Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

whats the last London-Dub of a Thu/Fri evening ? It looks like the 2205 STN , and/or the 2130 from LGW

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

trellheim wrote: »
    whats the last London-Dub of a Thu/Fri evening ? It looks like the 2205 STN , and/or the 2130 from LGW

Correct.

DAA timetable is useful for this kind of question.

https://www.dublinairport.com/docs/default-source/flight-timetables-and-schedules/dublin-airport-winter-timetable-2019.pdf?sfvrsn=e392e137_2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

I did look at that but was caught out once by a flight not operating so better to ask here as well

• Registered Users Posts: 24 purdy1984

Dublin Airport Lounge in T1 is it worth the €25 going away next week and wife suggested it. I've never used a lounge anywhere before. Any ideas what's included? Food or Drink?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

purdy1984 wrote: »
    Dublin Airport Lounge in T1 is it worth the €25 going away next week and wife suggested it. I've never used a lounge anywhere before. Any ideas what's included? Food or Drink?

Food and drink included. Food it’s generally pastries/scones and jam. Sandwiches and nuts. Drinks Heineken/Guinness, red/white wine, gin/whiskey/vodka + usual mixers and usual soft drinks.

As to if it’s worth it, it really depends how much you eat/drink and value a quiet area before your flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 purdy1984

Food and drink included. Food it’s generally pastries/scones and jam. Sandwiches and nuts. Drinks Heineken/Guinness, red/white wine, gin/whiskey/vodka + usual mixers and usual soft drinks.

As to if it’s worth it, it really depends how much you eat/drink and value a quiet area before your flight.

I do like quiet before hand normally get the fast track for that reason.. a few drinks and a sandwich maybe get one for the plane could be well worth it. Thanks for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

It's a pretty bad lounge as these places go. It's ok if it's included in your ticket but I'd never pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Silly questions incoming....

Have booked business class to Tokyo in September. The Dublin-Heathrow leg is economy (I'm guessing because it's a Saturday flight) - will I still get to use fast track and enjoy the glorified canteen that is the lounge?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

shar01 wrote: »
    Silly questions incoming....

Have booked business class to Tokyo in September. The Dublin-Heathrow leg is economy (I'm guessing because it's a Saturday flight) - will I still get to use fast track and enjoy the glorified canteen that is the lounge?

Thanks

Who have you booked with? How did you book it?
    I'm guessing that the Dublin London leg is on Aer Lingus?
    Usually that on a business ticket is booked into their new aerspace seats which is basically the front few rows of the plane with no one allowed in the middle seat and with a free choice of food and drink from the bia menu
    Call the airline and choose your seat, insist on the front two rows and you should get that but no guarantees as the London route is busy so on a transfer ticket, even onward to business, its first come first served
    The airline might ask you to call aerlingus or say they can't assign, but if you ring aer lingus, they will
    There will be no fee
    Get the Aer lingus pnr (passenger numerical reference) from whoever you bought the ticket and explain you need it for aer lingus to assign a seat

You'll probably not have access to the Aer Lingus lounge in Dublin but you are not missing much there
    You will have a business lounge in London which could be quite good depending on what airline you are traveling with
    If its BA, then it's a galleries club in T5
    If Japan airlines, you can lounge hop between the cathay Pacific business and BA galleries club lounge
    Under one world alliance lounge access rules, you're allowed both, so state that at the cathay entrance, but you shouldn't have to, they'll know

If it's virgin upper class, you've lucked out and will have the excellent virgin club house, you'll be impressed with that one, though galleries club and cathay are way better than a canteen but will be crowded
    Just not as crowded as the terminal and you can eat and drink as much as you want
    None of those lounges are like the Dublin lounges which are rubbish
    Although the new Dublin East lounge (Qatar ethiad and emerates only atm but soon if not already cathay) has hot food and table service with a menu and a cocktail bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

If you get to the airport early it's certainly worth it. I usually find that by the time you've had something to eat and a drink you'll have spent the guts of €15 anyway. It's quiet and relatively relaxing, a bar with beers, wines and spirits, sandwiches, cheeses, dips and snacks, tea and coffee. You'd need to be there about 90 mins beforehand to make it worthwhile and if you're flying ryanair they won't announce your gate so you need to leave fairly promptly as it's 10-15 minute walk to the far end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Dublin Airport Lounge in T1

Personally I wouldn't go out of my way to use it unless you are planning on arriving early and want to make a point of going there. Likewise, if you don't usually eat or drink at the airport, it's not worth it. It's not exactly first-rate in terms of decor and ambience, and don't expect white-glove service as it often the perception of lounges.

The food is basic snacks and drinks. If you will be hungry and want a meal, go elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I happened to be in DUB over 4 hours early yesterday so ended up in T1 lounge and found for the length of time I was hanging around it was good - better than the Aer Lingus lounge. I had a nice pod to sit in to myself where I could plug the laptop and other bits in the charge and get a good bit of work done while having a “free” bar on hand. Sandwiches, wraps, crackers and cheese, crisps and some cake things and fruit. Soft drinks and a barista at the bar. If you’re not there hours early and/or want a big meal then dont bother. But if you have too much time to kill, want somewhere quiet to work and/or want a good few drinks then I think it’s worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

The Dublin Airport T1 lounge isn't bad. It's certainly better than the Aer Lingus lounge which is the worst I've been to. It's obviously not going to be as good as the top airline business/frequent flyer lounges but for a contract lounge it's fairly standard. I thought the selection of food and drinks was good enough.
    BigMoose wrote: »
    Sandwiches, wraps, crackers and cheese, crisps and some cake things and fruit. Soft drinks and a barrister at the bar.

It must be the only lounge to have a barrister!

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Who have you booked with? How did you book it?
    I'm guessing that the Dublin London leg is on Aer Lingus?
    Usually that on a business ticket is booked into their new aerspace seats which is basically the front few rows of the plane with no one allowed in the middle seat and with a free choice of food and drink from the bia menu
    Call the airline and choose your seat, insist on the front two rows and you should get that but no guarantees as the London route is busy so on a transfer ticket, even onward to business, its first come first served
    The airline might ask you to call aerlingus or say they can't assign, but if you ring aer lingus, they will
    There will be no fee
    Get the Aer lingus pnr (passenger numerical reference) from whoever you bought the ticket and explain you need it for aer lingus to assign a seat

You'll probably not have access to the Aer Lingus lounge in Dublin but you are not missing much there
    You will have a business lounge in London which could be quite good depending on what airline you are traveling with
    If its BA, then it's a galleries club in T5
    If Japan airlines, you can lounge hop between the cathay Pacific business and BA galleries club lounge
    Under one world alliance lounge access rules, you're allowed both, so state that at the cathay entrance, but you shouldn't have to, they'll know

If it's virgin upper class, you've lucked out and will have the excellent virgin club house, you'll be impressed with that one, though galleries club and cathay are way better than a canteen but will be crowded
    Just not as crowded as the terminal and you can eat and drink as much as you want
    None of those lounges are like the Dublin lounges which are rubbish
    Although the new Dublin East lounge (Qatar ethiad and emerates only atm but soon if not already cathay) has hot food and table service with a menu and a cocktail bar.

Thanks for the detailed reply. It was booked with British Airways and during the booking process, it was stated the the Dublin-London legs were economy - the 7.30am departure which is code share with Aer Lingus . When we did the same journey in 2018 the Dub-London legs were business class but then we travelled mid-week.

The lounge in Dublin and the short hop doesn't bother me but I'll be mightily disappointed if we can't use Heathrow lounge on the way back. I'll ask on the BA website.

Thanks for the detailed reply. It was booked with British Airways and during the booking process, it was stated the the Dublin-London legs were economy - the 7.30am departure which is code share with Aer Lingus . When we did the same journey in 2018 the Dub-London legs were business class but then we travelled mid-week.

The lounge in Dublin and the short hop doesn't bother me but I'll be mightily disappointed if we can't use Heathrow lounge on the way back. I'll ask on the BA website.

You've only one choice on the way back in London and that's the BA T 5 arrivals lounge because your last leg is in T2
    If you've a few hours lay over and arrive in the morning, do that
    It has a spa and shower facilities and a full fry up breakfast To use it, you'll have to exit security and passport control and go to the T5 arrivals area which is why you'll need a long enough layover because when you're done you'll have to make your way over to T2 for your aer lingus

Its a pity you picked this combination of flights because in the list on ba. Com in my experience, a BA to BA connection is always there usually the same price
    That would have been neater and guaranteed real business class (club Europe) on BA Dublin London, definite lounge access in Dublin too and a nicer less hassle easier transfer, start and finish to the trip

The arrivals lounge at T 5 is very good though, so use that for a shower and food but remember it closes at 130pm or thereabouts so only an option if you've a morning arrival and at least a 3 hour layover

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

If your flights are in any way flexible, you should see if you could change to a BA flight for your Dublin - London legs. It makes for a much more seamless experience (T5 arrival and departure) and also you'll get the benefit of BA business class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Why on earth would anyone use EI when going BA from LHR?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

AerClub?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Remember that all EI flights have a BA codeshare flight number.

Many people not versed in the operations on the route and terminals at Heathrow just won’t notice that the connecting flight is operated by Aer Lingus when booking, they’ll just take the time that suits them.

Moral of story - if flying onwards with BA from LHR, check the terminal there and if it’s Terminal 5 then pick a BA operated flight from Dublin.

That way you get Club Europe service and arrive into T5.

(Some BA flights are from T3 and Aer Lingus would be a handier connection).

MJohnston wrote: »
    AerClub?

That would be silly
    More avios on BA and quicker and better status

People just book and don't know

• Advertisement

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    If your flights are in any way flexible, you should see if you could change to a BA flight for your Dublin - London legs. It makes for a much more seamless experience (T5 arrival and departure) and also you'll get the benefit of BA business class.

Theres a 24hr free change and cancel policy on BA booked direct on BA.com

Beyond that,the standard lowest busines fare change fee is around €300 per person per sector
    Ei is probably lower,I dont know but as it's an ask for a change to BA and a BA purchased ticket,it will be their fare rules
    Worth a call though as the fee might be lower for club Europe but it depends on many things

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

That would be silly

People just book and don't know

There is also Aer Lingus flights most hours, so on the face of it, they allow you to pick the "ideal" time to fly. Where as BA flights are less frequent.

And depending where they booked, the "operated by..." might not have been overly obvious. It also takes a LHR frequent flyer to look at terminals and realise T2 means an EI flight.

That would be silly

It's not silly at all — I do the majority of my air travel between DUB and SFO, and so I value status on AerClub much more than I would any other program. If I was then to book a trip to Tokyo, I'd most certainly look for a way to collect AerClub points rather than wasting them on a program I'd otherwise rarely use.

It's not silly at all — I do the majority of my air travel between DUB and SFO, and so I value status on AerClub much more than I would any other program. If I was then to book a trip to Tokyo, I'd most certainly look for a way to collect AerClub points rather than wasting them on a program I'd otherwise rarely use.
    I look at it this way,if my company paid for business class travel to San francisco,I'd be insisting on it being booked on American because it's cheaper and theres more avios
    I'd be either in Americans programme or British airways
    I would not waste my time on the practically useless (relative to the other 2) Aer club because it's not in any alliance so has a limited much poorer frequent flyer set of choices versus most others
    A 2 or 3 hour lay over in a decent admiral's club lounge wouldn't bother me,its beneficial actually

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

Avios: If you credit a BA business class trip to BA you'll usually earn far more Avios than you would if you credit the trip to AerClub, and you can pool them with your AerClub Avios anyway.
    Tier Points: There's no way to earn AerClub tier points on a BA ticket so this is not a factor.

I look at it this way,if my company paid for business class travel to San francisco,I'd be insisting on it being booked on American because it's cheaper and theres more avios
    I'd be either in Americans programme or British airways
    I would not waste my time on the practically useless (relative to the other 2) Aer club because it's not in any alliance so has a limited much poorer frequent flyer set of choices versus most others
    A 2 or 3 hour lay over in a decent admiral's club lounge wouldn't bother me,its beneficial actually

That all sounds lovely for you, and I'm glad your happy with your process! Please don't call other people silly for choosing a different one.

steve-o wrote: »
    Avios: If you credit a BA business class trip to BA you'll usually earn far more Avios than you would if you credit the trip to AerClub, and you can pool them with your AerClub Avios anyway.

I've found it exceptionally difficult to pool my Executive Club Avios with my AerClub ones actually - any tips?

That all sounds lovely for you, and I'm glad your happy with your process! Please don't call other people silly for choosing a different one.

Saying something done is silly and calling a person silly are not the same

I just said it was silly to spend more money to fly somewhere for inferior benefits in reply to suggesting flying on BA longhaul taking a leg on EI was for aerclub

Lots of people doing it though without knowing and why would they know

I've found it exceptionally difficult to pool my Executive Club Avios with my AerClub ones actually - any tips?

Use the combine my avios tool

• Advertisement

Use the combine my avios tool

Last time I tried that, you could only send AerClub to BA.

Advertisement