Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Hello all

Are you still allowed 10kg bag with ryanair for free once it goes into the hold? Does this happen at the gate or does it need to be checked in at check in desk?

For instance i am travelling with non priority so I understand I can bring a small cabin bag 40x20x25 8kg on board. However can i still bring a 10kg 55x20x40 bag and put it under the hold at the gate? I do not want to bring it in the cabin, or does this cost now?

Thanks

d

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

dzilla wrote: »
    Hello all

Are you still allowed 10kg bag with ryanair for free once it goes into the hold? Does this happen at the gate or does it need to be checked in at check in desk?

For instance i am travelling with non priority so I understand I can bring a small cabin bag 40x20x25 8kg on board. However can i still bring a 10kg 55x20x40 bag and put it under the hold at the gate? I do not want to bring it in the cabin, or does this cost now?

Thanks

d

All changed again a while back. 8Kg small bag is free. Next option is priority boarding with 2 bags, that gives you the 8Kg and a 10 Kg bag in the cabin with you, at a cost, or the other option is to pre pay to check in the 10 Kg bag BEFORE SECURITY, and then collect it from the belt at the destination, with the advantage of being able to put larger liquids in that bag, again, at a cost. There is no longer a gate drop option for larger bags, and if you take a larger bag to the gate, or it's overweight, you will get hammered price wise.

The prices vary depending on the destination, the number that have already taken the option, and which way the wind is blowing!

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/31908620/ba-flight-forced-to-land-early-because-of-smelly-poo

Would they have to have dumped most of the fuel during this landing ?
    I heard they need to as its dangerous to land with a full tank ... what a waste if true ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/31908620/ba-flight-forced-to-land-early-because-of-smelly-poo

Would they have to have dumped most of the fuel during this landing ?
    I heard they need to as its dangerous to land with a full tank ... what a waste if true ..

Yeah possibly, 7hrs on a 747 isn't too long tho so its possible it took off below its max landing weight so wouldn't have needed to dump fuel. But yes its a waste when it happens, but its a necessary evil! Its cheaper to dump fuel and write it off then land overweight possibly damaging the airframe. of which repairs will cost a helluva lot more than the fuel lost to dumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

but its a necessary evil! Its cheaper to dump fuel and write it off then land overweight possibly damaging the airframe
    They can land at almost the weight as they takeoff at. Fuel dumping is nice to have but not 100% a necessity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,898 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

All the fuel burned during that trip to nowhere will have been wasted, too.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

All changed again a while back. 8Kg small bag is free. Next option is priority boarding with 2 bags, that gives you the 8Kg and a 10 Kg bag in the cabin with you, at a cost, or the other option is to pre pay to check in the 10 Kg bag BEFORE SECURITY, and then collect it from the belt at the destination, with the advantage of being able to put larger liquids in that bag, again, at a cost. There is no longer a gate drop option for larger bags, and if you take a larger bag to the gate, or it's overweight, you will get hammered price wise.

The prices vary depending on the destination, the number that have already taken the option, and which way the wind is blowing!

Thank you very much that clears that up for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

smurfjed wrote: »
    They can land at almost the weight as they takeoff at. Fuel dumping is nice to have but not 100% a necessity

Yeah, plus not very model has fuel dumping facilities. Some just have to circle to burn fuel. So mightn’t always be an option or possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Yeah, plus not very model has fuel dumping facilities. Some just have to circle to burn fuel. So mightn’t always be an option or possible
    Actually they don't have to burn fuel, look at FAA FAR 25.1001 regarding requirements for fuel jettison system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

I've a layover in Heathrow this week, and also need to transfer from T2 to T5. I was thinking that it would be good to run from T2 to T5 to squeeze in a work out in a busy week.

Quick look on google maps seems to show its impossible to get out of T2 on foot to the perimeter roads, can anyone on here trump that info? Surely it's possible to walk to T2?

crisco10 wrote: »
    I've a layover in Heathrow this week, and also need to transfer from T2 to T5. I was thinking that it would be good to run from T2 to T5 to squeeze in a work out in a busy week.

Quick look on google maps seems to show its impossible to get out of T2 on foot to the perimeter roads, can anyone on here trump that info? Surely it's possible to walk to T2?

Just so I understand the question, you are a passenger transferring from T2 to T5 and you'd like to run along the perimeter road - airside? Have I got that right?

Just so I understand the question, you are a passenger transferring from T2 to T5 and you'd like to run along the perimeter road - airside? Have I got that right?

Almost, was going to do it Landside. Yes, I am a passenger transferring from T2 to T5. My point is probably confused because at Heathrow there is a road called "perimeter road" which is a public road.

Something like this, except on foot basically.

https://goo.gl/maps/57KPRQxUqmYeXFrw8

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

crisco10 wrote: »

It's not possible to get out from T2/T3 on foot. You can take a local bus for free out through the tunnel and then you can run the rest of the way. I'm not sure how reliable/continuous pavements are on the perimeter road, you may be better to use A4/Bath Road instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

God love the person sitting beside you :pac:

God love the person sitting beside you :pac:

Lol, have done it plenty of times before. a) keep the pace down b) not a sweaty person c) I change my clothes and d) baby wipe showers are very effective!

Schipol has a (relatively) lovely cycle track that follows the airfield perimeter. Had great fun spotting and running the other week - you even run under the taxiways. Much better than sitting around eating over priced food and bad coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

The walkway in the tunnel is being upgraded so the walkway and cycle path is closed. You can take one of the local buses for free and then run the rest of the way. There's a path on the premier road until Hertz and I would then go over to Bath road, through Longford, Over the bus only bridge and then up to T5.

People have been known to run the walkways in T5 from A to C. Which is indoors and quiet :) Its 670M long so do that 8ish times and you have 5km.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Then make sure and use the showers in the T5 departure lounge afterwards ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Eire girl

Does anyone know the best way/time to check in with Ryanair to avoid being given the middle seat?
    I remember there were some theories about it before but can't find them now... Any ideas? Cheers...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Eire girl wrote: »
    Does anyone know the best way/time to check in with Ryanair to avoid being given the middle seat?
    I remember there were some theories about it before but can't find them now... Any ideas? Cheers...

Leave it till the last minute, or at least that's what I do. Got seat 1C recently, for free.

Not guaranteed to work, but it's a while since I've had a middle seat.

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Leave it till the last minute, or at least that's what I do. Got seat 1C recently, for free.

Not guaranteed to work, but it's a while since I've had a middle seat.

Thanks, do you mean like the day before?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Eire girl wrote: »
    Thanks, do you mean like the day before?

The flights I've been on, check in was up to 2 hours before, so I'd do it maybe 3 or 4 hours before.

Not sure the 2 hours rule applies to all their flights, but basically I'd check in at most a couple of hours before the limit.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    The flights I've been on, check in was up to 2 hours before, so I'd do it maybe 3 or 4 hours before.

Not sure the 2 hours rule applies to all their flights, but basically I'd check in at most a couple of hours before the limit.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

The easiest way to check if there are middle seats remaining is to pretend to buy a seat and you will see what seats are remaining that way.

The check in limit is 2 hours which is strictly enforced. I wouldn't wait that close to the deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Hi all,

I'm flying to LAX with EI on Monday at 3.30 pm, how busy should I expect security and pre clearance to be at that time?

Just figuring out what time to arrive at the airport, I'm under no time pressure so getting there a bit early is fine with me, I also have a pass for the lounge after pre clearance so can kill time there if need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭NSAman

Neilw wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm flying to LAX with EI on Monday at 3.30 pm, how busy should I expect security and pre clearance to be at that time?

Just figuring out what time to arrive at the airport, I'm under no time pressure so getting there a bit early is fine with me, I also have a pass for the lounge after pre clearance so can kill time there if need be.

Neil 3.30 is one of the last planes. Its quietened down considerably since the summer crazies...If you are flying business 2 hours prior is fine. If not, just add a few minutes extra as the lines in main check in can be longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

I'm flying Dublin to Istanbul and connecting to Delhi with Turkish airlines.
    Does anyone know what planes they use on those route's and what the ife is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

NSAman wrote: »
    Neil 3.30 is one of the last planes. Its quietened down considerably since the summer crazies...If you are flying business 2 hours prior is fine. If not, just add a few minutes extra as the lines in main check in can be longer.

Oh that's good news, thanks for that :)

I'll get there for 12.30 and be able to have a look around duty free or have a pre departure drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Does anyone know what planes they use on those route's and what the ife is like?

Put your flight numbers into Seatguru to find the aircraft type.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

It'll be a 737 to Istanbul with screens in the seats with the usual movies and tv

To Delhi,probably a 777 or an Airbus A330
    Same IFE

Go onto google flights for your dates and do a dummy booking
    Scroll down to the turkish option and once selected, tap the flight info which will tell you

https://youtu.be/KvrNXFtY1R0

https://youtu.be/W1V55grJekk

Advertisement