Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Persiancowboy

Hi....not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this query but would appreciate any help/advice.

Arrived into Dublin airport this afternoon on an Aer Lingus flight. We were most of the way home when my daughter realized she had left a small checked-in bag on the luggage carousel. I have rang both airport and Aer Lingus and both are referring me to the other.

Does anyone know for sure which party is reponsible for following up on this....there is a fairly new and expensive camera in the bag and I am very anxious to try retrieve it as quickly as possible. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I am going guess the Airport as the bag was presented for pick up but was not picked up. There will be a desk at Dublin Airport for baggage enquiries (as in go to the Airport). Did you put details on the bag (name, address, flight number)?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Presumably the bag has the appropriate tag on it. If that's the case it should be easy enough to identify it. Contact the airline & persist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Booking a flight from Dublin to Heathrow with Aer Lingus for my old uncle who needs help to be wheeled to the aircraft and then from the plane in Heathrow to the carousel. I added the special assistance to his booking but does that include getting the wheelchair in Heathrow, will they be waiting when the plane lands? The Heathrow website suggests that you book all wheelchair requests through the airline and I did that so I presume he will be looked after on BOTH sides of the journey? Never did this before, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭orionm_73

Yes it’s automatically done. He will be listed for assistance in both airports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Not to hijack the thread but I also have passenger assistance booked for a slightly feeble friend travelling with me from Shannon to Lanzarote in November with Aer Lingus.

I have never used this service previously so wondering if I need to remind Aer Lingus at Shannon, and does anyone have experience of amenities in Lanzarote airport for getting a passenger from the aircraft to the bus/taxi area at the airport exit.
    Thanks for any advice.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

As far as the Dublin end is concerned, it matters not what airline you are using, as long as the request for passenger assist has been correctly logged on the travel booking, there is a third party company at Dublin that provides all wheelchair assists (or more as appropriate), and having used it for the first time recently for my elderly parents, the system works well.

I checked with my parents after their return to the UK, and having the assists made the progress through the airport a lot easier and less stressful for them, in that they didn't have to worry about what gate they were going to, or how they were going to get there, as all of that is taken care of, and if the departure is from a high 100 number gate, it's a LONG way from the terminals to the final gate.

The other end was also much easier, so they are now prepared to consider flying in future, having gone off the aviation option because of the stress of things like security, which can all too often be a very unpleasant experience for an elderly person, especially if they have any problems like hearing loss, or mobility issues, the system is not really geared for them, it's designed to push huge numbers of young fit able bodied people through in the shortest possible time.

The assist made the experience more tolerable, and that alone made it worth booking for them. The only thing to watch is that you do need to arrive at the terminal with time to spare, the assist option can take more time, as it depends on staff being available to provide the service.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Nicknamed

Hi

A friend is travelling with a child from Dublin Ireland to Dallas Texas, has EU passport with ESTA clearance and hasn’t booked flights yet.

There is no direct flight between Dublin To Dallas I understand?

Flights They are looking at at are British airways with a stop over option at Heathrow or Chicago.

I have some questions if anyone can help please:

1. If stop over of Heathrow

a.where would You get US entry clearance? Would it be at Dublin airport, Heathrow airport or at Dallas?

b. Would they need to move luggage themselves at Heathrow to the next flight or British airways would move itself?

c. Is 1 hr 15 minutes enough for change of plane at Heathrow?

2. If Instrad of Heathrow they stop over at Chicago, US preclearance will be at Dublin airport. What would happen with the luggage at Chicago then? Would it be moved from one flight to the other automatically or They would have to get it from the first flight and move themselves to the next flight?

3. Is there a better flight option ?

4. Any other helpful advise.
    Many thanks for the help.

Best wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

If going through Heathrow:

There’s no preclearance. You’ll do US CBP at Dallas.
    If booked on an all BA ticket from dub lhr dfw the bags will check the whole way through.
    1hr 15 is tight for Heathrow.

Not sure for option two sorry but I’m guessing they’ll use an alliance partner for the Chicago/Dallas segment and will move the bags accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Nicknamed wrote: »

a.where would You get US entry clearance? Would it be at Dublin airport, Heathrow airport or at Dallas?

Dallas.
    b. Would they need to move luggage themselves at Heathrow to the next flight or British airways would move itself?

It would get put on the connecting flight automatically unless the tickets are bought separately (don't do this).

Probably not. Any short delay would mean a missed flight.
    2. If Instrad of Heathrow they stop over at Chicago, US preclearance will be at Dublin airport. What would happen with the luggage at Chicago then? Would it be moved from one flight to the other automatically or They would have to get it from the first flight and move themselves to the next flight?

It'll be put on the connecting flight.

AA are flying direct next summer: https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/dublin-airport-announces-new-direct-flights-to-dallas-37238330.html

Chicago is probably the best option, maybe Atlanta second though there are a lot less flights there from Dublin.

• Advertisement

Thanks So I gather best option is to fly direct to US port.
    Any suggestions for which American city to get connection from apart from Chicago?
    Want to fly out after a bit of sleep Thursday morning Thursday 25 Oct and return Saturday 3rd November.
    Thanks a lot everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Thanks So I gather best option is to fly direct to US port.
    Any suggestions for which American city to get connection from apart from Chicago?
    Want to fly out after a bit of sleep Thursday morning Thursday 25 Oct and return Saturday 3rd November.
    Thanks a lot everyone.

Depends on whats more important price or convenience.

Cheapest reasonable is American through Chicago on the way over and then Heathrow on the way back

Have a look at Google Flights

Hi

A friend is travelling with a child from Dublin Ireland to Dallas Texas, has EU passport with ESTA clearance and hasn’t booked flights yet.

There is no direct flight between Dublin To Dallas I understand?

Flights They are looking at at are British airways with a stop over option at Heathrow or Chicago.

I have some questions if anyone can help please:

4. Any other helpful advise.
    Many thanks for the help.

Best wishes.

Would 1 hour 15 min be enough for changing flight at Chicago O the airport?
    Thank you

Would 1 hour 15 min be enough for changing flight at Chicago O the airport?
    Thank you

If you're precleared yes

I've done 1hr 15 in Heathrow as well plenty of times and never had an issue. It's just up to your risk tolerance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

If you're precleared yes

I've done 1hr 15 in Heathrow as well plenty of times and never had an issue. It's just up to your risk tolerance.

I wouldn't fancy trying to get through Heathrow in 75 minutes with a child in tow.

If you're precleared yes

I wouldn't fancy trying to get through Heathrow in 75 minutes with a child in tow.

Exactly. It's down to how much risk you're willing to take. I'd do it no problem with a child but probably wouldn't with my grand parent. Also depends when next flight would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

T5 to T5 I’d risk 1hr15, but the old T1 to T5 forget it! T2 to T5 would be tight but just about doable unless the first flight was majorly late, but that would be the case with any connection around an hour where you have to redo security.

What about CLT airport ? There is a flight connection from there as well and gives 1 hr 29 minutes.
    Thanks a for your help.
    I’m not looking at Heathrow connection any more. Only looking at connections within US to avail the pre-clearance.
    Many thanks.

that sounds like a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

The name of the company at Dublin Airport which assists in these matter is OCS. The staff are very helpful and professional.
    If you have any queries you can contact them directly, here is a link to follow.
    https://www.dublinairport.com/at-the-airport/passenger-information/special-assistance/reduced-mobility

However just make sure that you have requested assistance at your inbound airport, this is done with the airline (Aer Lingus) you are travelling on, minimum of 24 hours in advance. Usually done during the online check in process.

• Advertisement

that sounds like a good option.
    Thanks So CLT Airport 1 hr 29 minutes is good for the onward connection and better than 1hr 15 min of Chicago ?

I haven't connected in ORD in over a year so can't really comment on it. CLT is a nice enough airport and should be plenty of time.

For The return one option is giving 1 hr 29 minutes at Heathrow other is giving 2 hours at Heathrow.
    Ok to risk 1 hr 29 minutes at Heathrow connection ?
    Thanks a lot. Really helpful all of you

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

For The return one option is giving 1 hr 29 minutes at Heathrow other is giving 2 hours at Heathrow.

Go for the two hours. We had an hour to get from T5 C to T5 A. Just about made it because our flight to Dublin was delayed coming in. Was in a heap when we got to the gate.

I'd go for the 1hr 29minutes personally but I hate waiting around at airports so try to have as tight connections as possible. If you miss it, you'll be put on the next available flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

I'd go for the 1hr 29minutes personally but I hate waiting around at airports so try to have as tight connections as possible. If you miss it, you'll be put on the next available flight.

With a child... I wouldn't chance it. But then I'd rather be two hours early than five minutes late :o I'm weird that way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Just booked flights with Ryanair for the first week in nov with just one small carry on included as an overnight bag, does this mean no additional personal item, like a small handbag?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

You can only take one small bag which can fit under the seat in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Connection to DUB will require a passport check by HM authorities; child is unlikely to be able to use machines so would be a tight connection as the connections rout to DUB and U.K. domestic is usually chock-a-block. An extra 30 minutes would be well advised.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Anyone having problems booking Ryanair flights today? Trying to book Tenerife in Feb but it's saying "No". Looking on twitter there's a bunch of people asking much the same about different routes/flights.

Advertisement