Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Fingal General Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

cowzerp wrote: »
    you are the problem with this country,

Yeah shame on me for working my way through college, getting a professional job and paying my taxes for the last 12 years since commencing employment and never having put my hand out asking for society to pay for a single thing in that time.

As I said I'm happy to pay my taxes and more if it means quality public services.

What you won't find me saying is give me a better health service but I don't want to pay water charges or have any austerity (sound familiar?). Exactly how against the backdrop of the celtic tiger?

no recession,

Where did I say there was no recession? Please quote me.

You do know know what a recession is right? (falling GDP two quarters in a row) Ireland hasn't been in one since Q2 of 2013.

Now if we are talking about budget deficits and having to shrink public expenditure and increase taxes that's a different matter.

Lets debate that.

The deficit has gone from 17.7bn in 2011 to only 62m (0.062bn) at the end of 2015. Obviously that's going to have an impact on tax home pay, taxes and public services.

How would you have propsed closing that gap? Here's your platform, let's hear it.
    what do you call the homeless crisis, the trolley crisis, the massive waiting lists for health issues,

I call them symptoms of inheriting a €17bn budget deficit less than 5 years ago. I don't condone what has happened at all but what did you think was going to happen against that background? Lets remember we still have the 19th best health system in the world according to the WHO against that backdrop.

I see no firm details on this in the policy document on the right2change website proposing fixes.

Gerry Adams didn't have a clue how to fix the health service when asked by Miriam O' Callaghan the other night. His basic response was 'recruit people' - yeah great response Gerry, why did no one else think of that!!

im over 2 years waiting on nose surgery,

And you expect when you vote right2change they'll just fix that overnight?
    Hands were tied were they? well then why lie to get in that they'd sort out the trolley crisis, burn bondholders, not pursue water charges etc, They are liars and scammers who control the media through RTE and Denis o Brien and you have been duped.

Sheep will be sheep.

The government approached the ECB re burning bondholder and were basically told forget it - no chance. Was never happening. If they had we'd have been worse than Greece right now. It would have seen us cut us off from the ECB and the super low bond rates which have allowed us get the debt to gdp ratio under 100%.

You do realise we'd be a) out of europe on our arses or b) paying 10% plus on all our debt meaning our health system would be far worse as more expenditure would be required to service the national debt that could go toward more beneficial means.

I don't see the right2change (or anyone else for that matter) campaigning based on telling Europe to f'uck off? Why is that?

I get it your anti-establishment and p*ssed off but that doesn't mean people that disagree with you are sheep.

As I've said previously you do realise they've improved absolutely every economic metric from what they inherited? It's only a matter of time for the benefits trickle through into the 'real' economy and peoples lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

The Right2Change politics will not change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

kennyb3 wrote: »
    There was no austerity in 2015 (see the USC on your payslips for example) and none of the parties are campaigning on the basis of any over the next 5 years.

Lies and spin, all the cuts to services are recession.

and nobody has a problem paying taxes, the fact is we want that money to help the country not just a select few elites

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Is there a page that shows overview of each candidate and their policies? I go onto their personal website and it's all fluff "make Ireland great again" etc.

Wikipedia pages on the individual parties are OK but the independents are sorely lacking in substantive information.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭jwwb

Khannie wrote: »
    Is there a page that shows overview of each candidate and their policies? I go onto their personal website and it's all fluff "make Ireland great again" etc.

Wikipedia pages on the individual parties are OK but the independents are sorely lacking in substantive information.

Have you looked at smartvote.ie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Try SmartVote.ie. It doesn't outline policies, but has their responses on a number of key areas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Khannie wrote: »

I found Smartvote very helpful. You can take a test and see what candidates' policies match with what you're interested in: http://smartvote.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Hadn't found that site. Thanks!

Lies and spin,

Specifically? Are you saying usc was actually higher in 2015 or what are you saying. Let's be specific
    all the cuts to services are recession.

What? You're embarrassing yourself now. All cuts are recession?? So if a bus service is cut on the basis of cost that's a recession?
    and nobody has a problem paying taxes,

Clearly you do - you don't want austerity - you said it yourself.
    the fact is we want that money to help the country not just a select few elites

The money does help the country - look at the exchequer figures - the tax take goes towards public expenditure.

There is no line item for 'select few elites' - unless you can point it out to me?

You're talking in anti establishment slogans and generalisations and lacking in specifics.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭jwwb

If you are looking to follow the tallies on twitter over the next couple of days there seem to be two hashtags in use:

#dubfl is in use be the intelligentsia and other media
    #dubf is in use by everyone else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Is it illegal for candidates to stand outside the polling station? I've just been on to my Mother who told me that one of the candidates has been standing outside her polling station all day..

Allyall wrote: »
    Is it illegal for candidates to stand outside the polling station? I've just been on to my Mother who told me that one of the candidates has been standing outside her polling station all day..

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1992/act/23/section/147/enacted/en/html

As candidates can vote they can be at polling stations, just can't act political is my understanding of it.

Try SmartVote.ie. It doesn't outline policies, but has their responses on a number of key areas.

Just used it there out of interest.

Got my #1 & #2 correct (in reverse order) and my #3 also.

Very good

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

Clare had a Claremobile doing the rounds earlier,around Lusk,though I had morphed back to the 70's,...Austerity is growing up in 60s Dublin and queuing up for the free bread off the Franciscans at the back door of Dominic Street church on Granby Row,after getting battered all day by the blithces of Nuns in Kings Inn street school all day.
    And going home to fill an old milk churn with water off a tap in Dorset Lane,because there was no running water in the house or bath's(tin baths) or down to Tara St.
    One of 16 children ,of which 6 died young,the slum's and tenements of Sean mc Dermott St and Summerhill were our playground.
    Dublin in the rare auld times is right,any thing the working man and women got in this country,was got through hard toil sweat blood and tears,with no thank's to a Catholic Church that wanted nothing more than to keep the working man in his place.
    One shower of aristocracy was replaced by the even holier crowd of the holy orders.
    And the boss's and employers ,did't suddenly fall on their knees and convert over night ,like St Paul on the road to Damascus,in to benevolent friends of the working man and women.
    No every tiny little concession had to be won,my Father god rest him always said about how his pay was docked for missing half a day's work for taking time off to bury 3 of the children.
    That was Austerity,no wonder all my brothers and sisters grew up to be life long trade unionist's,and to despise those whose greed and aim in life was to rob,steal and leech of the back of the working man and woman.
    It turn's my stomach when you see what happened to the workers of Clerey's,and the silk suited scum that walked away with million's,while the worker's that were stabbed so viscously in the back ,still haven't got their lousy 2 weeks statutory redundancy,some with over 40 year's service ...
    It was said in the Septic Tiger ,that the Irish people forgot where they came from and their's a lot of truth in that,and as the scribes used to say ,if you don't know where you've been ,well then how will you know where you're going,yep their's still a lot of truth in that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Lol @ the Claremobile ^

I voted at around six o'clock and it was very busy, but apparently the turnout all day was very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I lost the will to live after giving my 3rd preference, but I persisted to the 15th.

Having a pint now to wash the bile from my gullet.

There were 2 auld ones I heard above at the school earlier,giving out that there no camera's and them after going to the trouble of getting their hair done I presume,just as well yere never too far from the Top Shop in Lusk,and you're write billy ,ye'd get writers cramp filling out that yoke ,it was like a roll of wall paper,me throat flares up some thing awfull this time every friday evening...back in a while

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Eh how many candidates are on the ballot paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Michael8000

I lost the will to live after giving my 3rd preference, but I persisted to the 15th.

I gave up at 5. The rest are all just a no so didn't want to give them anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I gave up at 5. The rest are all just a no so didn't want to give them anything

Giving someone a 15 is better than giving them nothing!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Managed all 15. No erasers though!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Michael8000

60% turnout in Naul at 9pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

martinn123 wrote: »
    Slab Murphy just got 18 months in the slammer

I would say all the SF candidates around the country, are thinking, why today of all days.

I think it was well timed. FG are the only party I never trusted but I can be cynical

- Would you not call Mick Wallace corrupt? (False Vat 3's)
    I actually wouldn't. (I can be a bit naive also) Heard him getting a right grilling off Sean O'Rourke on R.T.E and he gave what appeared to me a reasonable account and got a bit of support for his situation at the time. Mind you some in media worked overtime looking to nail him. He upset a lot of people at the time with some of his comments as around this time we were starting to get leaks about what went on some banks.
    - What about Gerry Adams? (his good republican comments and defence of Slab? Not to mention his 'association' with a terrorist organisation?)
    Slab like everyone else is entitled to due process. The I.R.A in MY opinion were not a terrorist organisation Gerry Adams has done a huge amount for relative peace we have on this island now and a lot of people, in Derry, Belfast didnt look at I.R.A as a terrorist organisation more of an army to protect them against their oppressors, there was little point in looking anywhere else. We cant keep dragging up things that happened over 30 years ago. Lets keep going back then and see where it gets us.
    For the record I have never been a member of Sinn Fein or I.R.A but have heard first hand accounts of what people went through and but for Sinn Fein, I.R.A Adams/Mcguinness, Hume/Cooper god only knows what would have happened.

Quite a few have been left behind by the peace process but that is not Adams fault and in this instance your comment above sounds like the type of comment that turned people away from F.G as all they were doing for a few weeks was throwing dirt at S.F. and a lot of people saw it as dirty politics.

S.F. are far from finished article and I think Gerry has done his time (no pun) and given great service and should step aside now. S.F would have much better appeal with Mary Lou as leader and might attract people who could make them into a very potent force in time to come. The establishment wont like that.
    Giving someone a 15 is better than giving them nothing!

depends on who is 15th;). Some I could not vote for at all. I got as far as 5 and could not go any further as I simply could not support some of the people on the ballot paper.

Appeared to be a very good turnout earlier today. I voted around 11 am and there was a very good crowd. I went by twice later in the day and there was a good flow of people each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

LeoB wrote: »
    The I.R.A in MY opinion were not a terrorist organisation

So the murder of Garda Jerry McCabe or the Birmingham and Gilford bombings were not the acts of a terrorist organisation?

LeoB wrote: »
    The I.R.A in MY opinion were not a terrorist organisation

I'm actually gobsmacked that a poster I previously would have seen as being somewhat left leaning, but fairly level headed would post as above.

I grew up across the road from Portlaoise prison, and my father was from the North, so my childhood holidays were spent in the North.

I then went on to work with Shane O'Doherty (who did the letter bombings in London in the 70's) very closely for over a year

Have no doubt Leo, the IRA were a terrorist organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I did it the optimists way. 15 - 1. :)

I started with the bile, and thought it would get better..

Allyall wrote: »
    I did it the optimists way. 15 - 1. :)

I started with the bile, and thought it would get better..

I was lucky with the bile, I'd Clare down the bottom :D

What do you call people who kidnap innocent catholic people off the street,bring them to an illegal pub/nightclub,put them on stage and then proceed to torture them horribly,for the entertainment of a sick crowd, finally hacking or cutting of their victims head's,2 of the victims were actually protestant,mistaken for being catholic,,,these were of course the Shankill Butchers,a UVF murder squad who killed 23 innocent people,their killings got so sick,that not even the RUC,Army Intelligence .the UDA could no longer turn a blind eye.
    What about the murder of 14 unarmed civilians on Bloody Sunday by the British Army and the Dublin and Monahan bombings carried out by the British Army,26 people were killed by the British including an unborn baby.
    Another terrible outrage was the Miami Showband Massacre,carried out by the UVF using British supplied guns and explosives.
    There were terrible atrocities committed on all sides,that is war,their is nothing good in it,there were times down here where people wished we had the atomic bomb so we could have nuked the kip off the face of the earth and done away with both side's we got that sick of the killing.
    The provisional I.R.A was formed at a desperate time,when Catholics were being murdered,burnt out of their homes by the thousand and forced to flee south of the border,while the 2 sovereign governments sat idly by,wringing their hand doing nothing.
    A lot of the senseless killings were called Tit 4 TaT ,a reprisal or some miserable excuse for whatever the latest outrage was.
    I had a gun put to my head during the O'Grady kidnapping in Cabra,I know what it is like to search a shop by hand for incendiary devices and firebombs.
    We have peace on this Island for the first time in 800 hundred years, a peace bought with the blood of thousand's,and with that peace comes the responsibility on people on both sides to make it work.
    A lot of the trouble to begin with was due to one side glorifying and annually reliving a 200 years old battle on an annual basis,akin to unit's of the S.S marching through Jerusalem every 12th July.
    Pick at old wounds and scabs and they will bleed,there has been too much blood shed,digging up past atrocities for the sake of cheap political point scoring and for claiming some sort of moral political high ground is the degenerative tack of the old political establishment that caused the whole sad murderous nightmare in the first place.
    Leave the past where it belong's,learn from it and move on,no good can come from stirring it all up ,those that do so to serve their own ends will be as guilty as those who pulled the triggers in the first place ,if what is a relatively young and still fragile enough peace process is destroyed for the sake of selfish political agenda's.
    One thing is certain,whomever wrecks this peace process and returns this Island to its murderous history of violence,will for all time and eternity burn in hell.

• Advertisement

dslamjack wrote: »
    What do you call people who kidnap innocent catholic people off the street,bring them to an illegal pub/nightclub,put them on stage and then proceed to torture them horribly,for the entertainment of a sick crowd, finally hacking or cutting of their victims head's,2 of the victims were actually protestant,mistaken for being catholic,,,these were of course the Shankill Butchers,a UVF murder squad who killed 23 innocent people,their killings got so sick,that not even the RUC,Army Intelligence .the UDA could no longer turn a blind eye.
    What about the murder of 14 unarmed civilians on Bloody Sunday by the British Army and the Dublin and Monahan bombings carried out by the British Army,26 people were killed by the British including an unborn baby.
    Another terrible outrage was the Miami Showband Massacre,carried out by the UVF using British supplied guns and explosives.
    There were terrible atrocities committed on all sides,that is war,their is nothing good in it,there were times down here where people wished we had the atomic bomb so we could have nuked the kip off the face of the earth and done away with both side's we got that sick of the killing.
    The provisional I.R.A was formed at a desperate time,when Catholics were being murdered,burnt out of their homes by the thousand and forced to flee south of the border,while the 2 sovereign governments sat idly by,wringing their hand doing nothing.
    A lot of the senseless killings were called Tit 4 TaT ,a reprisal or some miserable excuse for whatever the latest outrage was.
    I had a gun put to my head during the O'Grady kidnapping in Cabra,I know what it is like to search a shop by hand for incendiary devices and firebombs.
    We have peace on this Island for the first time in 800 hundred years, a peace bought with the blood of thousand's,and with that peace comes the responsibility on people on both sides to make it work.
    A lot of the trouble to begin with was due to one side glorifying and annually reliving a 200 years old battle on an annual basis,akin to unit's of the S.S marching through Jerusalem every 12th July.
    Pick at old wounds and scabs and they will bleed,there has been too much blood shed,digging up past atrocities for the sake of cheap political point scoring and for claiming some sort of moral political high ground is the degenerative tack of the old political establishment that caused the whole sad murderous nightmare in the first place.
    Leave the past where it belong's,learn from it and move on,no good can come from stirring it all up ,those that do so to serve their own ends will be as guilty as those who pulled the triggers in the first place ,if what is a relatively young and still fragile enough peace process is destroyed for the sake of selfish political agenda's.
    One thing is certain,whomever wrecks this peace process and returns this Island to its murderous history of violence,will for all time and eternity burn in hell.

What do you call depriving the children of a widow of their mother because she may or may not have been an informant?

What do you think it feels like to spend many hours after the likes of the Enniskillen bombing to be a child and see your father frantically trying to reach his brothers and sisters in the area?

There is guilt on both sides. It's over, move on, but forget this nonsense that the IRA were not a terrorist organisation.

Advertisement