Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭siobhan08

Would appreciate any give you guys can give.

I have a family member who was due to fly to Dublin from the UK today. 92 minutes before the scheduled departure time they received a text stating that their flight was cancelled for operational reasons. They have been rebooked on another flight with a 5.5-hour delay.

I'm wondering what compensation they would be entitled to?

From my interpretation of the info in this link http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/air_travel/compensation_for_overbooked_and_delayed_flights.html

They should be entitled to something.

Can anybody confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Operational Reasons should be €250 per passenger; however sometimes you will get given a further explanation that would actually be a valid excuse to not pay.

L1011 wrote: »
    Operational Reasons should be €250 per passenger; however sometimes you will get given a further explanation that would actually be a valid excuse to not pay.

Would this not apply?

If the reason for the original flight being cancelled is covered which it probably is. Only weather and strikes are really get outs for the airline - and even then only if they affect that flight specifically, knock-on isn't a get out

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

siobhan08 wrote: »

I have a family member who was due to fly to Dublin from the UK today. 92 minutes before the scheduled departure time they received a text stating that their flight was cancelled for operational reasons. They have been rebooked on another flight with a 5.5-hour delay.

Are you referring to the plane being delayed 5.5 hours or your family member due to the rebooking time ?

• Advertisement

Are you referring to the plane being delayed 5.5 hours or your family member due to the rebooking time ?

My family member was delayed what turned out to be 6 hours. They were rebooked onto another flight that departed 6 hours after their original flight was supposed to take off

My family member was delayed what turned out to be 6 hours. They were rebooked onto another flight that departed 6 hours after their original flight was supposed to take off

I don't think thats considered a "long flight delay".. their original flight was delayed 92mins, for compensation the delay must be greater than 2 hours,
    they opted for re-routing as close as possible to the original departure time so entitled to care and assistance whilst waiting on the alternative flight.
    https://www.flightrights.ie/passenger-rights/cancellations.19.html

I don't think thats considered a "long flight delay".. their original flight was delayed 92mins, for compensation the delay must be greater than 2 hours,
    they opted for re-routing as close as possible to the original departure time so entitled to care and assistance whilst waiting on the alternative flight.

U have misread the original post.

The original flight was cancelled 92 minutes before it as due to take-off and my family member was already in the airport, had gone through security and had checked in their baggage.

I don't see how cancelling a flight on 92 minutes notice and then not being able to provide an alternative until 6 hours after their original flight is not classed as "long flight delay"

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

What you consider to be 'long' or not doesn't come into it. They arrived at their destination beyond the original intended arrival time as set out in the regulations (2/3/4or more hours) so the compensation would apply, depending on the reason for the cancellation.

The original flight was cancelled 92 minutes before it as due to take-off and my family member was already in the airport, had gone through security and had checked in their baggage.

I don't see how cancelling a flight on 92 minutes notice and then not being able to provide an alternative until 6 hours after their original flight is not classed as "long flight delay"

Sorry I thought It was 92mins after it was due to take off, so it wasn't delayed at all, flights get cancelled after check in all the time due to weather etc. I have had a flight cancelled and chose "re-routing as close as possible to the original departure time" which was two days later, therefore I should be reimbursed for my 48hour delay? As far as I'm aware airlines don't work like that unfortunately

• Advertisement

LiamaDelta wrote: »

What you consider to be 'long' or not doesn't come into it. They arrived at their destination beyond the original intended arrival time as set out in the regulations (2/3/4or more hours) so the compensation would apply, depending on the reason for the cancellation.

Its not what I consider, its what there called!

Sorry I thought It was 92mins after it was due to take off, so it wasn't delayed at all, flights get cancelled after check in all the time due to weather etc. I have had a flight cancelled and chose "re-routing as close as possible to the original departure time" which was two days later, therefore I should be reimbursed for my 48hour delay? As far as I'm aware airlines don't work like that unfortunately

If the flight was cancelled close in, you were entitled to costs and compensation unless the flight cancellation was for the dwindling number of reasons considered to be 'extraordinary circumstances'

It is considered a delay rather than a cancellation in these cases if you take a re-route.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Danielvarian1

When checking in online with ryanair they ask for passport number, nationality, and country of issue for the passport, when checking in online with Aer Lingus they do not ask any of these questions why is this?

When checking in online with ryanair they ask for passport number, nationality, and country of issue for the passport, when checking in online with Aer Lingus they do not ask any of these questions why is this?

If you are travelling between UK and Ireland, you don't need a Passport with Aer Lingus. They will accept certain other forms of ID.
    With Ryanair you need a Passport for the same flights.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Its a company ID requirement rather than an international legal requirement. You either comply or decide to travel with another airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Danielvarian1

But we are traveling from Dublin to Rome, Aer Lingus didn’t ask for this info on the online check in, but ryanair did.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

But we are traveling from Dublin to Rome, Aer Lingus didn’t ask for this info on the online check in, but ryanair did.

There's no reason other than it's Ryanair policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

There's no reason other than it's Ryanair policy.

I wonder is it a way of getting people to have passports to hand and they know they are in date etc before going to an airport and getting irate with staff who can’t do anything about it.

sillysocks wrote: »
    I wonder is it a way of getting people to have passports to hand and they know they are in date etc before going to an airport and getting irate with staff who can’t do anything about it.

Could be.

If you look at the passport thread the number of people who suddenly discover that they need a passport a few weeks before a flight and then clog up the whole system with their "emergencies" is unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

Hey guys,

Has Ryanair's baggage policy changed recently, or am I still able to bring a cabin bag and a small backpack?

• Advertisement

Duff wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Has Ryanair's baggage policy changed recently, or am I still able to bring a cabin bag and a small backpack?

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/plan-trip/flying-with-us/baggage-policy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Its 2 pronged from what I can see.
    a ) Ryanair require anyone on a non-EU passport to get their boarding pass approved and stamped before boarding, so the only way to alert people with a non EU passport to go to the booking desk before security is to go through the charade with that passport information is needed from everyone.
    b ) Spain requires advance passenger information, and Ryanair cant be bothered or to have different rules for each country or justify the extra cost to implement a more complicated website to enable information gathering from only specific countries, so they just ask for passport info from everyone rather than just for passengers to Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Duff wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Yes, it changed earlier this year back in January.
    You can bring on a cabin bag and one small piece of hand luggage if you book Priority Boarding. Otherwise cabin bag in hold just before you board the actual aircraft and one small piece of carry on luggage which must fit under the seat in front of you.

Did your family member get their compensation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

I have a medical device that cannot go in the hold, will I still be able to take a cabin bag as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

roundymac wrote: »
    I have a medical device that cannot go in the hold, will I still be able to take a cabin bag as well?
    If you pay for priority boarding you can keep your cabin bag, plus one other small bag that fits under the seat.

If you don't, it will (probably, not sure if they're implementing it 100%) be taken at the gate and put in the hold.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

roundymac wrote: »
    Can your medical equipment fit into a small under seat size bag? Like a laptop bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

moloner4 wrote: »
    Here's a new one. Went through security with 4 portable power banks in Beijing and got told only 2 are allowed through. I've travelled a good few times with a couple of power banks and never got hassle off security, anyone here get any bother with more than 2?

I did manage to get them through in the end :D.
    Don't know about power banks, but I took some compressed air cartridges for a lifejacket on flights recently where I only had hand luggage - got into an awful tangle with security in every single airport.

Not allowed at all, only allowed one, must be in the lifejacket, must be out of the lifejacket, we'll allow it but the airline won't, you can't carry it but your friend (who didn't have a lifejacket) can (:confused:) - I heard every single variation on the theme. I got them through all the airports in the end by dint of having all the regulations to show them and just digging my heels in, but there's hours of my life I'll never get back. They don't know all the regs (understandably enough) but do NOT want to be told they're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

in certain airports they do have restrictions on power banks due to the fear of thermal runaways, in Thailand, I believe that you can't have any.
    Life jackets are an interesting item, but they are actually right, the gas container is a dangerous good and should be treated as such, the airline is allowed to carry them as aircraft items, but its a pain to ship replacements.

• Advertisement

smurfjed wrote: »
    in certain airports they do have restrictions on power banks due to the fear of thermal runaways, in Thailand, I believe that you can't have any.
    Life jackets are an interesting item, but they are actually right, the gas container is a dangerous good and should be treated as such, the airline is allowed to carry them as aircraft items, but its a pain to ship replacements.

Never had an issue in Thailand, up to as recently as a couple of weeks ago, admittedly with only one power bank.

Beijing security is notoriously invasive especially with electrical items of any description.

Advertisement