Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

Hey guys,

Flying Aer Lingus Belfast to LHR on Friday. Just wondering how strict they are in relation to the personal carry on bag?(not the 10kg allowance). Would I get away with a backpack or is it only something small like a laptop carrier? Cheers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Small back like ladies handbag or laptop bag, if you don’t have priority boarding then you’ve a free 10kg check in bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

Great, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A ladies handbag can be a very variable thing!

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

That’s why their website gives specific measurements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Going be flying with BA in the new year I take it I be going through T1 then down on to the 300s stands wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

Ah I haven't worked there in years just remember them parking on the 300s.

OK so heading away this weekend to the canaries what would security be like around 10am Saturday morning, And same for Sunday as a mate from work heading out that morning.

Would we need to purchase the express security tickets.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

Hi Folks,

I'm traveling to the US in early Jan 2022, but I've recently recovered from Covid.

I have a covid recovery cert from the HSE, does anybody know if I need any other docs.? apart from passport an esta obvs.

I've had a look at the CDC website, but it generic info and not specific to IRL. (seems to me anyway). Just want to be 100% sure on docs needed. Don't want to F this up at check in.

Any source I've looked at just points me to the CDC website, which seems to indicate the following?

·        HSE Covid recovery cert. (which I have)

·        Notice of a positive test. (which is a text from the HSE)

·        Doctors note stating I’m cleared to travel? (which I don’t have)

·        Or a combination of the above???

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭abff

I've just received an email from Ryanair telling me that the time of the return leg of a flight I have booked from Dublin to London at end January has been changed by just under 5 hours. The email says that I can either accept the change or move to another flight on the same day or the previous or following day, without paying a change fee or any fare difference.

Given the uncertainty around all travel plans at present due to COVID, I would prefer to be able to get a refund and then rebook the flights closer to the date if it looks like we will actually be able to travel. But this option is not listed in their email.

I had an idea in my head that flight changes of more than three hours give you the right to request a refund. But a Google search just now suggests that it is up to each airline to make its own rules. Is this correct, or is there overriding EU legislation to which Ryanair are subject? Or are we limited to the options outlined in Ryanair’s email?

I started a new thread earlier to ask the above question. It’s been moved here for some reason and I’m not hopeful of getting a response as many of the questions asked don’t seem to have received any replies. Is this yet another example of the new, improved boards?

Post edited by abff on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

Contact them through the chat to request a refund.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Mod Note - The reason is nothing to do with the "new" Boards, it's simply that you've chosen to ignore the forum charter, which has been in place for over 10 years, and the first paragraph is quoted below. On that basis, we move many posts into the general query thread.

First of all please note...If you'd like to ask about travelling, airline baggage info, times, schedules, destinations etc please ask at the Travel and Holidays Forum

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Point taken. Apologies if my comment was out of order.

I got onto chat today and they told me that I'm only entitled to a refund if the change is 5 hours or more. The relevant extract from their T&C is as follows:

if, before the date of travel:

•  we make a change of at least 5 hours to the scheduled departure time;
    • this is unacceptable to you; and
    • we cannot book you on an alternative flight which is acceptable to you;

You will be entitled to a full refund of all amounts you have paid to us in connection with that flight.

I thought it was three hours, but maybe they've changed it recently. I presume there's no overriding EU legislation that would prevent this?

Anyway, the fact that they changed the flight by 4 hours and 55 minutes is clearly deliberate to avoid triggering the refund clause. What's the betting the flight is not expected to leave on time?

Frustrating, but there's not much I can do about it. They keep sending reminder emails and I'm going to avoid responding to these until the last minute just in case there is a further change that would make me eligible for a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

Anybody know if Dublin Airport plan to open up flight connections in Terminal 1? Last few times I've gone through I was met with a sign saying it was closed and after asking staff was closed it was down to staffing issues - had to endure the long queues to go back through security.

Travelling LHR-DUB-KIR in next couple of weeks and wonder can I chance buying duty free in LHR or will I lose it, if flight connections closed and I'm forced through main T1 security?

Anyone know what the procedure would be buying duty free then having a connecting flight, The current routing would be JFK LHR DUB,Its nearly 20 years since I've last done a similar route and before the liquids ban came in to effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I think by default they put liquids in tamper proof bags where receipt is sealed within the bag. Ask for this to be done in JFK to be sure. This will then be accepted when going through security in LHR.

If it's a mainstream alcohol brand it could be cheaper buying it in duty free in LHR than JFK.

Thanks for the reply think it's some drink that they only sell in the US, Friend has asked me to get a bottle.

• Advertisement

Right so looks like I might have to swop flights and have to travel with American Airlines, Any idea what they are like to fly with? Regarding IFE/WiFi catering etc.

Last time i flew to the US was with EI to MCO were meals are provided but alcohol drinks you paid for.

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this query, but it relates to a Ryanair flight, so here goes.

We’re flying to Stansted next Friday and will be staying near Tottenham Hale. I was looking at the cost of tickets on the Stansted Express and it’s £54 for the two of us for return tickets. It’s not madly expensive, but nor is it particularly cheap. I remember you used to be able to book discounted tickets through Ryanair, but I can’t see this option on their website on on the manage your booking feature on my Ryanair app.

Are discounted tickets still available (I’ve haven’t managed to find anything by searching online) or are there less expensive alternatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭riddles

Hi booked a smart ticket with Aerlingus for a summer US trip to Florida. It says the flight can be cancelled and you get a refund voucher. Would like to cancel that and fly to NY instead which would be a cheaper flight. Do these vouchers have to be used in the year received? If I just changed the flight and there is a lower cost on the flight change do you get the balance in a voucher.

How long does it take for aer Lingus to process a voucher / refund?

thx

Post edited by riddles on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭riddles

check if your ticket has a refund - voucher can be requested to the value of the booking - takes maybe ten days to get processed and if valid for 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 16 L1649A

Is it possible to use an Irish Passport card when checking in using the Aer Lingus self service machines ?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Lufthansa sell flights ex Dub with a 45 minute connection in Frankfurt. Anyone any experience of it? Is it generally doable. Presumably there's a second immigration and security to clear as we're non schengen. Do they ever meet you at the door if you're running late?

KLM sell these kind of connections too! It obviously can be done and does work…. Some of the time… maybe even most of the time …

Is it in the summer ? I’d be anticipating ATC slot delays this summer which will mean you’ve not a hope of making that connection unless you’re lucky on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

In general from memory, the vouchers for Aer Lingus tend to be valid for five years . They can be used for the taxes, charges etc. Is this a query though in relation to vouchers due to covid (excuse my ignorance)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmacma

Were you able to travel with only a recovery cert or did you need to get a test?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmacma

@Stimpyone How did this go for you? I am travelling Saturday and trying to ensure I am covered with COVID recovery cert + doctors letter. Very frustrating that Verifly doesn't accept this given that the US seems to allow it.

Advertisement