Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbors dog roams all day, now it has attacked ours.

• 08-10-2015 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

Our neighbours dog crept into our kitchen yesterday through the back door which was open and attacked our elderly dog who was eating her dinner. We got them broke up, but not before our dog got cut up around the face (and in general is quite sore looking now).
    We have spoken to the neighbour about letting their dog roam before as it would almost run under the car everytime we drive past trying to race us to our house. While he appeared to listen and agree, it was only a matter of days before the dog would be doing it again. We had resigned ourselves to driving at 2kmph past the house, but now this. Also we heard that the dog has been chasing cattle of a nearby farmer, though I haven't personally seen this and am not sure if the farmer is aware.

What would you do, considering that we have already tried asking them to keep their dog from roaming? We were trying to keep friendly, but now I am afraid to let our dog into the garden alone.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Did you bring your dog to the vet? I would do that first and get the neighbour to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Drive a little bit faster that may just put an end to it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Dog warden end of. And if you brought your dog to the vet I'd be asking for bills to be paid. You could have been injured separating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭redbel05

toadfly wrote: »
    Did you bring your dog to the vet? I would do that first and get the neighbour to pay.

Not a chance of him paying. Our friends were involved in an accident where he pulled out and hit their car a few years ago. He was 100% in the wrong, but fed them a sob story which they ended up believing, so they didn't claim on his insurance. I would think he would do the same with us, ie. swear to pay and then not.

Already brought to vet. She got an antinflamatory and antibiotics. Still looking stiff/ sore though when I left her earlier. Hopefully she will be a bit better when I get back. I 'be had her since she was 6month, 10 years now, and it kills me to see her uncomfortable.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Drive a little bit faster that may just put an end to it .

Just to make it clear to anyone else who is in any doubt... Posts that even hint or allude to killing or injuring any human or animal will not be tolerated n this forum.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Go straight to the dog warden.

I would also tell the farmer. Having a farmer show up at the door threatening to do whatever needs to be done to stop his dog worrying stock, might be the kick up the ar$e he needs - though to be honest he sounds like he doesn't really care.

Some people don't deserve pets

tk123 wrote: »
    Dog warden end of. And if you brought your dog to the vet I'd be asking for bills to be paid. You could have been injured separating them.
    I guess that I am conflicted here, because despite everything, I don't blame the dog. I've seen extreme cases of animals being starved, and while it doesn't look like that, neither does it look in good condition. I think that the reason it fought so vehemently is that it was very hungry.

It seems unfair that the dog should be the one to take the fall for what is ultimately the fault of the owner.
    Should I give our neighbour one last chance or just call the warden? What will the warden do? Warning only? Fine? Do they take the dog away straightaway? Sorry for all the questions. I had a bit of a sleepless night last night about this.

Go straight to the dog warden.

I would also tell the farmer. Having a farmer show up at the door threatening to do whatever needs to be done to stop his dog worrying stock, might be the kick up the ar$e he needs - though to be honest he sounds like he doesn't really care.

Some people don't deserve pets

I have to agree that some people don't deserve pets. The farmer is more of a shoot first ask questions later type of person. Having told him what I have heard he would probably shoot the dog the next time he spotted it in one of his fields, likely without ever talking to the neighbour. So I would feel somewhat like I had signed this dogs death warrant by saying anything. And the worst bit is that the neighbour might only be slightly put off by this.

redbel05 wrote: »
    I guess that I am conflicted here, because despite everything, I don't blame the dog. I've seen extreme cases of animals being starved, and while it doesn't look like that, neither does it look in good condition. I think that the reason it fought so vehemently is that it was very hungry.

It seems unfair that the dog should be the one to take the fall for what is ultimately the fault of the owner.
    Should I give our neighbour one last chance or just call the warden? What will the warden do? Warning only? Fine? Do they take the dog away straightaway? Sorry for all the questions. I had a bit of a sleepless night last night about this.

The warden will come out and give them a warning. They don't just come and take the dog away like some people suggest.

tk123 wrote: »
    The warden will come out and give them a warning. They don't just come and take the dog away like some people suggest.

People were trying to tell me that the warden would, but I was skeptical that they would just take away a dog without warning. I was still in a bit of a state after what happened yesterday when I asked my questions so I didn't do what I should have i.e. consulting citizens advice.

I can only imagine that it has been posted before, but for anyone else who has wondered similar questions to me : http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/animal_welfare_and_control/control_of_dogs.html

From what it looks like, if the dog was away from the neighbours house unaccompanied, say on a public road causing a nuisance, it would be classed as straying and the neighbour may be given an on the spot fine of €100 for not having their dog under control. I have never heard of this happening and was just wondering if anybody knows of a person being fined for this? I guess this is the outcome that I would be most happy with as I feel that the neighbour will not do anything if he feels he can get away with just warnings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,969 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

So you paid the vet bill?

From what it looks like, if the dog was away from the neighbours house unaccompanied, say on a public road causing a nuisance, it would be classed as straying and the neighbour may be given an on the spot fine of €100 for not having their dog under control. I have never heard of this happening and was just wondering if anybody knows of a person being fined for this? I guess this is the outcome that I would be most happy with as I feel that the neighbour will not do anything if he feels he can get away with just warnings.

Yeah I know somebody that happened to - the dog was out roaming all the time in busy traffic and had ran across the road on more than one occasion. Idiots :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 F412

Just make the farmer very aware of the issue as it could cost him a lot of money even if the dog doesn't attack it could cause animals to abort their calves/lambs etc. Also if he is watching out for the dog the problem could resolve itself very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I have to agree that some people don't deserve pets. The farmer is more of a shoot first ask questions later type of person. Having told him what I have heard he would probably shoot the dog the next time he spotted it in one of his fields, likely without ever talking to the neighbour. So I would feel somewhat like I had signed this dogs death warrant by saying anything. And the worst bit is that the neighbour might only be slightly put off by this.

The owner of the dog has signed his death warrant. The farmer will have nothing to gain by talking to the owner. You(and your dog) are currently the injured party, ring the warden before worse happens

Thargor wrote: »
    So you paid the vet bill?

Yes. My main priority was to get my little dog seen to as soon as possible. I have quite a good relationship with my vet and wouldn't chance them not getting paid by handing the neighbour the bill and waiting to get money from them.

I haven't spoken to the neighbor yet about the incident as I was waiting till this evening when my sister gets off work so that I can have some backup and someone to witness the exchange. I intend to tell him that he has exhausted all his chances with me and that the next time that I see the dog at our house I will call the warden. Judging from past experience of talking with him, I foresee that I will be making the call before the end of next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Yes. My main priority was to get my little dog seen to as soon as possible. I have quite a good relationship with my vet and wouldn't chance them not getting paid by handing the neighbour the bill and waiting to get money from them.

I haven't spoken to the neighbor yet about the incident as I was waiting till this evening when my sister gets off work so that I can have some backup and someone to witness the exchange. I intend to tell him that he has exhausted all his chances with me and that the next time that I see the dog at our house I will call the warden. Judging from past experience of talking with him, I foresee that I will be making the call before the end of next week.

I'd be bringing a copy of the vet bill with me with as well and asking for reimbursement. It can't do any more damage to what seems to be already strained neighbourly relations. If he's as lax as you say then the dog will continue to be let out to cause more trouble and I'd also try and get a video of the dog roaming as evidence of the neighbours negligence for the warden.

Advertisement