Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I Running Or Jogging?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

4 Miles Easy:

Still tired from a massive sleep deficit. I nearly made excuses to skip this one but caught myself and naturally I'm pretty glad about that now. Really looking forward to a lie in tomorrow though!

I did a couple of strides at the end. I really like strides, wish I had been doing them always.

Total: 7.0km @ 6:03/km

11 Mile LSR:

I was a bit unsure heading out for this because I didn't feel like I had the energy for it, but it went all right. I'd really like to be able to slow these down a little but I always seem to end up at about the same average pace even though I'm legitimately trying... My legs were knackered at the end, but I did feel like I could have kept going, unlike last week.

I also did a few strides towards the end. It was a really peculiar feeling to go from plodding along on tired legs to close to an all out sprint after 10 miles - and for it to feel great! Garmin suggests I hit 2:40/km during one stride, but obviously it can't be relied upon over such short distances. Still, felt like I was moving pretty quickly!

Total: 18.0km @ 6:08/km

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

11 Mile LSR:

I was a bit unsure heading out for this because I didn't feel like I had the energy for it, but it went all right. I'd really like to be able to slow these down a little but I always seem to end up at about the same average pace even though I'm legitimately trying... My legs were knackered at the end, but I did feel like I could have kept going, unlike last week.

I also did a few strides towards the end. It was a really peculiar feeling to go from plodding along on tired legs to close to an all out sprint after 10 miles - and for it to feel great! Garmin suggests I hit 2:40/km during one stride, but obviously it can't be relied upon over such short distances. Still, felt like I was moving pretty quickly!

Total: 18.0km @ 6:08/km

Sometimes I think the ones that you don't feel up to are the runs were you nail it . I never know until I start running what my body will do!!!

Nice pace - well done , it's hard to keep a gauge on pace when you are trying your best to get it done at the same time!

Are you taking any gels etc?

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Sometimes I think the ones that you don't feel up to are the runs were you nail it . I never know until I start running what my body will do!!!

Nice pace - well done , it's hard to keep a gauge on pace when you are trying your best to get it done at the same time!

Are you taking any gels etc?

Heh, that's true. It seems impossible to predict how a run will pan out until you're actually running!

No gels yet, I'm going to wait until the distance increases a bit. I want to see when I start to feel like I actually need them so that I can gauge the benefit better and get a good feel for when to take them. I feel like if I took them at this sort of distance I wouldn't be able to tell if they'd actually made a difference.

Recovery:

My OH has just finished C25k and is just doing a few 30 min runs this week to get more comfortable with it. I decided to head out with her for a 30 minute recovery run. It was useful, because with her setting the pace I actually managed to run at recovery pace. It was also nice to run with some company.

Total: 4.4km @ 6:51/km

43km for the week. This is it now, next run on Tuesday I'll officially be marathon training. :eek: Although the first week is actually a bit of a step back.

Plan: 3 Miles Easy

It's P-Day! My first run of the Boards marathon plan. The prescribed run was 3 easy miles but I did a little extra as the first week is kinda light on mileage. It was nice when I left the house and then just before I got in the door there was an actual monsoon. In the space of about 500 meters I got drenched to the bone.

Total: 6.8km @ 6:00/km

Plan: 4 Miles Easy with Strides

I did my 5 strides at the end of the miles. Found a nice field nearby that according to Google maps is more or less exactly 100m end to end, so did a stride across the field, jogged the perimeter back to my starting point and repeated. I don't know if I mentioned it before, but I enjoy strides.

Total: 7.2km @ 6:00/km

I overruled the plan again and did an extra mile; took it super easy today. The sun was out for a change which was pleasant.

Total: 6.4km @ 6:18/km

That's June done and it pips last month ever so slightly to become my highest mileage month to date. July should blow it out of the water though, all going well.

390377.PNG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Your going well max nice consistancy, are the niggles cleared up fully?

Cheers TM. Yeah my legs have been holding up pretty well in recent weeks, there hasn't been anything that the foam roller hasn't been a match for. :)

• Advertisement

Plan: 8 Mile LSR

The plan has a modest 8 miles for the first LSR. I thought it might be nice to run out towards Dun Laoghaire for a change of scenery. I knew this would exceed 8 miles, but I thought it was probably only 9 or 10 out and back. I was totally wrong.

It was threatening to rain when I left the house and indeed the skies did open briefly in mile 2, but it was short-lived and then, amazingly, the sun came out! I ended up popping out on the Dalkey side and then headed towards the Dun Laoghaire pier, where I ran out to the end and snapped a couple of photos (while still running!) before turning back.

I also took my first ever gel on the pier. A raspberry High5 with caffeine. I took it while running and washed it down with a mouthful of water. The taste was fine and it didn't bother my stomach at all, so I think I'd be happy enough to go with those. My miscalculation was starting to dawn on me now, because I was already at about 7 miles! What could I do though, only run home!

If I was in some sort of film about police cops, the grizzled old chief would say things like "You're a loose cannon Alexander, I want you off my force! Give me your gun and your badge!" Then, of course, I'd break all the rules and keep pursuing the run case in an unofficial capacity.

I took a slightly more direct route home, but it was all uphill and I started to flag after about 19km. My water was gone and the sun was still out so I was getting pretty thirsty but it was nothing insurmountable.

Heavy clouds had rolled in just before I arrived home, so I got back just in time. I stopped the watch at 21.5km and when I slowed to a walk my legs weren't really able to do it properly. I had to stop and give them a bit of a rub to get them going again!

That's the first time I've done half-marathon distance and I have to say I enjoyed myself. It was definitely a good idea to change the scenery.

Total: 21.5km in 2hrs 15mins (6:19/km)

390549.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Good work & whats 9km between Boardies!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

The plan has a modest 8 miles for the first LSR. I thought it might be nice to run out towards Dun Laoghaire for a change of scenery. I knew this would exceed 8 miles, but I thought it was probably only 9 or 10 out and back. I was totally wrong.

It was threatening to rain when I left the house and indeed the skies did open briefly in mile 2, but it was short-lived and then, amazingly, the sun came out! I ended up popping out on the Dalkey side and then headed towards the Dun Laoghaire pier, where I ran out to the end and snapped a couple of photos (while still running!) before turning back.

I also took my first ever gel on the pier. A raspberry High5 with caffeine. I took it while running and washed it down with a mouthful of water. The taste was fine and it didn't bother my stomach at all, so I think I'd be happy enough to go with those. My miscalculation was starting to dawn on me now, because I was already at about 7 miles! What could I do though, only run home!

If I was in some sort of film about police cops, the grizzled old chief would say things like "You're a loose cannon Alexander, I want you off my force! Give me your gun and your badge!" Then, of course, I'd break all the rules and keep pursuing the run case in an unofficial capacity.

I took a slightly more direct route home, but it was all uphill and I started to flag after about 19km. My water was gone and the sun was still out so I was getting pretty thirsty but it was nothing insurmountable.

Heavy clouds had rolled in just before I arrived home, so I got back just in time. I stopped the watch at 21.5km and when I slowed to a walk my legs weren't really able to do it properly. I had to stop and give them a bit of a rub to get them going again!

That's the first time I've done half-marathon distance and I have to say I enjoyed myself. It was definitely a good idea to change the scenery.

390549.jpg

Nice work Max and a great pic! I remember doing my first HM distance training run back in Feb, I was goosed for the entire week afterwards :pac:

I done mine too early though, you have been building up the mileage nicely this year so your recovery should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Well done on the run and the scenery looks beautiful. I like to use www.plotaroute.com to plan out my runs...might stop you from making the same mistake again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Worst 8 mile LSR ever! :)

I don't think there's that any harm in what you did, the sooner you increase the milage the better (with the obvious disclaimer that I'm a terrible person to listen to). Congrats on flying through the half-marathon distance, that's a great milestone. Do listen to your body and take it easy if it protests over the next few days.

Cheers guys and thanks for the input Singer. Disclaimer? Pah, on the contrary I want to be like you when I grow up (meaning about a year from now). :pac:

390549.jpg

Well done max, You can come stand in the corner with me, It was a lovely day for running.

Plan: Recovery

I did 30 minutes on very tired but otherwise fully functional legs. It's the first time I've felt the full benefit of recovery running, my legs are feeling a lot less stiff now than before. It was quite warm out there today.

Total: 4.3km @ 6:50/km

That brings me to 46.3km after the first week. Stepping back went well. :rolleyes: Both my active pairs of runners have over 400km on them so I might pick up a new pair today. Lifestyle have a sale on and there are some Asics GT-2000s for 100 quid that are winking at me seductively.

Lifestyle didn't get my business in the end. They only had size 8.5. :confused: Thankfully it worked out, since I was able to order new ones of both my current pairs (Asics GT 1000 and DS Trainer) for only 126 euro all in on Runningwarehouse. Currently in transit.

I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself today. It was one those days where I found myself wondering if all this training is even working as I plodded around at 10 minute mile pace, for what was supposed to be a pleasant evening jaunt around the local area, and instead inexplicably felt like I was working hard throughout. Thoughts of "Is this even working?" and "Have I got some sort of diabolically low limit that I've already reached?" ensued.

Total: 6.5km @ 6:13/km

I tried to console myself when I got home by reminding myself that I was running on 5 hours' sleep, am sort of dehydrated, and literally just ran the longest run of my life the other day.

• Advertisement

I tried to console myself when I got home by reminding myself that I was running on 5 hours' sleep, am sort of dehydrated, and literally just ran the longest run of my life the other day.

Marathon training is mostly about coping with running when fatigued. Welcome to the club :)

Well in that case I'm knocking it out of the park! :D

Plan: 5 Miles (3 @ PMP)

To say the form was much better today would be an understatement. I think we've nailed the problem - myself and the OH have been taking cetirizine occasionally this summer because we've both mysteriously started suffering from hay fever. She's been in an awful state this week nearly falling asleep at her desk in work and she was grand today after skipping the tablet. As it happens... I took one of them yesterday and it's the only day I did. I mean, hardly conclusive but it's pretty compelling.

Anyway, the run went well is what I'm saying, but I fecked up the PMP again. Too fast.

1.6k @ 6:33/km
    5.0k @ 5:19/km
    1.6k @ 6:02/km

Total: 8.2km @ 5:42/km

I'm feeling much more positive now. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Alternatively, you could say you were aiming for 5 miles at MP and got the average pace spot on. :)

Football. Bloody hell. I love football, but I have scarcely played it in the last decade bar the odd kickabout. My company have organised a series of events pitting the departments against one another though, and this time it was a five-a-side tournament at Irishtown Stadium. I'm a team player so I had to do my part of course.

Easy, I thought. All this running I'm doing, how hard can it be to run around a 20x30m pitch? The answer is very hard. The intensity was on another level all together and I was in bits after the first ten minute stint! The weather was amazing though and we won three of our five matches and only lost one. I even chipped in with a goal. Great crack altogether and hats off to the organisers. It left me pretty wiped out though for the short run that immediately followed...

Total: 5.0km @ 6:10/km (+unknown amount of sprinting)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Football. Bloody hell. I love football, but I have scarcely played it in the last decade bar the odd kickabout. My company have organised a series of events pitting the departments against one another though, and this time it was a five-a-side tournament at Irishtown Stadium. I'm a team player so I had to do my part of course.

Easy, I thought. All this running I'm doing, how hard can it be to run around a 20x30m pitch? The answer is very hard. The intensity was on another level all together and I was in bits after the first ten minute stint! The weather was amazing though and we won three of our five matches and only lost one. I even chipped in with a goal. Great crack altogether and hats off to the organisers. It left me pretty wiped out though for the short run that immediately followed...

Total: 5.0km @ 6:10/km (+unknown amount of sprinting)

Fair play Max, a couple of games a week will help a great deal with speedwork, great interval training. Maybe something to think about when the marathon is finished, only issue is, there is a much higher chance of an injury but you cant beat a good all game of 5 a side!

• Advertisement

It's a bit too risky during marathon training anyway, I got out unscathed today thankfully. :D

Plan: 10 Mile LSR

When I headed out for this yesterday afternoon it was overcast and looked like perfect conditions, but when I stepped out the door it was into a thick, moistening humidity. After a mile or two I was already sweating pretty heavily but the clouds looked like they were set to burst and I was looking forward to a nice fresh shower. Instead, the clouds decided to disappear and the sun came out and stuck around for the rest of the run.

I decided to do a grand tour of the major parks in the South Dublin area. Firstly down to Bushy Park, then on to Tymon, back via Dodder Valley Park and past, but not through, both St Enda's and Marlay. The majority of the time the heat wasn't really bothering me at all, but the cumulative effect of the amount of water I was losing was telling and I had used up my supply long before I finished. I also didn't bring any gels, which I would have if I'd known I was going to end up doing another half marathon. I was ready to stop by the time the end came.

I picked up a mean farmer's tan, so that was nice. And I drank a good 1.5 litres of Lucozade Sport afterwards. It's good to know my legs can now handle a run of this distance two weeks in a row.

Total: 21.1km @ 6:28/km

After the run I was straight into the car and off to Wicklow for an overnight camping trip with a gang of old friends. Much drinking and a 5am bed time means that I'm going to skip today's recovery run and not feel even slightly bad about it. I'm giving myself a free pass on this one.

Recovery:

I'm not sure how much value there is in doing a recovery a day late, but I was off work and I like to run so I went and did it. Extra miles have to be a good thing wherever they come from. I decided to use this as an opportunity to run as slowly as I possibly could, keeping an eye on the heart rate as I went.

It was most likely my slowest run ever and to be honest I found it to be a wholly uncomfortable and somewhat boring experience. I feel like my legs are just too long to be happy going at this pace and I'll probably never do it again. 6:30 to 6:45 is about as slow as I can go without hating the world and everything in it.

Total: 5.1km @ 7:15/km

1 mile is 1.61KM.

Feel this could be useful info for you based on your last 2 LSR's!! :p

Recovery:

I'm not sure how much value there is in doing a recovery a day late, but I was off work and I like to run so I went and did it. Extra miles have to be a good thing wherever they come from. I decided to use this as an opportunity to run as slowly as I possibly could, keeping an eye on the heart rate as I went.

It was most likely my slowest run ever and to be honest I found it to be a wholly uncomfortable and somewhat boring experience. I feel like my legs are just too long to be happy going at this pace and I'll probably never do it again. 6:30 to 6:45 is about as slow as I can go without hating the world and everything in it.

Total: 5.1km @ 7:15/km

Ah max slow running is easy it's the quick stuff that's difficult. Just take in the scenery and enjoy .

• Advertisement

HigginsJ wrote: »
    1 mile is 1.61KM.

Feel this could be useful info for you based on your last 2 LSR's!! :p

If I keep pretending a mile is around 2km, things are going to get pretty hairy when the 20 mile runs roll around. :pac:

In all seriousness though, I've just been picking a rough route that I know will exceed the prescribed run and I've really been enjoying it. It takes the mind off watching the kilometers tick by and turns it into a journey instead!
    The Muppet wrote: »
    Ah max slow running is easy it's the quick stuff that's difficult. Just take in the scenery and enjoy .

Hah! I was trying to be more like you, given how well it's working for you, but I just can't cope! :D You've a level of discipline that's just beyond me.

Hah! I was trying to be more like you, given how well it's working for you, but I just can't cope! :D You've a level of discipline slowness that's just beyond me.

Fixed that for you, It just comes natural to me.:cool:

Are you going to give sub 50 a go at Fingal?

I would have liked to but the consensus in the novice thread seems to be that I shouldn't be doing it at all, let alone racing it. I'm pretty conflicted about it! Are you doing it?

I would have liked to but the consensus in the novice thread seems to be that I shouldn't be doing it at all, let alone racing it. I'm pretty conflicted about it! Are you doing it?

Yes Im doing it, The advice is not to race it and I have said on the mentored thread I wouldnt but I have to admit Im conficted too , the closer it gets the more tempted I am to give it a lash. Sure no one will know.

If I keep pretending a mile is around 2km, things are going to get pretty hairy when the 20 mile runs roll around. :pac:

In all seriousness though, I've just been picking a rough route that I know will exceed the prescribed run and I've really been enjoying it. It takes the mind off watching the kilometers tick by and turns it into a journey instead!

Yea that 52Km marathon will be a killer!!

To be honest that is the method I am using for my long runs at the moment (admiteddly at alot shorter distances than you). It's nice going new roads and taking in new scenery, keeps it interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Can't quite master the slow running at all your way of me . I need some tips I do try to pull back but consistently fall back to around a ten min mile. Sneaking off to do Fingal despite marathon training ! Just can't help myself .

Can't quite master the slow running at all your way of me . I need some tips I do try to pull back but consistently fall back to around a ten min mile. Sneaking off to do Fingal despite marathon training ! Just can't help myself .

The advice id give is to shorten your stride, take in your surroundings and enjoy it, It does take a little gettting used to but you will feel much fresher on the quicker/longer runs once you get used to it.

Yes Im doing it, The advice is not to race it and I have said on the mentored thread I wouldnt but I have to admit Im conficted too , the closer it gets the more tempted I am to give it a lash. Sure no one will know.

I'm half thinking if I can do a 15m+ LSR on one of the next two weekends instead of the 13 in the plan, then I might be able to make a case for doing the race. The thing is, even then, I wouldn't be able to taper which is probably a killer. If you do give it a lash, have you a target in mind?

Have you a heart rate monitor? It definitely helps if you keep an eye on that and make it so that you 'win' if you keep below a target heart rate. :D Slowing down in general has been great for me, it's allowing me do far more miles with fewer niggles which I think will be more beneficial in the end than running less, faster.

I'm half thinking if I can do a 15m+ LSR on one of the next two weekends instead of the 13 in the plan, then I might be able to make a case for doing the race. The thing is, even then, I wouldn't be able to taper which is probably a killer. If you do give it a lash, have you a target in mind?.

Based on my 5k times I should be aiming around the 50 Minutes. I'll see how things go between now and then and how Im feeling on the day . I do intend to taper a little over the next two weeks . I'm guanteed a PB whatever , it'll be my first 10k race so I may not race it at all.

You know my views on this :D

If you're gonna enter the race...

• Advertisement

Did 4.

3c09d14adcdd6626599b630020298af374a0fd836295a829a62c17c45770fd64.jpg

Total: 6.45km @ 6:08/km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

. Sure no one will know.

Yah, like we're right here guys......:D

You don't have to take the advice but bear in mind it's given for a good reason ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I'm half thinking if I can do a 15m+ LSR on one of the next two weekends instead of the 13 in the plan, then I might be able to make a case for doing the race.

*spits out tea in shock* :D

I can't cope with such deviations from the plan, I need to lie down in dark room :p

Firedance wrote: »
    . Sure no one will know.

Yah, like we're right here guys......:D

You don't have to take the advice but bear in mind it's given for a good reason ;)

We're Busted Max .8-)

I'm PMSL here. :D

Plan: 5 Miles with 5 Hill Sprints

Today I realised that the planned run was long enough to get me home from work, which was great because that basically frees up an hour of my evening. It takes about as long to run home as my regular commute. Also, the route home from work is uphill overall and has the steepest inclines towards the end; perfect for hill sprints!

I brought a small bag in to work with my shorts, t-shirt and watch inside and all I had in it for the return trip was my shirt and slacks, so not too much of a hindrance. A good sign that training is actually paying off is the fact that this route felt quite considerably easier than the last time I did it a couple of months back. I was cruising home and when I passed 7km I stopped the watch, dropped my bag under a tree, and did 5 sprints up the hill before walking back down. I had intended to do a couple more but on the last one my groin felt a little strained (I might have sprinted too hard or not been relaxed enough) so I didn't chance it.

Restarted the watch and jogged the last km home. Free hour to chill out and watch cats doing stupid things on YouTube or something!

Total: 8.16km @ 6:04/km (+5x HS)

Plan: 4 Miles Easy

My relationship with today's run was very workmanlike. A poor night's sleep and heavyish legs meant I wasn't really feeling the love, so it was just a matter of getting it out and getting it done. My desire to be at home on the couch appears to have spurred me on, because according to Strava I gradually sped up throughout until I was faster than PMP in the 5th kilometer. Whoops.

Total: 6.45km @ 6:00/km

Oh 'twas a tough auld weekend on the running front, but I got through it (just about).

Yesterday, Plan: ????

I woke up at the crack of dawn yesterday with a sneezing fit and the heaviest dose of hay fever I've ever experienced. I got up and had a glass of water, took some antihistamines, and relocated to the couch to allow my OH her lie in. With these particular antihistamines it's a case of the cure being only marginally better than the disease. The sneezing and the stinging in the throat and eyes were gone, but replaced by an overwhelming drowsiness that led to most of the day being wasted fading in and out of a doze. The LSR was out, but as the day wore on I managed to summon up the energy to get outside and do something.

Total: 6.2km @ 6:02/km

Today, Plan: 13 Mile LSR

The LSR had to be did though, so I had decided to move it to today when things would hopefully be better. Instead, they were worse.

I was awakened even earlier, 5:50am, with a similar sneezing fit and once again got up and relocated myself to the couch. This time I was determined not to ruin my day with one of those wretched pills and tried to wait it out. It only got worse, and worse. By 7am I capitulated and took the pill so I could get some sleep. When I woke up, the worst of the symptoms were gone but my sinuses were in a jock and once again I was lethargic beyond belief.

Nevertheless, I ate, waited a bit, got my gear together and ventured outside. I was unusually well prepared today, bringing some money and a gel along with me, as well as dissolving an electrolyte tab in my water bottle. Thank God I did all of those things.

I had anticipated having to battle the drugs and the drowsiness, but thought I'd be okay. I didn't factor in the ungodly heat though, which was the straw that broke... well me. By mile 2 I was already having second thoughts and parts of my brain were whispering "This just isn't going to happen Maxy my boy, might as well turn around." I was determined not to listen.

I had planned an out-and-back to Dun Laoghaire, similar to the one I did a fortnight ago, but by the time I was approaching the coast I simply couldn't stomach the thought of having to retrace my route, uphill and into the sun, all the way home. I was ready to quit until I realised I could just follow the coast towards the city instead and it would be relatively flat.

By mile 7 my water was gone and I was sweating profusely when a garage popped in to view. I remembered my wonderful, wonderful tenner. In I went and bought a big ice cold bottle of water, and as the cashier reached out to hand me my change I looked at my arms and hands, dripping sweat and salt and said "You can just put it on the counter if you like; I'm disgusting."

I drank some, refilled my handheld bottle, and threw the rest over me. I popped my gel and then I was back underway. I now had a plan again which kept me sane. I'd run down to grand canal dock and then double back along the canal to the LUAS at Charlemont, which I could take home. My mental maths seemed to suggest it would work out about right. At this stage I'd given myself a bit of a second wind, but by the time I was moving through Ballsbridge I was out on my feet again. It was an almighty struggle from about 16km onward and my mind was completely preoccupied with thoughts of "10 miles will do, just stop. NO. Come on... NO."

I had to stop again for about 30 seconds at 17km to rub down parts of my legs which had gone very stiff. Even when there were only 500m to go there were parts of my mind shouting "Close enough. You can stop now, it's okay." When I finally approached Charlemont and my watch beeped for 21km I stopped instantly and clamoured into the closest bit of shade to sip on what little remained of my water. Then it was on to the LUAS and home, feeling exactly like a deflated balloon lying on the dance floor the morning after a wedding.

Total: 21km @ 6:23/km

It's quite possible that was the worst run I'll have throughout this entire training cycle. The unique combination of shagged sinuses, evil, horrid drugs and the intense heat are unlikely to be repeated. But I got through it, so that's positive. I'm not moving from this seat for the rest of the evening though.

53.5km for the week (new record).

Tough run max but it's behind you now and we learn a lot from them .

How many days did you run this week?

Mind yourself.

• Advertisement

... only six. :o

Advertisement