Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Here's a slightly random question. If you're checked in and have your boarding pass for a T2 flight, can you go through security in T1? Since airside they are connected with no other security in the middle, technically this should be possible, but also maybe they just don't let you.

Reason is, I'm planning to arrive on a BA flight from LCY at 10.25 in Terminal 1, and hoping to catch a flight to Kerry with EI at 12.10. All going well, I should have time to switch terminals (it's not all on a connecting ticket unfortunately), but it would make life easier if I could go back through the security gates at T1 since the EI flight will probably go from gates down there anyway.

Anyway just asking out of interest. Does anyone have any experience of this? Thanks.

Wait, do you actually need to go through security again? Does the Flight Connections area not handle this airside?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

You can use flight connections. Doesn't have to be all on one ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

LorelaiG wrote: »
    You can use flight connections. Doesn't have to be all on one ticket.

Thanks to the above posters. I thought it would make sense to use flight connections if I had checked in etc, even if on a different ticket. But from what I saw on the site it didn't seem that way. I'll give it a shot!

Edit: Actually, on the site it says : "Please Note: Self-connecting passengers are not permitted to use the Flight Connections facility" so maybe not.

https://www.dublinairport.com/flight-connections/self-connecting-passenger-information

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Yes of course you can.

This is handy to know for all those sneaky aer lingus flights that tell you you're T2 but you actually board in T1.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Update for anyone who has this question again, I emailed Dublin Airport with this query and they confirmed that if I have my boarding pass I can use flight connections.

"Yes, once you have your boarding pass for your onward flight, you may use the flight connections corridor."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mikel97

Broken old Plane Again.
    Aer Lingus 150 to Kennedy Airport

Second time to use the New York flight and second time it break down. We now going to the ryanair terminal in dublin. Maybe no NY today unless they can find some plane that works or maybe fix this one.

Its like a circus here, not a lot of informations.
    Should have just gone Norwegian.

Smart flys...........

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

mikel97 wrote: »
    Broken old Plane Again.

Second time to use the New York flight and second time it break down. We now going to the ryanair terminal in dublin. Maybe no NY today unless they can find some plane that works or maybe fix this one.

Smart flys...........

Aer Lingus are not reliable on Transatlantic routes, avoid at all costs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

mikel97 wrote: »
    Broken old Plane Again.

Smart flys...........

What plane were you on

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deatr

It was EDY. My Mrs. Is on it. Took longer to get a stand to go back to for the engineers to fix the issue. They’ll make up time enroute.

Deatr wrote: »
    It was EDY. My Mrs. Is on it. Took longer to get a stand to go back to for the engineers to fix the issue. They’ll make up time enroute.

Yeah it’s now landing in New York 1 hour behind schedule, not so bad in the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭john boye

Referring to a 9-year old plane as old, is that where we are now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

Seems to be national kick Aer Lingus day...
    Aer Lingus passengers who do not use flight mode risk sky-high charges
    via The Irish Times
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/aer-lingus-passengers-who-do-not-use-flight-mode-risk-sky-high-charges-1.3717646

Very unbalanced coverage (some idiot leaving their phone on). Did the national union of journalists have a overseas junket and AL refuse to upgrade them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

micosoft wrote: »
    Seems to be national kick Aer Lingus day...
    Aer Lingus passengers who do not use flight mode risk sky-high charges
    via The Irish Times
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/aer-lingus-passengers-who-do-not-use-flight-mode-risk-sky-high-charges-1.3717646

Very unbalanced coverage (some idiot leaving their phone on). Did the national union of journalists have a overseas junket and AL refuse to upgrade them?

IT always give Aer Lingus passengers a platform to whinge on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    IT always give Aer Lingus passengers a platform to whinge on.

Not just Aer Lingus - they seem to have a hotline for morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

micosoft wrote: »

I left my phone on once on a Qatar flight. It was delayed on the ground and I fell asleep listening to music. 170 euro in roaming charges when I connected to whatever 3G was on the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭john boye

Odd article. The headline kind of implies that Aer Lingus (surely it's all Tatl carriers, unless I'm missing something) is up to no good but then literally the first line says pax "who ignore repeated requests to turn off their phones or switch them to flight mode" making it clear that the pax are at fault.

john boye wrote: »
    Odd article. The headline kind of implies that Aer Lingus (surely it's all Tatl carriers, unless I'm missing something) is up to no good but then literally the first line says pax "who ignore repeated requests to turn off their phones or switch them to flight mode" making it clear that the pax are at fault.

Yeah I think it’s a fair article, and everyone who reads it will bloody ensure their phones are off or in flight more next time they fly .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭abff

abff wrote: »
    I'm flying to Faro with Aer Lingus in a couple of weeks. Their website says that you can use a boarding pass on your smartphone at most airports within Europe but that Donegal and Faro airports don't accept mobile phone boarding passes.

However, there is no problem with using a Ryanair boarding pass on your smartphone at Faro Airport, which I have done twice already this year. Any idea why Aer Lingus have a problem and does anyone know what they're doing (if anything) to rectify it?

And does the problem apply to both outgoing and incoming flights?

I've sent an email to Aer Lingus regarding the apparent anomaly between what their website is saying and actual practice at Faro airport. I'll post details of whatever response I get.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Exactly the same issue can occur on a ferry crossing from Ireland to the UK or France, if you don't sign in to the ferry wi-fi, it can result in some very high charges as they too use satellite links, and if a download of an update occurs, (which is very common on Android devices), the costs can be significant.There are warnings posted, but they're not that widespread, or prominent, so I would not be surprised to hear that a number of people have had bad experiences with this.

It's safer to disable updates when travelling like this, in that the ferry systems are not always stable, and if the connection is lost, it can result in data being transferred over the chargeable network, and as has been mentioned, that can cost a lot.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

As an aside, I've taken too many flights in the last couple of weeks (8 to be precise) and started to wonder why they still bother to have the no-smoking light-up symbols on the planes. I was thinking they should just replace them with a 'radio' symbol indicating whether you can turn flight mode off or not.

I guess the problem is that the rules around this change too rapidly to get a handle on it. But I did notice that Aer Lingus crew have started making announcements on landing that "active runways" are cleared and you can use your phones again (as opposed to telling you to wait until the seatbelt sign is off) - presumably this and takeoff are signals that they receive from the cockpit without the pilots having to actually manually indicate it, so it would be fun to tie that into an overhead light!

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    As an aside, I've taken too many flights in the last couple of weeks (8 to be precise) and started to wonder why they still bother to have the no-smoking light-up symbols on the planes. I was thinking they should just replace them with a 'radio' symbol indicating whether you can turn flight mode off or not.

I guess the problem is that the rules around this change too rapidly to get a handle on it. But I did notice that Aer Lingus crew have started making announcements on landing that "active runways" are cleared and you can use your phones again (as opposed to telling you to wait until the seatbelt sign is off) - presumably this and takeoff are signals that they receive from the cockpit without the pilots having to actually manually indicate it, so it would be fun to tie that into an overhead light!

Yeah some newer aircraft have only seatbelt signs installed but this is also customers choice when they’re ordering the aircraft.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

errlloyd wrote: »
    I left my phone on once on a Qatar flight. It was delayed on the ground and I fell asleep listening to music. 170 euro in roaming charges when I connected to whatever 3G was on the plane.

Im from a border county and until EU roaming was introduced we all knew to keep your data off in certain areas. Regularly your phone would switch from RoI to NI providers as you walked from one end of the pub to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

MJohnston wrote: »

Many airlines still use the "no smoking" as a chime for the flight deck to communicate with the crew and on the 777 the No Smoking light is now a "No Electronics" as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pretty sure the last few newest EI 320s have the electronics sign instead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

Hi,
    Never flown with Lufthansa before, according to their website I am allowed one bag up to 8kg for carry on (Economy light).

Perhaps this is just me being stupid, but I have a small wheelie case (the ones that fit in the overhead cabin), could I also have a light backpack (over shoulder school bag type) too?

Some airlines seem very strict, while others just judge based on the flight, what are Lufthansa like?

jogdish wrote: »
    Hi,
    Never flown with Lufthansa before, according to their website I am allowed one bag up to 8kg for carry on (Economy light).

Perhaps this is just me being stupid, but I have a small wheelie case (the ones that fit in the overhead cabin), could I also have a light backpack (over shoulder school bag type) too?

Some airlines seem very strict, while others just judge based on the flight, what are Lufthansa like?

You are entitled to bring just one 8kg bag with Lufthansa

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

lufthansa allow 2 pieces of luggage (rolly bag and small bag/laptop bag) and generally aren't too strict with their own staff but I did see a woman get her bag weighed by external handling staff in a non german airport and because it was just over 8kg she had it thrown into the hold, much to her protest.

Never saw a bag weighed before with a Lufthansa flight before last weekend, including manys a flight from Dublin.

The second bag can only be either a handbag or laptop not a back pack. Max depth is 10cms. https://www.lufthansa.com/ae/en/carry-on-baggage

Those are their rules whether they implement them on the day is luck on your behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I travel with LH a lot, I always have one roller bag and one small laptop bag and I've never once been challenged about this. Occasionally I've heard them say the flight is full and ask for people to check their bags in at the gate but they don't force you.

• Advertisement

I travel with LH a lot, I always have one roller bag and one small laptop bag and I've never once been challenged about this. Occasionally I've heard them say the flight is full and ask for people to check their bags in at the gate but they don't force you.

So what happens if they don’t get enough volunteers to gate check bags?

Advertisement