Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭tmh106

Locker10a wrote: »
    Similar to Ryanair and every other airline, they check in a lot of the hand luggage either at the check in desk or at the gate during boarding, if you’re worried about your bag being scrutinised for size you could volunteer it to be checked in, ground staff usually appreciate this I find as it alleviates the volume of bags being brought into the limited for space cabin lockers.

Thanks Locker 10a. I'm not bothered if I have to check it into the hold. My concern is that they would refuse to accept it as carry-on and force me to pay for it as a checked bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

tmh106 wrote: »
    Thanks Locker 10a. I'm not bothered if I have to check it into the hold. My concern is that they would refuse to accept it as carry-on and force me to pay for it as a checked bag.

They would accept it, however there may be fees.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Locker10a wrote: »
    Similar to Ryanair and every other airline, they check in a lot of the hand luggage either at the check in desk or at the gate during boarding, if you’re worried about your bag being scrutinised for size you could volunteer it to be checked in, ground staff usually appreciate this I find as it alleviates the volume of bags being brought into the limited for space cabin lockers.

Provided it’s not hugely obvious that it’s too big you’ll probably be fine to volunteer it. I’ve heard people say the staff on the us side can be strict on luggage but I’ve no experience myself

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭mmg0305

I am thinking of flying to the US with Norwegian this summer (June/July timeframe). I haven't flown with them before. How strict are they on carry-on allowances? Do the stick to the limit of the baggage dimensions/weight on their website or do they allow the kind of latitude that most other airlines seem to allow?

I've gone Dublin-Stewart twice and both times nobody in Dublin seemed to pay any attention to carry-on but on the way back they were weighing everything. Dunno about measurements but if it was more than 10k it was gonna cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TPMP

Hi lads,

I'm going to America in a couple of weeks with Delta and I've just noticed on my booking that there's a missing letter on one of my middle names. Will this be an issue as it's not exactly what appears on my passport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

I'm flying to Carcassonne with Ryanair in 2 weeks time and I have a question I hope someone might be able to help with please. Are items such as shampoo, toothpaste and deodorants etc allowed in checked in baggage?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

I'm flying to Carcassonne with Ryanair in 2 weeks time and I have a question I hope someone might be able to help with please. Are items such as shampoo, toothpaste and deodorants etc allowed in checked in baggage?

TIA

Yes, there's no restrictions on liquids for checked baggage. You could fill a whole bag with liquids if you wanted. There's a lot less restrictions on what you can bring in your checked bags. Even knives are allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

TPMP wrote: »
    Hi lads,

I'm going to America in a couple of weeks with Delta and I've just noticed on my booking that there's a missing letter on one of my middle names. Will this be an issue as it's not exactly what appears on my passport?

Shouldn’t be no, ive one of those names that’s famously abbreviated (Steve/Stephen) and the mrs booked a flight to the US using my short name and nothing was said. You can always call DL if want peace of mind, but it’s USCBP who check that not DL so there isn’t much the airline can do other than offer to amend the name

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TPMP

Shouldn’t be no, ive one of those names that’s famously abbreviated (Steve/Stephen) and the mrs booked a flight to the US using my short name and nothing was said. You can always call DL if want peace of mind, but it’s USCBP who check that not DL so there isn’t much the airline can do other than offer to amend the name

Thanks, I came across a Tripadvisor thread on this. Apparently this is common with Delta bookings and doesn't appear to be an issue. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Hello,

Has anyone travelled via Helsinki Airport and, if so, what’s it like?

FinnAir seem to have some decent deals and the Airbus A350 looks decent also.

Many thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Hello,

Has anyone travelled via Helsinki Airport and, if so, what’s it like?

FinnAir seem to have some decent deals and the Airbus A350 looks decent also.

Many thanks.

Transit is very easy. I'm presuming you're going to Asia? Travelling from Dublin and transferring to an Asian flight you don't need to go through security. Returning you'll need to clear security but it's extremely efficient.

The A350 is very pleasant and Finnair's are pretty much brand new.

The only issue with Finnair is that they can have very tight connection times flying East-West. If your Asian departure is delayed you could be in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I know it's their problem. It's still a pain in the backside to be rerouted through Heathrow which is what happens if you miss the afternoon Dublin flight.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Probably over thinking this but sure here goes.

I'm heading to Toronto for a week next month. After I booked the flights it dawned on me, about 6 months ago I started the process of applying for a Canadian Visa as I was going to go live/work there for a year. I got about half way through the process, but then got a much better job offer here, so decided to stay put.

Do you think I'll have any issues with Canadian immigration thinking that I just couldn't have been arsed finishing off applying via the proper channels and I'm now landing to work illegally?

Should I bring along my contract or something with me showing when I signed it etc (will line up roughly with when I abandoned the visa application) or am I just after watching too many episodes of Border Security?

Cheers lads!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

moloner4 wrote: »
    You shouldn't have any issues if you got your ETA online?

Yeah got that. Just worried it'll pop up that i started the visa process and never finished it when they scan my passport!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

No harm bringing a copy of the contract. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

OT but why is the OT thread locked out?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

ED E wrote: »
    OT but why is the OT thread locked out?

That's a good question, it shouldn't be as far as I'm aware, so it's open again now. Thanks for the heads up.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

According to the Aer Lingus website, the Advantage Fare includes Fast Track through security.
    How do you avail of it in DUB T2? Do you present your boarding card and they scan that? Or do you need to print out something?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭tendjose

Hi,

I want to bring a wooden sword of 120cm length on Aerlingus. Since consulting their site it says I have to pay 10€ for each excess bag I think this is the price I will pay for bringing the sword?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

According to the Aer Lingus website, the Advantage Fare includes Fast Track through security.
    How do you avail of it in DUB T2? Do you present your boarding card and they scan that? Or do you need to print out something?

There is a seperate Fast track line, I expect yout boarding card will have na indication on it.

tendjose wrote: »
    I want to bring a wooden sword of 120cm length on Aerlingus. Since consulting their site it says I have to pay 10€ for each excess bag I think this is the price I will pay for bringing the sword?
    Better to ask EI direct . The object itself might be an issue, replica weapons are restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭tendjose

Better to ask EI direct . The object itself might be an issue, replica weapons are restricted.

I called them and they didn't mention anything about replica weapons. They said I could just attach it to my existing checked bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Tenger wrote: »
    There is a seperate Fast track line, I expect yout boarding card will have na indication on it.

Thanks for the reply Tenger. I couldn't see anything on my boarding pass to indicate that I could use Fast Track.

It didn't matter anyway as Fast Track wasn't open when I was going through security in T2 last Sunday afternoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭mikemac2

mikemac2 wrote: »
    I want to bring my 27” iMac from Dublin to Luxembourg. I’ve emigrated there

I really don’t fancy putting it in the hold. Even if I wrapped in bubble wrap and a blanket it’s still very fragile. I can’t bring as carryon as it’s too big

I am willing to buy a second seat. I’ve seen people do this with guitars.

My computer would easily fit in a seat. Would Ryanair allow this maybe? Thanks :)

I'm going to just update this in case anyone else has the same question

I booked two seats and paid the seat fee so side by side. All done several weeks in advance and very affordable.

My second seat is first name "EXTRA" and second name "ITEM SEAT". Their website states this so I followed their rules

I printed off my chat with the ryanair customer staff who gave me the ok just in case they were overruled by the gate staff. I arrived with my 27" iMac wrapped in bubble wrap and got a few comments from passengers was I sneaking it on but just banter :)

Stressing for nothing, the Ryanair gate staff or boarding the plane didn't look twice at me. Of course I got both boarding passes scanned but I had to tell them I had a second boarding pass to scan, not them stopping and questioning me. I got the impression they see this every shift.

Such a size of a screen won't fit in a seat but no problem to put on the floor and it was well wrapped in bubble wrap

All very stress free, thanks Ryanair!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Do Aer Lingus usually send out a text message these days saying that due to high numbers flying with them cabin baggage will be taken at the boarding gate? Doesn't really make much sense as their flights are often full, and it doesn't specify your flight, it's a generic message.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Hurrache wrote: »
    Do Aer Lingus usually send out a text message these days saying that due to high numbers flying with them cabin baggage will be taken at the boarding gate? Doesn't really make much sense as their flights are often full, and it doesn't specify your flight, it's a generic message.

Yes, it appears to be fairly standard procedure now adays from EI, received one on Monday last. Arrived into T2 to drop the cabin bag as per text, only to find the que for the desk a mile long. Ended up bringing it to the aircraft as per usual where it was taken and put in the hold at the airbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Yes, it appears to be fairly standard procedure now adays from EI, received one on Monday last. Arrived into T2 to drop the cabin bag as per text, only to find the que for the desk a mile long. Ended up bringing it to the aircraft as per usual where it was taken and put in the hold at the airbridge.

Did the text say cabin bags would be checked for the hold at the boarding gate? So bringing it to the aicraft would be acting “as per text”, rather than going to a check-in desk to check it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

faoiarvok wrote: »
    Pat Dunne wrote: »

Did the text say cabin bags would be checked for the hold at the boarding gate? So bringing it to the aicraft would be acting “as per text”, rather than going to a check-in desk to check it.
    This morning in Gatwick I approached the actual check in desk about this as there was no que, she took my cabin bag for free there and then, which I always appreciate as it makes security and the whole airport experience so much easier especially as security was very busy and crowded this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Does anyone know if Ryanair are letting customers drop bags the night before in Dublin when on an early? We did this last year and it was a godsend when traveling with young kids.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Advertisement