Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An post tv license

Options
  • 08-10-2015 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

I was out of work during the summer and knew I wouldn't be able to meet my direct debits for August. One of which is 13.33 per month for my tv license.

Contacted them to explain and ask if they would postpone one payment and take for both the following month. This was fine with all my other direct debits. I was told no they can't postpone but that if the direct debit was refused they would just take two next month anyway.

Contacted my bank who sent me forms to fill out. They said the new sepa system allows customers to stop one payment without canceling the direct debit. I filled out the forms for each direct debit and went about my business.

Got an angry letter from an post the end of September saying my license was canceled and I should post it back in. Inspectors had been informed. I contacted them to explain the situation and that I had been informed it was OK to do what I did. They wouldn't reinstate the direct debit and are saying I have to cough up €100+ euros or go to court.
    Asked for someone from direct debits to contact me. Had a very angry man get in touch saying things along the lines of 'you can't just...' 'You just hear what you want to hear . Totally unprofessional, over-emotional and seemed oblivious to the sepa direct debit system.

He's now starting legal proceedings apparently? Just contacted my bank, waiting to hear back from them as I'm sure the direct debit had been canceled by an post and not them. Since this is our arrangement and I have not canceled it surely I have some rights here?

Can anyone offer up some advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Their terms state - Non-receipt of any instalment due on your television licence fee will result in the revocation of the licence and you will then be obliged to purchase a replacement licence in full or face prosecution for the breach of Broadcasting Legislation.

There doesn't seem to be much you can do. Seems harsh though.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭irish_dave_83

Their terms state - Non-receipt of any instalment due on your television licence fee will result in the revocation of the licence and you will then be obliged to purchase a replacement licence in full or face prosecution for the breach of Broadcasting Legislation.

There doesn't seem to be much you can do. Seems harsh though.

If he was given an assurance by An Post, it negates this term, as they have breach the term not him. Any proceedings against him would fall in court because he has shown good faith from the outset. Of course he would have to prove this, which is where the issue would be. He could request a copy of the phone call he made in August under Data Protection. If he gets that he would have it.

It appears to me An Post are being unreasonable here, and I imagine there was miscommunication somewhere along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

If he was given an assurance by An Post, it negates this term, as they have breach the term not him. Any proceedings against him would fall in court because he has shown good faith from the outset. Of course he would have to prove this, which is where the issue would be. He could request a copy of the phone call he made in August under Data Protection. If he gets that he would have it.

It appears to me An Post are being unreasonable here, and I imagine there was miscommunication somewhere along the way.

Thank you. This is exactly how I feel. The question is is it worth going to court over? For me the real issue here is the mentality of the people I'm dealing with. The overall attitude was 'you have to do what I say because I'm in charge' and I'm just being a 'chancer' for even attempting to point out the shades of grey between black and white.

The guy I spoke to wouldn't listen to anything I had to say by way of clarifying. He even tried to say I was lying!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If I were you I'd have cancelled the direct debit altogether, sent the licence back and then do a brand new application with your middle name and set up a new direct debit using the same account.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭irish_dave_83

I suppose you could try dialogue with them again, and maybe speak to a manager or someone with power that will listen to you. Afterall you are not refusing to pay the full amount. As far as they know you may not have a €100 to spare to pay in one lump sum, hence the reason you use direct debit.

I would suggest contacting them again, stand your ground without being disrespectful to them. Any reasonable person can see this. It doesn't take much effort to change the direct debit to take €26 (or €39 by the time it is sorted) for one month and then normal service resumes at €13 for the remaining months.

If you have no joy, you can pay on their terms or let them bring you to court. If you go to court try and get the August call recording from them although they will probably ask you to make a Data Access request (€6.35 admin charge unless they waive it).

• Advertisement

I suppose you could try dialogue with them again, and maybe speak to a manager or someone with power that will listen to you. Afterall you are not refusing to pay the full amount. As far as they know you may not have a €100 to spare to pay in one lump sum, hence the reason you use direct debit.

I would suggest contacting them again, stand your ground without being disrespectful to them. Any reasonable person can see this. It doesn't take much effort to change the direct debit to take €26 (or €39 by the time it is sorted) for one month and then normal service resumes at €13 for the remaining months.

If you have no joy, you can pay on their terms or let them bring you to court. If you go to court try and get the August call recording from them although they will probably ask you to make a Data Access request (€6.35 admin charge unless they waive it).

Thanks for this. If you can believe it it was the manager I was speaking to! I feel I've burned a bridge there as after having him ignore what I was saying for a good 10 minutes and every sentence from him starting with 'you can't just..'
    I told him he was ignoring basic facts and being ignorant.
    My bad but a man in his position should have basic reasoning skills. He seemed to take personal offence to my arrangement with the bank and was acting on principal. I know a petty tyrant when I meet one so will be coughing up when I get the next angry letter. Who has time to go to court over 13.33 direct debit?!
    It will be my last license though.
    An post really needs to move into the 21st century. It was like talking to someone stuck in the 50s!

If I were you I'd have cancelled the direct debit altogether, sent the licence back and then do a brand new application with your middle name and set up a new direct debit using the same account.

Problem is the direct debit isn't treated like others. It's monthly installments of the full price so if you cancel, in their eyes you then owe the outstanding balance.
    Seems like a good idea but it would mean I owe them for the existing and would essentially be buying another!

Advertisement