Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Peregrinus wrote: »
    The rule depends on the policy of the airline you're flying with. HeidiHeidi should check directly with Virgin.

Thank you! Ic wasn't sure if it was down to country/ airport/ airline rules

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Depends on where you're travelling to and on the policy of the airline you are flying with. Emirates, for example, won't let you bring duty free into the cabin; they'll take it from you at the boarding gate and it will travel as checked baggage, so you'll get it back at your destination.

I buy duty free and fly with Emirates all the time and have never had it taken off me. I buy Irish whisky in Dublin and bring it to a colleague in Malaysia. It gets scanned in Dubai security, even when I've shoved it in my rucksack I've never had it queried.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

BigMoose wrote: »
    I buy duty free and fly with Emirates all the time and have never had it taken off me. I buy Irish whisky in Dublin and bring it to a colleague in Malaysia. It gets scanned in Dubai security, even when I've shoved it in my rucksack I've never had it queried.
    Interesting. When I buy duty free while in transit in Dubai, it always gets taken off me at the gate when I am boarding my onward flight (with Emirates) and goes as checked luggage.

I've never bought any in Dubai, only ever in Dublin - if that makes a difference. I've carried it separately clearly as duty free and shoved it in my other bag, neither seems to phase the security (if they even notice it) or the gate staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I think it depends on where you're going. I connected through Dubai to Auckland via Brisbane and it was checked in. On the Dubai stop on the way home I was able to bring it on board. Not sure if it's an Australia or NZ thing?

• Advertisement

Caranica wrote: »
    I think it depends on where you're going. I connected through Dubai to Auckland via Brisbane and it was checked in. On the Dubai stop on the way home I was able to bring it on board. Not sure if it's an Australia or NZ thing?
    I was going to Dublin!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Travelling to Antigua, with Virgin. Don't give a monkeys how/where the booze travels, I want it for over there!
    So just trying to avoid that scenario again! Not sure if we'll have the time or opportunity to buy duty free in LGW (do you even pass through duty free shops when just transiting?)
    You will have to buy it in Gatwick. I’m flew to the US with Aer Lingus/Virgin thru LGW a couple of months ago. You change terminals so get screened before you get to departures in LGW. I had a 2 hour layover so had time to pop into the shops before boarding.

Some airports allow you to travel with Duty Free liquids once they are in a security sealed clear plastic
    bag with the receipt inside the bag. It proves it hasn’t been tampered with.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Depends on where you're travelling to and on the policy of the airline you are flying with. Emirates, for example, won't let you bring duty free into the cabin; they'll take it from you at the boarding gate and it will travel as checked baggage, so you'll get it back at your destination.

Presumably that's only if they see it? Surely you can whack your duty free into your cabin bag and they're none the wiser.

The rule depends on the policy of the airline you're flying with. HeidiHeidi should check directly with Virgin.

Would it not depend on the airport you're transiting through rather than the airline? The airline doesn't operate the security process.

Fwiw I've brought duty free alcohol through Heathrow regularly in both directions and as long as it's in one of the sealed bags with receipt inside it has been fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    Would it not depend on the airport you're transiting through rather than the airline? .

This.

It's the airport that matters.

(And I've never been asked to put duty free in the hold in dozens of trips with Emirates.)

@HeidiHeidi - you'll be fine buying in Dublin - the bottle will be sealed in a bag with the receipt and will be checked at security in Gatwick.

• Advertisement

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    Presumably that's only if they see it? Surely you can whack your duty free into your cabin bag and they're none the wiser.
    They search the cabin baggage at the gate where you board the second leg.

They search the cabin baggage at the gate where you board the second leg.

Emirates? I've never had a bag searched at the gate. That said, I did once see tables at the gate where they seemed to be searching some and took the bottle of water I took from the lounge off me - but only ever seen that once. Security didn't either notice or care about the bottle of whisky I'd shoved in my bag. Think the tables for searching was the only time I went to Sydney, never seen it on a leg to DUB.

BigMoose wrote: »
    Emirates? I've never had a bag searched at the gate. That said, I did once see tables at the gate where they seemed to be searching some and took the bottle of water I took from the lounge off me - but only ever seen that once. Security didn't either notice or care about the bottle of whisky I'd shoved in my bag. Think the tables for searching was the only time I went to Sydney, never seen it on a leg to DUB.
    Happens to me every time. And I fly the route quite a bit.

(Maybe I have a terrorist air about me. :()

Just read on the flyertalk forum that they do the bag screening for all Australia flights. I do a good few trips a year mostly DUB-KUL and only seen the bag search on that one flight into Sydney... Maybe you should ask to see your EK notes... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Hi,

Is it possible to fill out the API (advance passenger information) for travelling to Spain when in the airport using an Aer Lingus self check in kiosk?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Anyone know what plane is on EI-782 today? I’d like to be able to show my step son where it is at the moment on Flight Radar

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Anyone know what plane is on EI-782 today? I’d like to be able to show my step son where it is at the moment on Flight Radar

For future reference you can just type "Track EI782" into google

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ei782

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Riskymove wrote: »
    For future reference you can just type "Track EI782" into google

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ei782

That wouldn't help, as the OP wanted to know where the plane was at that moment, that would be operating the flight to Las Palmas later.

I tried looking back to see a pattern but couldn't find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

JCX BXC wrote: »
    That wouldn't help, as the OP wanted to know where the plane was at that moment, that would be operating the flight to Las Palmas later.

oh right he wanted to track the plane that would be EI782 later that day...gotcha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

JCX has it right, I was hoping to show the lad where she was when we were leaving the house. We were on EI782 on Tuesday so wanted to keep him in the loop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

JCX has it right, I was hoping to show the lad where she was when we were leaving the house. We were on EI782 on Tuesday so wanted to keep him in the loop.

Presumably,it’s the plane that went out to Gran Canaria so just track that flight number and see what it’s Reg is?
    The free plane finder app will do that

Presumably,it’s the plane that went out to Gran Canaria so just track that flight number and see what it’s Reg is?
    The free plane finder app will do that

They wanted to know before the flight occurred. I can tell them now that EI-DES operated the flight and it flew from Dublin to Rome and back earlier in the day, however that's not much use at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Random question about travelling on two separate tickets. I've a trip to Toronto and Boston, but because of the way things worked out I had to book Dublin - Boston separate to Boston - Toronto. I'm flying on the one airline, will they be able to check my bag the whole way to Toronto, or will I need to pick up in Boston and check in again there?

Random question about travelling on two separate tickets. I've a trip to Toronto and Boston, but because of the way things worked out I had to book Dublin - Boston separate to Boston - Toronto. I'm flying on the one airline, will they be able to check my bag the whole way to Toronto, or will I need to pick up in Boston and check in again there?

You'll have to re check your bag in Boston. No way around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

JCX BXC is likely correct... However, you mentioned its the same airline so when checking in in Dublin ask if you can also check in for the Toronto leg. If they can do it, then they'll check the bags trough. A long shot but from experience, its possible. Your flying Delta yes?

Ask at the desk, it depends on what access to they system they have. Sometimes they can access your second booking and check you in and attach your baggage reference to the second leg. It also depends on timing - if the second leg is outside a certain time they may not be able to check you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Can you bring a laptop docking station and power adapter on a flight as carry on luggage ? I wont need it during the flight but will need it on the ground :)

Also will I need some sort of anti static bag for the power adapter, and is there any adapter size voltage restrictions,not sure how strict they are on these type of items ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If it fits in your allocated baggage, yes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Beware, both airlines gate-check cabin bags, especially Ryanair, if you’re not willing to pay for priority boarding you will have to check this equipment into the hold. Unless you can get it into a small laptop size bag that will go under your seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

We were able to do it with KLM from Cork, 24 hours was the timescale.

Advertisement