Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can Klopp get Liverpool into the Top 4 this season

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Grayditch wrote: »
    I don't think they'd need to become world beaters to start bringing the squad up to United's level, making things look a lot closer in the race for either to take the 4th spot, that being with the presumption that I also agree with which is that Chelsea will be grand soon, and probably take 3rd.

I just don't think it's distant enough to be extremely unlikely. I don't think we'll make 4th personally, but it's because a new system has to be put in place rather than a squad who wouldn't be able to get top 4.

There's a pretty big gap between Man United and Liverpool in terms of what is in the squad IMO. I would legitimately bet any amount of money with you on United finishing ahead of Liverpool, and I'd do a hefty enough bet on next season too.

Klopp is a good manager but he is not a magician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Billy big balls right here folks. Would he pay up? 100k to the winner.

No, would he fck.

All fart, no shyte I suspect.

On the contrary,all shyte I'd say!:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

CSF wrote: »
    There's a pretty big gap between Man United and Liverpool in terms of what is in the squad IMO. I would legitimately bet any amount of money with you on United finishing ahead of Liverpool, and I'd do a hefty enough bet on next season too.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the squads l. And he'd hardly need to be a magician to get Liverpool to top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

A few players and they nearly won the league though. I know I keep saying it but it's a fact that squad was brilliant when it clicked. Suarez was huge but sterling was only 18 and Gerrard 34.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think everything below second place is up for grabs. Chelsea have been awful, Arsenal and United inconsistent and even City have had a wobble. This could be a season when someone outside the traditional top teams breaks in - if Spurs or Southampton could put together a run or if Palace could keep up their start, you wouldn't know how things could end up. There's definitely Champions League places up for grabs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

United are relying on a kid who has been in the country for 2 months to score the vast majority of their goals.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

He can get Liverpool to the top 4, but he probably won't.

niallo27 wrote: »
    A few players and they nearly won the league though. I know I keep saying it but it's a fact that squad was brilliant when it clicked. Suarez was huge but sterling was only 18 and Gerrard 34.

Suarez was the most important player by a mile. Gerrard and Sterling were 2 of the other more important players. You can't take that much of what made Liverpool good away and still use it as reference to what's going on now.

Suarez was irreplaceable and it's only natural that Liverpool have regressed massively without him. That's what world class players do. What would Barca be without Messi? Real without Ronaldo? And these are teams with other world class players in the team already.

United are relying on a kid who has been in the country for 2 months to score the vast majority of their goals.

25% actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Yep it's definitely possible.

With Rodgers, no chance. But klopp will give the whole club a big lift.

Suarez was the most important player by a mile. Gerrard and Sterling were 2 of the other more important players. You can't take that much of what made Liverpool good away and still use it as reference to what's going on now.

Suarez was irreplaceable and it's only natural that Liverpool have regressed massively without him. That's what world class players do. What would Barca be without Messi? Real without Ronaldo? And these are teams with other world class players in the team already.

Oh I agree with you he was huge but I am not talking about winning the league I'm talking about top 4. We will have to agree to disagree.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Oh I agree with you he was huge but I am not talking about winning the league I'm talking about top 4. We will have to agree to disagree.

Liverpool never won the league though, even with Suarez. They've been a shadow of the team without him. I'm not saying it was all Suarez then either, Gerrard, Sturridge, Sterling and Flanagan were all great too, but since then nobody has stepped up to even marginally fill that gigantic Suarez void. Nobody was ever going to be able to properly fill it but I think that blaming Rodgers for few players stepping up at all is harsh.

A prolonged spell of fitness for Sturridge helps, but nobody else strikes me as being able to spur the team on the way Suarez did that year. Lots of very ordinary players there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I'll be the neutral boards member and hold Fellaindinho £100k in my bank account till the end of the season if you two really want to make that bet.

The bright lights of Wexford are beckoning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

zerks wrote: »

2nd in the league and automatic CL qualification. It would be an excellent start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

If Chelsea keep floundering, then I don't see why not - 4th will be wide open. If they turn it around then I wouldn't be expecting miracles, you'll only be bringing heartache onto yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

It's expectations like this that was the downfall of Rodgers. He's not even played a game yet or met the majority of his players. In the short term an upwards trajectory is as likely as a downward trajectory. If he does make it then great job and all that jazz but if he doesn't make it this season or next will the hounds be out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

A definitive no from me.

Klopp will need time to put in place the style he wants to the team to play (Will it be what he did at Dortmund, or maybe something new or tweaked?) and will need a few transfers windows to sort out the squad into the group he wants.

I think also a lot depends on the established top 4 also. City and Arsenal are very much safe in that regard. Chelsea after such a rubbish start, it's not a given for them in the top 4, although you would have to think they will sort themselves out and get in there. United are also not a given, although as a fan I'll keep positive and hope a title challenege is maintained and top 4 secured.

A lot will depend on the pressure he feels and also how patient Liverpool fans are with him. As a Liverpool fan I would look at not next season, but the season after in regards to making a push. Klopp will have the guts of two seasons working with the team and shaping the squad, and at that point there will be some managerial changes in the established top 4. The major one being Van Gaal leaving, and who he is replaced with will have massive bearing.

Liverpools best chance of top 4 in my eyes, is capitalising on change or uncertainty within one of the big 4, as happened during Moyes reign at United for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

I think a lot depends on if Chelsea turn things around. Liverpool can challenge for the top 4 certainly, but they need some better players to mount a title challenge. Hiring Klopp is definitely a step in the right direction though.

My excitement as a neutral is for next season or beyond. I hope Klopp does turn Liverpool into a legitimate contender, England loses the 4th Champions League place and you've 5 teams legitimately contesting 3 places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The top three teams are most likely to be in alphabetical order - Arsenal, City and United.
    The fourth spot is open for several teams and a good run for any team makes it a possibility and that includes Liverpool. Chelsea look burned out at the moment, but who knows, they may turn it around.
    At the moment I would put the 4th place as being a battle between Liverpool, Spurs and Everton, maybe we get a surprise.
    So the verdict is - possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Liam O wrote: »
    It's expectations like this that was the downfall of Rodgers.

Really? I thought it was the poor results and terrible performances mainly caused by playing certain players out of position, constantly changing formations, persisting with out of form players, overspending on the wrong players, etc. etc.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's a hard one to call. On one hand the Liverpool squad has not looked good enough to make a challenge for the top four but on the other hand a lot of those players were being played out of position and never got a chance to show what they could do in their preferred position on the field.

Klopp could walk in there now and find that he has exactly what he wants for his style of football. I'm looking at a player like Emre Can being let loose in a box to box role in midfield, a la Gundogan, which is where he played before he got to Liverpool.

There are so many possibilities with the squad as it is. I'm sure come January he will look to bring in some players but he mightn't need to shake up this squad as much as people think.

I'll vote yes he can but there is no certainty, we really don't know what this squad of players is capable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Have to admit its the most envious I have been of a manager joining a club. I think he is capable of wakening the club up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Its achievable, but it won't be easy. I'm off to wait for the "our year" threads.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Voted yes . Partly pure optimism :) , partly because we are only 3 behind and its oct. It doesnt need a massive swing or run to get up there , rather consistincy . Oh and cautious excitment about our new manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's a hard one to call. On one hand the Liverpool squad has not looked good enough to make a challenge for the top four but on the other hand a lot of those players were being played out of position and never got a chance to show what they could do in their preferred position on the field.

Klopp could walk in there now and find that he has exactly what he wants for his style of football. I'm looking at a player like Emre Can being let loose in a box to box role in midfield, a la Gundogan, which is where he played before he got to Liverpool.

There are so many possibilities with the squad as it is. I'm sure come January he will look to bring in some players but he mightn't need to shake up this squad as much as people think.

I'll vote yes he can but there is no certainty, we really don't know what this squad of players is capable of.

While I'd agree, largely, Can was played a lot at LB for Leverkusen.

He did quite well there for them too, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Rivalries aside it's good to see Klopp in the premiership. He is an infectious guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I don't see why not.

They're only 3 points off 4th at the minute and the teams ahead of them are Palace, Leicester, West Ham, Everton, Tottenham and Southampton. I'd expect that if Liverpool are behind any of those teams after 38 games that they'll have had a poor season. Chelsea are the only team behind them in the table that should be expected to finish ahead of them.

Can he realistically do it? Absolutely. Will he? Who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Chelsea look fecked so obviously there's a chance Pool could slip in top 4.

The squad isn't great though, some poor players in that defence and midfield. A great idea to give Rodgers a chest of cash and then sack him 2 months in. If it doesn't happen this season Klopp will bring in 3 or 4 players and Pool will be genuine top 4 challengers again next season

• Advertisement

25% actually.

Where are the other 75% coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Klopp maybe, Emre Can don't think so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

The most frustrating thing about watching late-era Rodgers Liverpool is the knowledge that the players are so much better than he had them playing-at least with the Hodgson/Daglish batch you knew they were playing sh1t because they were sh1t and any positive results they scraped were an added bonus. I just don't buy this "poor squad compared to their rivals" argument at all-I'd even say that only Man City's is indisputably better.
    Benteke, (a fit) Sturridge and Ings are well capable of getting 50 goals between them; there's plenty of ammo and a few more goals available from the Brazilians and Lallana; the water-carrier midfielders are all solid, hard workers, and the defence isn't half as bad as people would have you believe-remember they had more clean sheets that Arsenal or Man U and the same as City last year. With a bit of better organisation and some self-belief they could really surprise a lot of people over the next 30 games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Teflon Ron

Where are the other 75% coming from?

Man Utd have scored 12 premier league goals so far this season. Martial has scored 3 of them. Which is a quarter. A quarter is equalled to 25%.

Mata has also scored 3. Rooney, Scheiderlin etc make up the other 50%.

It's really not that difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Why not? I don't think you have to be a brilliant team to get 4th. Win a title yes but not 4th.

Liverpool were dire for most of last season and didn't have a functioning striker for a lot of it but were still well in the hunt for 4th in April somehow.

Klopp with a functioning Sturridge and Benteke? Not impossible I would think but only time will tell.

Teflon Ron wrote: »
    Man Utd have scored 12 premier league goals so far this season. Martial has scored 3 of them. Which is a quarter. A quarter is equalled to 25%.

Mata has also scored 3. Rooney, Scheiderlin etc make up the other 50%.

You're really cute but I quite clearly meant over the course of the entire season. Uniteds main striker is a kid who is just starting out in the league hence they will be relying on him to score the majority of their goals.

Main striker - main goalscorer - expected to get majority of goals scored by the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

You're really cute but I quite clearly meant over the course of the entire season. Uniteds main striker is a kid who is just starting out in the league hence they will be relying on him to score the majority of their goals.

Main striker - main goalscorer - expected to get majority of goals scored by the team.

How many goals do you think United will score this season and how many do you think Martial will score this season?

Liam O wrote: »
    How many goals do you think United will score this season and how many do you think Martial will score this season?

He won't score enough to have United in the top 4. He looks an exceptional talent but to rely on him solely is borderline insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Martial has the ability to score plenty of goals this season. The problem is will the players behind him create the chances for him. I have my doubts given LVG's style of play so far this season. All 3 goals so far hes basically made for himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

The quality of the premier league is as bad as I can remember and it is not as if it would take a miracle to get top 4.

LVG showed last year what a manager with a bit of a clue can do with a poor bunch of players and they grinded out a top 4 finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭QuantumP

I think they'll just miss out on 4th spot, no more than a couple of points off the mark. Utd/Chelsea/Arsenal all battling to stay in there and City will eventually open up a modest gap and stay ahead of the pack relatively untouched. Gonna be a very interesting season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

City have a few World and European class players and should win the league if they keep them fit.

Utd are as average as they have been in 25 years but they have an experienced manger who is getting the best out of that squad that has a handful of very good players

Arsenal are Arsenal and will finish in the top 4 probably 4th

Chelsea are in free fall and if they can get back into the race by January the Check book will come out or Jose will be sacked.

Is top 4 out of the question no it isn't will Liverpool get it I'd guess yes just but as a Liverpool fan I am just looking forward to an adventure under Klopp this season whatever comes of it I will be entertained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I Would have thought winning Europa would be his objective this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I Would have thought winning Europa would be his objective this season.

It would be a lot easier to get top 4 then win the Europa.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I think top four is not beyond the realms of possibility but they would want to be getting the act in gear once the international break is finished.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

He's a quality manager but you need good tools to work and lets be honest they aren't the best players there to really push hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭Sand

It would be a lot easier to get top 4 then win the Europa.

Not really - Top 4 means being better than the likes of Arsenal, United, City and Chelsea over the course of 38 games. Which Liverpool aren't. Even if one of them slip, there is a lot of good sides who are more than a match for Liverpool like Spurs, Southampton, West Ham, Crystal Palace and so on.

The Europa is ultimately a cup competition of the sides who cant get into the CL and who don't have the financial resources of even a top 10 side in the EPL. And Liverpool only needs to get a result over 2 games in any given tie, not 38. Liverpool have more of a chance making an impact there than making top 4.

Whatever you make of Klopp, the reality is the Liverpool squad is fairly poor and was built up by a possession focused manager. Klopp on the other hand is an emotion based, blood and guts manager. He will need to do a lot of work to replace Rodgers ideal of a good footballer with his own. And that's even if the transfer committee has been disbanded which it likely hasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Sorry folks it had to be done as there is no way to have a poll within the Liverpool thread.

Eight games gone currently placed 10th on 12 points which is 3 points off 4th place Crystal Palace. Can a Klopp inspired Liverpool nick a place or shall they fall short?

Fkucin A :)

Sand wrote: »
    Not really - Top 4 means being better than the likes of Arsenal, United, City and Chelsea over the course of 38 games. Which Liverpool aren't. Even if one of them slip, there is a lot of good sides who are more than a match for Liverpool like Spurs, Southampton, West Ham, Crystal Palace and so on.

The Europa is ultimately a cup competition of the sides who cant get into the CL and who don't have the financial resources of even a top 10 side in the EPL. And Liverpool only needs to get a result over 2 games in any given tie, not 38. Liverpool have more of a chance making an impact there than making top 4.

Whatever you make of Klopp, the reality is the Liverpool squad is fairly poor and was built up by a possession focused manager. Klopp on the other hand is an emotion based, blood and guts manager. He will need to do a lot of work to replace Rodgers ideal of a good footballer with his own. And that's even if the transfer committee has been disbanded which it likely hasn't.

So you're still saying Moyes would have been a better appointment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Do Liverpool have the highest wage bill in the Europa league?

• Advertisement
Advertisement