Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Fingal General Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

I see FF resorting to childish name calling and tagging their counterpart's in the ''inter party'' negotiations with names from Dallas,according to one of the morning papers.
    As jwwb said - SEVEN (as in 7) weeks of hand sitting and drawing salaries plus ministers who have lost their seats drawing salaries.
    And this is the best they can do,I wonder at times do we need a military coup, people crying on floors and trolley's in hospitals,the Garda threatening to march on Dáil Éireann in full uniform,government or no government,and not giving a toss as to it being illegal for them to do so,who's going to arrest them.
    What an unholy shameful mess a right sorry page in the history of the state,an election should be called next Wednesday if no government is formed,maybe a bit like the Maastricht vote ,we can get it right second time round, we hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

dslamjack wrote: »
    maybe a bit like the Maastricht vote ,we can get it right second time round, we hope.

and the rest.

This is a disgusting mess.
    So I presume the elected are drawing a salary, James Reilly et al, also?
    The holidays coming soon.
    And they're not bothered one bit.

They know Sinn Fein don't have enough, Labour Pfffft... Indies nope... Renua.. sorry... GP.. Who?..........

FG/FF sitting in a bar somewhere laughing at their security and all fighting over who's going to get the non-existent bar tab.
    One party to destroy it, one to make it worse and one who can't get in.

I hope now SF get in and bring a few extra gatecrashers to the party.
    There's NO WAY they could make things worse. If anything I believe they're going to be so self aware, that they would do their utmost to help the Country (the first time anyway).

This is pathetic.

Well I've always reckoned that Fingal is the 33rd County,maybe we should read our own proclamation out side the Castle in Swords,and declare Fingal an independent State,like a Fingalexit.
    That old saying of a people getting the government they deserve,is't even holding up in this case,I wonder can Micheal D, declare a state of emergency and run the country, with the council of state.
    Like that bugger of a judge said year's ago,it's an appalling vista or as Charlie said ...GUBU .. I think it was..if it goes on much longer ,NAMA will be looking for possession of Leinster House.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭jwwb

Having taken the weekend off we can now get back to the business of not forming a government. Interesting link which shows how much our elected representatives have cost us since the election

https://www.kildarestreet.com/clock/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

LeoB wrote: »
    I lay this solely or 95% at the door of the bankers, pillars of society who played poker with our money and lost.

Interesting.

Which bankers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Interesting.

Which bankers?

There is one living in Skerries, who will have to face the music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

martinn123 wrote: »
    There is one living in Skerries, who will have to face the music.

There are 90,000 people working in banking in Ireland.

What about the other 89,999?

That's an excellent link jwwb ...https://www.kildarestreet.com/clock/.
    I thought Mr D was very silly to go to the States,he must have had millions statched to pay them American lawyers, they charge even more by the nano second ,than the shower here.
    He'd have saved a fortune if he has stayed here,he probably spent more time in jail in the states,than he ever will here,he could always run for the Dail,nothing would surprise me.
    I see Labour and the Greens now talking to FG, that would bring the number to 59,and they would still need at least 19 of the independents to give them a majority.
    As I was saying above,it looks like Greek/Italian style government from now on,elections twice a year?
    I went back to look at the final count http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2016/ ...
    no matter what way you do the sum's,unless FF/FG merge or SF/Lab ,to create some sort of defined Right/Left Party system,then we will remain as we are indefinitely.
    SF coming on the scene was the final straw,their just is't enough seat's to go around,I'm no mathematician ,but does that mean they need to double or treble the amount of seat's , to make the percentage's work?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

I recommend that you if you voted Alan Farrell or Darragh O'Brien in the election that you contact their offices and inform them that if this goes to a second election that you will not be giving them a first or any preference. And if they add that they have little control over how it plays out, remind them you voted for the party and not them , as lets face it , you probably haven't seen either men in years, only when it's time to get a vote.

These people need to get the message that this political dance is not appreciated.

BKWDR wrote: »
    I recommend that you if you voted Alan Farrell or Darragh O'Brien in the election that you contact their offices and inform them that if this goes to a second election that you will not be giving them a first or any preference. And if they add that they have little control over how it plays out, remind them you voted for the party and not them , as lets face it , you probably haven't seen either men in years, only when it's time to get a vote.

These people need to get the message that this political dance is not appreciated.

Tell them that you will be giving them last preference. That's worse than giving them no preference.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Allyall --Tell them that you will be giving them last preference. That's worse than giving them no preference.
    That's where Darragh O'Brien ended up on my ballad paper,first time I ever voted FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭koutoubia

ThIing is a goverment has to be formed before the Brits vote to stay or leave Euro zone.
    If they vote yes whoever is in government have to be on the ball.
    If we have no goverment then it could go arseways really quicky.
    So to us a phrase...They should 'Sh1t or get off the pot' and call another election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

If there is an out vote it will take at least two years to happen.

Are we there yet -Are we there yet ,the nation is still being treated like kid's in the back seat,nearly 2 months on,all they have to do is say Irish Water is scrapped and the charges with it,then give it a new name like ''National infrastructure management Agency'' retain the USC charge or property tax to fund it,with the option to ''source independent self financing measure's'' at an indeterminable time in the future,the job would be oxo,every body including the sinners and the loony left be happy.
    Are we going to see Enda and Micheál playing patty cakes and tip toeing thru the tulip's,ye know it might just happen ,if the ground start's shaking some time next week,that will be Dev an Oliver J. Flanagan not only turning,but doing cartwheel's in their grave's.
    I wunder will they put names in the hat for the post's and new rural affairs gig or err will a FF Td be in charge of a new housing portfollio,seeing they have a history in that area,I had to put that in,well we'll just have to wait n see ,and listen for the rumble, for the record ...https://www.kildarestreet.com/clock/

Are we there yet -Are we there yet ,the nation is still being treated like kid's in the back seat,nearly 2 months on,all they have to do is give Irish Water a new name like ''National infrastructure management Agency'' retain the USC charge or property tax to fund it,with the option to ''source independent self financing measure's'' at an indeterminable time in the future,the job would be oxo,every body including the sinners and the loony left be happy.
    Are we going to see Enda and Micheál playing patty cakes and tip toeing thru the tulip's,ye know it might just happen ,if the ground start's shaking some time next week,that will be Dev an Oliver J. Flanagan not only turning,but doing cartwheel's in their grave's.
    I wunder will they put names in the hat for the post's and new rural affairs gig or err will a FF Td be in charge of a new housing portfollio,seeing they have a history in that area,I had to put that in,well we'll just have to wait n see ,and listen for the rumble, for the record ...https://www.kildarestreet.com/clock/

NIMA. :(

I don't believe they either want to be here. But both are afraid for their lives that they may not get it in next time, and sher, they may as well collect a swag wage while they're there. It's all for a good cause. To clock in the weeks and percentage toward their pension when they retire.
    When do we start kicking up?

They're not back in until Tuesday..

There's probably not a lot of kicking up to be done ,apart from another election,as I said above ,SF really upset the whole cosy little apple cart that was FG/FF ,vote splitting qambango,now amazingly enough they might even get to realise that a slow set together might't be all bad, they get to share the spoil's,if the the set or the soup goes bad,they can blame the other shower.
    It dawned on me the other night ,looking at the 6/5 news our politician's for all their worthlessness ,are as bloody professional and astute as the most useless of them any where, so yes a deal may be done , and for all the hissy fit's and tantrum's ,behind it all, the sap's know they have it made.
    BUT,if they blow it, then we are all proverbially fluxed, because what will follow will not be pretty or happy,it will be like a sad balloon after the party,slowly,slowly deflating.
    The sooner the engagement is over the better,like all arranged marriage's,as Tina Turner say's--what's love got to do with it,we're not asking them to LUV each other ,just get on with it all ready ,they already know it make's sense.
    That's me ...Topshop Time,cye now

Clost to 2 million now - https://www.kildarestreet.com/clock/

They could use that to refund the people who paid the water charges (and at least another 20 other things.).

jwwb wrote: »

So if Enda heads to the Park this week, will she stand again in the GE in Fingal.

So if Enda heads to the Park this week, will she stand again in the GE in Fingal.

That's what she's being positioned for

• Advertisement

jwwb wrote: »
    That's what she's being positioned for

Well I suppose it did work for Darragh O'Brien, and Jim Glennon, before that, If I am not mistaken.

Well there was white smoke seen above Government building's this morning,there was a bit of excitement,then they remembered that's for the Pope.
    Thank God, there has't been a national disaster,they really are taking the mick now,60 day's of this carry on, and looking at the poll http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057585696# ..
    nothing has changed,people will still vote the same ,even when it came to the nation being asked about arming the Garda,their's a 50/50 split in opinion,it like the nation has lapsed in to a state of abject apathy...at this rate it could be 100 years,it's not like their going to do anything once the do or don't is over.
    Because nothing will change anyway,even if there is another election according to the poll above,you'd think they'd cop on to that fact at least and get the Deal done,because at the end of the day in politic's a deal has to be done.
    I just hope ,we're not going to go thru all this again in 3 month's time ,now that would be unforgivable.

If it's not sorted by the 9 O'clock news, my money is on Enda heading to the park.

The Election will have 2 issues, Enda or Michael for Taoiseach, and Irish Water

The Independents will suffer, as will SF, so I predict a huge change in voting patterns.

To be honest Martin, it could go that way , BUT looking at at Mahogany's poll, another election may well churn up more of the same, with 46% saying they'd vote exactly the same ,along with 30% the same with a change of preference,it is of course the curse of the FG/FF vote split, but with SF now on the scene,they just gate crashed the party,and they ain't gonna go away,it's a right old mess and no mistake,interesting to see in half an hour or so ....I'm all for moments in history ...like the Berlin Wall falling .. Martin + Big Ian being Bud's , can Enda + Micheál be bud too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

FF & FG are not that different that the shouldn't be already brokering some deal. Ultimately i do feel that they will come to a deal and there wont be a second election. I think this prolonged debate about irish water now is putting FG in a bad light so they will be eager to get some form of gov across the line.

I think if a deal is done and done on Irish Water too maybe it was best that it played out like this. Forced parties to stand over their election promises

There saying in the papers/media at the moment that Irish Water (4 what that will be worth,but both parties will standover) is sorted and negotiation's have moved on to the nitty gritty's of a deal,who get's what from the cake,I presume.
    You can bet FG want to shaft FF with the same portfolio they shafted Lab with,there will be noway FF will let themselves be shafted like that.
    There was a list some where yesterday with a list,one put Richard Bruton as minister for health,we'll just have to wait n see who gets what.
    I'm going on the assumption of them being in government together,not FF supporting a minority FG shindig from the sidelines,we all know that would never last.
    Let's hope the deal is done today,and in time,they will be wandering why they did't get together sooner ,cause they know it make's sense.
    The real truth is they would have carried on''business as usual'' but for the arrival of SF on the dance floor,the day's of FF at one end of the hall and FG at the other are gone.
    Just like the arrival of Bill Haley and Dickie Rock ,the ballroom of romance days are gone,and things will never be the same,lets just hope they get on with it and we get news today.

I think the whole charade, has been so FF could be seen to humiliate Enda.
    He is so determined to be re-elected, they see an opportunity for revenge.

Enda wants to issue a statement confirming he is the first FG Taoiseach to be re-elected, and wallow in self congratulations, so he will swallow any pill to gain that credit

He can then swan around Europe for the next two years, saying
    '' lad's i'm 66, I have a few good years in me yet, any chance of a gig ''

Merkel will appoint him as roving ambassador for Europe to something like John Bruton got, the UN, and then he can retire on his TD's, Ministers, Teachers, Old Age, and European Pensions.

Or am I being cynical.

Or am I being cynical.

Yes. But so am I.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by martinn123 View Post

Or am I being cynical.
    Yes. But so am I.

and me ... one of them gig's was always on the card's for Enda,God alone knows he's done a few favours for Merkel.
    The one great thing about any couple splitting is one can always blame the other and claim the moral high ground,I think this more than any thing will appeal to both side's at the end of the day,like a kind of insurance.
    Leo's day is drawing nigh,Enda won't last for sure ,one way or another, unlike the bouel Micheál,who can do n wrong,he who saved the Lazarus that was FF and in doing so pulled off one of the most remarkable comeback's in political history.
    Err there's a thought , if they are joined in the unison of government ,and Enda goes in favour of Leo, does Micheál become Taoiseach by default with Leo as Tánaiste ,interesting times ahead , ye coul't make this stuff up.

• Advertisement

Err there's a thought , if they are joined in the unison of government ,and Enda goes in favour of Leo, does Micheál become Taoiseach by default with Leo as Tánaiste ,interesting times ahead , ye coul't make this stuff up.

I think the deal is for FF to abstain in the vote for Taoiseach, not for them to join in a coalition, so no FF Ministers

Remember if this is done today, it still needs a few Independents to get Enda over the line

So over the weekend we will see deals for new roundabouts in Kerry, a hospital in Waterford, and assorted new Parish Pumps erected.

It's not over yet.

Advertisement