Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

@killbillvol2, my wife had 2 power banks taken off her as well as a tiny multi-tool about 6 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

smurfjed wrote: »
    @killbillvol2, my wife had 2 power banks taken off her as well as a tiny multi-tool about 6 months ago.

Maybe I was just lucky, although my one power bank is small. That said, I've passed through BKK 5 times since January with no issue. I'm there at the moment. I'll investigate!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Anyone know the impact of a fare class K ticket on EI transatlantic?

It seems like it means capacity limitations.

No seat assigned yet, just curious if it actually means anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

I flew with Hainan Airlines recently and they said that power banks were not allowed to be used during the flight. I never came across this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Cheap Chinese power banks have a habit of exploding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

Folks, I'm flying DUB->MCO connecting via YYZ. I need an ESTA but do I need a Canadian visa as well?

Thanks,
    LK.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

LeperKing wrote: »
    Folks, I'm flying DUB->MCO connecting via YYZ. I need an ESTA but do I need a Canadian visa as well?

Thanks,
    LK.

Irish passport?

If so, then you don't need a visa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

LeperKing wrote: »
    G_R wrote: »
    Irish passport?

If so, then you don't need a visa

Do you not need a eTA (Canadian version of ESTA) even when transiting?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Yeah, when transiting you'll need an eTA, I needed an ESTA doing a trip DUB - BOS - YYZ

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I ended up getting split from my bags on United during the week and wonder can I get compensation for what I had to buy.

I was flying from SFO - DENVER - NEWARK. My flight got delayed and I missed my connection and was booked on a connection the next morning (around 8 hours), however when I landed, I went to the gate for a La Guardia flight and got a seat on to that - last Den - NYC flight of the day. The agent told me at that point it was likely my bags wouldn't make it.

So I arrived in NYC about 6 hours before my bags. But through a number of **** ups my bags didn't get to my airbnb till the next day. I had to buy literally one shirt, one pair of shorts, one pair of socks, one pair of boxers etc. Came to less than 100 dollars.

Is it worth claiming? Or will they say that it was up to me to get that LGA flight which I did in the knowledge my bags would not arrive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd throw the claim in anyway. You may have had to buy stuff when overnighting in DEN. However, domestic US flights have completely different rules for compensation to EU flights so I've no idea what they're obligated to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭The Wife

How do you add Ryanair boarding passes to Passbook?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Lads, just wondering how long should I give myself for an early morning Dublin to Abu Dhabi flight this week - going business class, but I cannot check in online - when I go to do it - some error comes up and says i'm required to check in at the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

You have a dedicated check-in desk plus security fast track; personally, I’d give it 90 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

All, not sure if this is the right thread but will try.
    I am travelling to San Diego next month and an option is with Aer Lingus and Alaska through Seattle. I am wondering when you land in Seattle with EI do you need to reclear security to get to the Alaska gates like you do in Chicago with United connections.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

MICKEYG wrote: »
    All, not sure if this is the right thread but will try.
    I am travelling to San Diego next month and an option is with Aer Lingus and Alaska through Seattle. I am wondering when you land in Seattle with EI do you need to reclear security to get to the Alaska gates like you do in Chicago with United connections.

I would say most probably. Alaskan are probably in a different terminal than Aer Lingus. Airport website or wiki page should list the terminals each airlines operates in/out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

I would have thought not...isn’t the point of Dublin preclearance that you effectively land in the US as a domestic flight?

I would have thought not...isn’t the point of Dublin preclearance that you effectively land in the US as a domestic flight?

You do but when transferring you may leave airside. Chicago is an example which is why I never use EI to connect with United there. I always wonder why they don't lay on an airside bus transfer for EI passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

MICKEYG wrote: »
    You do but when transferring you may leave airside. Chicago is an example which is why I never use EI to connect with United there. I always wonder why they don't lay on an airside bus transfer for EI passengers.
    There's now an airside bus in Chicago from the domestic terminals to international (it used to be BA passengers only).

Everything in Seattle is connected airside. There's no need to go through security.

steve-o wrote: »
    There's now an airside bus in Chicago from the domestic terminals to international (it used to be BA passengers only).

Everything in Seattle is connected airside. There's no need to go through security.

Is there one going the other way?
    Can EI passengers use the existing one?
    Thanks for the Seattle info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    I'm flying to Heathrow with Aerlingus and on to the States with BA, all booked through BA and I'm just wondering if I can use the Aer Lingus self service check-in and bag drop?
    I used to do this route regularly with BA and I could never use self service with Aer Lingus as it wasn't booked on their system and I'm just wondering if this has changed.
    Reason I'm asking is to figure out how much time I'll need to arrive in Advance. Flying on a Saturday morning at 9:40.
    Thanks
    jjbrien wrote: »
    Yes you can

Just to note that you can't actually do this. Self Service would only print boarding pass to the UK and Aer Lingus staff confirmed that you cannot check in through self service for a ticket bought on another airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭boccy23

Hi Guys

General question and I know there is no definitive answer per say, but here goes anyway.

I am travelling to Dubai and can take the 1:45PM or the 10:25PM Emirates flights. Which of these two flights is normally the busier?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I usually take the 10:25pm so I can enjoy the day at home before work travel and it's usually pretty full. Not done the 1:45pm for a long time so dont know how full that gets...

BigMoose wrote: »
    I usually take the 10:25pm so I can enjoy the day at home before work travel and it's usually pretty full. Not done the 1:45pm for a long time so dont know how full that gets...

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I've done both in the last 12 months and the afternoon flight was significantly busier than the night time one

Caranica wrote: »
    I've done both in the last 12 months and the afternoon flight was significantly busier than the night time one

That's what I would have thought. Overnight flight in a cramped plane. Onward is usually a larger plane, A380 for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Hi all,

Dumb question but I'm traveling to Bristol on Thursday at 6.35am with Ryanair.

I have paid for a checked bag, just wondering where I drop it off?
    I'll be a bit tight for time so also wondering if there are queues to drop bags?

I have fast track through security booked once my bag is checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Neilw wrote: »
    Hi all,

Dumb question but I'm traveling to Bristol on Thursday at 6.35am with Ryanair.

I have paid for a checked bag, just wondering where I drop it off?
    I'll be a bit tight for time so also wondering if there are queues to drop bags?

I have fast track through security booked once my bag is checked.

When I went with ryanair over the summer the check in desks are far right of Terminal 1 when you go in the main doors. The check in service is all automated so you put your bag on a scales , scan your passport, and then check it through yourself. Assuming bag isn’t overweight etc I’d say you’d have it done in minutes.
    Can’t say for definite but when we travelled it was the height of summer season and there was no queues for the machines so got straight through.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I was hoping to spend some time in Athens of Feb next year.

I've tried checking for flights from Dublin but I'm not seeing anything available.

What would be the easiest way of flying there in February?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

humberklog wrote: »
    I was hoping to spend some time in Athens of Feb next year.

I've tried checking for flights from Dublin but I'm not seeing anything available.

What would be the easiest way of flying there in February?

Ryanair fly direct Wed & Sun.

If that doesn’t suit you can connect with loads of airlines in one stop.

Advertisement