Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

smalltalk wrote: »
    Hi,I have flights to Spain booked with Ryanair leaving from Cork Airport in September.I have read that Ryanair will not be reopening their base in Cork until winter because of runway works in the airport,does this mean that all Ryanair flights will be cancelled or just early morning departures and late evening arrivals.
    My outgoing flight leaves midmorning and return is in the afternoon.
    If anyone has any information let me know.
    Of course I have emailed Ryanair, obviously have had no reply.

They may use an aircraft based at your destination! A mid morning departure would suggest as much!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sayno

I am flying to Birmingham at the weekend to visit a sick family member. As far as I understood there was no need for a test travelling into the UK but I have just received a text from Ryanair telling me I need a test taken 72 hour before travelling. Is this just a text they send out to everyone travelling into UK from across Europe.
    Thanks for any insight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

You need a test coming into Ireland certainly and then 5 days isolation after arrival and a further test to release you

https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control/before-you-leave-for-the-uk
    When you do not need to provide a negative coronavirus test
    You do not need a test if you’re travelling:

within the UK, the Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey
    from Ireland
    from Ascension, Falkland Islands or St Helena

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭smalltalk

They may use an aircraft based at your destination! A mid morning departure would suggest as much!

Thanks for the reply!!:) Am I right in thinking that the works take place at night and normal airport operations .continue during the daytime

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sayno

You need a test coming into Ireland certainly and then 5 days isolation after arrival and a further test to release you

https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control/before-you-leave-for-the-uk
    Thankyou

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

sayno wrote: »
    I am flying to Birmingham at the weekend to visit a sick family member. As far as I understood there was no need for a test travelling into the UK but I have just received a text from Ryanair telling me I need a test taken 72 hour before travelling. Is this just a text they send out to everyone travelling into UK from across Europe.
    Thanks for any insight

I was of the impression that tests were required to board the aircraft itself, not just upon arrival?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

What is the situation with the mandatory quarantine? I am in Brazil now having got out when I could away from the miseryfest at home of lockdown but will be returning to Ireland in 4-6 weeks time for summer as the restrictions lift, there was an initial surge of fury a while back against travel and I wondered have they found another scapegoat yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Tenger wrote: »
    I was of the impression that tests were required to board the aircraft itself, not just upon arrival?

Not from Ireland as far as I know

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

theguzman wrote: »
    What is the situation with the mandatory quarantine? I am in Brazil now having got out when I could away from the miseryfest at home of lockdown but will be returning to Ireland in 4-6 weeks time for summer as the restrictions lift, there was an initial surge of fury a while back against travel and I wondered have they found another scapegoat yet?

LoL at leaving Ireland to escape covid problems and going to Brazil of all the places on gods earth :D :rolleyes:
    You’ll have to hotel quarantine upon return. Europe is trying to set up a euro travel bubble by later on in the summer, the last thing we need is the Brazilian variant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Locker10a wrote: »
    LoL at leaving Ireland to escape covid problems and going to Brazil of all the places on gods earth :D :rolleyes:
    You’ll have to hotel quarantine upon return. Europe is trying to set up a euro travel bubble by later on in the summer, the last thing we need is the Brazilian variant

There is no need for him to waste good money. There are perfectly legal means to re-enter the ROI and to self isolate in accordance with the law without funding third parties in order to ease the optics .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

basill wrote: »
    There is no need for him to waste good money. There are perfectly legal means to re-enter the ROI and to self isolate in accordance with the law without funding third parties in order to ease the optics .

No there aren't. He is returning from Brazil, a country specifically included in the law that mandates hotel quarantine, and with good reason. Flying into Belfast and driving down is not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Caranica wrote: »
    No there aren't. He is returning from Brazil, a country specifically included in the law that mandates hotel quarantine, and with good reason. Flying into Belfast and driving down is not on.

You cannot just fly into Belfast from Brazil, because a) there is no direct flights from Brazil to Belfast, b) All persons entering the United Kingdom from Brazil have to undergo mandatory hotel quarantine at a cost of £2,000 per person. c) there are no direct flights from Brazil to London or any part of the UK presently. What you have described is actually happening in reverse as people leaving Brazil (with visas or EU passports) are able to enter the UK via the ROI and the NI border presently as the UK is far more locked down than Ireland is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

theguzman wrote: »
    You cannot just fly into Belfast from Brazil, because a) there is no direct flights from Brazil to Belfast, b) All persons entering the United Kingdom from Brazil have to undergo mandatory hotel quarantine at a cost of £2,000 per person. c) there are no direct flights from Brazil to London or any part of the UK presently. What you have described is actually happening in reverse as people leaving Brazil (with visas or EU passports) are able to enter the UK via the ROI and the NI border presently as the UK is far more locked down than Ireland is.

If you know all that why did you ask the question and why don't you know that mandatory hotel quarantine will apply to you on arrival in Dublin?

If your normally resident in Ireland then you can quarantine at home and won’t be required to stay in a hotel. I don’t actually think the hotel part is even enacted yet anyway.

If your normally resident in Ireland then you can quarantine at home and won’t be required to stay in a hotel. I don’t actually think the hotel part is even enacted yet anyway.

There's no exemption for someone normally resident in Ireland.

The law has been enacted but they're still faffing about setting it up. The OP could indeed be back here before that happens.

There's no exemption for someone normally resident in Ireland.

The law has been enacted but they're still faffing about setting it up. The OP could indeed be back here before that happens.

Ah right! I was wondering myself! I have a friend who came home from Brazil last week and arrived as normal and was expecting to be carted off to a hotel but nope, nothing, nada! So went home and has been there ever since

Mandatory hotel quarantine comes into effect on Friday for all travellers from designated countries (which includes all of South America). €1875 for 12 nights payable in advance for a stay at the Crowne Plaza.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hey lads, may be the wrong thread for this. But anyway.

My OH is US citizen with residency here. She is HomeSick AF and wants to head home for a while. No bother for her really, she just books a flight and shows up.

I am Irish, and therefore cannot do that. Is it possible at all for me to go the USA? I was thinking of working remotely from their for 8 weeks or so and living with her.

I was wondering if it's possible to fly to an intermediary destination like Mexico or something for two weeks, then fly on to the USA, because their restrictions only bar people who have been in Ireland / EU in the past 14 days?

errlloyd wrote: »

My OH is US citizen with residency here. She is HomeSick AF and wants to head home for a while. No bother for her really, she just books a flight and shows up.

I am Irish, and therefore cannot do that. Is it possible at all for me to go the USA? I was thinking of working remotely from their for 8 weeks or so and living with her.

I was wondering if it's possible to fly to an intermediary destination like Mexico or something for two weeks, then fly on to the USA, because their restrictions only bar people who have been in Ireland / EU in the past 14 days?

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/united-states-looks-set-lift-23800270

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

At the moment you aren’t permitted to travel to the US. It’s rumoured that this may change in May. (6 weeks away8

The Mexico option might be feasible. However they may have their own restrictions in place for Irish/EU travellers. What’s you visa situation, because they aren’t giving Out ESTAs at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

You're not married, are you? I believe that the spouse of US citizens can enter the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

I know 2 people who did this (a different intermediate destination for each, one via Mexico, One via Peru)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭NSAman

Tenger wrote: »
    At the moment you aren’t permitted to travel to the US. It’s rumoured that this may change in May. (6 weeks away8

The Mexico option might be feasible. However they may have their own restrictions in place for Irish/EU travellers. What’s you visa situation, because they aren’t giving Out ESTAs at the moment.

My understanding is (and don’t quote me) green card holders and is citizens only. Special request has to be made to the us embassy for other visa holders to enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

NSAman wrote: »
    My understanding is (and don’t quote me) green card holders and is citizens only. Special request has to be made to the us embassy for other visa holders to enter.

I know a few people who have entered with marriage certificate as the spouse of US citizens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Hi all,

What are your opinions on travel to the USA late this year, end of November.
    Do you think our restrictions will be lifted by then?
    What about the closed border in the USA, will they start issuing esta’s again anytime soon?

I’m hoping to travel for a holiday around thanksgiving time.

Neilw wrote: »
    Hi all,

What about the closed border in the USA, will they start issuing esta’s again anytime soon?

I would say yea, by November with the level of vacation in the US and Europe i think travel will be open

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

Hi all,

Sort of in the same boat here except I've a few nights in NYC booked for September. Not sure if I should push the dates back while I still can now or risk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Hi all,

Seems to be looking more positive for travel now, still see USA borders are closed, not issuing esta’s.
    Hoping that will change soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

I would suggest you read the fineprint on what the government actually announced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

Is Quickpark re-opening?

Advertisement