Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I Running Or Jogging?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I had to defer last night's run as, with the LUAS strike, I needed to run into work this morning.

9k Easy(ish):

I'm not a morning person, so getting up in the morning and straight into the running gear is theoretically the stuff of nightmares for me. It wasn't too bad though in truth. The route to work is overall downhill, though with the odd decent incline. Having a bag on the back really seems to crank up the toughness (heart rate was a good 15bpm higher than I would expect at this pace), but overall it was grand. Not a bad way to start the day actually, though I don't know if I have it in me to make a habit of it.

Total: 8.93km @ 5:49/km

I will also be running some of the way home, but probably not the whole 9k because my legs like to injure themselves too much. We'll see.

Well that went a little better than expected.

9k Easy(ish) (again):

The plan was to run some of the way home and stop to walk as soon as anything complained. But nothing complained and it was a sure sign that my endurance has improved a lot over the last couple of weeks. The last time I ran for my commute I ran home one night and back in the following morning and I was an absolute crock. So you could say I'm pretty pleased with myself today.

My heart rate for the return trip was lower than this morning, which is peculiar, because the return route has more inclines and was into the wind a lot of the time, but I'm not complaining!

Total: 8.91km @ 6:01/km

There was more stopping for traffic lights on the journey home, which was a bit annoying. So the actual running pace was a little faster than above.

LSR:

My legs were still tired from Thursday so the plan was to keep this slow and a relatively short 7 miles. Even so my form was poor and I was gassed by about half way. I saw it out, but my legs spent quite a while saying "Ah here Max, you're pushing your luck now. Time to wrap this up." The lazy feckers.

When I left the house it was overcast, windy, cold and with some spitting rain. So I wore full length bottoms. Later the sun came out and I nearly baked to death. :rolleyes:

I'm perplexed as to what happened with my pace because the few times I checked it early on it was at about 6:15 and I thought I was slowing down throughout the run. :confused:

Total: 11.4km @ 5:58

Can't say I particularly enjoyed that one, but it's done and now I get to have cake. Also, despite missing a full week at the start of the month through illness, April has become my highest mileage month to date with 113.46km (by a hair, from November at 113.28km). So that's good!

I've spent the last while working on building my endurance and there's been a lot of easy pace running, so it felt like time to start introducing some pace back into things.

4x800m @ 5k pace (jog recovery):

I based my 5k pace on my last race, but that's a while ago so I don't know where I'd actually be now. Could be faster, could be slower. But anyway, target pace was around 4:45/km.

1km warm up: 6:10

1: 3:43 (4:39/km)
    2: 3:45 (4:42/km)
    3: 3:50 (4:49/km)
    4: 3:49 (4:47/km)

1km cool down: 6:17

Weather being completely nutbar made it difficult to keep the paces consistent. I struggled with the last one as conditions were sadistic at that particular point. There was a powerful headwind in my face and hailstones were hitting me like machine gun fire, such that my lungs felt ready to pop like balloons. I felt pretty good afterwards, need to do these more often.

Total: 7.08km @ 5:35

LUAS Strike Runmute:

I only got about 5.5 hours broken sleep last night so I wasn't really full of the joys this morning. I was also running a bit late so had to kick the pace up a little. I don't know what to call this pace wise because my HRR% was close to 90, but the pace was slow enough. I guess that's down to the bag? The poor sleep? Both? I dunno.

I missed a turn so the distance is slightly longer than it ought to be. Hope I have it in me to run home now. :pac:

Total: 9.22km @ 5:46/km

Opposite of the above:

My legs were definitely feeling the fatigue for this one. The first few km were handy but the drag up towards Goatstown was murder; legs were already flagging and I had a headwind most of the way. I thought about stopping a few times but I just slowed down instead. I can't get over the difference the bag makes, I mean it's not particularly heavy - there's only a bath towel and a change of clothes in it!

Weirdly enough, once again the run that felt tougher by a large margin had the lower average HR by about 10bpm.

Total: 9.12km @ 6:11/km

I know it's close to nothing around these parts, but on the run home I was reflecting on how at any time in the first 30 years of my life I couldn't have come within an asses roar of what I just casually did today. On the one hand, that seems like such a waste, but on the other it makes me really excited to see where running might take me in the coming years. I love it. Just love it.

6k Easy:

I had to head out for a drink after work this evening to see off a colleague who's heading for new pastures . I questioned the wisdom of running after drinks on the Random Running Questions thread and liked the depth of experience on show in this response, so off I went.

I can now confirm that a couple of pints of Hop House, followed by a pint of water and 4 easy miles is a perfectly enjoyable way to spend a Friday evening. The only possible drawback is that it might inadvertently turn your easy run into a tempo...

Total: 6.2km @ 5:19/km

LSR:

Should have been an LSR but I had to keep it relatively short as the weekly mileage is ramping up too quickly. As it was, my legs were feeling a bit rough today. Niggles are creeping in and I might have overdone it a bit this week so will have to dial it back a shade next week.

Total: 10.1km @ 6:06

41.3 km for the week, which I think is the most ever.

6k Easy:

I have had a couple of niggles since Friday / Saturday. I'm hoping they'll clear up if I take things very easy this week. With that, I think I just did my slowest run ever!

Total: 6.07km @ 6:15/km

• Advertisement

I fell mysteriously ill on Tuesday night and was in a terrible state on Wednesday. I just as rapidly and mysteriously recovered yesterday afternoon to the point that I felt like going out for a run last night. I didn't though! I'm sensible.

Strike Day Pt 1:

I was running late for work this morning so instead of the roads I got onto the LUAS tracks, which are a little more direct. I also cheated and took a Dublin Bike at Charlemont to save some time, so this was shorter than a normal run commute. It felt so great to be well again and running today in the glorious morning sunshine. Shame I didn't get out of the house on time because I would have liked to run the full distance.

Total: 6.11km @ 5:51/km

Strike Day Pt 2:

I'm not really one for hyperbole, so all I'll say is that this was probably the worst run that anyone has most likely ever experienced, ever and it definitely was.

I felt sluggish right from the start and it only got worse as I went. My bag felt like one of those cartoon anvils strapped to my back and my feet felt like sledgehammers hitting the ground repeatedly. When I finally trudged up to my home LUAS stop and tried to jog up the steps my leg started to hurt so I gave up and had to walk the last kilometer home.

I think I might have misjudged how well recovered I was from that illness there. Whoops.

Total: 7.55km @ 6:21/km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Hannibelle Smeeeth

Could you bring your stuff with you the day before the strike and keep the bag as light as possible? Im just a lazy fecker :pac:

Yep, that's definitely what I should do in future! You're not lazy, just sensible. :D Running with the bag on definitely seems like a bad idea so I will have to be more organised next time.

7k Easy:

A disappointing week of running concludes with what was supposed to be an LSR instead becoming a relatively short, very slow run. Still suffering a hangover from my illness during the week, I just haven't been right. Energy levels are very low and I've been having trouble with digestion. I was getting terrible heartburn throughout this run and just felt miserable generally, so I had to wrap it up. Hopefully the new week will bring with it happier running times.

Total: 7km @ 6:13/km

Weekly total a rather dismal 26.77km, but not bad in terms of keeping myself ticking over, all things considered.

Aaaannnd we're back.

10k Easy:

Felt more like myself today at long last. Finally felt good enough that I could enjoy a run again and had to pay attention to keeping the pace down rather than struggling to just keep going. It was a bit dull when I set out but then the sun came out and it was a beautiful evening to throw in a lap of Marlay Park.

Total: 10.17k @ 5:49/km

Yay!

• Advertisement

I thought the next LUAS strike was tomorrow and I'd be running in, but I was wrong; it's Friday. So I had to get out and do a bit this evening.

6k Easy:

My average cadence on pretty much all of my runs is 159, but I've been reading that faster is better, more efficient, and less likely to lead to impact injuries. So I decided to use this run to start consciously trying to increase my cadence without speeding up. It was pretty successful. I had spot checked my runs all the way back to January and the average cadence was always 159 or 160, never higher. Today, 163! I'll keep at it.

Total: 6.38km @ 5:55/km

Morning Commute:

Back in the runners for my commute this morning. I had the bag on my back again, even though I promised myself I'd start getting organised and leave clothes and a towel in work the day before. I'm not an organised person. It's my biggest weakness, but definitely not the kind that you reveal when they ask that question at a job interview.

I took it nice and handy, and I definitely felt I had much more left in the tank when I arrived at the office than on previous mornings. I even added a bit on at the end to round out the 9k and would have liked to keep going, except I had to work and stuff.

I'm not going to run home today, because Myles revealed in the DCM Novices thread that a double is no substitute for a long run, and I'd rather save the legs for an LSR over the weekend.

Total: 9.0km @ 5:55/km

Cadence was back at the usual 160 spm, but a morning commute with a bag on was never going to be the time to work on that particular project.

LSR:

There was a bit of a family celebration last night which resulted in drinking until 4am, so it took a lot of will power to not allow myself any excuses and just get out and do this as planned. Surprisingly though, once out there I felt pretty fresh and totally up for it. I got absolutely drenched about 10 minutes in and spent the rest of the run drying out, but I still really enjoyed myself.

I kept the pace slow (I'm getting better at this) and my legs continued to feel good until about the last 2km or so, and even then they just got very tired quite rapidly, not sore or niggly or anything. My longest run to date, both in distance and duration. Pretty happy with that.

Total: 18.0km @ 6:07/km (1hr 50min)

43.6km for the week.

7x400m @ Mile Pace (2 min jog recovery)

I had been planning on doing 10k today with 5k at what would be PMP if I was the kinda person who was thinking of doing something silly like training for a marathon. But I had a really bad sleep last night and I didn't feel up to it at all, so I elected to do something else instead. For some reason that something else ended up being a tougher work out. Makes sense...

I picked a mile pace of 4:10/km (6:40/mi) out of the sky.

Warm up: 1.2km @ 6:14/km

1. 1:42 (4:16)
    2. 1:36 (4:02)
    3. 1:39 (4:08)
    4. 1:40 (4:10)
    5. 1:40 (4:11)
    6. 1:40 (4:11)
    7. 1:44 (4:21)

Cool down: 1.2km @ 6:12/km

I haven't run this fast in forever (which is the reason I wanted to do this in the first place), so the paces were all over the place. I started the first four way too fast and had to slow down throughout. This really took it out of me though and made the last couple a bit of a struggle. I'd like to do these kinds of sessions more often and learn to control the pace better, but I'm not sure how valuable they are when I'm still trying to increase my overall mileage and the length of my long runs.

Total: 7.23km @ 5:37/km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

No harm to throw in the odd speedwork session even if you're just building a base.

I did that session recently and ended up with nearly exactly the same splits. I'd say we're in very similar shape (as usual!).

• Advertisement

tailgunner wrote: »
    No harm to throw in the odd speedwork session even if you're just building a base.

I did that session recently and ended up with nearly exactly the same splits. I'd say we're in very similar shape (as usual!).

I don't do enough of them really, but it's hard to know when or where to fit them in when I'm trying to push the mileage up each week.

I reckon you've pulled away from me now, I don't think I'd be in 22:30 5k shape! I'm quite envious of that one. ;)

4 Miles Easy:

I had to keep it short and easy today, something's gone a little awry with my right leg. It feels sort of like shin splints but in the wrong place. I'll see if I can foam roll it out, whatever it is.

Total: 6.25km @ 6:04/km

Finally got into a routine of remembering to check my RHR in the mornings. Averaging 48bpm at the moment, so I'm going to keep writing it down over time to gauge illness, over-training, etc.

6 Miles Easy:

My legs were feeling very rough for this, both tired and a little beat up. I took it very easy, but I think I'm going to have to ease back on the mileage for next week and let them regroup. Long run on Sunday followed by the 400m session on Tuesday probably wasn't the brightest. Tomorrow's a rest day anyway so hopefully I'll be in better shape on Sunday!

Total: 10km @ 6:14/km

10 Mile LSR:

A very tough day today. I planned ahead a bit and decided to try some new things. I put plasters on my nipples because they've been getting rubbed a bit raw during LSRs lately. :pac: This worked really well, I'll have to keep a stock of them.

I also brought water with me for the first time ever, and even popped an electrolyte tablet in, which I got ages back at Jingle Bells. Thanks God I did, because it was hot out today. I went out around 4 o'clock, probably foolishly, because the sun was beating down and I normally run in the evening when it's cooler.

The heat really got to me and, despite running slower than possibly ever before, my heart rate was a good 15-20 beats higher than usual. I only discovered this after I got home - I would have slowed down further if I'd known!

To top it off, my legs were already knackered pretty early on and thoroughly spent by the time I stopped. Time to listen to my body I think, I'm definitely not recovering enough in between runs. I don't think my legs are adapting to the higher mileage as quickly as my heart and lungs. Next week is going to be a recovery week for sure, all short, easy runs to get myself back on track.

Total: 16.06km @ 6:21/km (10:10/mi)

39.55km for the week. Next week will be less than 30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Hi max hope you don't mind if I give my 2 cent as I think we are around the same level of fitness.

I think you are still running your easy runs and lsr too quickly @ 10 10 pace . If you were to run them at around 11 minute miles I think you would be recovering fully between runs . As it is I doubt you are .

I have really noticed the difference since I started running by heartrate. I'm as fresh as a daisy this morning despite having raced a parkrun Saturday and ran a 10 mile lsr yesterday .

Just my 2 cent hope you don't mind

Not at all! I appreciate the input and I think you're right. I've been trying to slow down over the last couple of months but I'm finding it pretty hard. You know when you get into a rhythm and your mind starts to wander? I always end up speeding back up :(

Not at all! I appreciate the input and I think you're right. I've been trying to slow down over the last couple of months but I'm finding it pretty hard. You know when you get into a rhythm and your mind starts to wander? I always end up speeding back up :(

I do it can be difficult to run that slowly at first but if you stick with it its really enjoyable plodding along and taking in your surroundings. I found running by time rather than distance helped. ie go for a 50 minute run instead of a 5 mile run , and shortening my stride. I also just set my watch to display heart rate and time so I'm not looking at the slow pace .

you could read myles splits replies to this post His advice there is really interesting and is working well for me.

Cheers for that TM, it's interesting reading for sure. I try not to look at the watch too much during my runs, but I think I'll switch over to heart rate display and keep an eye on it going forward. I'm definitely doing LSRs too fast judging by that!

4 Miles Easy:

Back out into the evening heat today for this. My legs still feel in desperate need of recovery and indeed, my RHR has been up significantly over the last couple of days. I think it's safe to say I have over-trained. With that in mind I focused really hard on keeping this slow and my heart rate down and my overwhelming thought was on doing the mileage whilst still recovering.

Total: 6.3km @ 6:20/km

That's the end of May, my highest mileage month by quite a distance at nearly 160km, which pretty well explains the tired legs I suppose.

387405.PNG

I don't think I've mentioned it in this log yet, but I've decided to jump on board with the DCM Novices and start the marathon training plan at the end of June. In the mean time, I've put together a plan for the remaining four weeks before it all kicks off. Mostly easy running between now and then to try and get the batteries fully charged.

387404.PNG

Exciting times!

4 Miles Easy:

Identical to yesterday. Starting to feel my energy returning and had to pay more attention to keeping it slow. Still got a niggle in the lower right leg, can't tell if it's better, worse or exactly the same as yesterday. :pac:

Total: 6.3km @ 6:17/km

• Advertisement

4 Miles Easy:

Same again, but I realised I had a maths fail and that 4 miles is actually around 6.4km, so I owed a couple of hundred meters for the last couple of days and added them on (any excuse for more running). The recovery march continues, felt even better again today and my legs kept trying to pick up the pace. Niggle persists, feels like it's improving though.

Total: 7km @ 6:13/km

I'm a massive nerd and I love data and graphs and stuff. I've been keeping a note of my resting heart rate and found this interesting. Actual measurable evidence of my fatigue on Sunday / Monday. I mean I had read that this is a good way to keep an eye on your level of fatigue, but it's cool to see it in action:

387637.PNG

8 Mile LSR:

I said 7 miles on the plan but I felt good and I wrote the plan so I overruled myself. It was humid out today, but I felt totally fine unlike last week, so maybe I'm adjusting to it. I did 6 strides in the last couple of kilometers and really enjoyed them, I can't believe I'm only learning about this now; I'm going to incorporate them all the time! Quite invigorating.

Total: 13km @ 6:08/km

32.5km for the week. Next week: Irish Runner 5 mile - my first ever 5 mile race!

Mon 6th: Off work and wanted to run so I snuck in a little 3 miles easy that wasn't on the plan. It was extremely humid, sweat was pouring off me. :eek: 5km @ 6:00/km

Tue 7th: 4 miles easy as planned. Nice enough evening, warm and humid again but practically fresh and cool compared to yesterday. 6.46km @ 5:58/km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭HS3

I don't think I've mentioned it in this log yet, but I've decided to jump on board with the DCM Novices and start the marathon training plan at the end of June. In the mean time, I've put together a plan for the remaining four weeks before it all kicks off. Mostly easy running between now and then to try and get the batteries fully charged.

Exciting times!

Hah! I wondered whether that was the direction you were headed!

HS3 wrote: »
    Hah! I wondered whether that was the direction you were headed!

It's not set in stone yet, but I'm going to do the training and see how far I get. I've a horrible feeling my body will let me down before I get to the start line but sure we'll see! Maybe I need to get myself out of that mindset.

6 Miles Easy:

Felt very tired heading out for this. Sleepy tired rather than physically; it's been a crap week for sleeping. I was grand once I got going though. All that's left now for this week is the race on Sunday. I'll probably sneak in couple of miles and strides on Saturday though.

Total: 10.02km @ 6:01/km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Mon 6th: Off work and wanted to run so I snuck in a little 3 miles easy that wasn't on the plan.

You're a real runner now you're sneaking in extra runs! :)

Best of luck tomorrow. Any target in mind?

Have a good race tomorrow Max enjoy.

• Advertisement

Cheers gents. I haven't raced in a while so I'm not sure what to expect. I'll be happy enough so long as it's under 40 minutes but I'll try to go as fast as I can. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Good luck tomorrow !

Best of luck today!

Irish Runner 5 Mile:

Well what a day. I haven't raced since December (too long) and have never raced this distance before so I was a ball of nerves last night and didn't really know what to expect. I decided that I wouldn't be happy unless I went under 40 mins, but I had secret hopes of maybe getting in under 39.

Things didn't start too well as I had a very poor night's sleep last night, I woke up several times and just didn't feel that well rested when I got up this morning. Still, I put it out of my mind and had a breakfast of two slices of toast with jam (batch loaf of course, one of the slices was a nice thick heel. Yum), coffee and lots of water.

I had all my gear prepared last night so it was a quick shower, get dressed and out the door. My wonderful girlfriend went with me which took some of the pressure off (didn't need a bag drop, didn't have to worry about parking, etc.)

Sauntered down to the starting area and started a short warm up with a couple of strides. I was worried at this point because I didn't feel great during the warm up and was starting to think I might struggle. I just pushed those thoughts away, kissed my OH goodbye and headed into the pen for Wave 2. I shuffled forward a bit, eyeing people up and thinking "Do you look slower than me? Yeah probably" until I got to people who didn't.

The announcer assured us we were much better looking than Wave 1, and then we were off. I think I got my positioning about right because while I was passing a few people, most were moving at around the pace I wanted to be at.

Mile 1:

I spent the first half of this mile easing into things, getting comfortable and trying to pass people without weaving too much until I found myself in a group that felt about right. It was fairly flat so I tried to get into a rhythm and keep the pace up to bank some time.

Mile 2:

More of the same. Trying to keep a consistent pace, close to my 5k pace, because I knew the first half was downhill overall and I would need to take advantage of that. Everything felt pretty good at this point and I was passing plenty of people and starting to feel good about the race.

Mile 3:

There were some decent declines here approaching the half way line and I intermittently picked up the pace to gain time, still passing people. The half way mark arrived and we swung around a bend and suddenly we were heading uphill. The fact that I've just run 4k at close to my 5k pace and I now have to run another 4k uphill starts to hit home. Nevertheless, I still passed a few people who were starting to struggle and when we topped a rise it looked like it was relatively flat again for a while.

Mile 4:

This is where it all fell apart. I'd come through the first 5k at close to, or possibly faster than, my 5k PB. It suddenly felt like I'd badly miscalculated in how much I wanted to take advantage of the downhill portion of the race. I had overdone it. And now, with an uphill drag facing me for pretty much the rest of the race, I started to feel a sense of doom. The pace dropped. A few people started passing me. There was a water station somewhere, I drank a sip and threw the rest over me. It helped, briefly.

Mile 5:

A woman shouted at us that there was only a mile to go and once we turned the next corner it was flat to the finish. She was a lovely woman. A liar, but lovely. Because that gave me just the boost I needed to kick back into gear. I didn't have enough left in the tank to pick it up too much, but I picked it up. "A mile?" I thought, "I can do a mile!" I kept reminding myself that if I don't break 40 I'll spend the day being miserable instead of triumphant, and that a few more minutes of suffering is worth it for the beer and the feeling of triumph.

Turned a corner and it was more or less straight to the finish now. I could see the flags waving in the distance but time stretched out and they didn't seem to be getting any closer. I had a target on my back now. People who had a sprint finish in their legs went past me and there was nothing I could do to stop them. My pace was climbing but it was gradual, until I got inside the flags and then I emptied the tank. I passed my OH who was shouting and gave her wave and a smile and then I was over the line.

I stopped the watch, 8.15km in 40:00. Surely I was under. Surely. I had to be.

After:

I grabbed my goody bag and a banana and headed over to a nearby bench to rest a bit. Reflecting on the race I was a little disappointed. I felt if I had paced it better there was a better time there for me. Checked my phone but there was no chip time yet. I got chatting to a nice gentleman who was sitting at the bench and had run 36:xx, said he had had open heart surgery a couple of years back and all his PBs had come since!

A quick cool down jog and we were walking back to the car when the text came: 39:53. Pleased? Satisfied maybe. Yeah I mean I'm happy with it. Yet I feel like I should be quicker at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Well done - great time on a humid day as well!!!

Well done! I hate that feeling of the finish seeming to stretch further away :D. Enjoy the beers!

• Advertisement

Great report. I'd say all that was in it was a minor pacing error - you'd take loads of time off that if you ran it again next week. Onwards and upwards!

Mon 13th: 2 miles recovery following the 5 mile. Felt grand really which makes me wonder if I didn't do enough in the race! :pac: 3.2km @ 6:07/km

Tue 14th: 4 miles easy. 6.4km @ 6:11/km

Wed 15th: 4 miles easy. This was my 4th day in a row, which I don't normally do, the first being a race yet I probably felt freshest today. That's a good sign that my fitness is improving and my easy pace is about right surely. Maybe I should think about moving to 5 days a week now. 6.5km @ 6:02/km

4 Miles Easy:

Same again. It was overcast and there were showers so it was nice and refreshing after all the recent warmth and humidity. Slightly quicker and slightly longer than intended. Rest tomorrow!

Total: 6.76km @ 5:58/km

11 Mile LSR:

I was supposed to do this yesterday but I woke up a little late and I had to meet my dad ahead of the Ireland match at around 1 o'clock so I moved it to today (which was rest anyway).

It was raining when I headed out and continued to rain throughout, but it was a fairly light shower that never bothered me really. It was nice and refreshing if anything. I had intended 10 miles, but I was feeling good and thought I might as well keep going.

The pace was very easy for the most part and I really enjoyed it, although on one of my laps through Marlay Park there was some sort of dog related thing going on and there were throngs of people walking dogs on the footpath for a solid mile, so I had to do a lot of dodging and weaving and inadvertently upped the pace to near 5k pace in the process. :eek: The km splits around that point go 6:28; 6:09; 4:51; 6:05... Oops.

My legs tired rapidly after about 16km which seems to be a bit of a theme. 10 miles seems to be around my limit for comfortable running, but hopefully that'll change over the next few weeks!

Total: 17.66km @ 6:12

40.6km for the week.

Tuesday: 3 Miles easy. It was... easy. Probably should have done a bit more. 5.3km @ 6:07/km

Today: 5 Miles with 3 @ PMP

I was off work all last week and being a natural night owl I slipped into bad habits, so this week has been a nightmare in terms of getting sleep. I was pretty wrecked heading out for this (actually had a 20 minute nap beforehand just to work up the will).

I did a 1 mile warm up at easy pace followed by 3 miles at planned marathon pace, which should have been around 5:35 to 5:40, followed by a cool down mile at easy pace. I went too quickly for the PMP part because I'm not used to that particular pace, so it's going to take some practice.

1.6k @ 6:22/km
    5.0k @ 5:22/km
    1.6k @ 6:05/km

That pace felt fairly strenuous on the inclines, easy on the downhills and reasonably comfortable on the flat.

Total: 8.2km @ 5:42/km

My Garmin decided not to bother recording any heart rate or cadence information and I don't know why. Weird. I actually would have liked to have it for this run.

• Advertisement
Advertisement