Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

humberklog wrote: »
    Anyone having problems booking Ryanair flights today? Trying to book Tenerife in Feb but it's saying "No". Looking on twitter there's a bunch of people asking much the same about different routes/flights.

not sure if there are still issues, took 4 attempts last night to get through to the final stage of booking, using different browsers, first 3 attempts the server wasn't returning the flights for the selected days, or was failing to move on to the next page once the options for the days was selected.

There are huge issues with their web site, and they don't give a damn, I reported some significant issues with Firefox recently, and their response was that it works on Google Chrome! I wish I could have worked with a company that is so cavalier about their web presence.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

When is the cheapest window to buy long haul flights?

I'm going to the rugby world cup next year in Japan, looking at Tokyo from the 24th October-7th November 2019. I have semi final tickets for the 26th October but other than that my dates are flexible.

I'm getting close to being able to book flights but the prices are insane. Cathy Pacific for example in September 2019 are looking for €935 minimum return.

But if I wanted to go in March for example, I can get it for as little as €650. I've seen Turkish Airlines before go for €520.

What's the craic? Is it just the seasons? What's the sweetspot for pricing? I presume that they're initially expensive, drop off and then ramp up again?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Here's something that was news to me this weekend.....

Aer Lingus won't let you check-in online with a passport card. Only a passport number.

I got caught by this at the weekend - had booked a two-leg flight home, second leg with Aer Lingus. I had a tight enough transfer time. When trying to check in online, no joy with the passport card. I got someone on online chat who was supremely unhelpful and basically just said "computer says no". Because of the tight transfer time there was no way I could go out, check in at the airport, and get back in in time to make the flight.

I wound up putting my passport number into the online check-in, even though I didn't have it with me, and in the event it was never properly checked. But I'd be fairly sure that's not allowed - submit one document, but travel with a different one (maybe it is? I'm open to correction on that one). Not sure what the consequences would be if it was discovered.

Anyway, like I said, it was news to me when I heard, so just thought I'd put it out there for those who like travelling with the passport card in Europe. No online check-in possible with it, with Aer Lingus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Has anyone ever flown Blue-Air or Cobalt Air? Have to go DUB-LCA next week and these were by far the least hassle but never flown either before. Doesn't look like either have a mobile app which is a bit crap if I have to remember to print a boarding pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭KBD85

Keedowah wrote: »
    It is normally fine when it is under the one booking. However, I have in the past had to collect my bags at the first entry point into the US - but after that they should be put through to your final destination.

Is the only way to get flights under the one booking, where different airlines may be needed, to use an intermediary like lastminute.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

KBD85 wrote: »
    Is the only way to get flights under the one booking, where different airlines may be needed, to use an intermediary like lastminute.com

No, airlines often offer codeshares, i.e. Aer Lingus & United.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭boccy23

Can you take an empty reusable water bottle through security? You know like a Contigo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

boccy23 wrote: »
    Can you take an empty reusable water bottle through security? You know like a Contigo.

Yes, as long as it's empty

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Yes, as long as it's empty

I have one that's aluminium. Do you have to open it to show it's empty?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

I have one that's aluminium. Do you have to open it to show it's empty?

No, it goes throught the x-ray machine and the machinist can see if it’s empty or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

Can anyone help me this question, On Friday I was meant to be travelling to Chicago with Aer lingus on EI123. Unfortunately this turned into a total fiasco and was cancelled after nearly 6 and a half hours, which totalled scuppered the purpose of my trip. Having cleared US customs in the morning I am a bit worried that I am down as having entered the United States on their system (and now will potentially have never left the states) as I just left the airport that evening. Aer Lingus staff said there would be no problem, but I don't trust them after the events of Friday. The last thing I need is a problem with US immigration the next time I travel to America

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

ISOP wrote: »
    Can anyone help me this question, On Friday I was meant to be travelling to Chicago with Aer lingus on EI123. Unfortunately this turned into a total fiasco and was cancelled after nearly 6 and a half hours, which totalled scuppered the purpose of my trip. Having cleared US customs in the morning I am a bit worried that I am down as having entered the United States on their system (and now will potentially have never left the states) as I just left the airport that evening. Aer Lingus staff said there would be no problem, but I don't trust them after the events of Friday. The last thing I need is a problem with US immigration the next time I travel to America

You will be fine, US authorities know the flight was cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Jacovs

ISOP wrote: »

There wont be any problem. CBP will have uncleared the entire flight before you were allowed leave.

Thank you guys

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

US preclearance is pretty quick usually, its the check in unless you have status that can take well over an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

If in any doubt about US entry, https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/history-search#section will show your record of entry and exit

If in any doubt about US entry, https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/history-search#section will show your record of entry and exit
    Thanks, looks like I am in the US according to this site, it shows me entering on Friday with no amendment to show flight cancellation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

It takes a few days to update in full, if its not fixed within 7 days (and you don't enter the US in the interim) call the Embassy in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭roadmaster

A few days ago I flew in to Dublin on an early flight from New York . As usual Aer lingus where top notch. I was very slow getting up to immigration and was behind a few families with young kids. We are all directed to stand in a line to be called. What happened would not bother me usually but I felt angry for the people with kids. Instead of being called over the ignorant lady looked up and went back to playing with her phone and left all standing there. A Daa young lad then diverted everyone over to another desk.

This time people didn’t wait and just walked up and gave there passports in.The Lad that looked like he just arrived in from coopers. These people are the first state officials a foreigner sees when they get off the plane. It is terrible unprofessional behavior and not the first time I have seen it happen. At customs one lady started giving out to the poor customs official who started to apologize even do it was nothing to do with him.Is there anything to be said for getting the guards back?

I can upgrade to Business on Emirates from Dubai to Dublin for €522. Worth it? It's the daytime flight arriving in Dublin around 8PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

I can upgrade to Business on Emirates from Dubai to Dublin for €522. Worth it? It's the daytime flight arriving in Dublin around 8PM.

Nobody can tell you if it's 'worth it' as that's subjective. Depends on how much money you have and what you value with it. It's a good product, good wines, nice seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

configuration on the DXB-DUB flight is horrendous though. 2-3-2 in this day and age is horribly outdated. I wouldn't pay €500 for it but would for the likes of AerLingus Trans Atlantic offering.

Agree re the Emirates business config on the DXB-DUB 777s - I dont think I'd bother paying for the upgrade. Get an emergency exit row in economy, feet up on the bag and fall asleep. :) The 777 seat in business is too narrow with the 2-3-2 layout. Much better on Qatar 777s. Now if it was an Emirates A380, that's a different matter and I'd be far more tempted to pay!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

BigMoose wrote: »
    Agree re the Emirates business config on the DXB-DUB 777s - I dont think I'd bother paying for the upgrade. Get an emergency exit row in economy, feet up on the bag and fall asleep. :) The 777 seat in business is too narrow with the 2-3-2 layout. Much better on Qatar 777s. Now if it was an Emirates A380, that's a different matter and I'd be far more tempted to pay!

While the overall Business Class product is better on the A380 the seats are actually narrower than those on the 777.

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

For circa €500, I’d take it.

While the overall Business Class product is better on the A380 the seats are actually narrower than those on the 777.

I'm surprised at that! Certainly when lying flat on the A380 and the arm rest is down, it feels more spacious than the 777 where you're hemmed in on each side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

I have flown both allot in the last year (out 777 back A380, 8 weeks this year) and I find the complete opposite. I find the 777 bus seat much wider and much better foot box/ area then the A380. The 777 to dublin may still be the old fit out but I still find it better than the A380.

I find it difficult (well not as easy) to sleep on the A380 due to the width of the seat, especially the foot well area, its tiny.

A380 has the bar of course but no chance of an A380 to DUB.

Anyway I'd go for it. My new firm uses fly Dubai, and flipping economy for everyone. the only thing I miss about my old job.

I've only seen the old fit 777s on the DUB route without an actual foot well, just the foot rest on the end of the seat, not going quite fully flat either. Qatar on the other hand have 2-2-2 in business on 777s I've been on (but not out of Dub, they use 787s) and that was much wider/nicer with a decent foot well.

My poxy company flies us all economy too so I'm relying on air miles or lucky upgrades, except the rare occasions if going to Aus/NZ they _might_ relent and fly me business! I need to find a new job/industry that still fly business...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

Yeah all the 777's have a just an area for feet not a foot box, I included the foot box in ref to the A380.

I wish I had swiped more razers from the Emirates lounge. I don't mind Emirates economy as the max I flew is 3 hours but I love having breakfast in the lounge and helping myself to razors and toothbrushes. All gone now.

I have been asked by my OH if we can upgrade flying to Rome next summer as she hasn't been business on the A380. Three ticket upgrades, all my miles gone. :(

Got my first free upgrade after 3 years of being gold on Emirates from Dub to DXB in April, only one so I gave it to the OH and I sat back in economy. Now Im back to silver so no chance of an upgrade

Advertisement