Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

There is a limit on the number of infants per row and certain rows are off limits

The morning flight to Malaga is normally a wide bodied jet with dedicated rows for infants

Call Aer Lingus and likely they will sort it out.

We flew with aerlingus last month with a baby. Just set a timer for 30 hours before and check in. You'll be fine. We had no bother at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

If you were willing to pay online you can call I pay I believe but as above you should be fine 30 hours out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Specific seats or rows have restrictions

1A/B/C/D on a Ryanair 737 will need to be able bodied, no infants + the exit rows and possibly also C and D in the last row.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

smurfjed wrote: »
    Isnt the person who sits beside the emergency exit supposed to be an "abled bodied person", ie they are supposed to assist others ?

I was on a united flight a while ago in the emergency exit row. It was about 130 dollars extra (work wouldn't book me business, but did agree to legroom!). There was an older lady beside me, retired. She was boasting about how her and her husband always pay extra to get the legroom.

Now I don't want to be ageist, it is impossible to predict what will happen in an emergency and maybe a cool head is more relevant than a fit body. But this woman wasn't lifting an 18KG exit door and throwing it out of the aircraft. On top of that she had her hand luggage in the footwell at take off and the cabin crew didn't do anything about it. Maybe she looked too old and wealthy to interrupt.

Since then I have been uncomfortable with airlines commercializing the emergency exit seats. I was the window seat for that flight, so I was fine, but for everyone else on the plane her and her bags were a hazard. I fear that the subset of travelers willing to pay an extra 130 dollars for legroom aren't representative of the best people to be in those seats. I mean, arguably you want the exact opposite - a short, young, male. Who will easily be able to open the door and exit the doorway.

US airlines do not enforce the clear floor space rules we see in Europe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

errlloyd wrote: »
    //Exit Rows

I had a similar experience with Norweigan but it was kinda the opposite. My flight was pretty empty out of Canada and of the 9 exit rows, there were probably 7 empty seats. I and my partner had a seat between us, which was my first experience ever of this happening.

They only sat someone at the window for the empty exit rows. I was always under the impression the row had to be full of people, or at least two.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

ironclaw wrote: »
    I had a similar experience with Norweigan but it was kinda the opposite. My flight was pretty empty out of Canada and of the 9 exit rows, there were probably 7 empty seats. I and my partner had a seat between us, which was my first experience ever of this happening.

They only sat someone at the window for the empty exit rows. I was always under the impression the row had to be full of people, or at least two.

Nope one person per exit row, sometimes it’s stipulated they must occupy the window seat of that row

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭redcard

Update: got them on the phone this morning and you cannot prebook seats with an infant I'll need to do it at airport, good news is that all children under 12 have to be seated with there guardian so at least I don't have to worry about the younger ones being separated

redcard wrote: »
    Update: got them on the phone this morning and you cannot prebook seats with an infant I'll need to do it at airport, good news is that all children under 12 have to be seated with there guardian so at least I don't have to worry about the younger ones being separated

I’d imagine they keep certain seats available for airport staff to assign for exactly your situation

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

redcard wrote: »

Under EASA rules children under 12 must be seated within 1 row of their parent/guardian.
    So a family of 2 adults and 3 kids seated in 6B, 7B, 8B, 9B, 10B is ‘legal’, with parents in 7B & 9B.

Turn up early to ensure you get allocated the infant bassinets on the wide body aircraft.

• Advertisement

On the A330 there are two rows with 4 seats blocked for infants and these are only released if no infants are booked so a non infant cannot get those seats

Contemplating booking an unsecured connection from Tokyo NRT and was looking for feedback and hopefully personal experience of someone who has flown through NRT.

I am landing on an Emirates A380 at 17:35 pm, and I'd like to switch to a low-cost carrier (Jetstar) taking off at 19:15. So 1:40. Chances are I'll have checked bags. Jetstar is from Terminal 3, which is 500m from Terminal 2 where the A380 lands. Jetstar closes bag drop 45 minutes before take off.

I reckon I am willing to take the risk of the Emirates flight being 20 minutes late. So basically is 35 minutes in NRT enough time to disembark an A380, clear immigration and walk 500m, or am I mad?

Everything else involves spending a sort of redundant night in the airport.

Contemplating booking an unsecured connection from Tokyo NRT and was looking for feedback and hopefully personal experience of someone who has flown through NRT.

I am landing on an Emirates A380 at 17:35 pm, and I'd like to switch to a low-cost carrier (Jetstar) taking off at 19:15. So 1:40. Chances are I'll have checked bags. Jetstar is from Terminal 3, which is 500m from Terminal 2 where the A380 lands. Jetstar closes bag drop 45 minutes before take off.

I reckon I am willing to take the risk of the Emirates flight being 20 minutes late. So basically is 35 minutes in NRT enough time to disembark an A380, clear immigration and walk 500m, or am I mad?

Well if you’d be spending a night anyway you may as well risk it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Sounds a bit risky to me. How does missing the second flight effect your plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Not a hope in hell being honest.

I was in hamdina Airport the other one in Tokyo to get from my gate to picking up my bags was 20 mins ha then I had immigration after that and passport control and customs.

I think took about a hour and a bit before I got on the tube

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Yeah, immigration is gonna screw you coming off an A380

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

You DO NOT go through immigration when connecting in Narita to another international airline
    You don't say where your jetstar is going
    If its internal,then you will go through immigration and will in my opinion miss your flight If theres a delay to your Emirates
    Insurance might cover you there but you're still going to have the delay and wait for the later flight in that instance
    So you have to ask is it worth it

Mortelaro wrote: »
    You don't say where your jetstar is going

Thanks all, some really helpful posts there. Indeed the flight is internal, to Fuk.

Axa have an insurance product called Fizzy. It allows you to parametrically bet on your flight and get instant cash reimbursement if there is a delay. But at the moment it only allows you to "bet" on a two hour delay. In Australia Chubb have a product called "connect" which allows you to bet on a half hour delay. But you need to be an Australian citizen to get it.

If I could I'd book the dodgy transfer, and bet 40 euro on a half hour delay. If the Emirates flight came in late, I'd miss the connection, but get a few hundred euro to stay in an airport hotel and fly early the next morning. That'd be a perfect world.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,900 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

"Internal to Fuk"
    I thought you were adding a lot of emphasis to the fact it's an internal flight, there :)

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

A potential solution might be to book on Expedia or one of the online travel agencies and include the jetstar flight in the one pnr
    Just tag it on as a multi city booking

Emirates do have a baggage interline agreement with jetstar so they might even offer the flight as a tag on

The itinerary might be dearer that way though
    But then it's a weigh up

At least if because of a delay then,the airline will send your bags to your hotel the next day if you make the flight and your bags don't

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Mortelaro wrote: »
    A potential solution might be to book on Expedia or one of the online travel agencies and include the jetstar flight in the one pnr
    Just tag it on as a multi city booking

Emirates do have a baggage interline agreement with jetstar so they might even offer the flight as a tag on

The itinerary might be dearer that way though
    But then it's a weigh up

At least if because of a delay then,the airline will send your bags to your hotel the next day if you make the flight and your bags don't

Book through Kiwi and they'll cover it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Hi all, just wondering can I buy cans of beer/cider & bring them back in the Aircraft hold in my checked luggage? Just wondering as I’m going to the UK & want to bring back some canned flavoured ciders for myself & a friend.

Is this an issue especially with the likes of aircraft pressure? I’m guessing it isn’t as people bring cans of deo with them on the hold all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Yes you can

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

You should be fine once its in the hold. Different story with carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Yeah no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I've even brought such things to US

If you can bring them there with all their security, you can bring them to the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Just make sure to wrap them in plastic in case they brust in the hold had this happen once

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

You could even check in a single can :)

Remember the advice "only bring the essentials".

• Registered Users Posts: 68,803 ✭✭✭✭L1011

jjbrien wrote: »
    Just make sure to wrap them in plastic in case they brust in the hold had this happen once

Had a burst that even two ziplocks werne't enough to stop - bringing Guinness to someone in Portugal who wanted "Irish Guinness" (its the same stuff they have there, ffs).

That said, my bag misconnected in CDG so it went on at least one extra flight to get to me if not more, so it had more pressurisation cycles and being bumped around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Thank you all so kindly for the replies, I was just very unsure as I didnt know about the aircraft hold & carrying pressure items in there that you cant bring into the cabin with you but can be kept in your suitcase down below, but I just had to ask to be certain & it had me thinking about cans of deo that must travel there all the time.

Maybe a silly thing to ask but just wanted to be sure.

Advertisement