Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

No need for fast track - security moves extremely quickly.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

I have a question after suffering a huge inconvenience to put it mildly while in Berlin over the weekend.

I was due to fly back with Ryanair this morning but to my horror yesterday afternoon I noticed my flight had been cancelled. As it happens, there were no flights at all from Berlin today due to the security staff going on strike. I had absolutely no idea this was on the cards and I wouldn’t have gone to Berlin this weekend in the first place if I knew about the strike.

Anyway Ryanair didn’t even email me that the flight was cancelled. As I had already checked in online a few days ago, I could have easily turned up at the airport this morning totally oblivious of the cancellation and I’m sure lots of people probably were caught out.

To make matters worse, all their alternative flights were all booked out until next Friday, as were Aer Lingus, so after much panic and no idea how to get home, my only option was to opt for an expensive, last minute flight from Munich to Dublin this morning. At least German transport is efficient and I was able to take an 8 hour bus ride overnight to the airport, but obviously I had to check out of my hotel earlier than planned and the whole thing was just a mess really.

I’m wondering are Ryanair/Berlin airport liable in any way for the huge inconvenience? Suppose I just have to suck it up as an unlucky and stressful experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Question to some of the folk knowledgable with airport security in Dublin, and regarding things you can and can not bring through security in cabin baggage;

Could I brink a Wok through, with it's glass lid? (its stainless steel with a stainless steel handle)

And in addition, could I bring through a glass oven baking dish?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭galwayhooker

Has anyone here ever used the bag drop machines in T2? Do you have to join the other check in queues to just drop in a bag. I am flying to Berlin with Aer Lingus ( T2) next Saturday. Flight is at 6.40 am and have checked in online already. Am wondering will I really save time also buying fast track option at security? Coming from Galway so trying to work out what bus to get. 

Really wish there were flights to Berlin from Shannon/ Knock!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Yeah I’ve used them, I’ve never had to Que , it’s a fairly quick process but could still be busy for that time of the morning check in seems to be generally managed well at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭fredo1664

I have a silly question about arrival time at the Dublin airport car park. Say I booked for 4am, but now I was moved to a later flight and plan to arrive at the car park at 11am. The FAQ on the airport website says that I can arrive up to 4 hours BEFORE my booked time, but what about AFTER? I imagine since I have paid from 4am, I can arrive whenever I wish but I just have a bad feeling about this... Has anyone been in this situation by any chance? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You can adjust your booking time, as far as I remember.

In any case, I have never heard of anyone running into trouble turning up outside of their official booking time (within reason, obviously!).

I'm sure there's a contact email or twitter that you can ask them direct to be sure.

Thank you @HeidiHeidi , I have sent them an email and they replied that "Once you are within your prebooked times there is no issue."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Hi there,

I'm collecting my girlfriend from Dublin airport. Prebooking the short term carpark is €36 for what'll amount to btween 1 and two hours. Are there any other cheaper not totally inconvenient parking alternatives? Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

T2 short term is around 3.50 or 4.50 an hour I think

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Don't pre-book, just pay when you're there and you'll pay by the hour not by the day. Wait in the McDonald's/Circle K car park until she lands and then move to the short term. No need to be paying for more than one hour

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Short term car parks are €3 per hour…

stay 59 minutes pay €3, stay 61 minutes and pay €6 and so on……

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Thanks all. Very much appreciated. Got in and out within the hour so only €3.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Just to update and answer my own question as it may help others caught up in a similar situation…

So I filled out the EU261 form on the Ryanair website and submitted screenshots of my extra expenses with it. Heard nothing for over two weeks and finally yesterday I got a response saying they are going to fully reimburse all my expenses!! I had totally written off getting anything so was very pleasantly surprised. It’s definitely worth filling out those extra forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭x567

To forewarn anyone connecting via LHR, the queues (long haul to Uk/Ire) in T5 early today (7.30ish) were extraordinary. Only two border control staff and literally many many hundreds of angry pax queuing out to about 100m before the entrance to the lengthy queuing snakes inside the flight connections area. No hope of making anything approaching a short connection.

There have been intermittent border control strikes recently, but I can’t find anything to confirm that there was one today. Security was also abnormally slow. Got home eventually…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

anyone know does the DAA still allow you to go through security in either T1 or T2 irrespective of which terminal you are flying from?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭rameire

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

We're flying out from Dublin on the 11th at 12:15, I'm wondering will there be any disruptions because of Biden's visit, we're travelling from Donegal so wonder if we should leave earlier than planned?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

No one can tell you if there will be delays in the future, but I’d be giving myself extra time anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Does anyone know are there dimension restrictions on the 10kg included Aer Lingus baggage allowance if you check it in?

Of course I know the cabin dimensions that apply for take on board, but do they care if you check it in? e.g. if we are traveling (Saver fare) with bulky light clothes can we check a medium sized suitcase if under 10kg?

Last time I checked in a cabin luggage at the airport, it was all done on the self-service machine, then I went to the bag drop self-service thingy, which checked the weight. I think you'll be fine.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

I know this has been asked already but just checking to be sure that you can move between terminals after security?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Go through security in T1 and just follow the signs for the 400 gates or go through security in T2 and follow signs for 100-300 gates, easy as anything

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Craig_David

Can anyone tell me where I can find a list of Dublin Airport scheduled departures say for example a week from now.. tnx

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

There are delays for flights this evening arriving in Dublin airport due to foggy conditions - with CAT2/3 ILS approaches for the runways there, why would fog cause delays? Sorry for the noob question.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Fog means that the ATC controllers don't have the same visibility to make sure that the runway is clear of traffic, and crews can't be as definitive about their absolute position, so more time for them to get clear of the runway has to be allowed, which reduces the rate at which aircraft can land, and requires more separation between aircraft that are moving on the ground.

It's even more important in CAT 3 conditions, as an aircraft on the ground but too close to either the localiser or glideslope transmitters can cause changes in the signal which could result in an aircraft that's using the ILS to land to not be in the right position over the touch down zone, which could result in an accident.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Advertisement