Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 G Shock

Conor84 wrote: »
    Lanzarote (huge bar) that have smoking areas outside that are great.

Ahh... I used to love that outside bar in Lanzorote when I was a smoker. Last chance to have a pint of Tropical, get a bit of sun & feel that real heat on your bones before coming back to our soggy rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

LorelaiG wrote: »
    You've obviously never been in the LHR T3 smoking cage.

Earlier this year transferred between T3 and T5 there. Had just come in from US on Virgin. I didn't know there was one in T3 otherwise I would have used the service.

Is it like the plave they have in Shannon airside? I remember reading that they did that to facilitate the American military flying through the airport
    G Shock wrote: »
    Ahh... I used to love that outside bar in Lanzorote when I was a smoker. Last chance to have a pint of Tropical, get a bit of sun & feel that real heat on your bones before coming back to our soggy rock.

Yeah it is great just before heading back home. Even my gf loved that and she sn't a smoker and wouldn't usually go into a smoking area. Seems real civilized being through security and yet syill able to see the outside road.
    Nijmegen wrote: »
    I imagine setting up an open air area is a real pain in the hoop requiring a load of structural changes to suit security concerns. And as you say, nobody will crucify them for not doing it while putting one in will likely attract PR flak. So why bother.

I suppose but they came up with the T1 smoking area from an existing building whle T2 was a new build. But times change. I remember when I started going to the airport first spotting as a kid in the 90s. Always remember going down to the old Burger King in the arrivals hall to have our lunch and used to smoke in there with my cousin and no one would say anything eventhough I was definitely under age!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Hoping to fly from Dublin to Zanzibar in Feb. The flights go from Dublin to Dubai and on to Zanzibar. I've never flown into Dubai.

Is a 2 hour transit time in Dubai a big enough window to pick up bags and catch the connecting flight?

I usually travel under the influence of prescription opiod meds and never have a problem bringing them through EU routes but would there be different rules in Dubai/Zanzibar airports?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

humberklog wrote: »
    Hoping to fly from Dublin to Zanzibar in Feb. The flights go from Dublin to Dubai and on to Zanzibar. I've never flown into Dubai.

Is a 2 hour transit time in Dubai a big enough window to pick up bags and catch the connecting flight?

I usually travel under the influence of prescription opiod meds and never have a problem bringing them through EU routes but would there be different rules in Dubai/Zanzibar airports?

Prescription Opioid meds could be a problem in Dubai even if properly prescribed, you need to do due diligence beforehand. Nurofen Plus for instance cannot be brought into the UAE due to the codeine even though OTC here in Ireland. Some meds in the midrange, such as Xanax and the like are OK if you bring your original prescription and carry less than 30 days worth of prescribed usage, Opioids however are considered narcotics and at the high end of the scale. Depending how strong the Opioid meds are I would be very careful and do extensive due diligence.

Chances are they don't even check your bag, but the consequences could be severe if you are unlucky and don't suss it out properly beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

You would be better not to bring them and get what you need from a local doctor.

• Advertisement

Ok, so grand and thanks for advice re drugs. I'll be leaving them behind.

But what about the 3 hour transit time in Dubai, is that long enough?

Plenty long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

You mention "pick up bags" - presumably you're going on one booking? Emirates? In which case no need to get the bags in Dubai and 3 hours is plenty long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Do you really have to go via Dubai? If you are traveling with drugs, you MUST get a preflight approval through their website, otherwise you stand a good chance of ending up in jail.

smurfjed wrote: »
    Do you really have to go via Dubai? If you are traveling with drugs, you MUST get a preflight approval through their website, otherwise you stand a good chance of ending up in jail.

Tried a few alternatives than Dubai (Istanbul for eg) but the times and price looked better via Dubai.

Drugs question is answered and understood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Flying to Vancouver via Seattle tomorrow with aerlingus
    Haven't checked in online
    Can I just check in at the airport as I've a bag to check in?
    Will I be able to choose a seat or just be assigned one at the airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

youngblood wrote: »
    Flying to Vancouver via Seattle tomorrow
    Haven't checked in online
    Can I just check in at the airport as I've a bag to check in?
    Will I be able to choose a seat or just be assigned one at the airport?

You probably won't be able to check in online for a US flight anyway. All the rest depends on your airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭uxiant

I'm flying with KLM to Amsterdam but the flight will be operated by Stobart using an Embraer 195. I presume the KLM cabin baggage rules are applied still?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

uxiant wrote: »
    I'm flying with KLM to Amsterdam but the flight will be operated by Stobart using an Embraer 195. I presume the KLM cabin baggage rules are applied still?

Yes, and while KLM are fairly generous space is limited and baggage is checked in at the gate for free too.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭uxiant

Locker10a wrote: »
    Yes, and while KLM are fairly generous space is limited and baggage is checked in at the gate for free too.

Thanks. Was just curious as Stobart have different sizes listed for Aer Lingus and Flybe it appears but there was no mention of KLM.

uxiant wrote: »
    Thanks. Was just curious as Stobart have different sizes listed for Aer Lingus and Flybe it appears but there was no mention of KLM.

That’s because they use a smaller aircraft with smaller overhead lockers on those flights, for KLM they operate the flight with the Embraer which is they type KLM often use themselves for the route so same policy applies

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Has anyone ever connected in CPH? I've a 55 minute connection there in September, and starting to get a little nervous. All on the one ticket, so SAS have to help me if anything goes wrong, but it still seems tight.

Has anyone ever connected in CPH? I've a 55 minute connection there in September, and starting to get a little nervous. All on the one ticket, so SAS have to help me if anything goes wrong, but it still seems tight.

Provided your flight is early or on time you’ll be ok, it’s actually a lovely airport to use and easy to navigate. If you miss you connection SAS will look after you with rebooking, reroute, accommodation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,803 ✭✭✭✭L1011

How frequent are the flights on the second leg? And is it Schengen or not?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yeah, if you have to go from non-schengen (ex-Dublin) to schengen it can be quite a long walk in CPH. Generally speaking though if you land on time I think you'll be fine. I've had to do a brisk walk there before though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I’m actually going the opposite way! Coming home from Stockholm, and cheapest flight is ARN -CPH - DUB. It’s the only DUB flight that day, which makes me nervous, but I’ll roll with it and see what happens. According to FR24 the first leg is usually early, so that bodes well

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭adam240610

Flying from Madrid to Dublin with Iberia express in three weeks. First time with them, how does their check-in procedure work? Never entered any passport details or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I’m actually going the opposite way! Coming home from Stockholm, and cheapest flight is ARN -CPH - DUB. It’s the only DUB flight that day, which makes me nervous, but I’ll roll with it and see what happens. According to FR24 the first leg is usually early, so that bodes well

It shouldn’t be a problem - CPH is a great airport to transfer in.

Provided you have no checked luggage. I would hate to have made the connection only for my main bags to miss it.

Provided you have no checked luggage. I would hate to have made the connection only for my main bags to miss it.

It wouldn’t surprise me if in CPH the checked luggage would make it no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Locker10a wrote: »
    It wouldn’t surprise me if in CPH the checked luggage would make it no problem

I would agree - SAS runs a very slick operation there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭sk8board

It was going to happen eventually - I just realised I’ve left my autocorrect put ‘Tom’ instead of Thomas on my boarding card for 6am tomorrow (Sunday) with Aerlingus into Gatwick. I only booked the flight on Thursday night while sitting in Calgary airport on my way home and wasn’t paying attention.

EI want €100 to change a nickname (Ryanair do it for free), even though they accept a work photo ID on this sector. unfortunately I don’t have any photo ID with Tom.
    I have the boarding card on my phone as usual.

Have done this trip tonnes of times, so I think I’m going to wing it, considering the low levels of ID requirement, unless someone thinks it’ll be trouble at the gate.

Thanks as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

sk8board wrote: »
    It was going to happen eventually - I just realised I’ve left my autocorrect put ‘Tom’ instead of Thomas on my boarding card for 6am tomorrow (Sunday) with Aerlingus into Gatwick. I only booked the flight on Thursday night while sitting in Calgary airport on my way home and wasn’t paying attention.

EI want €100 to change a nickname (Ryanair do it for free), even though they accept a work photo ID on this sector. unfortunately I don’t have any photo ID with Tom.
    I have the boarding card on my phone as usual.

Have done this trip tonnes of times, so I think I’m going to wing it, considering the low levels of ID requirement, unless someone thinks it’ll be trouble at the gate.

Thanks as ever.

Be grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

You'd want to meet an awful arse at the gate to stop you, you'll be fine I'm sure.

Advertisement