Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Fingal General Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭jwwb

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Farrell seems to be a malahide only candidate. Doesn't do much outside of there. Didn't even put election posters up there so as not to lower the tone of his town.

You can say similar about every candidate. I've never heard anything from Daly Ryan Reilly but hear quite a bit from Farrell and o'brien.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Any sign of a first count?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Still waiting. ....

This constituency was crying out for a Social Democrats candidate imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Tropheus wrote: »
    So the murder of Garda Jerry McCabe or the Birmingham and Gilford bombings were not the acts of a terrorist organisation?
    Disgraceful the killing of Gerry McCabe.
    Stheno wrote: »
    I'm actually gobsmacked that a poster I previously would have seen as being somewhat left leaning, but fairly level headed would post as above.

I grew up across the road from Portlaoise prison, and my father was from the North, so my childhood holidays were spent in the North.

I then went on to work with Shane O'Doherty (who did the letter bombings in London in the 70's) very closely for over a year

Have no doubt Leo, the IRA were a terrorist organisation.

Some renegades were disgusting, the acts they carried out were appalling and nobody can can condone them, I would not condone a lot of the things they done.. But I looked at it as the only avenue people had in the North. SOME were nothing more than thugs. Biggest problem was the lack of control from Leadership and splinter groups. I sympathised with them to an extent but I should have looked at what I typed before I posted. Hope I didnt offend anyone.
    Sorry Hilly Billy. Just clarifying.

Not surprised that Darragh O'Brien has topped the poll. He is a good worker in my experience. Will be an interesting night ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

OHH,I don't know what we're going to do at all at all,shocking that's the word for it shocking,we're one crazy mixed up nation ,their's no 2 roads about it,Bertie and the boy's are back in town ,get out the tent,book the BnB in Ballybrit,memo to me self,buy shares in Roadstone,Hireco and JCB,and Kingspan.
    It really is the politics of what did ye do for me lately,errr after Labour ,you'd want to be on crack to be a junior party in any coalition,just imagine it michhall martin--you know what I can't,looking at the results coming in is akin to the pain ye get when ye can't laugh and you don't know if yere crying,yep a right crazy mixed up nation,great viewing though,I woul't be suprised if Lord Lucan turn's up riding Shergar at the rate it's going,hell Donald Trump could get in here at the rate it's going... Later

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Michael O'Regan on Newstalk with Pat Kenny. in shock at the poor results for James Reilly!
    Just proves how out of touch the embedded political hacks are!! Had to be reminded about
    the Primary Centres saga over which Róisín Shortall resigned.

According to RTE news ..Darragh O'Brien F.F has been elected to Fingal North, just now,... confirmed.

http://www.rte.ie/news/election-2016/constituencies/dublin-fingal/

looking at this the battle for the fifth seat will be between J Reilly FG + Louise O'Reilly SF

Last count completed: 1
    SEATS FILLED
    1/5
    TURNOUT
    65.1%
    ELECTORATE
    SPOILED
    VALID VOTES
    QUOTA

Incredible performance by Farrell to be in third. Most analysts had him losing his seat. Also strong performance by O'Brien as it was assumed Daly would top poll. I guess the AAA took some of her vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

So it looks like Sinn Fein could take the last seat in Fingal?

I notice 462 spoiled votes ,why bother going to all the trouble of going to a polling station and then spoil your vote , the mind boggle's ???

dslamjack wrote: »
    I notice 462 spoiled votes ,why bother going to all the trouble of going to a polling station and then spoil your vote , the mind boggle's ???

They may not necessarily have been spoiled. Some people may have ticked the boxes instead of putting numbers in.

They may not necessarily have been spoiled. Some people may have ticked the boxes instead of putting numbers in.

Ticking a box is a valid vote, assuming it's one box.

Bigcheeze wrote: »

Oh right, thought I saw a few photos earlier on of ballots that had been rejected because of only one tick on them. I must have been wrong so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Reilly needs to get something from o'briens transfers, and a lift from farrell getting the quota. Then hope SF prove suitably transfer toxic from the independents etc.

So it looks like Sinn Fein could take the last seat in Fingal?

They will take it. Sinn Fein will benefit more from the transfers of the eliminated candidates.

Renua will transfer heavily to FG but mostly Farrell as Molloy is Malahide based.

Originally posted by Arthur Daley -- Reilly needs to get something from o'briens transfers, and a lift from farrell getting the quota. Then hope SF prove suitably transfer toxic from the independents etc.

Yep ,it's all still to play for ,count 1 = done ,when will the result of count 2 come in?

Yep ,it's all still to play for ,count 1 = done ,when will the result of count 2 come in?

It's actually all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

If I was Reilly, I'd start rooting out my stethoscope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,324 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Bigcheeze wrote: »

Nope, the recent court case involving the local elections in Kerry make it very clear that anything other than numbers 1,2,3, etc mean a spoiled vote. In that case, some had started the votes at 2, 3, 4 etc. Ticks do not count.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Tropheus wrote: »
    If I was Reilly, I'd start rooting out my stethoscope.

Feck that, I'd be retiring on the TD & ministerial pension, spending the rest of my days smoking cigars and drinking white russians!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Marcusm wrote: »
    Nope, the recent court case involving the local elections in Kerry make it very clear that anything other than numbers 1,2,3, etc mean a spoiled vote. In that case, some had started the votes at 2, 3, 4 etc. Ticks do not count.
    That was a different scenario in Kerry as there were 2 ballot papers for 2 seperate elections provided together. Some people had put a number or several numbers on the first paper and continued the sequence on the second paper - e.g. 1, 2, 3 on the first and 4,5.6 etc on the second paper.

In an ordinary election, a single tick or 'X' is valid and treated as if it was a no. 1. (According to my mother who used to do the counts).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Feck that, I'd be retiring on the TD & ministerial pension, spending the rest of my days smoking cigars and drinking white russians!

He has a few debts to pay off, according to Stubbs Gazette.

Well Actually I thought all along that Bertie,em I mean Michall was the man,and FF the best party the state ever had(thank fluxx I skivved that Darragh O'Brien Poster for the front garden),I'll leave it there till the local cummann cum knockin and I'LL be I told ye,aye I'll have me foot in the door , me own personal carriage on metro north(if me brother in law get's the contract)....aye it's gonna be Tropic

Marcusm wrote: »

You're wrong. You just need to express a clear preference

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2016/four-things-you-need-to-know-before-you-vote-34484419.html

How do I avoid spoiling my vote?
    Many voters choose to express only a few preferences, often voting from 1 to 5. The important thing is to express a clear preference. If you would like to vote for just one candidate, put the number 1 next to their name.
    Returning officers usually accept a single X next to a candidate’s name as a clear preference. But you should not put multiple Xs on the ballot as this will result in your vote being spoiled.

Alan Shatter (FG) has lost his seat in Dublin Rathdown
    Leo Varadkar (FG) has been re-elected in Dublin West
    Mary Lou McDonald (sf) was elected on the sixth count in Dublin Central
    Michael Lowry (iND) has been elected in Tipperary

If you can't add or subtract ,don't have a bank account, need to stay home all the time to cook the book's and wait in for the local supermarket owner to paint your house and build the conservatory,ye suffer from short/long term memory loss when it comes to paying tax's,and your fav pastime is to cost the taxpayer millions in Tribunal's ,the toast of the legal profession/legal fee's dept move to Tipp north,ye'll be a shoe in for TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,324 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

That was a different scenario in Kerry as there were 2 ballot papers for 2 seperate elections provided together. Some people had put a number or several numbers on the first paper and continued the sequence on the second paper - e.g. 1, 2, 3 on the first and 4,5.6 etc on the second paper.

In an ordinary election, a single tick or 'X' is valid and treated as if it was a no. 1. (According to my mother who used to do the counts).

It used to be the case, and there may be circumstances in which an x or a tick might be accepted but it is up to the local returning officer to determine - it must be a clear indication of a first preference. Given the costs involved in the Kerry case which was very much of its own character, I understand that many are now very particular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

If you can't add or subtract ,don't have a bank account, need to stay home all the time to cook the book's and wait in for the local supermarket owner to paint your house and build the conservatory,ye suffer from short/long term memory loss when it comes to paying tax's,and your fav pastime is to cost the taxpayer millions in Tribunal's ,the toast of the legal profession/legal fee's dept move to Tipp north,ye'll be a shoe in for TD.

Do literally nothing and you'll be a shoe in for a TD in Fingal.

Advertisement