Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number Cruncher/Media Server Build

Options
  • 08-10-2015 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

1. What is your budget? [€500] could possibly go higher as I realise I might not get what I need for 500 but really don't want to go higher than 700.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Data analysis of datasets that could be a couple of million records.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes] Windows 7

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080 [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Wireless Card

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? [Any method]

9. When are you purchasing? [Not for a while yet. Need to know how much to budget so it's partly the reason I'm here.]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [No help needed]

Hi

I need a machine that can be used for data analysis on fairly large datasets so I'm guessing I'll need a decent processor and a good bit of ram. It doesn't have to be ultra quick but it can't be dog slow either.

I also intend to use it as a plex server to stream movies over a home network so I'd be looking to have a couple of terabit hard drives in it too. One hard drive is enough to start to keep costs down but I'd be planning to add more later on.

One last thing is that I'd like it to be as small as possible. I'd happy with a fairly normal sized box but nothing to big.

I reckon I'm asking for a lot here for the money so any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

i5 4460 €175
    16gb DDR3 €80
    H81M board €50
    300w PSU €30
    2tb HDD €90
    mATX case €30
    120gb SSD €60
    Total €515

Prices from mindfactory.de

Windows is €20 from Reddit.

Any questions ask away

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭friso59

i5 4460 €175
    16gb DDR3 €80
    H81M board €50
    300w PSU €30
    2tb HDD €90
    mATX case €30
    120gb SSD €60
    Total €515

Prices from mindfactory.de

Windows is €20 from Reddit.

Any questions ask away

Fantastic. Thanks a mill for that. I had a look there and it's actually very similar to my work machine so it looks perfect. You've really helped me out there.

Space for a couple more hard drives in there too!

Advertisement