Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I Running Or Jogging?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Well done Max, that's a huge PB. What's your next target?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

tailgunner wrote: »
    Well done Max, that's a huge PB. What's your next target?

Cheers, still buzzing over it. In work this morning everyone is reporting that their gun time was significantly off their watch times. The gang I started with (and stayed with for a few hundred meters before they left me for dead) all had watch times 30+ seconds faster than official, so I can comfortably accept that I ran sub-24.

My target for now is just to keep getting out 4-5 times a week and try to slot in a parkrun before new year. I might try to alternate weeks 6 and 7 of the plan I just finished to keep me ticking over. I have proper targets in mind for the new year but I'm gonna turn them over in my head until January. :D

I fell ill on Saturday evening after Jingle Bells (thankfully not before!) so I did no running Sunday or Monday. I'm still under the weather today, but good habits have a way of dying rapidly if you don't feed them, so I had to get out.

5k Easy:

I had to do short laps near the house because my girlfriend had forgotten her keys and I wanted to be able to intercept her on her way home from work. It also had the advantage that I was near home if illness caught up with me and I needed to stop.

I was grand, considering, and quite surprised to see the the splits at the end.

5:49 - 5:51 - 5:49 - 5:42 - 5:44

Flirting with the edge of tempo territory there really, but breathing was easy. :confused:

Total: 5km @ 5:47/km

I was dubious about the wisdom of running while ill, but I think it's actually made me feel a bit better, if a little drowsy.

I'm still not well and it's a miserable evening out there so I wussed out and went to the treadmill for this.

5k Easy:

Breathing was ragged and holy crap treadmills are boring so I didn't really enjoy this. Couldn't wait for it to be over to be honest.

Total: 5k @ 5:56/km

When I got off the treadmill my hip had flared up and it feels like it's in an utter jock at the moment. Very worrying. I'm going to have to see a physio. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I'm still not well and it's a miserable evening out there so I wussed out and went to the treadmill for this.

5k Easy:

Breathing was ragged and holy crap treadmills are boring so I didn't really enjoy this. Couldn't wait for it to be over to be honest.

Total: 5k @ 5:56/km

When I got off the treadmill my hip had flared up and it feels like it's in an utter jock at the moment. Very worrying. I'm going to have to see a physio. :(

Yes definitely see a physio.
    Also, you sound too sick to be running so why don't you take a few days off until you're feeling better. It could develop into something more serious if you don't take it easy for a bit and get fully better.

Ah it's just a bad dose, I'm not bedridden or anything. The way I look at it is if I'm still going to work then I deserve to still be allowed to run. ;) Also I had a very low mileage week last week and I'm determined not to let things slip. Much more worried about what's going on with the hip to be honest. It seemed like it was getting better, but came back with a vengeance tonight.

Feeling much better today, still a bit congested but that's all.

8k Easy:

The hip felt fine again, weirdly, but I took it very easy to try and avoid aggravating it. It felt like there was nothing wrong at all until seconds after the watch buzzed for 4k and then I felt a jolt. Then nothing until 6k when it started to wake up a bit. Still finished without any major problems and no limp afterwards, which is really bizarre since it felt worse than ever on Thursday.

Anyway, I enjoyed this run. It's dry and still tonight for a change, with a nice crisp chill in the air. I stuck on some music that takes me back to my teens (Placebo - Sleeping With Ghosts) and just enjoyed having the streets mostly to myself.

Total: 8.1k @ 6:17/km

Grrr... Really annoyed with this hip now. It was at me from the outset today. I can't run as far, as fast or as often and I feel like my fitness is already starting to decline because of it.

5k Easy:

It was a slog from beginning to end. I wasn't quite in pain, but very uncomfortable and the hip was just on my mind the entire time.

Total: 5.6k @ 6:17/km

I know I've said it before, but I have to see a physio. I mean it this time. I think the fact that I've never been to one before and don't have a go to person is putting me off. That and, up until now, I've kept thinking it was improving on its own. It's definitely not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Grrr... Really annoyed with this hip now. It was at me from the outset today. I can't run as far, as fast or as often and I feel like my fitness is already starting to decline because of it.

5k Easy:

It was a slog from beginning to end. I wasn't quite in pain, but very uncomfortable and the hip was just on my mind the entire time.

Total: 5.6k @ 6:17/km

I know I've said it before, but I have to see a physio. I mean it this time. I think the fact that I've never been to one before and don't have a go to person is putting me off. That and, up until now, I've kept thinking it was improving on its own. It's definitely not.

Sorry to hear that Max , I hope its noting too serious, I'm the same with physio I keep putting it off to next week . but something I know i must do to get back to running longer distances. Myles Splitz was recommended to me by a number of people here . That's who I will be looking for an appointment from when I go.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Max , I hope its noting too serious, I'm the same with physio I keep putting it off to next week . but something I know i must do to get back to running longer distances. Myles Splitz was recommended to me by a number of people here . That's who I will be looking for an appointment from when I go.

Yeah I think I'll drop Myles a PM and see if he's available. It's time to deal with this situation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Best to get this sorted now Max. Best of luck with the physio. Hopefully nothing to serious

My shiny new runners arrived today and were waiting for me when I got home, so I really had no choice but to take them for a test drive...

Ad Hoc Run:

I started easy but sped up a bit in the middle. The legs will do what the legs want to do and, like, new runners you guys! I guess it was sort of tempo-ish in the middle. Which is a bonus I suppose because I've been taking it very easy since Jingle Bells.

Hip was okay-ish, nothing like yesterday, though still a bit troublesome later on. What the hell is that about? Surely it should have been worse than yesterday? Or at least the same? I need to avert my eyes from the gift horse's mouth I think. Still planning to go to a physio but time is not on my side this week!

Total: 6.2km @ 5:44/km

I was meant to get out yesterday evening for a little one, but I got home from work, put on my running gear and then somehow fell asleep on the couch instead. :confused: So, today I am rushing out to my work Christmas dinner, but I had to fit it in or I wouldn't be able to enjoy myself with the guilt.

4 Mile Run:

This turned out to be very similar to my last run. Very similar indeed. Felt pretty good, enjoyed the new runners again, it's blissful to run in them. Most amazingly of all, I had no trouble with the hip. It's not 100%, but I didn't feel much out of it at all which hasn't happened in weeks. It was an absolute pleasure!

Total: 6.41km @ 5:45/km

Now to go order the most expensive thing on the menu and get tanked. ;) Hopefully I won't be too hungover for a few easy kms tomorrow.

Aaahhh I feel good. I didn't manage to get myself out for those easy kms yesterday, but I made up for it today by pushing the pace up a little.

5 Mile Run:

What a joy this was. My mother is away for Christmas so she invited us over today for a family lunch and jaysus did she put on a spread. I ate like a king today, so I didn't get out until after 9 when I felt everything was sufficiently digested, but the result was I had a mountain of energy. My hip troubles were virtually non-existant, so this was the first fully comfortable, painless run I've had in weeks. I was still conscious of form and watching out for tiredness which would probably be a recipe for aggravating it, but man did I enjoy myself.

Splits: 5:45 - 5:40 - 5:29 - 5:44 - 5:42 - 5:18 - 5:29 - 5:46

Total: 8km @ 5:37/km

This was my third run in the new runners and the hip has felt progressively better in each one. That leaves me to wonder if it was caused by my footwear to begin with...

I was a very bad person and did nothing from Monday to Wednesday. In truth, I couldn't find the time, and was pretty annoyed about it. Got out today though.

5 Miles Easy:

It's very cold and windy today, which wasn't too appealing, but it was nice to be out in daylight for a change. I ended up doing this a little quicker than what I'd call easy, which is becoming a trend for reasons that I don't really understand.

Total: 8.27km @ 5:46/km

Christmas Day Tempo:

It's so wet out there that the paths either are rivers themselves, or have brand new streams which cross them. I had the whole world to myself, with only two people walking dogs as evidence that the human race had survived the night. It was glorious.

Total: 5.41km @ 5:20/km

I need to do an actual easy run next time before I anger that hip again.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS MOFOS!
    I hope Santa was kind and you all have a lovely day.

5k Easy:

I was pretty dehydrated today and felt it, so I kept it short. It's weird running without a plan, I'm looking forward to getting back onto one - once I figure out which one. Stupidly overdressed for this too and was absolutely roasting! The hip continues to behave well. :D

Total: 5.8k @ 5:45/km

Pub shortly to undo it.

Wow the conditions out there are brutal.

LSR:

I planned to do an 'LSR' today, basically I just wanted to get some longer running in because I have been avoiding that since the hip troubles. The intention was to do about 12-13km which is about as far as I've ever run to date. I wanted to take it really easy and enjoy myself, but it turns out there was no such thing as easy today.

After about 2km I found myself on an uphill drag running directly into a pretty strong headwind, and despite the slow pace, the effort was high to just keep moving forwards. There were some gusts that actually knocked be backwards a step now and then. Before the buzzer went for 5k I was already practically dead on my feet. Later, despite the route being a loop and having taken two 90 degree turns, I found I was still running into a headwind.

Eventually I found myself on a stretch where I wasn't running into the wind any more and I could catch my breath, so I kept on until just over 11km, but at that stage my legs were tiring and I could swear I felt a twinge in the hip and I called it quits so as not to take any pointless risks.

A bigger workout than I had intended!

Total: 11.12km @ 6:08/km

10k Easy:

Another windy day which is getting pretty tiresome. I felt super drained today and the last 2k it was really difficult to keep going. I don't know what was going on, maybe Tuesday just really took it out of me, maybe eating crap for the last week or so has caught up with me, but the last time I felt like that during a run it turned out I was coming down with something - hopefully not!

Total: 10.15km @ 5:59/km

Anyway, despite a poor December with injury worries and no plan since Jingle Bells, today took me over 100km for the month so not too bad all in all. I'll have a couple of Kg to shift in January though to get back to where I was a few weeks ago!

I have decided on the following goals for 2016:
    • Sub 21 5k
    • Run the Dublin Race Series
    • Run more than 1000 miles / 1610km

They seem like targets that strike a balance between being achievable, whilst forcing me to push myself throughout the year.

Happy new year all!

• Advertisement

I don't know what was going on, maybe Tuesday just really took it out of me, maybe eating crap for the last week or so has caught up with me, but the last time I felt like that during a run it turned out I was coming down with something - hopefully not!

Unfortunately, this turned out to be true and I've been out of action since NYE. So, a poor start to the year and I'm feeling pretty miserable about it. Still under the weather today, but I'm going to have to get out this evening and plod around a bit or I'll go crazy.

In the mean time, I've been deciding on a plan. I figure Hal Higdon didn't steer me wrong last time so I'll stick with him and have a crack at the 15k Intermediate Plan to start building my mileage. That will take me into March where I will potentially follow it with a half marathon plan.

While my priority is faster 5k times, I reckon I'm still plenty slow enough that just running more miles will bring that down. At the same time, I need to start getting comfortable with longer distances if I'm to attack the race series this summer.

I'll start this Monday, and I'm looking forward to it!

5k Easy:

After 5 days without a run I finally got back out today. Tired and still not fully recovered, but well enough to do it. I also got back on the bike today which I secretly haven't done since early December. :o

Total: 5.79km @ 5:57/km

Hopefully I can get back into my stride now with no more injuries or illness for a while. It's good to be back! :)

10k Easy:

Easing back into things. Lovely daylight run today, got rained on a bit towards the end. Nearly time for the new plan!

Total: 10k @ 5:49/km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

10k Easy:

Easing back into things. Lovely daylight run today, got rained on a bit towards the end. Nearly time for the new plan!

Total: 10k @ 5:49/km

Just curious, what do you use to track your times and distance? I went for a nice run today with the brother. When we finished, Strava was showing 11.9km for me and his suunto watch was showing 11.2 and the times on our splits were hugely different too. I know the watches are more reliable but didn't think the differences would be so big!

Think it might be time to invest in a decent watch for me, even one off adverts so I can keep a more accurate record of my progress.

Just curious if you have had a similar experience?

tony1980 wrote: »
    Just curious, what do you use to track your times and distance? I went for a nice run today with the brother. When we finished, Strava was showing 11.9km for me and his suunto watch was showing 11.2 and the times on our splits were hugely different too. I know the watches are more reliable but didn't think the differences would be so big!

Think it might be time to invest in a decent watch for me, even one off adverts so I can keep a more accurate record of my progress.

Just curious if you have had a similar experience?

Hey Tony I've got a Garmin Forerunner 225 and I find it very accurate. It's much more convenient than carrying a phone around, but I can't say I've ever compared the accuracy of the two. All I can say is that the watch has always matched very closely the route that I took on the map!

5k Run:

A bit more quicklier today. In daylight, glorious daylight.

Total: 5km @ 5:30/km

• Advertisement

Plan - 3 Mile Run:

First day of the new plan and I began to wonder if it was a good idea to run back to back ahead of it this weekend, given that I'm in terrible shape and there's plenty of running to be done this week - but sure we are where we are. ;) Monday means evening, which means back in the dark, but it was a crisp evening at least which is always a pleasure to run in.

The one advantage of dark cold evenings, one would think, is that you'd have the footpaths to yourself. Not so. Plenty of people walking three abreast or with dogs on those extendy leads making my life miserable. :P

Total: 5.77km @ 5:44/km

A really refreshing run - perked me right up after a moody Monday.

Plan - 4 Mile Run:

Not much to report. Similar to yesterday but a bit longer.

There was, what appeared to be, some sort of running club out running my loop in the opposite direction. Dozens of runners spread out over about a km. I found the faster they were the more accommodating they appeared to be in terms of sharing the footpath. Those trailing at the back basically forced me out onto the road. :(

Total: 6.61km @ 5:46/km

Going well I see, have the niggles cleared?

Going well I see, have the niggles cleared?

Ah I basically always seem to get niggles when I start to crank up the mileage. Hip / glute and left foot always seem to the the culprits. I'm just trying to stretch more, massage more, and run through them. I'm trying not to moan about it as long as they're not preventing me from running. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Someone suggested some Pilates to me which might help with the niggles, I might try it out soon. What plan have you decided to start following for the new year?

I started the Hal Higdon HM Novice 2 plan myself this week which should help to really increase the mileage which has been my issue so far. Hoping to do the Tralee HM in March and I am going to do the Milford Hospice 10k at the end of this month which should be a lovely run on the grounds of UL!

• Advertisement

Ah I basically always seem to get niggles when I start to crank up the mileage. Hip / glute and left foot always seem to the the culprits. I'm just trying to stretch more, massage more, and run through them. I'm trying not to moan about it as long as they're not preventing me from running. ;)

Sounds familiar . Have you tried those stretches ososlo linked to on my log . They might help.

I think a lot of runners carry little niggles anyway I'm the same the knee thing is always in my mind on runs now though it's behaving itself of late. Think I've lost a bit of pace over the Xmas too having added a few pound in weight.

tony1980 wrote: »
    Someone suggested some Pilates to me which might help with the niggles, I might try it out soon. What plan have you decided to start following for the new year?

I started the Hal Higdon HM Novice 2 plan myself this week which should help to really increase the mileage which has been my issue so far. Hoping to do the Tralee HM in March and I am going to do the Milford Hospice 10k at the end of this month which should be a lovely run on the grounds of UL!

I'm doing the HH 15k Intermediate myself, I'll probably follow it up then with a HM plan. Same as yourself I want to increase the mileage, gradually for me between now and the summer, but I don't want to go straight into a HM plan either because I want scope to do a bit of speed work also. I need to get that 5k time down!

Sounds like you've got some nice target races to keep you motivated, you should start a log! I'd like to read it and personally I find it helps keep me focused.
    Sounds familiar . Have you tried those stretches ososlo linked to on my log . They might help.

I think a lot of runners carry little niggles anyway I'm the same the knee thing is always in my mind on runs now though it's behaving itself of late. Think I've lost a bit of pace over the Xmas too having added a few pound in weight.

I haven't tried them yet - I keep telling myself I will but I'm the worst for doing supporting work like strength and stretching. I just can't motivate myself on that front and it's something I'd really like to improve on!

I'd say most of us are guilty of putting a few pounds on over Christmas, but it won't be long coming off either. It's impossible to resist all the temptations that time of year. :o

Glad to hear the knee is holding up. I've been fortunate on that front because I have a long term knee problem from an old snowboarding injury, but for whatever reason it has never impacted / been impacted by the running. Knees freak me out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Snowboarding! Urgh :) separate sslopes should be provided :D

On the stretches, .motivation should be the more you do them the more you can run, get into the habbiit now, the AIS stuff is really great ,& doesn't take long once you've got the hang of it.

Firedance wrote: »
    Snowboarding! Urgh :) separate sslopes should be provided :D

On the stretches, .motivation should be the more you do them the more you can run, get into the habbiit now, the AIS stuff is really great ,& doesn't take long once you've got the hang of it.

Hey, some of us know how to control our boards! :P (Except for that one time that I hurt my knee)

I know you're right about the stretches. I just have some sort of mental block. I know once I start and do it a couple of times it will become routine - I just need to take that first step and sit down and learn what to do properly.

You know what? I'll do that Saturday. There, I wrote it down. Now I have to.

Plan: 4 x 800m @ 5k Race Pace (jog recovery):

I haven't really run with any pace since Jingle Bells, over a month ago. So I was both looking forward to this and dreading it in equal measure. The only reference point I have for 5k pace is Jingle Bells, so I went with that even though I am undoubtedly slower now having been injured, then eating all in sight over Christmas, then being sick since.

Target pace was 4:45/km for the intervals and I set the watch up so that it would buzz at me if I was too far off. It's the first time I've used that feature and it's pretty sweet.

Warm up: 1km @ 6:09

1. 3:47 (4:44/km)
    2. 3:45 (4:41/km)
    3. 3:48 (4:46/km)
    4. 3:45 (4:41/km)

Cool down: 1km @ 6:13

Total (incl recoveries): 7.07km @ 5:35/km

There was nothing to dread in the end. I really enjoyed it and feel great afterwards.

Plan - 2 Mile Run:

Honestly, two miles Hal? It's surprisingly difficult to motivate yourself to get out on a freezing cold Friday night for what amounts to a warm up, immediately followed by a cool down. But, I've established before that I'm not going to argue with Higgy, so it's done. ;)

Total: 3.2km @ 5:52/km

Plan - 6 Mile Run:

Having run in some form on 7 of the last 8 days, the legs started to feel pretty tired about half way through this and I was happy to stop by the end, but I still enjoyed it. Nice and crisp out and, more importantly, daylight. I definitely feel like I've shaken off the December cobwebs already though, which is nice. I'll enjoy a beer tonight and a rest day tomorrow. ;)

Total: 10.05km @ 5:52/km

Plan - 3 Mile Run:

Just a bread and butter 5k. I was feeling pretty ropey today for some reason and I was a whisker away from knocking this on the head, but I managed to force myself out and get it done. It's reflected in the pace - I wasn't trying to go any slower than usual, and didn't feel like I was either.

Total: 5.19km @ 6.02/km

Tuesday:
    Plan - 5 Mile Run:

Another one of those weeks has come along where quality sleep is hard to come by - that combined with my increased volume had the legs feeling rather tired, and a bit banged up. I took this real slow.

Total: 8.03km @ 6:12/km

Wednesday:

The plan tonight has a 30 min tempo, which I was looking forward to. However, in the last couple of km of last night's run I began to feel an odd sort of pressure at the outside of my left knee. Today, it's been replaced by a sharp pain when I perform certain actions, that sounds a lot like ITBS. Actually, it hits precisely on every checkbox for ITBS here. So, this is a new one, and probably completely my own fault for increasing my volume too quickly. Again. I do this every time.

I reckon that means dropping tonight's session would be prudent, and I'll see how I am tomorrow. :(

Hows the knee today Maximus

• Advertisement

It seems maybe a bit better but not runnable. Just stretching and foam rolling and crossing of the fingers for today. :/

I went out for a test run today, I made it about a kilometer before I started to feel something in the knee. It wasn't sore as such, but clearly would have been if I kept going. It was the hardest thing in the world to convince myself to abort, but I did.

I headed to the gym then and did 30 mins on the stationary bike with heart rate at ~165. I had planned to do 60 minutes to make up for the run, but it was too excruciatingly boring. It's a relief to see that the bike doesn't affect / isn't affected by it so I can at least maintain my aerobic fitness that way if this thing hangs around for a while.

Then I hopped on the treadmill for another test, since the knee only seemed to flare up on downhill slopes and I could keep the treadmill flat. Felt fine for about 1km again, but I could feel something after that and again, decided to abort.

I think it's on the mend though, I'll just keep stretching and rolling.

Sounds familiar max. But it seems you have it covered .rest and then slowly rebuilding the milage and stretching and rolling appears to be working for me. Hope you're back in full flow soon.

Cheers. Glad you're recovered, hopefully I won't be too far behind!

Went back to the gym today for another 30 minutes on the stationary bike. I followed it up with 1km on the treadmill, but there was no change. It's pretty embarrassing getting on the treadmill for one slow kilometer, then getting off. I can imagine what the folk on the adjacent ones are thinking. :pac:

In better news, I've shifted the Christmas weight - back to 76kg today. If I could just get free of injuries I'd be flying. :(

Today: Stationary bike. Strength. Misery. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

How's the knee Maximus?

tailgunner wrote: »
    How's the knee Maximus?

Getting there, it feels much better thanks. I was going to try a run last night but I decided to defer one more day and play it safe, so I'll know more tonight. Keeping everything crossed.

I ran! Ran with my own legs and feet and nothing hurt! :D

I called it quits after 20 mins / 3.5km so as not to push my luck, but I'm fecking delighted. I jumped on the bike then for 20 minutes to round out the aerobic side of things without any potentially aggravating impacts. Also - finally got to take those new Asics DS Trainers for a spin. They're super light and I like them, but probably wouldn't use them for long runs.

Back in the game!

So now that I'm back on my feet I've decided to restart the 10 mile plan from the beginning. I'm not going to risk jumping back into week two after nearly two weeks out of action. In fact, I'm going a step further and adding a week onto the beginning to ease the mileage back up. I'll call it Week 0.

Plan - 3 Mile Run:

Headed to the gym and hit the treadmill, to keep it easy on these apparently glass legs of mine while I get back up to speed. The problem with treadmills is not so much the boredom, I can cope with that, it's the heat! After about 5 minutes of running on the things I feel like I'm in a sauna. It did the job though and I hopped on the bike for a cooldown afterwards.

Total: 5km in 28:00

• Advertisement

Back to the soft, flat belt of the treadmill to continue my gentle rise back to abject mediocrity this evening. :D

Plan - Little Tempo:

10 mins @ 6:00/km
    10 mins @ 5:00/km
    10 mins @ 6:00/km

Total: 5.33km in 30:00

Onto the bike afterwards for a nice cooldown. My knee is back to feeling more or less like what I would imagine a normal person's knee feels like so I should be safe enough to venture back out into the elements soon.

Advertisement