Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Fingal General Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

That's us in Fingal fluxed so, not even a new hospital ,maybe metro north-Large not Lite ,if were good,no word of Claire ,will she be votin for the deal?
    By the way ,just seen this on the Indo ...After 61 days Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil have finally agreed on the suspension of water charges, clearing the way for a new government . ...... http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/water/irish-water-crisis/irish-water-the-10-things-you-need-to-know-about-what-happens-next-34664525.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

dslamjack wrote: »
    That's us in Fingal fluxed so, not even a new hospital ,maybe metro north-Large not Lite ,if were good,no word of Claire ,will she be votin for the deal?

Clare is getting the new Runway, at the Airport.

Herself and Mick will be patrolling it, in their High Viz jackets, just in case some rendition flights are diverted from Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

martinn123 wrote: »
    Or am I being cynical.

I'm convinced they both want to be the party that controls the water charges, so they can appoint their buddies in positions around it.
    It's the last body left to make some other pals wealthy. It's probably also why Enda has such a hard on for it. I mean, surely there are plenty of issues far more important than the water charges that Enda told us we were getting whether we like it or not.
    I'll bet he's had his eye on the water since '79.

And so it goes on ..day 62,,the word is FF will support FG for three budget's,but the consensus among all concerned is that any minority government would be lucky to see one budget,let alone 3.
    The hypocrisy of all concerned on Irish Water is sickening,it's hard to believe we have this rely on this shower to provide any type of government.
    Bird's of a feather and all that,no wonder we are where we are,it's like sitting waiting for the tide to turn,with your back to the sea or the bell to ring on the last day of school before summer.

You know, you like me are probably about as sick of FG AND FF at this stage as me,maybe a common movement like that grew to do away with Water charge's needs to come about to rid ourselves of this lamentable shower of losers, because I know one thing if either of the elected and Invisible sap's - Darragh O'Brien or Alan Farrell ,come looking for a vote in the next while ... they'll be lucky to see the end of my driveway , useless - useless - useless, a waste of space both of them ,and they know about Boards.ie .... A Thundering Disgrace.

• Advertisement

You know, you like me are probably about as sick of FG AND FF at this stage as me,maybe a common movement like that grew to do away with Water charge's needs to come about to rid ourselves of this lamentable shower of losers, because I know one thing if either of the elected and Invisible sap's - Darragh O'Brien or Alan Farrell ,come looking for a vote in the next while ... they'll be lucky to see the end of my driveway , useless - useless - useless, a waste of space both of them ,and they know about Boards.ie .... A Thundering Disgrace.

While I agree the length of time it has taken to get close to a Govt is inexcusable, in fairness this was the hand we the electorate dealt.
    No one Won the Election, and Michael O'Leary put it well, when he said it's because we keep voting for the local lunatic.

So what have our local rep's done

Clare Daly, is she on holiday, not a word
    Brendan Ryan, after the kicking Labour got, licking his wounds and keeping the head down
    The SF Lady, not a word, out of sight.

So 3 out of 5, play no part in trying to get a Gov't in place.......who's fault is that.....maybe the Electorate

At least FG and FF, have tried, not very well, but they are trying.
    As for Water, well it's not so long since thousands marched through the streets demanding an end to Irish Water.....how many TD's got elected on a no water charges ticket.....it was not going away, as a problem to be tackled.

That was my thundering Rant of the day Martin ,, it's a right old mess,it was like the film - a bridge too far.
    I suppose some thing had to give and in fairness people used to say years ago about how'd they would tax us for drinking water and that it would be the last straw.
    The shocking fact is that the water/sewage/flooding issues need sorting now,you only have to look at the local papers in Fingal over the last week's ,Portrane the latest Fingal beach to lose the blue flag,raw sewage still been pumped in to the sea in Balbriggan and Rush ,effecting the entire coastline down to Howth.
    Let alone,that if the housing crisis is to be sorted,serviced development land is needed,with water/sewage available,not in planning till the year dot.
    The Rush sewage issue is an example of the mess it's in.
    And the water pipeline from the Shannon,be it from the Parteen Basin or from Lough Corrib need's to be built,as much and as part of the Shannon flooding problem,as the urgent need Dublin has for water, because if a drought arise's this summer,there will be water restrictions,it is that vital.
    It's at a time like this we need a statesman like Lemass, and Enda and sundry just don't fit the bill,unfortunately for us.
    I suppose the whole sorry saga will play it's self out in the end,but I think it's going to be slow,lethargic,one step back ,like watching paint dry stuff,and after all as you said Martin,it's what we voted for.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭jwwb

martinn123 wrote: »
    While I agree the length of time it has taken to get close to a Govt is inexcusable, in fairness this was the hand we the electorate dealt.
    No one Won the Election, and Michael O'Leary put it well, when he said it's because we keep voting for the local lunatic.

So what have our local rep's done

Clare Daly, is she on holiday, not a word
    Brendan Ryan, after the kicking Labour got, licking his wounds and keeping the head down
    The SF Lady, not a word, out of sight.

So 3 out of 5, play no part in trying to get a Gov't in place.......who's fault is that.....maybe the Electorate

At least FG and FF, have tried, not very well, but they are trying.
    As for Water, well it's not so long since thousands marched through the streets demanding an end to Irish Water.....how many TD's got elected on a no water charges ticket.....it was not going away, as a problem to be tackled.

Clare Daly sitting beside Mick Wallace as he spoke about visit to refugee camp.
    Louise O'Reilly on Prime Time last night. She seems to be getting pushed forward alot - wonder if they have big plans for her.
    Alan Farrell seems to have a gig as the spare Caherloch (don't know the spelling)
    O'Brien haven't seen much of - think he might be on radio a bit particularly the late debate on RTE
    Ryan as anonymous as ever

Don't think FG and FF are really trying that hard. Leo clearly more interested in Enda's job. They are both more interested in positioning themselves than anything national. As I said blaming the smaller parties is like blaming Belgium for the ourbreak of WW2

I turned off drivetime on the radio,when imself started crying in Calais,maybe that's the best place for the pair of them,they should be asked to resign and the pair of them can spend all the time they want talking nonsense to the unfortunates over there,Christ that's all them poor people needed.
    You would think there is enough for the pair of them to be doing here,Claire is quickly becoming a liability, I'm not going to say any thing about him ,except only here....Actually No ,now their on the continent they should do us all a favour and call in on Ming ,and have an extended Amsterdam break,ye know pass the dutchie ,bang on dark side of the moon, talk to the homeless in Amsterdam ,and don't hurry back any time soon.

Looks like we have a deal.
    Just need to sort out a few road building contracts in Killarney.

My comments regarding the lack of visibility of 3 of our TD's was in the context of Gov't Formation, if Clare and Mick want to tour Callais, that's fair enough.

• Advertisement

Yep,I hav't got the main news,but believe a deal has been done,do we all fall on our knee's now? .. in joyful salutation ...will say nothing till later ... all together now .. hallelujah

Well,the cold light of morning and one of the main paper headlines say a FG minority govt - run by FF ,
    so basically a FF lite manifesto.
    Does it really matter if the government can get formed and let everybody move on from this limbo.
    Even if it only last's 6 month's ,it will be enough time for things to settle and new scandal's to take peoples minds off Irish Water.
    Sure they will hardly give up their holiday's to make up for the fact ,they haven't done a tap for over 2 month's,with a full summer sports calender between the Euro's and the Olympics,it will give all and sundry to come up with even more cunning plans in the event of another election.

Holidays?
    Farrell is just back from Spain.

So are we still paying James Reilly et al? - No doubt. Get one last long weekend out of it.
    Also wondering, is the Dail breakup already scheduled, or are they going to have to decide when to do that?

68 day's and still yapping in there , they probably will need a rest after all the ''talking'',poor lambs... well the clock is at 2.3 million now .. that's an expensive lot of talking , let's all hope the show lasts longer than the rehearsal's.

68 day's and still yapping in there , they probably will need a rest after all the ''talking'',poor lambs... well the clock is at 2.3 million now .. that's an expensive lot of talking , let's all hope the show lasts longer than the rehearsal's.

That would be some kind of special, if the actual Government lasted less time than the cráp it took to agree on one (while only focussing on one topic).
    They should hand back the wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

68 day's and still yapping in there

Spain went twice that long without a government.
    The King has just dissolved parliament and sent them back to the polls.

Keep in mind that a second election would cost us €4m.
    They are right to take their time and at at least attempt a government formation. No point running straight into it if there are no agreed policies and it collapses at the first Dail vote.

Well Enda ,say's if the independents are good they can have a Mighty Mac instead of sharing a chicken snack box ....http://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/national/photo-of-enda-kenny-having-a-meeting-in-supermacs-goes-viral/ar-BBsAjCZ?ocid=spartandhp

Denis not happy that the water charges have been suspended. Some cajones.

Apparently, it's because our water supply is "Victorian" that he's so worried.

Maybe the DOB wanted to put in for a licence.
    Well their saying thing's might be sorted this Friday,with FG giving Independents 5 ministerial seats at the cabinet table.
    FG are looking for the support of at least 8 of the 14 non party independents.
    FG and FF will review the deal around the end of 2018 ,all going well.

Deal can be seen here ...https://d11oz1xo3vrzp6.cloudfront.net/publish/2016/5/3/88208b4076b3494ba01e02979e696d42.mp4

Only an hour to go, until we ''might'' get a Govt.

So what of Dr J Reilly.

After collecting his salary, for being a Temporary Minister, while not a TD, and after collecting his ''disappointment money'' for failing to get Elected, does he

Return to his medical practice
    Retire to his Country Pile
    Live on the South Beach.
    Return to Property Development

Thoughts??

• Advertisement

70 days on ,and we may be in business by this afternoon,with 4 ministerial seats going to independent Td's.
    The new government will be made up of 11 Fine Gael TDs and three Independents.
    Two new portfolio's of a minister for rural affairs and housing.
    By all account's the new programme for government is the largest and most comprehensive programme for government in the history of the state.
    A program for government called 'A Partnership for a Fairer Ireland', sets out a five-year plan, even though Fine Gael's agreement with Fianna Fáil for the facilitation of a minority government is subject to review at the end of 2018.
    The programme states that health and housing are the key targets of the new Government.
    It promises to meet a target of 25,000 new homes every year by 2020 and to end homelessness,and to target waiting times in A+E Unit's across to reduce the waiting times to the ''accepted'' target of 4 hour's.
    All going well ,Enda will do tae in the Aras and return to government building's as Taoiseach and set about forming the new cabinet.
    Hallelujah ,let the sky's open and sun shine forth on our much put upon nation,let's all hope that the show's last's and maybe -- dare we hope , a rainbow success or riverdance moment in our political history ,let's hope so.

I'm sure James will be busy,one way or another,he's still deputy leader of Fine Gael,he could return to medicine,he was a very good doctor and his clinic was the largest in the state.
    I think the country pile is gone,but he is well placed to ''offer'' his experience ,what with all the quango's and other concerns that litter the state.
    Is it too late for him to go in the senate?.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm James will be busy,one way or another,he's still deputy leader of Fine Gael,he could return to medicine,he was a very good doctor and his clinic was the largest in the state.
    I think the country pile is gone,but he is well placed to ''offer'' his experience ,what with all the quango's and other concerns that litter the state.
    Is it too late for him to go in the senate?.

He won't be deputy by this evening and his surgery in Lusk was definitely not even close to the largest in the state

I can't wait.
    70 days of two polar opposite parties coming together and sorting through all and any portential motions, put aside their differences, find middleground on major issues, and form the perfect government.
    Had the Dark Side and Light Side of the Force joined up and agreed that the death star could exist, but only if set to stun, this would be considered similiar.
    With all of those issues, pre-agreed to. It must be good times ahead.

Originally posted by L1011 - He won't be deputy by this evening and his surgery in Lusk was definitely not even close to the largest in the state
    He may not be a Td,but he will still be deputy leader of Fine Gael.
    It may not be the Largest practise in the state ,but it was a very large practise ,and he was /is an excellent GP.
    As I type Enda ,just elected Taoiseach,and will no doubt be off to the Aras soon,I bet James will be sorted too,no doubt,there were pretty nasty exchanges all morning in the house ,made a Conor McGregor fight look like a picnic,let hope they can be nice from here on in.

It's over at last

Kenny gets 59 votes, and is off to the Park, to be appointed Taoiseach

Suggest you don't lock this thread, as we may be back here very soon.:eek:

Suggest you don't lock this thread, as we may be back here very soon.
    -- nice one martinn ...like I said above lets hope the show last's longer than the rehearsals.

Well not to be a negative neddy now and all that but the clock is at ...https://www.kildarestreet.com/clock/ and a breakdown of the pay etc over the 70 days here ... http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2016/revealed-the-salaries-tds-pocketed-over-10-weeks-of-government-talks-34691439.html ... what can you say except thank God ,we might as last get some work out of the buggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Almost certain to be given to Frances Fitzgerald.
    It may not be the Largest practise in the state ,but it was a very large practise

It wasn't that big at all, really.

• Advertisement

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dslamjack View Post
    Almost certain to be given to Frances Fitzgerald.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dslamjack View Post
    It may not be the Largest practise in the state ,but it was a very large practise
    It wasn't that big at all, really.
    Pedantic is the word for that above .... errr .. being deputy leader of a political party is not the same as being Tanaiste,errrrr it was announced that Tanaiste and minister for Justice was Frances Fitzgerald at about 18.30 hrs or so ,long before 20.05 hrs ... and a medical practise with 4 doctors is fairly large and a very large number of medical card holders, due to the fact that a village of just over 2,500 people grew to a population of near 6,000 people in the boom year's,and probably a hell of a lot more ,with the local people fighting ,like every other community in NCD for every scrap of social investment it could get , because politician's had not learned from the 70's and building housing without amenities.
    James Reilly might be a lot of things to different people,but he was/is a fine GP,who served the community here damm well before ,Lusk became a mini town,without half the amenities that other centres of populations of equal size have,and that the independent's gave their vote's for to secure for their own communities.

Advertisement