Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Base for shed

Options
  • 08-10-2015 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭

I'm putting a shed in the back garden. I want to put down the easiest type of base - partially because I want to get it in before the winter and also because I don't have side access to back garden - I was looking at the Eco Base (and similar) systems e.g. https://www.swiftfoundations.co.uk/ecobase/

These seem to be widely available in the UK but I can't find a supplier in Ireland - anyone come across these before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

What sort of shed are you installing?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi use you could use plastic pallets. jack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

I saw something similar in B&Q Galway. Might be worth a look. I think about 20 euro per m2

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭allycavs

Hi if this is a basic shed say 10 ft by 10ft just put in cavity blocks (4 for the corners) and additional 4 for middle of each side and additional few in round centre of base underneath maybe in a diamond shape (another 4) if you want to be very quick.

I dug out perimeter for my shed and put row of blocks all way round perimeter. .it shouldnt take that long and alls your doing is raising shed maybe 75-100mm from ground level so it doesn't rot from the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jennyjoy

I agree with allycavs. You are basically raising your shed ever so slight off the ground to help prevent rotting. You could throw down concrete pads to do the exact thing if you can't find the eco base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Thanks folks - will go with the blocks. I have a lot of paving slabs spare in the garden - any reason they wouldn't work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

okedoke wrote: »
    Thanks folks - will go with the blocks. I have a lot of paving slabs spare in the garden - any reason they wouldn't work?

Even better than block id say

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭allycavs

That should be fine. how thick are the slabs? they tend to be 38-50mm thick. you wont have to dig then in that case as long as ground is level. i only dug to cover must of the block as they would be eye soar otherwise. It might be an idea to put down the underlay for weeds in area where shed will be too.very cheap and you just roll it out. then place your slabs down. on top of it. or turn over earth and poor bleach to kill any growth(thats what i did), once covered by shed any weeds should die out anyway with no sunlight

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Thanks for advice

Advertisement