Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Fingal General Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

When do the posters have to be down by? There was an awful lot left up this morning, from all kinds of candidates

http://www.environ.ie/environment/waste/litter/election-posters
    Posters (including the plastic cable ties) must be removed within 7 days of polling day. These requirements for election posters are set out under section 19 of the Litter Pollution Act 1997 and the Electoral (Amendment) (No. 2) Act 2009. - See more at: http://www.environ.ie/environment/waste/litter/election-posters#sthash.6VNJTJvV.dpuf

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

Posters (including the plastic cable ties) must be removed within 7 days of polling day. These requirements for election posters are set out under section 19 of the Litter Pollution Act 1997 and the Electoral (Amendment) (No. 2) Act 2009. - See more at:

http://www.environ.ie/environment/waste/litter/election-posters#sthash.QdpjrY0P.dpuf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

If we had to go back to the polls in the next few weeks, would you vote the exact same way again ?

I don't think i would , I voted Molloy 1 , I think now i would Probably Vote Farrell 1

Would you expect James Reilly to run again after him loosing his seat ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd vote the same way again. I wouldn't think James Reilly would stand again and face another defeat.

Yeh i couldn't see Fine Gael running him again anyway after the bloody nose he got two weeks ago. i would have given them my 1&2 but couldn't bring myself to vote for Reilly in the end, of all the Fine Gael TD's who had to be removed himself and Alan Shatter were the two most deserving to loose their seat.

• Advertisement

I believe the only reason Farrell got in was because FG voters wouldn't vote for Reilly. He may not be as like minded as Reilly, but he must be the most useless. Has he actually ever done anything?

Anyway, nice to see the few of them across parties enjoying their time off in the pub every night.

No doubt Farrell only got retuned because FG voters had lost faith in Reilly , i'm not sure he has done much nationally or locally , but then again we weren't exactly spoiled for choice with any of the candidates in Fingal.

No doubt Farrell only got retuned because FG voters had lost faith in Reilly , i'm not sure he has done much nationally or locally , but then again we weren't exactly spoiled for choice with any of the candidates in Fingal.

I can't find the article, (I've looked a few times in the past week+), but I read something about Fingal being very important to get inluence in.
    It read like it was implying other things. But anyway, if it is so important, why aren't we spoiled for choice?

A rotation system, or local TD's having to serve some of their elected time in another constituency might show us exactly what they're like (good or bad), and highlight a few things for them, that they were otherwise unaware of. Some of them have got it far too easy.
    Sortition mightn't be a bad thing either..

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Cupra280

Allyall wrote: »
    I believe the only reason Farrell got in was because FG voters wouldn't vote for Reilly. He may not be as like minded as Reilly, but he must be the most useless. Has he actually ever done anything?

Anyway, nice to see the few of them across parties enjoying their time off in the pub every night.
    Allyall wrote: »
    I can't find the article, (I've looked a few times in the past week+), but I read something about Fingal being very important to get inluence in.
    It read like it was implying other things. But anyway, if it is so important, why aren't we spoiled for choice?

A rotation system, or local TD's having to serve some of their elected time in another constituency might show us exactly what they're like (good or bad), and highlight a few things for them, that they were otherwise unaware of. Some of them have got it far too easy.
    Sortition mightn't be a bad thing either..

I think it is much more simple than that, Alan Farrell held constituency clinics, and seems to realise that in order to get elected in North Dublin, that the people in North Dublin needed to have access to him.

Reilly ceased his constituency clinics following his appointment as Minister in 2011. His speech following his exclusion indicated that he thought that his Ministerial profile was enough to get him returned. It shows how much he understands politics. I could not give him a low preference, I'd have considered that a spoilt vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭mickmmc

James Reilly had a constituency office in Chamber Buildings on North Street, Swords. There is a name plate on the wall and it is listed on the FG website as his constituency office.

Cllr. J.P. Browne from Skerries could be a future FG candidate for the next election. He was put on the ticket by FG HQ at the last local elections and won a seat. Cllr. Tom O' Leary FG, a sitting councillor at the time, from Skerries lost his seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Cupra280

mickmmc wrote: »
    James Reilly had a constituency office in Chamber Buildings on North Street, Swords. There is a name plate on the wall and it is listed on the FG website as his constituency office.

Cllr. J.P. Browne from Skerries could be a future FG candidate for the next election. He was put on the ticket by FG HQ at the last local elections and won a seat. Cllr. Tom O' Leary FG, a sitting councillor at the time, from Skerries lost his seat.

Thanks for the update, I did mean he stopped holding clinics.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,885 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

what did Reilly do to upset _Fine Gael voters_ so much

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭jwwb

Is there anything to be said for another Mass Election

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

jwwb wrote: »
    Is there anything to be said for another Mass Election

Could be on, if next Wed. Enda does not meet the minimum no of Independants, we have already seen one jump ship over a hospital issue, parish pump politics may emerge next week

So the Election could be fought on the simple question of who do you want to form a Gove, MM or EK.

In our fair Fingal, I see the Core FF vote returning O'Brien, and core FG support for Farrell, don't thing Reilly will stand, someone mentioned JP Browne, they might give him a run out.

Ryan has shown he is popular despite Labour's woes, so thats 3 seats

Now the debate will focus on what Daly and SF have done over the past 5 weeks, nothing.

Turn up for expenses, take the Salary, and sit on their hands.
    The ''Burn the Bondholders'' action is receding, and the ''Water ''issue will be resolved by a vote for FF.

I would predict a drop in both their votes, to the extent that FG or FF could nick a second seat, with good vote management.

Interesting few weeks, if Enda has to go to the Park.

I don't think anyone has done anything in the past 5 weeks..

If they eventually decide on a Government, will they be taking their summer holidays in May?

Originally posted by Allyall -- If they eventually decide on a Government, will they be taking their summer holidays in May?
    In one word ...Yes

Maybe we should be grateful for the one thing to come out of the whole sorry mess,at least and at last there has been some measure of Dail reform.
    Hopefully ,we will see the reform continue,like the committee reform's and the fact that a 15 member cross party committee has been mandated to produce real reforms of the Dail.

To avoid any doubt it has been SEVEN (as in 7) weeks of hand sitting and drawing salaries plus ministers who have lost their seats drawing salaries.

jwwb , as you started the thread ,is there anyway to put up a poll?although martinn123 just about summed up the whole situation perfectly.
    In fairness the Fingal result was fairly to be expected,but I wonder what would happen across the country especially if more people were encouraged to vote this time around.
    I think there should be another election .. a minority government won't work ,Finna Fail is not going to replace Labour in backing Fine Gael,only to be blamed for all the sin's of government like Labour were at the next election.

dslamjack wrote: »
    jwwb , as you started the thread ,is there anyway to put up a poll?although martinn123 just about summed up the whole situation perfectly.
    In fairness the Fingal result was fairly to be expected,but I wonder what would happen across the country especially if more people were encouraged to vote this time.

And if an a awful lot more stuff was pointed out to the blind.
    There are some that need to be held by the hand and shown the state of the Country and told the reason(s) why.

martinn123 wrote: »

Now the debate will focus on what Daly and SF have done over the past 5 weeks, nothing.

That's a bit like blaming Belgium for the outbreak of WWII. Even FG+SF wouldn't have had the numbers. The only combination that would work was only ever going to be FFG. So we spent 7 weeks waiting for those guys to cop-on

• Advertisement

I happened to catch a bit of the late/late the other week,just in time for Ryan Tubridy to ask for a show of hand's ....those in favour of an election 50% put their hands up ---- those against 50%put their hand up.
    You're left scratching your head,has it really come to this,
    Originally posted by Allyall -- And if an a awful lot more stuff was pointed out to the blind.
    There are some that need to be held by the hand and shown the state of the Country and told the reason(s) why.
    Allyall ..youre right .. that comedian lad can't remember his name put up a post about the election result saying ,, it was like voting back in the crowd who wrecked your house at a party,and throwing out the crowd who rebuilt and cleaned up the mess after them,we are one very mixed up nation ,to be sure.

jwwb wrote: »
    That's a bit like blaming Belgium for the outbreak of WWII. Even FG+SF wouldn't have had the numbers. The only combination that would work was only ever going to be FFG. So we spent 7 weeks waiting for those guys to cop-on

Not quite true, Daly and Wallace could have joined in the discussions, with the other Independents, on supporting FG or FF.

Despite SF's pre-election stance, given the results of the Election, the voters gave all 157 Deputies the responsibility to form a Gov't. No one actually WON.
    If they did not want to play a part, don't take the salary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Not quite true, Daly and Wallace could have joined in the discussions, with the other Independents, on supporting FG or FF.

Despite SF's pre-election stance, given the results of the Election, the voters gave all 157 Deputies the responsibility to form a Gov't. No one actually WON.
    If they did not want to play a part, don't take the salary.

SF have said since the start that they will speak with anyone about forming a govt. They just won't be a junior partner propping up FF/FG. Surely this is an open goal to the establishment parties?? If as they claim SF will be terrible in govt why not back them as leaders of a minority govt and then when it goes arse over t1ts they can reclaim the votes they've lost to SF.

On the other hand, if SF do a decent job the establishment are up the creek.

I suppose in a way,these minority governments are going to be a feature of the future,with the arrival of SF ,it's like a 3 way split of the popular vote, with a totally fragmented left and the independents to totally split up what's left.
    I just seen the poll ...by mahoganygas here ... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057585696#
    A 3% swing to broadly the same vote but a change in preferences.
    In a way ..IF a National Infrastructure Management Service was set up to encompass and absorb the responsibilities of ,Irish Water ,NAMA, Flood Relief and Housing.
    It could with one fell swoop displace and disenfranchise a large part of that fragmented left,it would be the mother of all quango's ,but could be charged with being self funding or use of the property tax amongst a number of ways to fund it's self and keep the public and Europe happy.
    Just a thought,crazy I know,but anything is possible,I know we've seen Martin and Paisley being bud's,somehow I just don't see the boul Enda and Micheál doing a slowstep any time soon.
    It's possible ,but their is something just totally unnatural about the concept,but these are crazy times ,,,any thing is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

I fail to see the benefit of amalgamating 4 departments with nothing in common into a single utility, whilst also adding an additional layer of management and administration to oversee the new mega-quango?

What synergies would emerge?
    Would there really be economies of scale?

Just look at the HSE.

Yes, it might displace the fragmented left. But at what cost?

National Infrastructure Management Service,the idea was partially from listening to them on the radio the other day saying about retaining IrishWater,under a different guise ,while doing away with the water charges but funding it through the property tax.
    Yes it is a crazy idea,but a national housing agency is needed ,the budget would be massive,maybe it could be set up and merged with NAMA, which probably should have been done in the first place.
    The Shannon water pipeline to Dublin still need's to be done urgently,as does the flood relief of the Shannon,of which the pipe line to Dublin would be a part of,and the budget that will go with it.
    Again I know it's crazy ,like the flood relief crowd that did't meet for 6 years(I bet they were paid),HSE and all the other quango's ...but I could see the thinking behind it , people still like to hear of a new body being set up to address whatever the problem of the moment is.
    It's a bit like them wanting a new minister for housing or a minister for rural affair's,once it's agreed,everyone is happy and the whole problem goes away,real Yes Minister stuff...

Looking at that poll again,40% now saying they's vote exactly the same,maybe a vote could be put in this Dail to force FG/FF to merge or have their funding cut, that't sort them ...the more I look at that poll the more I scratch my head ,how people can vote FF ,like that lad on Facebook said ,their the reason you'll never see you're grand kids,the reason over 300k of our kid's are in foreign lands,as the lad,now in Australia said have you all lost your mind's over there.
    All through the Septic Tiger was their Arrogance and from Prime Time - What's wrong with making the fast buck - they were the ones who are responsible for Irish Water,its true memories are short and eaten bread is soon forgotten.

Looking at that poll again,40% now saying they's vote exactly the same,maybe a vote could be put in this Dail to force FG/FF to merge or have their funding cut, that't sort them ...the more I look at that poll the more I scratch my head ,how people can vote FF ,like that lad on Facebook said ,their the reason you'll never see you're grand kids,the reason over 300k of our kid's are in foreign lands,as the lad,now in Australia said have you all lost your mind's over there.
    All through the Septic Tiger was their Arrogance and from Prime Time - What's wrong with making the fast buck - they were the ones who are responsible for Irish Water,its true memories are short and eaten bread is soon forgotten.

In fairness, the Troika were responsible for Irish Water, or at least the principle of paying for consumption, and the polluter pays.

Phil Hogan Guillotined through the legislation, and probably arranged the Consultants Contracts before heading off to Europe to maximise his Pension.

Every thing you say is true ,Martinn,that is the one thing that has always puzzled me,why Fine Gael were so subservient to the Troika and Europe,they could have been more Bolshoi ,especially over the likes of Irish Water ,what ever happened to ''market forces'' and all that crap ,Deutsche Bank,BNP Paribas,the venture capitalist's and hedge fund's along with the rest of the world,Christ the whole globes financial system went in to melt down,Obama and Merkel and Co were on their knee's praying to God's they did not know exited,looking for deliverance.
    The moron's and carpetbaggers managed to nearly do , what Isis and every terrorist group in the world combined could never do,collapse the world's global economy.
    Look at the Panama Paper's , one insignificant company, a pinprick in a sea of financial filth,what the hell are all these other comanies, finacial advisors and consultant's hiding and up too.
    At another time,if the banks here were let collapse it would have been no big deal , but the domino principle was hovering like the proverbial axe,the Irish government held the line,and basically saved Europe's(French and German Arse's) for them.
    Anyway that's my simple take on it ,and that was then and this is now,Fine Gael and the Nation done as we were told, and we sucked it up and we are now seeing the reward's ,slowly it must be said, but how people here can forgive FF so readily is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

National Infrastructure Management Service,the idea was partially from listening to them on the radio the other day saying about retaining IrishWater,under a different guise ,while doing away with the water charges but funding it through the property tax.
    Yes it is a crazy idea,but a national housing agency is needed ,the budget would be massive,maybe it could be set up and merged with NAMA, which probably should have been done in the first place.

I think there is huge need for a housing agency and it should go hand in hand with N.AMA. Just on the radio today PPS for O'Devanney gardens was discussed and when McNamara went bust Dublin city council should have been given funds to regenerate the area. And the estates NAMA took over should be be taken by the state and used as affordable housing rather than given for a pittance to foreign vulture and pension funds.
    Again I know it's crazy ,like the flood relief crowd that did't meet for 6 years(I bet they were paid),HSE and all the other quango's ...but I could see the thinking behind it , people still like to hear of a new body being set up to address whatever the problem of the moment is.
    It's a bit like them wanting a new minister for housing or a minister for rural affair's,once it's agreed,everyone is happy and the whole problem goes away,real Yes Minister stuff...

Problem with the quangos is the staffing, in the wrong areas. Look at HSE/Tusla. Lots of staff pushing pens while we cry out for social workers and front line staff. No problem with another quango if there is serious accountability.

Im in the minority who dont blame FF for the crash. I lay this solely or 95% at the door of the bankers, pillars of society who played poker with our money and lost. I think having listened to Kevin Cardiff that the late Brian Lenihan was led up the garden path, they (Bwankers) were not painting the full picture

Phil Hogan Guillotined through the legislation, and probably arranged the Consultants Contracts before heading off to Europe to maximise his Pension.

Of that you can be sure.

Advertisement