Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower pull switch replacment

Options
  • 08-10-2015 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

I'm looking at replacing the pull switch on my shower.

It's a Triton T90z 8.5K 230v. 8500W at 230V draws 37A approximately so 45 Amp one should be OK by my calculations but would love input. Any recommendations on brands?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I recommened a good quality switch such MK Crabtree from an electrical wholesaler.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,097 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

A good quality 50 amp will last longer. A lot of the cheaper 45amp ones are not fit for electric shower despite being rated at 45amp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    A good quality 50 amp will last longer. A lot of the cheaper 45amp ones are not fit for electric shower despite being rated at 45amp

Are there a couple of make ups for shower pull switches or are they all the same? Like input - output? Just looking around for the right one at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,097 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Are there a couple of make ups for shower pull switches or are they all the same? Like input - output? Just looking around for the right one at the moment.

They all have L N E in and L N E out though they may not be labelled in and out.
    The difference in price in an electrical wholesalers is around 9 Euro for a complete rubbish 45amp to 15 Euro or so for a quality 50amp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    They all have L N E in and L N E out though they may not be labelled in and out.
    The difference in price in an electrical wholesalers is around 9 Euro for a complete rubbish 45amp to 15 Euro or so for a quality 50amp

I would rather pay for the quality one then replace it again in a few month or even worse.

Thanks for all your advise people!

• Advertisement

Using the pullswitch as an isolator and the one on the shower for on/off prolongs the life of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

aujopimur wrote: »
    Using the pullswitch as an isolator and the one on the shower for on/off prolongs the life of it.

You mean people get out of the showeer while its running and turn if off with the pull cord?!:confused:
    I tried to convince a relative to not leave the switch on continuously, but with no load I'm not convinced it makes a difference to the switch, I just consider its a better safer practice for it to be turned off.
    But turning it off while its still running, I'd think it would shorten the life of the switch.

I'll explain a bit better, Pullcord on shower switch on--shower switch off pullcord off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I doubt many get out of the shower while its running, and switch off with the pull chord, but maybe some do.

I myself never switch off the isolator. It's a wall mounted one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Bruthal wrote: »
    I myself never switch off the isolator. It's a wall mounted one.

100% on the wall swith

the wall switch on my mothers shower lasted 26 years, outlasted about 8 showers, the only way to go. Mine are in 12 years with no issue. MK 45 Amp single gang wall switches right beside the wall switch .

• Advertisement
Advertisement