Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 d201

Thinking of claiming compensation for a 5 hr delay from Aer Lingus Regional. The reason they eventually gave for the delay was a bird strike which sounded like bullsh1t.

I've read elsewhere that a bird strike is deemed out of the airlines control in much the same way bad weather is.
    Has anybody successfully made a claim when the delay was caused by a bird strike or am I wasting my time trying?

Thx in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mossyman

My wife and I were returning to Calgary in Canada from Dublin on Tuesday and connecting through JFK. The journey was booked on Expedia with the flight to JFK with Delta and the flight from JFK to Calgary with Westjet. All the one reservation.

The flight from JFK to Calgary with Westjet was cancelled and we were put on a flight the following morning (Wednesday), resulting in a 13 hour delay from when we were meant to initially fly with Westjet. We were put up in a hotel but told we had to pay for transfers and our meals. The excuse that Westjet gave was weather but we flew into JFK a few hours before and lots of flights from the east were arriving in Calgary. I call BS on that one.

I'm just wondering if we are entitled to compensation under the EU rules since our journey began in Dublin? I suspect not but its worth asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

Hi there.
    I just have a question about the availability of breakfast at Dublin airport? flight is at 7 am so boarding probably 6.30.will I be able to buy myself a breakfast there before 6am?
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Definitely, without doubt. Several places to get breakfast.

What terminal are you flying from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

howyanow wrote: »
    Hi there.
    I just have a question about the availability of breakfast at Dublin airport? flight is at 7 am so boarding probably 6.30.will I be able to buy myself a breakfast there before 6am?
    Thanks in advance

Have a look on the airport website-it lists the restaurants and times but the main one opens from 4am anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Terrible variation in the standard of breakfast offerings available. I've found the better ones are not airside.

Steer well clear of 'Soho' in Terminal One airside - utterly disgusting, overpriced slop eventually served to you by the sloths from ignoramusland. Can't understand why they don't let a local smallscale 'caff' type owner run a place there instead of that Soho crowd.

Everything over priced of course, air or land side.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

The omelette hatch in Marquette plus a Butlers coffee is heaven relative to standard airport fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

The omelette hatch in Marquette plus a Butlers coffee is heaven relative to standard airport fare.

It might very well be, but the layout of the restaurant is total chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Mossyman wrote: »
    My wife and I were returning to Calgary in Canada from Dublin on Tuesday and connecting through JFK. ..........

I'm just wondering if we are entitled to compensation under the EU rules since our journey began in Dublin? I suspect not but its worth asking.

Why not try one of those ambulance chasers and see what comes up?

This one of many

Possibly not due as the JFK leg did not originate in EU

https://www.airhelp.com/en-gb/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAnOzSBRDGARIsAL-mUB2GP_ZBhvoVAtK6SmcRIKpa9h2dx7Xlr-G8VEtUD-Wuwac4h8tN7p8aAhwfEALw_wcB

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

If it's an EU airline (which I doubt) you're covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I believe no.

BOI Business Gold gives you AerClub Silver equivalent access but you need to meet their requirements to be a business. 120 euro fee a year.

If you're loaded you can possibly get an Amex International card via Amex UK; this is accepted at the DAA lounges. There is no standard application process anymore

Diners seems to still offer cards here but the site says its 15 sterling a go for lounge access now and seeing as its the DAA lounges you can probably get it for that price anyway.

Its taken years for there to be a card you can get any airmiles on (Avios on BOI, via running them through Supervalu) so we may get something like this in a few decades!

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭useless

AIB have a Corporate Visa card that gives you a PriorityPass as part of the 200€ annual fee. Aimed at businesses but I’m pretty sure an individual could apply for one. Years ago I had the precursor to this product,an AIB visa that earned Gold Circle points albeit at a rubbish rate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Curious if that's €200 ex VAT as it's a business product... It's less than "priority pass" membership on its own though.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭WildWater

Can anyone tell me how you get your ticket or reservation number for your airport transfer when you book it through Ryanair?

Flying to Stansted and I booked coach transfer. (I thought it would be easier to do it all in the app. Not so sure now!) Payment is coming up on 'my itinerary' but I have no communication with respect to a ticket or reservation number.

Do RA just take your money any run or can I expect a troupe of dancing girls to make their way down the aisle with my ticket:D

(I can't seem to find an answer on their website.)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

WildWater wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how you get your ticket or reservation number for your airport transfer when you book it through Ryanair?

Flying to Stansted and I booked coach transfer. (I thought it would be easier to do it all in the app. Not so sure now!) Payment is coming up on 'my itinerary' but I have no communication with respect to a ticket or reservation number.

Do RA just take your money any run or can I expect a troupe of dancing girls to make their way down the aisle with my ticket:D

(I can't seem to find an answer on their website.)

Did they maybe send you a separate booking email for the coach company?
    Maybe it went to spam ?

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭WildWater

Locker10a wrote: »
    Did they maybe send you a separate booking email for the coach company?
    Maybe it went to spam ?

Got it. Thanks.

Pity, I was rather looking forward to the troupe of dancing girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

BigMoose wrote: »
    Curious if that's €200 ex VAT as it's a business product... It's less than "priority pass" membership on its own though.

It’s a credit card management fee,a banking fee
    There is no vat on banking fees ,they are exempt
    So €200 total

https://www.revenue.ie/en/vat/vat-rates/search-vat-rates/B/bank-charges-financial-services-.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭99 Bortles of Beer

I have a Ryanair flight from Stansted - Dublin return this weekend, have had it booked for a couple of weeks now.

I dislocated my kneecap earlier this week and am on crutches for the next couple of weeks. Its my first time on crutches, and I'm terrible on them. Think Lee Evans from There's Something About Mary and you're not far off. If I opt for airport assistance, how does it work exactly? I'm particularly curious about the metal detectors, how do I manage to pass through these?

Also, Id already reserved a seat at the very front (2F, window seat) but I know passengers in these rows aren't allowed have luggage under the seat in front of them (as there is no seat in front). Will my crutches have to be put in the overhead?

Thanks for any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I have a Ryanair flight from Stansted - Dublin return this weekend, have had it booked for a couple of weeks now.

I dislocated my kneecap earlier this week and am on crutches for the next couple of weeks. Its my first time on crutches, and I'm terrible on them. Think Lee Evans from There's Something About Mary and you're not far off. If I opt for airport assistance, how does it work exactly? I'm particularly curious about the metal detectors, how do I manage to pass through these?
    Not sure what level of airport assistance (if any) Ryanair will provide. You can book airport assistance with the airport authority in each case, but you'll have to pay for it. They'll just pop you in a wheelchair and get you to the gate. They'll bring your crutches. They'll handle all the security, etc, procedures for you. You get to skip all the queues. You just sit there and feel important.
    Also, Id already reserved a seat at the very front (2F, window seat) but I know passengers in these rows aren't allowed have luggage under the seat in front of them (as there is no seat in front). Will my crutches have to be put in the overhead?
    Even if there were a seat in front of you, there wouldn't be room to stash crutches under it. Or in the overhead. Once you're seated they'll take your crutches and stow them at the back or front of the cabin; you'll get them back on landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

It’s funny the way people just make up stuff based on their prejudice of an airline. There’s no chsrge for airport assistance and it is arranged with the airline.

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/Special-assistance#0-5

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Peregrinus wrote: »
    You can book airport assistance with the airport authority in each case, but you'll have to pay for it.
    How much did you have to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Due to a schedule change, I have an early flight out of Heathrow so had to change the connecting flight from Dublin to the night before and stay in an airport hotel. Both flights are on the one ticket. Anyone know if it would be possible to check my bags all the way through or would it be a problem as it would involve holding them overnight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Due to a schedule change, I have an early flight out of Heathrow so had to change the connecting flight from Dublin to the night before and stay in an airport hotel. Both flights are on the one ticket. Anyone know if it would be possible to check my bags all the way through or would it be a problem as it would involve holding them overnight?

Aer Lingus allow 'night before bag check' so if you are with them it should be doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Tenger wrote: »
    Aer Lingus allow 'night before bag check' so if you are with them it should be doable.

Just make sure you are there before 8pm to do it. I missed it by about 10min once - very annoying carting my bags from the hotel, only to have to take them back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I feel like I should know the answer to this, but don't and not sure how/where to google it!

If I'm travelling outside the EU I can buy actual, properly cheap duty free booze.

But if I've a stop within the EU (eg DUB/LGW/USA) do I buy my duty free in Dublin or London? Or does it matter?

My preference would be in Dublin as I want Irish gin, but does the stop in London bugger that up? (I'm on a through ticket)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

You can use your duty free allowance in Dublin if your final destination is outside the EU. They will look for your boarding card for your final destination so am not sure if it would work if you were on separate bookings or had no boarding card.

I've done this for buying cigarettes but am not sure if there may be an issue with the whole liguid limitations going through security. Might be some disregard over those rules if it is still in duty free seal or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Conor84 wrote: »
    You can use your duty free allowance in Dublin if your final destination is outside the EU. They will look for your boarding card for your final destination so am not sure if it would work if you were on separate bookings or had no boarding card.

I've done this for buying cigarettes but am not sure if there may be an issue with the whole liguid limitations going through security. Might be some disregard over those rules if it is still in duty free seal or something?
    Depends on where you're travelling to and on the policy of the airline you are flying with. Emirates, for example, won't let you bring duty free into the cabin; they'll take it from you at the boarding gate and it will travel as checked baggage, so you'll get it back at your destination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Depends on where you're travelling to and on the policy of the airline you are flying with. Emirates, for example, won't let you bring duty free into the cabin; they'll take it from you at the boarding gate and it will travel as checked baggage, so you'll get it back at your destination.

Travelling to Antigua, with Virgin. Don't give a monkeys how/where the booze travels, I want it for over there!

I got stung badly coming back from Argentina a few years ago via Madrid - they took all our bottles (lots of expensive Clarins stuff plus some expensive booze) purchased in duty free over there from us unless we went out and checked them in as hold luggage, but time was far too tight for that.

So just trying to avoid that scenario again! Not sure if we'll have the time or opportunity to buy duty free in LGW (do you even pass through duty free shops when just transiting?)

Advertisement