Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Fingal General Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

sidcon wrote: »
    And so do I, this country has asked for change yet the same people are elected every 5 years.
    You don't need to live in the area to represent us.
    Do you only look for work or work in Fingal?

The definition of insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results.

That would depend on one's line of work.

There's 6 or 7 SF councillors in Fingal already, it's odd that they were overlooked in favour of O'Reilly; they've always been a grassroots party so I thought they'd have gone for someone local.

It doesn't matter much to me either way as I'm not a supporter, I wish her well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

BMJD wrote: »
    ... they've always been a grassroots party so I thought they'd have gone for someone local....
    Just like the way Adams was parachuted from West Belfast into Louth!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Just like the way Adams was parachuted from West Belfast into Louth!!

Well the Shinners were always fans of the paras (I'll get my coat...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

So, what do we think of the result, and our new local TD's

Personally I am a bit disappointed in the TD's who will represent this area.

We have Darragh O'Brien, a former Senator, and TD who will know his way around the system, and appears a strong character.

Clare Daly, I have no time for, a publicity seeking renegade.

O'Reilly SF, I am disappointed SF have got a foothold in the area.

Alan Farrell, the junior member for FG for the past 5 years, and wheeled out when there was bad news to be announced, with the lack of support for FG generally, I think he will be lost in the background.

Brendan Ryan, a quiet and unassuming member of Labour, with a low national profile. Again with the decimation of Labour will fade into the background

So no high profile characters in the area, with the possible exception of O'Brien.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

martinn123 wrote: »
    So, what do we think of the result, and our new local TD's

Personally I am a bit disappointed in the TD's who will represent this area.
    Fingal Rainbow Coalition. :)
    It will definitely be interesting to see which ones want to keep their seats, and should prove for good times in Fingal with them all falling over each other trying to get things done and claim responsibility :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I want to see you proven wrong with Farrell and Ryan getting lost in the background, but unfortunately it's likely to be true. But the reason will more likely be because they will be doing nothing/very little, as opposed to lack of support.

Daly, love or loathe her, she gets her hands dirty and is a voice many want heard. It's good someone like her is there to stop the rest of them from falling asleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭sidcon

I think Louise O Reilly will surprise a few, she was a senior Siptu official, has worked hard on the Aer Lingus issues.
    If this election somehow makes it to an actual government then I think you might get that strong character and voice you all asked for.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

sidcon wrote: »
    I think Louise O Reilly will surprise a few, she was a senior Siptu official, has worked hard on the Aer Lingus issues.

A sidekick for Daly then?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭yes there

RobFowl wrote: »
    Well the Shinners were always fans of the paras (I'll get my coat...)

Why are you? Considering they butchered 14 Irish lives in a single day, I fail to see how anyone would be a fan. An extremely abhorrent post.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

martinn123 wrote: »
    So no high profile characters in the area, with the possible exception of O'Brien.
    Whatever you think of her or indeed her policies, one thing you cannot say is Clare Daly will be less than "high profile"!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

yes there wrote: »
    Why are you? Considering they butchered 14 Irish lives in a single day, I fail to see how anyone would be a fan. An extremely abhorrent post.

If you have a problem with a post please report it, although in this case it's pretty clear that the post in question was a joke and not meant to be taken seriously. The Hill Billy posted a warning earlier in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98885529&postcount=430

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭jwwb

Well that's it all over for a few weeks or months or hopefully years. One seat for everyone in the audience although the FG chairs were swapped around and the sky hasn't fallen as yet. Very surprised that Clifford-Lee was the last to be eliminated from the count.

I said near the start of the thread that I was worried about the divisions that are now being seen in our society and think that those have been seen throughout this thread. Hopefully the hurt and the hate will have eased next time around.

Allyall wrote: »
    ...Daly, love or loathe her, she gets her hands dirty and is a voice many want heard...
    It's very easy to shout populist stuff when sitting on the fence. While I have no time for her, part of me would like to see how she would manage if she had to make the tough decisions in government.

It's very easy to shout populist stuff when sitting on the fence. While I have no time for her, part of me would like to see how she would manage if she had to make the tough decisions in government.

Clare Daly doesn't bother me either way, but I would much prefer someone that does/says something and draws attention to matters, even if I don't agree with them, and actually gets off their backside and has a passion about something.
    It's the crowd that run for the wage, that annoy the cr*p out of me. Then have the gall to rub it in our faces by hiring family members or similar. All the while doing absolutely nothing about the Country and any problems it is deemed to have. :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

iwishiknew wrote: »
    I'm amazed that commentators are surprised about Reilly. We're poorly served by the choice of candidates from the main parties....not inspiring at all

As I said already, it is amazing how out of touch the commentators are.
    He's probably a great lad with which 'to have a pint'! I certainly did not
    vote for him!! Have none of these guys remembered how he treated
    Róisín Shortall or Kathleen Lynch, when he is alleged not to have even
    answered their calls? And the Primary Cares fiasco? etc., etc. :mad:

Reilly just hasn't attracted transfers. 3/5 govt party tds returned is just proving too much. Probably the vote management between farrel and reilly should have been better also.

This talk about vote management really irks me! No amount of 'vote management' would have made me vote for Reilly, even though I did
    vote for Farrell!!

Stheno wrote: »
    Tenth count live now Reilly is gone

Yes!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Cupra280

I am so happy that Reilly is gone.

My only worry now, is if a Government is formed based on the newly elected TDs, will he be made a Senator in the next Seanad?

Cupra280 wrote: »

My only worry now, is if a Government is formed based on the newly elected TDs, will he be made a Senator in the next Seanad?

I thought they were getting rid of the Seanad altogether... :rolleyes:

Paddy Power has Varadkar to be the next FG leader at 11/10 :eek:

Cupra280 wrote: »

As several party leaders have had their fingers burned by allegations of 'cronyism', it is highly unlikely that he would be one of the Taoiseach's nominees.

That said, he could stand for election presuming that he is eligible (I'll have to check the rules). Somehow I doubt that he would be interested though.

I thought they were getting rid of the Seanad altogether... :rolleyes:...
    The proposal to abolish it was defeated in the 2013 rererendum. (Why the rolleyes? :confused:)

• Advertisement

The proposal to abolish it was defeated in the 2013 rererendum. (Why the rolleyes? :confused:)

I didn't realise they had decided to keep it. The rolleyes were me assuming it was another lie.

I didn't realise they had decided to keep it..
    The people decided to keep it (that is, the majority of those who balloted).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I didn't realise they had decided to keep it. The rolleyes were me assuming it was another lie.

The people of Ireland voted to keep it - swindled by vested interests in to thinking they were voting to "reform" it when reform was never on the table and never will be.

I've voted in everything I was eligible to in the past 10 years, and I can't remember that :o

EDIT -
    http://www.newstalk.com/Ireland-votes-to-keep-the-Seanad

I can't remember that at all!! :eek:

I've voted in everything I was eligible to in the past 10 years, and I can't remember that :o

EDIT -
    http://www.newstalk.com/Ireland-votes-to-keep-the-Seanad

I can't remember that at all!! :eek:
    There were two referendums that day - the other was about the Court of Appeal. (Only 38% of the electorate bothered to exercise their right).

I just heard Lorraine Clifford-Lee has been given Senator O'Briens Seanad seat...

Or to put it another way.

Lorraine Clifford Lee might get a seat in the Seanad.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I hope she won't be subjected to the same jibes of "blow-in" in the Senate that she got from O'Brien's canvassing team.

I hope she won't be subjected to the same jibes of "blow-in" in the Senate that she got from O'Brien's canvassing team.
    + O'Brien.. :)

He was seen "scurrying off" :D I thought that was hilarious when I read that part.

She might get a chance to do it all again in 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭jwwb

Is the correct verb bestowed or bequeathed a senate seat? I always get confused.

She had terrible trouble last time she ran on the SS with people putting up her posters to weeks after the election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

When do the posters have to be down by? There was an awful lot left up this morning, from all kinds of candidates

Advertisement