Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Fingal General Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

TrueIt wrote: »
    I'm not sure but he has received a huge amount of transfers.
    Is the count finished until tomorrow?

Just saw this
    01:08

Count adjourned. A recheck called by Cllr Barry Martin who is just 22 votes behind Lorraine Clifford Lee for sixth place. The count will return at 10.0am tomorrow morning.

01:15

So an abrupt end to a long day. Clare Daly joined FF's Darragh O'Brien, who topped the poll, after four counts, but there's a lot of drama to play out here tomorrow. James Reilly is in an almighty scrap to keep his seat, with his own party all but throwing in the towel. There's three seats to fill, you can keep up to date with developments on our national tracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭rock whore

Allyall wrote: »
    Who is Barry Martin likely to transfer his votes to, does anyone have an idea? Is he Left/Right/in the middle?
    and Lorraine Clifford-Lee? Labour?

He's allied with Clare Daly so definitely from the left.
    His transfers are unlikely to go to FG/FF.
    It looks like this recount could determine the outcome because the last seat will probably swing wildly depending on who is excluded next.
    Will it be Martin or Clifford-Lee?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

rock whore wrote: »
    Yes - as much of Daly's votes come from the Swords area, Rush based Martin, hoped to attract similar type votes from the northern end of the constituency Balbriggan, Skerries, Rush, Lusk etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Ticking a box is a valid vote, assuming it's one box.

Not any more. Only numbers count. There was some Supreme Court ruling. There's a thread on it in the politics forum.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It looks like this recount could determine the outcome because the last seat will probably swing wildly depending on who is excluded next.
    That only leaves Lab and SF to pick up a lot of those transfers, which makes sense. It will be interesting to see if Louise O'Reilly can make any inroads into Brendan Ryan with those transfers although it looks like they will pick up seats 4 & 5 anyway

However the way this works I'm pretty sure both Clifford-Lee and Martin's transfers will kick in at some stage, and if so it should make little if any difference which order they come in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

What's Louise O'Reilly going to do if she gets a seat? Will she relocate to somewhere in the constituency? Will she start to tackle local issues?
    Or will she simply be another vote for Sinn Féin in the Dáil, and not be too bothered about Dublin Fingal.

Not any more. Only numbers count. There was some Supreme Court ruling. There's a thread on it in the politics forum.
    Have you read the earlier posts in this thread clarifying that?

The situation in Kerry arose because of non-sequenced numbers which were originally allowed by the returning officer. The plantiff lost the election by 2 votes. However, it was discovered that some voters had commenced their number sequence on the first ballot paper for one election and continued the sequence on the second ballot paper for a separate election. The returning officer permitted those ballot papers beginning with no. 3, treating it as a 'no.1. That is what the Supreme Court ruling was about - nothing to do with ticks or 'X's'.

A single tick or a single X is permitted as it clearly indicates a preference and is treated as if it were a no. 1 to that candidate.

What's Louise O'Reilly going to do if she gets a seat? Will she relocate to somewhere in the constituency? Will she start to tackle local issues?
    Or will she simply be another vote for Sinn Féin in the Dáil, and not be too bothered about Dublin Fingal.
    There's is no requirement to live in a constituency where one is elected. Joan Bruton, Shane Ross and many other TD's do not live in their constituency.

Local issues should be a matter for County Councillors. TD's are elected to represent us at our national assembly. I accept however that many people expect TD's to do 'local' work. When I'm canvassed, I always ask prospective candidates what they intend to do nationally not locally. I usually get puzzled looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Some posts deleted & final warnings on a couple of topics...

Got a problem with a post? Report it. Do not comment on thread.

Posts in this thread must be related to the election in Dublin Fingal. General politics comments go in the Politics forums.

Edit: We don't want to start banning people, but if we have to keep cleaning up this thread - we will.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Counting resumed at 10.

Still waiting for anything to filter through.

• Advertisement

Ahh.. Couldn't place him for a bit. They look like Mother and Son in the posters. :D Now I got him.

Same question, every other candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭TrueIt

"I am still in the fight for the 5th seat. RTE NEWS "Count adjourned. A recheck called by Cllr Barry Martin who is just 22 votes behind Lorraine Clifford Lee for sixth place. The count will return at 10.0am tomorrow morning."

From Barry Martin's Facebook 2am last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭rock whore

Ahh.. Couldn't place him for a bit. They look like Mother and Son in the posters. :D

I can't unsee this now. Laughing out loud on the bus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Barry Martin eliminated after recheck of 8th count complete.

Clifford-Lee Eliminated after 9th count

Alan Farrell just tweeted
    "On my way to the count centre to be deemed elected."

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lorraine Clifford-Lee has gone, leaving Alan Farrell, Brendan Ryan, Louise O'Reilly and James Reilly to fight for 3 places. Reilly will need a massive transfer from Clifford-Lee which simply is not going to happen, so in my view it's now all pretty much done and dusted.

Alan Farrell just tweeted
    "On my way to the count centre to be deemed elected."
    I'm sure he'll get in without any need for further transfers. Not a mathematical certainly yet, but probably as near as you can get without it.

Yeah, seems likely.

Who will Clifford-Lee transfers go to?

SF?
    LAB?
    FG?

Even if she gave them to James Reilly it wouldn't be enough. So I presume they'll go to Labour?

So What happens when SF don't reach the Quota?

..So What happens when SF don't reach the Quota?
    There is no requirement to reach the quota. When all the transfers are done the remaining seats are filled by those with the most votes - i.e. deemed to be elected without reaching the quota.

Yep - one more elimination (which is pretty certain to be Reilly) and it's all over. It's possible that no-one else will get a quota - certainly I think only Farrell has a realistic chance of one from Clifford-Lee's transfers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Tenth count live now Reilly is gone

• Registered Users Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

That's it, done and dusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

That's it, done and dusted.

What is the final list of TD's elected.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

gladrags wrote: »
    O'brien, Daly, Farrell, Ryan and o'Reilly

gladrags wrote: »

http://www.rte.ie/news/election-2016/constituencies/dublin-fingal/

Well that was a mess.. :D

As above :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I for one welcome our new Crumlin-based SF overlord :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭sidcon

BMJD wrote: »

And so do I, this country has asked for change yet the same people are elected every 5 years.
    You don't need to live in the area to represent us.
    Do you only look for work or work in Fingal?

The definition of insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results.

Proof of the pudding and all that stuff. SF have a chance to show what they are made of, both locally as well as nationally.

Bottom line though is the electorate have spoken, and we've got who we, as a constituency, voted for

BMJD wrote: »

To me, that makes much more sense than re-electing somebody that has been in for the past 5 years, and literally done nothing. I don't and won't pretend to understand that.

• Advertisement

Reilly moaning on RTE and the Indo that he always felt that there were issues going against him in how FG managed the vote. And that some of the decisions taken by the Cabinet were repugnant to him as a doctor.

Advertisement