Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Debit Card Failed To Issue

• 08-10-2015 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi all, my debit card expired at the end of September and normally a new one would issue to replace it about a month or so before expiry. Up to a week before expiry a new card had still not used at which point I contacted my bank about it. They simply responded to apologise for the non issuance of the card and that it would be delivered within 7 days. I have only received the card today and was without a debit card for the last week. I believe not only is this terrible customer service but it also represents a serious failure of the bank's systems. Does this amount to a breach of contract in some way to me? It's such a basic fundamental expectation that your bank issues you with a replacement debit card when your old card expires.

Naturally I intend to write a letter of complaint to raise a number of concerns:

Why did the card fail to issue? There was no explanation provided to me. How do I know the card was not mistakenly issued to someone else?

Why did it take so long to issue to me after the bank were made aware of the problem?

I intend to seek a refund of credit card charges incurred as I had no other convenient access to funds but through my credit card.

Should I be seeking some other form of redress here or could I potentially take some kind of legal action against the bank? I'm not naming the bank in case this causes some issues on Boards.ie.

Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Kung Lao wrote: »
    Hi all, my debit card expired at the end of September:...

When considering seeking redress or initiating legal action, consider what material loss you suffered, did you suffer material loss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What damages could you look for? What Credit card charges have you over and above if you'd used a debit card? I don't think there is actually any breach of contract here. Mistakes happen. Every company and every one of us has slipped up at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Kung Lao

I agree, it's not a whole lot of cost in fairness but the inconvenience of it more so. Using your credit card at an atm is considered a cash advance and incurs a charge along with a potential credit rating effect, as it suggests that you have literally run out of cash and require an advance using your credit card. Therefore I'd like any potential effects of this removed.

I also think calling it a "slip up" is a bit of a joke. This is a large bank, how can something as basic as this happen? Picture yourself not having a bank card for even a day or two, never mind a week, it's actually such a ubiquitous part of everyday life that it's very hard to function without it.

Complaining and seeking an explanation and a refund of any credit card charges and/or associated effects of using the credit card at the atm is probably the best course of action so?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bank could likely argue you left matter to last min and once informed they took a reasonable action to resolve the matter,

You're use of a credit card for cash withdrawals was your own decision, you likely could have gone on branch and explained issue and withdrawn cash had you provided id and other appropriate details. Did you attempt this?

Claiming you want credit card charges from a credit card refunded is sort of like claiming you had no choice but to get a loan from wonga and now you want the interest paid by the bank.

It seems you had choices, but it doesn't appear you considered the other choices.

Am I crazy? Bank does not issue card for whatever reason and this is considered acceptable? Of course I'm aware I could have withdrawn cash from a branch, I did not have this option available to me as I work during the bank's limited opening hours. This is why a debit card is useful.

Consumer forum representing the side of the business as usual I see. Keep up the good work lads.

I look forward to my ban.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Nah, people are just being reasonable. It's understandable that you feel inconvenienced. It's even (kind of) understandable that you'd want to get them to pay the small fees you incurred on your credit card. But to try bleed more out of them for what was really only a mild inconvenience, it just feels like the kind of petty "sue everyone" American attitude. And then, when people disagree with your "gimme" standpoint, you act like a petulant victim.

Well who else is the victim here, the bank? Who else has been inconvenienced?

Lend me your debit card for a week, see how you get on without it. You can pop into your local branch for a chat with your pals that you are so fond of. Sure what's the point in even having a card.

The point here is not the small cost incurred or even the inconvenience, it's the complete failure to provide a basic service. I am not a "gimme" type person and I agree with your views on this. I would not like to see a litigious society develop here as it has in the US. But I am pissed off and feel aggrieved and want to exact some satisfaction. I suppose the most obvious way is to close my account and cease all dealings with that bank, which I will probably do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

No ban, but don't open a thread asking for advice you aren't willing to accept. It's a waste of your time, but more importantly those who give their time to help you and are repaid with rudeness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement