Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of flying UA from Heathrow to USA. Planning to travel to Chicago and then on to Vegas with them. 3 day stopover in Chicago.

Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of flying UA from Heathrow to USA. Planning to travel to Chicago and then on to Vegas with them. 3 day stopover in Chicago.

Thanks

I assume you're flying economy, if so then just expect a basic economy long haul flight, food and drink provided, a seat back TV, nothing exceptional just an ordinary flight, their domestic flights are much the same as our European flights, you can expect to pay for drinks and have hand luggage gate checked etc. Little or nothing in the way of inflight entertainment

Locker10a wrote: »
    I assume you're flying economy, if so then just expect a basic economy long haul flight, food and drink provided, a seat back TV, nothing exceptional just an ordinary flight, their domestic flights are much the same as our European flights, you can expect to pay for drinks and have hand luggage gate checked etc. Little or nothing in the way of inflight entertainment

Thank you ex Heathrow what would you consider to be the best carriers economy class wise?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Thank you ex Heathrow what would you consider to be the best carriers economy class wise?

Depends where you're going, generally speaking most people tend to rate BA and Virgin above the American carriers for service on transatlantic flights, Air New Zealand I think still fly from Heathrow to LA or San Fran, and have an excellent reputation.
    For me aircraft type, more specifically cabin layout is what I fell is important! But this depends on personal preference.
    For example I am looking at going to California after the summer, I don't mind so much what airline I fly with however for an 11 hour flight i'd prefer to sit in a 2 seat row as opposed to 3 seat row! Some airline seat there economy cabin 3-3-3, some 3-4-3 and some 2-4-2.
    As there are two of us travelling id prefer to have just the 2 seats to ourselves, and I tend to go with the option that will allow that! From heathrow that would be the upper deck of the BA A380(economy) or a Virgin A340/330(economy)

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

Just wondering if anyone could tell me if there is pre clearance for the US when flying out of Dublin airport?
    Going next week and not really sure what I have to do.
    I have the Esta application done weeks ago.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

howyanow wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone could tell me if there is pre clearance for the US when flying out of Dublin airport?
    Thanks

Yes there is for all flights except the Ethiopian flights to Los Angeles.

howyanow wrote: »
    Thanks

Yea there is and it's extremely efficient and time saving at the other side.

As an aside to this if I'm flying dub-Heathrow-USA I take it that clearance is done when I land in the states?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

As an aside to this if I'm flying dub-Heathrow-USA I take it that clearance is done when I land in the states?
    Yes that's correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Not really to be honest, can be very slow in DUB compared to the US but can be very slow in the US compared to DUB, depends on where you are going and at what time

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

billie1b wrote: »
    Not really to be honest, can be very slow in DUB compared to the US but can be very slow in the US compared to DUB, depends on where you are going and at what time

Saturday midday flight to Boston, will that time make it any quicker or not?will try get to airport for 8.30 to get queuing early

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I think the main congestion with CBP in Dublin is mid morning, pre the first wave of deparures. You got 3-4 EI flites, with another 3-4 US carriers all departing between 1045-1200.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Doing my usual stint on an A332. Have EI changed the engines? Sitting over the wing. It wasn't giving off its usual whirring during take off. Maybe it's in my head though.

faceman wrote: »
    Doing my usual stint on an A332. Have EI changed the engines? Sitting over the wing. It wasn't giving off its usual whirring during take off. Maybe it's in my head though.

No change of engine type...thats a big deal. Maybe its just out of service? Maybe its a lower than usual T/O setting? DUB-SFO I assume?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Tenger wrote: »
    No change of engine type...thats a big deal. Maybe its just out of service? Maybe its a lower than usual T/O setting? DUB-SFO I assume?

Maybe it's a bit further back than normal seating wise and it's just perception. Thought it was different. Yeah. Full flight.

Incidentally how's the weather on the route? I hear the US isn't pleasant in the sky today? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

You arent used to sitting that close to the engines :):)

faceman wrote: »
    Incidentally how's the weather on the route? I hear the US isn't pleasant in the sky today? :eek:
    Jetstream over central Canada, just west of Hudson bay. http://squall.sfsu.edu/gif/jetstream_init_00.gif

There another over Southern Greenland but ye may be further north than it.
    http://squall.sfsu.edu/gif/jetstream_atl_init_00.gif

Tenger wrote: »
    Jetstream over central Canada, just west of Hudson bay. http://squall.sfsu.edu/gif/jetstream_init_00.gif

There another over Southern Greenland but ye may be further north than it.
    http://squall.sfsu.edu/gif/jetstream_atl_init_00.gif

Oh dear. Think we're going to fly over southern Greenland. Looks like the second half of flight will be unpleasant. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I have been asked to bring a slab of Guinness to an event in Portugal (but flying to SCQ).

I know you can buy 8 packs in T2 (for an extortionate price) so cans are clearly OK but is 24 in hold luggage pushing it?

Might not be worth the hassle. Whats the weight of 24 cans?
    500ml=500g, x24= 12kg....plus the bag and clothes. You are looking at a 20kg bag. I would have each can wrapped in an item of clothing in case of spillage.
    Is there an issue with the widget cans in an unpressurised/cabin pressure environment? I was under that impression. Could be very wrong of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm bringing an empty bag to bring back Lego so the weight isn't an issue. Could see the widgets possibly being problematic - didn't shake the cans in the shop to see if they were though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭adamob544

Just wondering, if I don't have a printer, what do I need to bring to the airport for a Ryanair flight? I haven't flown with them before and I was just wondering how it all works :P . Like do I check in online, print out a boarding pass with a self-check in at the airport, and head straight to security ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

adamob544 wrote: »
    Just wondering, if I don't have a printer, what do I need to bring to the airport for a Ryanair flight? I haven't flown with them before and I was just wondering how it all works :P . Like do I check in online, print out a boarding pass with a self-check in at the airport, and head straight to security ?

You NEED to check in online and you NEED to print out your passes in order to avoid fees. Go to an internet cafe/local library/ similar and print them off, if your stuck.

If you check in and print off your passes, proceed to the bag drop (A.K.A check-in desk) if you have checked in baggage. If you only have carry on luggage just proceed straight through security. The only thing you need in the airport is your passport and boarding pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

You need to find a place that will print your boarding pass or use the Ryanair app

Thanks for the replies guys :)
    So if I have the boarding pass from the Ryanair app, do I need to print anything at all? Can I pretty much do everything via the app?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

You do not need to print anything, just make your phone is charged and you can access the boarding pass in the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Carnacalla wrote: »
    You NEED to print out your passes in order to avoid fees

There is an alternative method and far easier in my opinion. If you have a smart phone, just download the Ryanair App. Check in through the App and download your electronic tickets on to your phone.

Just present your phone with the "ticket" displayed at Security and the Boarding desk and Bon Voyage.

Its that simple!

Ah grand :) . If I was to print something out, is it only the boarding pass? And you can't print that til like the week before departure or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ah grand :) . If I was to print something out, is it only the boarding pass? And you can't print that til like the week before departure or something?

Yes, only the boarding pass. Theres no other documents.

Personally, even if I was to use the mobile app, I would print my tickets out too. Smartphone, even higher range ones now days are unreliable, and I don't fancy being stuck in an airport unable to board my flight thanks to a faulty app/phone.

Thanks for the advice guys :) . Same, especially if you're getting a Ryanair flight it'd be a disaster haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Thanks for the advice guys :) . Same, especially if you're getting a Ryanair flight it'd be a disaster haha

At least you're not being stereotypical :rolleyes:

Advertisement