Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Yep same ticket with Delta. Can do a longer layover. I think the arrival gate is close to the connection to Berlin. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ruu wrote: »
    Yep same ticket with Delta. Can do a longer layover. I think the arrival gate is close to the connection to Berlin. Thanks.

If its the same terminal and the same ticket you should be fine. Should your flight be delayed you'll just be put onto the next Berlin flight anyway so if its 1hr 30mins I'd say go for it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Hi folks, I've done a quick search here but not found the answers I'm looking for.
    I'd like to know what are your experiences of travelling with Aer Lingus regional and their policies regarding hand luggage ?
    The trouble is I'm not asking for myself (I travel very lightly, if I can't I check a bag) but in this case my mum will be flying with them, she usually brings a standard trolly bag, as well as her handbag with her.
    However on the Aer Lingus website it says strictly one pice of hand luggage is allowed on Regional flights !
    I know the weight limit is less on regional flights, but what about the additional handbag/laptop that's allowed on mainline ?
    Is that allowed too? Do they measure/weigh bags at the gate?
    What are your experiences ?
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-information/baggage-information/cabin-baggage/

Hi there, the above info will give you the dimensions and weights for allowed cabin bags.

From the horses mouth so to speak, on a full ATR all pax cabin bags will not fit in overhead lockers. The procedure on a full flight or one where there is a concern on the size of a cabin bag is for some bags to be removed from pax, tagged and placed in the hold for collection from the baggage hall on arrival.

There will be no problem with a handbag or small backpack which can be placed under a seat, carried as well as the cabin bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I find the regional service to be pretty relaxed about hand luggage. Then again it depends on the flight. If it's full it will be stricter but I've seen people attempt to get on with over sized bags, they tag and put in the hold at no extra cost in my experience. Then again I don't see a lot of full flights with them. The new ATR 72 600s are nice to fly on although a bit noisy on take off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Its only a small plane and the luggage bins are quite small. I was flying back from Blackpool and there was no room left and they wanted to put my small bag in the hold. When I explained it was a medical device, the girl said fine, but asked me to get it under the seat.

If the bag is a bit big, it may HAVE to go in the hold.

Enjoyed the flight though, but the wife didn't, she felt claustraphobic as the plane is very small.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Growler!!! wrote: »
    https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-information/baggage-information/cabin-baggage/

Hi there, the above info will give you the dimensions and weights for allowed cabin bags.

From the horses mouth so to speak, on a full ATR all pax cabin bags will not fit in overhead lockers. The procedure on a full flight or one where there is a concern on the size of a cabin bag is for some bags to be removed from pax, tagged and placed in the hold for collection from the baggage hall on arrival.

There will be no problem with a handbag or small backpack which can be placed under a seat, carried as well as the cabin bag.

Thanks for the reply, that's everything I needed to know!
    I had already seen the info in the link you posted, that's actually what cast the doubt in my mind, as it looks like there are two very seperate allowances between mainline and regional !

Out of interest, on the ATRs does weight and balance become an issue on very full flights when a lot of tagged luggage has to go to the hold etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Locker10a wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, that's everything I needed to know!
    I had already seen the info in the link you posted, that's actually what cast the doubt in my mind, as it looks like there are two very seperate allowances between mainline and regional !

Out of interest, on the ATRs does weight and balance become an issue on very full flights when a lot of tagged luggage has to go to the hold etc.?

Nope, tagged baggage is included in pax standard weights. Effects trim setting but nothing significant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Apologies for what seems a bit of a daft question.

If I have a flight at 10:00, what is supposed to happen at 10:00? Is this supposed to be the time we board, we start taxing, or we take off?

I fly around 30 times per year, and while I know the boarding time stated on the pass is often very inaccurate, it also seems rare that the plane is away from the gate by the stated time. So what is it supposed to refer to?

LiamoSail wrote: »

If I have a flight at 10:00, what is supposed to happen at 10:00? Is this supposed to be the time we board, we start taxing, or we take off?

I fly around 30 times per year, and while I know the boarding time stated on the pass is often very inaccurate, it also seems rare that the plane is away from the gate by the stated time. So what is it supposed to refer to?

Taxing I think.

I love the Ryanair boarding passes, "gate closes 20 minutes before departure" yet their aircraft can often have 25min turnarounds! Several times I have arrived at the gate with just 20 minutes to spare and the aircraft is either not there at all or not even boarding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The times quoted in airline timetables, on the airline booking websites and on the booking confirmation are all as follows:

Departure time - Time the aircraft is due to start push back from the stand

Arrival time - Time the aircraft is due on stand at the arrival airport

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

It should be noted that you can push back after the stated departure time and still arrive by the stated arrival time

It should be noted that you can push back after the stated departure time and still arrive by the stated arrival time

Often dependant on the wind and the traffic at the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Absolutely - airlines build resilience into the schedule to allow for delays caused by busy traffic, headwinds etc.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

....and while I know the boarding time stated on the pass is often very inaccurate, it also seems rare that the plane is away from the gate by the stated time. ...?
    Boarding time indicated on the boarding card (Gate closes) will be approx 20-45 mins before scheduled departure time. This is indicated so that all the pax are ready at the gate so they can get them on quickly. Most airlines plan to have aircraft doors closed 5-10 mins before scheduled departure time in order to make the time.
    Obvious if a flight is delayed it will impact on later flights, but an airline may switch aircraft if the delay will badly impact the next. So no point thinking "the plane will be late today because it always is"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

How do you survive a 14 hour flight..... whats the secret to arriving your destination alive....

smurfjed wrote: »
    How do you survive a 14 hour flight..... whats the secret to arriving your destination alive....

First or Business class would help I expect?

First or Business class would help I expect?
    OK, thats a given, now how do i survive?

I have to admit that I'm a spoilt traveller :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

Flying back to Ireland from Cardiff with Flybe at the end of the month. Does anyone know if a provisional licence is acceptable ID or does it have to be full licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Flying back to Ireland from Cardiff with Flybe at the end of the month. Does anyone know if a provisional licence is acceptable ID or does it have to be full licence?
    From the flybe website.
    http://www.flybe.com/checkin/id-requirements.htm
    Republic of Ireland travel
    British and Irish citizens must have a form of photographic ID which proves their nationality/citizenship for immigration purposes e.g. a valid passport or full driving licence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

If you're in first you'll survive just fine! Keep hydrated and try to sleep on the flight definitely.

14 hours..... 2 films = 3-4 hours, 2 meal services = ~4 hours, 6 hour sleep. Sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

14.5hrs is the longest I've done, Dubai to Brisbane. I've done this in economy, business and first class over the years. My tips are:

- no alcohol, before or during the flight.
    - plenty of water.
    - noise cancelling headphones and a couple of good movies.
    - get out of your seat and stand/walk as much as possible

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Senecio wrote: »
    14.5hrs is the longest I've done, Dubai to Brisbane. I've done this in economy, business and first class over the years. My tips are:

- no alcohol, before or during the flight.
    - plenty of water.
    - noise cancelling headphones and a couple of good movies.
    - get out of your seat and stand/walk as much as possible

I did the reverse of this flight in November and then the onward trek to Dublin... in Emirates economy! I wouldn't usually sleep on such long flights so I went to a chemist in Brisbane and asked very nicely what they had that might help me sleep! Got some lovely tablets.. took 2 after the first meal service.. next thing I know it was the breakfast meal service and then shortly arriving into Dubai...

Managed to survive the westbound journey, but now sitting on the return flight from LAX. Scheduled time is about 16 hours!

Gotta say that I'm not a lover of super long haul flights ��

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Managed to survive the westbound journey, but now sitting on the return flight from LAX. Scheduled time is about 16 hours!

Gotta say that I'm not a lover of super long haul flights ��

Did you take many pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Hi,

Our travel office is booking flights for me and have come back with S-Economy class, what does "S" stand for? I'm supposed to fly premium economy.
    It's with Aer Lingus.

Neilw wrote: »
    Hi,

Our travel office is booking flights for me and have come back with S-Economy class, what does "S" stand for? I'm supposed to fly premium economy.
    It's with Aer Lingus.

Aer Lingus don't have premium economy as far as I know.

Neilw wrote: »
    .....Our travel office is booking flights for me and have come back with S-Economy class..... I'm supposed to fly premium economy.It's with Aer Lingus...
    Might want to ask you travel office. EI do not have premium economy. Perhaps they have booked you an exit row and/or upgraded your meal?

EI do have an 'offer' where you pay a little extra to select a seat in the first 6 rows of Economy.....but it is that exact same seat/service as the rest of the cabin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Thanks guys, I'll check with the travel office next week.

Advertisement