Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can Klopp get Liverpool into the Top 4 this season

• 08-10-2015 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry folks it had to be done as there is no way to have a poll within the Liverpool thread.

Eight games gone currently placed 10th on 12 points which is 3 points off 4th place Crystal Palace. Can a Klopp inspired Liverpool nick a place or shall they fall short?

Can Klopp get Liverpool into the Top 4 this season 296 votes

yes top 4
    0% 0 votes
    no but can make europa league
    53% 159 votes
    no but not even europa league
    46% 137 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

The answer is yes especially if he gets off to a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Think it's too big a job for him to get Liverpool to the top 4 this season.

Personally I'd be happy enough with a strong push towards the end of the season and 5th place, then have a strong go at next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Poll lacks a league winners option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Not expecting him to but would be foolish to say it's impossible. I'd say he will definitely be targeting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Oat23 wrote: »
    Poll lacks a league winners option.

I wanted to avoid any accusations of hubris!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Of course he can, he can win the league, do I think he will is a different question

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Usually i'd say no - but they are just 3 points of the top 4. So you never know. I think Chelsea will just edge it over them in the end though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

This will not end well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I certainly hope it will go well.
    What with Jose getting the 3 year itch, its certainly achievable.

I've a niggling feeling that Klopp won't see out his term though..
    He's an emotional manager & while its all affable & charming when things are going well, he can turn sour, very fast when things aren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Think there four better teams in the premuer league ti be fair, by the Europa League is definitely back on.

To the people who said yes: id he did, who do you think would miss out?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I fancy Spurs as well as us to be pushing for top 4. We have tough games coming up so I expect us to drop points but come the end of the season I think we can finish 4th & above Man Utd unless they buy a very good striker/forward in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Think there four better teams in the premuer league ti be fair, by the Europa League is definitely back on.

Chelsea, probably.

Nobody has ever made 4th with such a bad start.

That said, not many have their resources to pump in come January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭Hitchens

he could end up known as Klop the Flop :pac:

It's hard to say over the course of a season, but any club can have an injury crisis which would hobble them. Maybe Chelsea don't get out of the hole they are in quickly enough, maybe Aguero gets injured, maybe Man U lose a key player or 2, maybe Sanchez is injured or maybe any one of the above teams burns out at a certain stage in the season. It's hard to predict the effect of a European of domestic cup run on a team.

No one is running away with it just yet and almost every side has had a dodgy spell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

66/1 for the league, I've thrown €20 on it for Lols.

I'd be more interested in the UEFA cup odds, think he might make an impact there first. Highly speculative, not saying they will win it but it's worth a speculative 10er

• Site Banned Posts: 143 ✭✭Fellaindinho

66/1 for the league, I've thrown €20 on it for Lols.

I'll give you 1000/1 if you wanna throw me 100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I wanted to avoid any accusations of hubris!

I think you've already failed with that objective.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Because you'd be good to pay out 100k?

Billy big balls right here folks. Would he pay up? 100k to the winner.

No, would he fck.

All fart, no shyte I suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Given where Chelsea are at I'd expect a top 4 challenge anyway.

Needs to sort out the home form pronto ad we'll have the usual top 6 teams at home in the second half of the season, plus Everton.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Oat23 wrote: »
    Poll lacks a next year will be our year option.

fyp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭RayCon

He's not even confirmed yet ....... could be in Liverpool for a stag party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

All fart, no shyte I suspect.
    :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

To be honest they are only 3 points off 4th now and considering how poor Chelsea have been it's not too hard to imagine Liverpool getting 4th with a better manager esp when a new manager probably means more investment come January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I think he can get them to top 4 this season. I dont think he will though. There will be an initial boost you feel, but I just can't see him stamping himself on the team enough to get them there this year, of course if Chelsea continue to flounder it will b e possible.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Depends when Chelsea get their arse in gear but I reckon he'll get them challenging strongly for it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

If Chelsea don't get their circus in order, I think it's Liverpool's to lose. The alternative is Spurs, and they generally get nose bleeds if they go higher than 5th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

He might, but I'm not expecting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'll be the neutral boards member and hold Fellaindinho £100k in my bank account till the end of the season if you two really want to make that bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Better of building a good team together and having a good run at the prem next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

No. Lervpool is small club. Small steadium. Small groundskeeper. I dont like dem, so no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Extremely unlikely. Klopp is no better than the managers at the established top 4 so with inferior players than those do at their disposal, the odds are against him. Best chance is if Chelsea underachieve over the course of the season, but with that being said I'd still bet my life savings on Chelsea against Liverpool at evens in a season match bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Teflon Ron

If I had to bet, I'd say yes. I just can't see him not succeeding for some reason.

He might, but I'm not expecting it.

That's my feelings on the matter too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

The squad itself is a decent squad. Sadly Rodgers was the weak link. Ive no doubt that klopp can lead us to 4th spot. I wonder who his best XI will be in his eyes?

Nevertheless...exciting times at Anfield ahead.

Has the amateur bookmaker closed up shop and gone home to learn his times tables?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

CSF wrote: »
    Extremely unlikely. Klopp is no better than the managers at the established top 4 so with inferior players than those do at their disposal, the odds are against him. Best chance is if Chelsea underachieve over the course of the season, but with that being said I'd still bet my life savings on Chelsea against Liverpool at evens in a season match bet.

I don't see why it is that unlikely. The same squad nearly won the league. I know Suarez was huge but we are talking about top 4 not winning the league.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    The squad itself is a decent squad. Sadly Rodgers was the weak link. Ive no doubt that klopp can lead us to 4th spot. I wonder who his best XI will be in his eyes?

Nevertheless...exciting times at Anfield ahead.

It's really not great. Klopp will have to spend to get Liverpool where he wants them, and even at that I don't look at him and think 'yeah he is clearly better than Wenger/Pellegrini/Van Gaal/Mourinho'.

He has a tough job ahead of him and I think he knows that.

niallo27 wrote: »
    I don't see why it is that unlikely. The same squad nearly won the league. I know Suarez was huge but we are talking about top 4 not winning the league.

No, they didn't. Suarez, Sterling, Gerrard, all gone. Sturridge and Flanagan no longer seem capable of having the same impact over the course of the season. Much changed.

• Advertisement

Nobody said Liverpool had a great squad, nobody knows how good the current team can perform, because there's no way Rodgers was utilising them properly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

No, Europa League for me.

What is more important for him to do is establish a coherent way forward and a clear plan, not the muddled mess left behind by the previous manager

Grayditch wrote: »
    Nobody said Liverpool had a great squad, nobody knows how good the current team can perform, because there's no way Rodgers was utilising them properly.

Sure look you could make that same argument about Sunderland. It doesn't hold any weight.

No, they didn't. Suarez, Sterling, Gerrard, all gone. Sturridge and Flanagan no longer seem capable of having the same impact over the course of the season. Much changed.

Too early to call on sturridge. If he stayed fit I think they would have got top 4 last year. Benteke is a proven goslscorer. The squad is actually stronger in depth but missing that bit of brilliance. To say they have no chance of top 4 makes no sense.

Too early to call on sturridge. If he stayed fit I think they would have got top 4 last year. Benteke is a proven goslscorer. The squad is actually stronger in depth but missing that bit of brilliance. To say they have no chance of top 4 makes no sense.

I didn't say they have no chance of top 4 though. I said they've a weaker squad than the ones they're competing with so Klopp is up against it.

Sure look you could make that same argument about Sunderland. It doesn't hold any weight.

Your argument doesn't really allow for players Liverpool currently have to get better. You've judged the squad based on the way Rodgers set it up. Markovic could come back and actually be played to his strengths. Firminho could gain form we've seen in Germany. This is a "could" versus "won't" and there's not a lot on the differences in weight.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Your argument doesn't really allow for players Liverpool currently have to get better. You've judged the squad based on the way Rodgers set it up. Markovic could come back and actually be played to his strengths. Firminho could gain form we've seen in Germany. This is a "could" versus "won't" and there's not a lot on the differences in weight.

But I didn't say it is impossible, I said it is extremely unlikely. Markovic and Firmino suddenly becoming Premier League world beaters this season is unlikely.

I didn't say they have no chance of top 4 though. I said they've a weaker squad than the ones they're competing with so Klopp is up against it.

You said it was extremely unlikely which is pretty much as close to no chance as you can get.

You said it was extremely unlikely which is pretty much as close to no chance as you can get.

I'd stand by my extremely unlikely. There are teams in there with better players and managers who've won as much, some of them more. Only a mug wouldn't back those teams to finish ahead.

But I didn't say it is impossible, I said it is extremely unlikely. Markovic and Firmino suddenly becoming Premier League world beaters this season is unlikely.

I don't think they'd need to become world beaters to start bringing the squad up to United's level, making things look a lot closer in the race for either to take the 4th spot, that being with the presumption that I also agree with which is that Chelsea will be grand soon, and probably take 3rd.

I just don't think it's distant enough to be extremely unlikely. I don't think we'll make 4th personally, but it's because a new system has to be put in place rather than a squad who wouldn't be able to get top 4.

• Advertisement
Advertisement