the terminal to the other and back again. Ryanair were announcing that people should rebook via the website due to this queue. They held people airside and announced one flight cancelled every 30 minutes due to the sheer volume of people landside. It was pandemonium.

Problem: I couldn't rebook as the wi-fi and mobile services at Stansted collapsed due to everyone doing the same.

I got on the train back into London but no cancellation thing from Ryanair came through until very late that evening. In the meantime, I booked my own flight back to Dublin from Gatwick with Aer Lingus and booked my own accommodation at a Premier Inn in Croydon. I got home 24 hours late.

What am I entitled to here? I just want to check before I query. The Ryanair "rebook or refund" text came in but no mention of the phonecall I know I'm entitled to and no mention of food or subsistence vouchers which I think a weather related cancellation still entitles you to.

My understanding is that Ryanair will NOT pay for my self booked flights or accommodation or travel to the new airport, that must be through travel insurance. Am I right in this? Are people reasonably expected to wait in a five hour queue to rebook flights?

What should I claim from Ryanair and what should I claim from the travel insurance? I was out of pocket by about €150 in the end (not bad for a hotel/flight at short notice, I'm glad I know London well) so its not the end of the world but I'd like to know as I'll try to get back whatever I can. Thanks!

For what its worth Ryanair have refused to refund anything apart from the flight cost, stating I could have flown with them from Stansted. Not to mention that the airport was closed and that I checked the app, that doesn't seem to matter.

No mention of food/drink/anything, just a no.

Is it worth (really) chasing them up for this, or would going via travel insurance just be easier?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Can you bring Yogurt and fruit through security at DA.
    I want to bring a couple petit filous's for the kids as its a long travel and the kids airplane food with Qatar looks like a lot of snacks and possibly a omelette and i can see the kids not eating it.
    I'll give them a good feed in the Airport before departing and again in Doha if needed so just really looking for something to do them for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

Can you bring Yogurt and fruit through security at DA.

Yes as long as the containers are not more than 100ml and are packed a a clear sandwich bag. There's no restrictions on non-liquid foods.

Advertisement